Over heating issue poll
17144 423 2023-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dfenton
lvl.1
Ireland

I'm very impressed that DJI responded to this so quickly. Excellent customer service. Good to see them listening to their customers.
2023-11-13
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-13 12:10
I think you’ll now find dji have issued new firmware and it appears to be successful.

Ah I didn’t notice a new firmware. Do we know what they have done exactly?Gonna go check mine and update shortly!!
2023-11-13
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

IftiBashir Posted at 11-13 13:12
Ah I didn’t notice a new firmware. Do we know what they have done exactly?Gonna go check mine and update shortly!!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 495&pid=3177918

This is the only information I’ve seen , the mimo app was also updated.
2023-11-13
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-13 13:20
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=301495&pid=3177918

This is the only information I’ve seen , the mimo app was also updated.

Just updated - the release notes are the same as the previous update, so not sure exactly what the 01.01.0870 latest update does. I’m not bothering ‘testing’ my unit - just going to continue to use as I need to……. ;)
2023-11-13
Use props
OviOptiK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 828323 ft
Romania

I think you’ll now find dji have issued new firmware and it appears to be successful.

Ready! I installed the new version (V01.01.08.70). Nothing is specified about overheating but..., we'll see. Thank you very much!
2023-11-13
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

OviOptiK Posted at 11-13 13:31
Ready! I installed the new version (V01.01.08.70). Nothing is specified about overheating but..., we'll see. Thank you very much!

Message from dji rep.

2023-11-13
Use props
ChMueller001
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2023-11-13
Use props
ChMueller001
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

I measured the temperature before the new firmware and after it. For me it seems that they simply removed the EU check in the same way as the crackconfig script did it before. The temperature directly at the gimbal is at around 56 degrees after 40 min 4K60 recording and it stays around that after an hour. Maybe they found an agreement with the EU because only the gimbal itself gets so hot.
2023-11-13
Use props
Cmdr Kharma
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Excellent, I'll put it back on my shopping list and move the Legion Go down a bit.

Oh and when I said USA etc, I meant all other countries as well, not just the USA. ;)
2023-11-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ChMueller001 Posted at 11-13 14:02
I measured the temperature before the new firmware and after it. For me it seems that they simply removed the EU check in the same way as the crackconfig script did it before. The temperature directly at the gimbal is at around 56 degrees after 40 min 4K60 recording and it stays around that after an hour. Maybe they found an agreement with the EU because only the gimbal itself gets so hot.

With or without battery handle?
2023-11-14
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-14 03:39
With or without battery handle?

I tested with and without the handle. There is no problem using in 4k 60fps. I didn’t test 4k120 but I’m not sure anyone has a need for 1 hour recording of slow motion.;+)
2023-11-14
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geo_Drone Posted at 11-9 03:25
Yes, as H265 codec is using blocks for encryption and P-frames are faster if you get noise (more data), any 10bit format in this environment will have a faster heating of OP3.
Still, as one member here tested also H264, seems that this easier codec is also causing an Overheat, but after a while.
We can conclude that can be any or a part of this:

Looks like you got all that wrong again,  every single bit of it. Pocket 3 working really well now if only battery was more powerful we could run it even longer, no overheating problem with pocket 3……

Just as well people didn’t take your advice or else they wouldn’t have a pocket 3 now
2023-11-14
Use props
OviOptiK
lvl.2
Romania

It seems that the ultium firmware update for Pocket 3 solved the heating problem for devices sold in Europe. I filmed 54 minutes of 4k 60fps D-log and I still had 10% battery and it was still filming. Respect, DJI!
2023-11-14
Use props
OviOptiK
lvl.2
Romania

It seems that the ultium firmware update for Pocket 3 solved the heating problem for devices sold in Europe. I filmed 54 minutes of 4k 60fps D-log and I still had 10% battery and it was still filming. Respect, DJI! Many thanks to you too Hallmark007 for all the replies!
2023-11-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'm glad you owners - of whom I am jealous - now have a fix, but I am puzzled that after 3 years of development and presumably a fair bit of testing, DJI got this wrong in the first place.  Still, all's well that ends well.
2023-11-14
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-14 14:40
I'm glad you owners - of whom I am jealous - now have a fix, but I am puzzled that after 3 years of development and presumably a fair bit of testing, DJI got this wrong in the first place.  Still, all's well that ends well.

I think it was the software for Europe that was wrong and this is why they were able to correct it quickly. I’ve seen this with many dji products on release I expect the beta testing is not rigid as it should be. It’s fixed now so next should be trying to get other teething problems and improvements sorted.
2023-11-14
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

OviOptiK Posted at 11-14 14:28
It seems that the ultium firmware update for Pocket 3 solved the heating problem for devices sold in Europe. I filmed 54 minutes of 4k 60fps D-log and I still had 10% battery and it was still filming. Respect, DJI! Many thanks to you too Hallmark007 for all the replies!

Thanks you’re welcome, enjoy the P3.
2023-11-14
Use props
OviOptiK
lvl.2
Romania

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-14 15:38
Thanks you’re welcome, enjoy the P3.

THX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2023-11-14
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I got a new DOA replacement Pocket 3 and installed the latest firmware. This camera and its gimbal is performing a lot better than the other I returned. Don't know because the camera or firmware but it is a lot better in many ways like gimbal behavior.
2023-11-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aavis Posted at 11-15 10:56
I got a new DOA replacement Pocket 3 and installed the latest firmware. This camera and its gimbal is performing a lot better than the other I returned. Don't know because the camera or firmware but it is a lot better in many ways like gimbal behavior.

Some others reported some more bug fixes with gimbal etc as well as full recording without over heating.
2023-11-15
Use props
dwaynek
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

in case anyone is doing extreme recording which causes overheating, I've resolved this issue by using aluminum heatsinks. (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid3242211)
2-7 13:41
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aavalaakso Posted at 2023-10-31 23:51
"So EU device does have lower temperature setting."

If this is the case they MUST design the thermal system to work in EU if device is sold in EU. This is totally design flaw or device is defective.

Not really, the defect is the UK/EU, not the device because it works better in the US for example. You cannot blame DJI because of UK/EU legislation. The only way DJI could help would be to restrict the settings or to add the setting that lifts the restriction but thats not going to happen because I bet thats also in the legislation, i could be wrong on the latter point.

If anyone is to blame its our policy makers.
2-7 17:55
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hehe2 Posted at 2023-11-7 12:05
You're the one pretending it's there (while it's not), it's your duty to prove your assessments by providing us with the source of your claims (quote + document).

You just can't because there is no such mention in the warranty contract. Nice try though...

What These After-Sales Policies Do Not Cover

× Damage caused by unauthorized modification, disassembly, or shell opening not in accordance with DJI’s official instructions or manuals.
× Damage caused by improper installation, incorrect use, or operation not in accordance with DJI’s official instructions or manuals.
× Any software, whether provided with the product or installed subsequently.

Whilst the warranty seems to be applicable to drones, it does not state that this is the case only.
It is also the only warranty i can find.

The above points are what I think DJI "could" argue as a legal standpoint against the config modification.

Now for my counter-argument to the above. As the heat test config file is an actual legitimate DJI technician test, one could argue that you are using the product in compliance with DJI.

One other point, what if one lives in the UK/EU and wants to visit other countries where this temp limitation does not exist, where does that leave us?

Side note, i do not have this product but i do have the Action 4.
2-7 18:37
Use props
neotint
lvl.1

United States

I just ran a stress test, here in NYC with a new U.S. OP3. Not bad results considering the conditions:

My OP3 overheated and stopped recording after 89 minutes of 4K 60fps D-Log M, manual settings, HEVC — while also charging it via USB power pack.
It has Samsung Pro Plus 512 memory.
The screen was on the entire time at 50% brightness.
It was not connected to the MIMO app.

My device got quite hot: on the main body of the OP3 behind the screen, my RTD temperature probe registered 57C. The OP3 was indoors on a tripod in a window on a partly cloudy/sunny day. The outside temperature was 18C. The indoor weather was 24C with 50% humidity.

The OP3 manual says the operating temperature range is 0-40C, and the charging range is 5-45C. This test exceeded these temperatures, which is impressive engineering tolerance by DJI.

My recommendation, and product request:
2024 is expected to be the hottest year ever recorded. DJI and 3rd parties need to offer a heat sink solution that’s proven to be comfortable to hold while keeping the device within operating temperatures to avoid damage from thermal fatigue/thermal cycling over time.

This is the sort of DIY hack dwaynek made, using SSD heatsinks (lots of options available) is what I had in mind too:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=307032

A sleeker heatsink like this might be more practical:

I'm looking forward to a lot of high quality long format content use with my OP3 and want it to last.

Update:
Strangely, after this first test, I noticed that my custom Slider Control setting set to Zoom had reverted to Gimbal. All other settings were as I left them. So odd.

2nd Test:
I let the OP3 cool down for a couple of hours and charged it up to 100%.I ran a second test in the same conditions, but just on it's own power, not plugged into a portable fast charge pack.
It was 53C after 90 minutes of recording. No overheating forced the recording to stop.
Not wanting to add to the thermal fatigue I stopped it since I doubt I'll be doing more than 90 minute travel shots.
To DIY a way to lower thermal fatigue I ordered some 3D Printer Heatsinks to add to each side on the left and right behind the screen but above the micrphone, on the metal base of the gibmal which seems to be the hottest area.

5-6 12:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules