17152 423 2023-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hehe2 Posted at 10-31 05:40
The video you mention from "the best showman" is a pure joke.
If you download the linked file, open the zip and open the text file in notepad, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Firstly, I think you are not looking at the latest video on the channel.  This tells you how to construct the file.  So there's no secret about the contents.  If it was a joke, it's a pretty weird one.  And it involves the connivance of a lot of people who have posted comments on the video you were probably looking at, saying that it worked for them.  

However, I can see a catch as far as the Pocket 3 is concerned.  In one of the comments, the author of the fix stresses that the camera battery has to be removed and reinserted before the fix will work.  This of course cannot be done with the Pocket 3.  If I were trying this, as a last resort before returning  the camera, I might try seeing whether a factory reset might have the same effect as removing the battery.  Otherwise, sadly this trick probably won't work with the Pocket 3 after all.
2023-10-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Perhaps I could summarise the problem in another way.  

Maybe some Pocket 3 cameras do run hotter than others, due to a defective component in random items or a whole batch.  EU regulations will mean that this problem will be more readily detected in cameras sold in the EU.  Affected cameras in other territories may also run equally hot, but they may not exceed the higher temperatures permitted outside the EU - though some might.

All in all, I suspect that this will not be definitively analysed until one or more of the affected cameras makes it back to the DJI labs.

Hopefully it's not going to be like the problems that ocurred with the Zoom M3, which early purchasers discovered would readily pick up radio stations thus ruining its use as a microphone.  Zoom acknowledged a manufacturing fault and requested the return of a range of serial numbers - but it was not available for sale again for some months afterwards.  

Time will tell...
2023-10-31
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

hehe2 Posted at 10-31 05:40
The video you mention from "the best showman" is a pure joke.
If you download the linked file, open the zip and open the text file in notepad, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

The (or one of) video in question -

2023-10-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Indeed that's the one.  I was wary of actually posting the link in case DJI took exception.
2023-10-31
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-31 06:25
Indeed that's the one.  I was wary of actually posting the link in case DJI took exception.

Yeah, I gave that a thought but they can pull it if they don't like it. Or better, they could respond to it.
2023-10-31
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

DaveSp Posted at 10-31 07:36
Yeah, I gave that a thought but they can pull it if they don't like it. Or better, they could respond to it.

OK, that's not the video I thought it was, I'll give it a try but I'll send my unit back for a replacement anyway.
2023-10-31
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

hehe2 Posted at 10-31 09:23
OK, that's not the video I thought it was, I'll give it a try but I'll send my unit back for a replacement anyway.

I already sent and its been picked up.
2023-10-31
Use props
gs9178
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here's my prelim testing as i got mine today:
DJI Pocket 3 (Creator Combo)
Room Temp: ~65F (18C) Indoors
Position: Standing
Attachments: None
----------------------------
Settings: 4K/60 Everything Auto; HEVC; Normal Color
Samsung Pro Plus 512GB 180MB/s V30 (From Amazon not the 160Mb/sec) - No overheating >60min until battery drained
Prograde 256GB 250MB/s V60 - No overheating >60min until battery drained
Settings: 4K/120 Everything Auto; HEVC; Normal Color
Samsung Pro Plus 512GB 180MB/s V30 (From Amazon not the 160Mb/sec) - Overheated at 82min
Prograde 256GB 250MB/s V60 - Overheated at 74min

2023-10-31
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

gs9178 Posted at 10-31 10:45
Here's my prelim testing as i got mine today:
DJI Pocket 3 (Creator Combo)
Room Temp: ~65F (18C) Indoors

Hi,

That would be nice if you could try another test using the battery handle to see whether it actually can last longer (which is the point of having a battery extension...).

2023-10-31
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

Hello all,
here is the response of DJI that  OP3 has less performance than OP1.
As i just come home, i an not going to react now.

Only  considere that you cannot film mlre than 20 minutes in 4k/60fps  as it it specified on my report.
Yes, depend od the memory card used also.

Thanks for contacting DJI technical support!

We hope that everything is doing great with you. Pertaining to your inquiry, we understand that your Osmo Pocket 3 is overheating and thank you for the test report provided. We are more than happy to assist you with your inquiry.

Kindly be advised, that the max video specification supported by Osmo Pocket 3 is 4K at 120 fps. When recording 4K videos at 120 fps, the operating time of the general version is about 17 minutes (with over-temperature protection enabled), while that of the EU version is 12 minutes (with over-temperature protection enabled). Thus, based on the test report provided, it is normal.

Please do not hesitate to reach us for any other concerns. Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Thanks for choosing DJI and have a nice day!
Warmest Regards,
Sathis
DJI Technical Support

English Call Service: +44 2076603037 / +31 20 654 5202 ((Mon-Sun 9:00AM - 5:00PM (UTC+1)))
German Call Service:+49 (0) 9771 - 906990 (Mon-Fri 8:00AM - 5:00PM (UTC+1))
YouTube: http://s.dji.com/DJI-Tutorials

2023-10-31
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic Posted at 10-31 15:01
Hello all,

In this answer, they did not consider all tests, but only thoses that gave them arguments to  convince us that this issue was normal.
2023-10-31
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic Posted at 10-31 15:05
In this answer, they did not consider all tests, but only thoses that gave them arguments to  convince us that this issue was normal.

What about the fact that with some SD cards it is not possible to film in4k/60fps more than 11 minutes ?????
2023-10-31
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

if you consideere this answer, you can be happy to fil in 4k/60fps  for 10 minutes, and thank you DJI for this peformance
2023-10-31
Use props
Cybermat
lvl.1
United Kingdom

4k60 Dlog-10 bit colour, tested in Cool house, lasted 40 minutes and overheated - turned off, switched to normal & 4K 60 and lasted 26 minutes and overheated.
2023-10-31
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

I tested my Pocket 3 today and got over 2 hours in 4k25fps, I could even charge it (temperature at around 43°C). At 4K60FPS I stopped filming at 60 minutes, and I also charged it while I was filming. The memory card was a 128GB Samsung Evo Plus U3 A2 V30 and I activated my Pocket 3 in Switzerland.
2023-10-31
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic Posted at 10-31 15:01
Hello all,

Oh no...

That is a very poor answer from dji technician.
You better DM Dji Wanda in this forum directly to demand a better understanding of the situation.

So EU device does have lower temperature setting.
However that doesn't justify the unusually short recording time of yours.
2023-10-31
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hmm.  I am not sure what to make of the DJI response.  Firstly, a limitation like that should appear somewhere in the specs.  It shouldn't become known only when someone complained about it.  But on the other hand, shooting at 120fps is usually for slow motion and in normal use, the running times specified for 120fps would typically be enough for a continuous shot, surely.  But they haven't addressed the problems at slower fps experienced by some (not many though).

I can't help wondering whether, given that these overheating issues keep coming up with modern cameras not equipped with fans, perhaps we are reaching limits of the laws of physics?  If you seek the kind of sophistication and complexity and processing throughput of these systems, the housing required to dissipate the heat will not meet the design objective of having a very small device.  But whatever, thermal performance should be stated upfront with the rest of the specifications of the device.

Finally - "with over-temperature protection enabled" implies that it can be disabled in some way.  Presumably not through some setting deep in the menu system?

2023-10-31
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Cybermat Posted at 10-31 15:59
4k60 Dlog-10 bit colour, tested in Cool house, lasted 40 minutes and overheated - turned off, switched to normal & 4K 60 and lasted 26 minutes and overheated.

26 minutes at 4k 60 .. Pocket 1 (released 5 years ago!) and 2 can handle that in every situation to the empty battery. For normal video modes it should never overheat or the product is badly designed. It is totally design flaw or physical malfunction if it can't do normal things. Modes like super slow motion that are designed to be short could do this but not totally normal video modes.

Your device is defective.
2023-10-31
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Tide Posted at 10-31 18:44
Oh no...

That is a very poor answer from dji technician.

"So EU device does have lower temperature setting."

If this is the case they MUST design the thermal system to work in EU if device is sold in EU. This is totally design flaw or device is defective.
2023-10-31
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-31 22:00
Hmm.  I am not sure what to make of the DJI response.  Firstly, a limitation like that should appear somewhere in the specs.  It shouldn't become known only when someone complained about it.  But on the other hand, shooting at 120fps is usually for slow motion and in normal use, the running times specified for 120fps would typically be enough for a continuous shot, surely.  But they haven't addressed the problems at slower fps experienced by some (not many though).

I can't help wondering whether, given that these overheating issues keep coming up with modern cameras not equipped with fans, perhaps we are reaching limits of the laws of physics?  If you seek the kind of sophistication and complexity and processing throughput of these systems, the housing required to dissipate the heat will not meet the design objective of having a very small device.  But whatever, thermal performance should be stated upfront with the rest of the specifications of the device.

"But whatever, thermal performance should be stated upfront with the rest of the specifications of the device."

Exactly. I have multiple 4k video(centric) cameras without any fans and they never overheat. It should be clearly stated for example for slow motion that it requires enormous amount of cpu power and generates heat that it will shut down after fe. 2 minutes automatically. But in normal modes it should work if the camera is not totally sealed in hand with ambient temp at 30 C in direct sunlight.

This must be controlled not just random values that it stops here and there.

I understand that if photo(centric) camera overheats during video but for this case. Pocket 3 is pure video camera with option to take fotos.

I have OA4 in EU and it never overheats. And it is way smaller that Pocket 3.
2023-11-1
Use props
djiuser_K8N2w1V3PzjP
New
United States

Last night, I recorded 4k60 until the Pocket 3 ran out of power a little over 2 hours later, and it did not overheat.
2023-11-1
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

I reran my test (that went 82 minutes) but with HLG format (vs H.264). I had to shut it off after 50 minutes as I had to leave but I'm confident it would have run to an empty battery as the camera was only warm to touch.
2023-11-1
Use props
Cybermat
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aavalaakso Posted at 10-31 23:49
26 minutes at 4k 60 .. Pocket 1 (released 5 years ago!) and 2 can handle that in every situation to the empty battery. For normal video modes it should never overheat or the product is badly designed. It is totally design flaw or physical malfunction if it can't do normal things. Modes like super slow motion that are designed to be short could do this but not totally normal video modes.

Your device is defective.

I haven't used mine yet due to having a poorly GF but I watch TheSecretVault on YT and he said he had this issue so during his live stream I powered mine up (1st recording on it) left it untouched to avoid hand temp and normal ambient house temperature UK home in winter no heating on.

I left it run whilst chatting on live stream and it died around 40 mins Overheat warning.
I then switched it to normal and it gave overheat warning at just under 26 minutes.

The device was initially set to 4K 60 in 10 bit colour Dlog and swapped over to Normal from Dlog whilst device still warm from previous test and I got 26 mins - overheat warning.

His device did the same though he actually had it fail after I think 14 mins ?

Is this a faulty batch maybe, I may need to start official return procedures with DJi - quite disappointing.
2023-11-1
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It all seems very simple to me.  

DJI have said there is an overheat running time limit on 4K 120.  But they haven't given the running times for other modes.  

When there was all that trouble with the Action 2, they published a table of modes and overheat stop times.  We need that table for the Pocket 3, so that prospective buyers know what to expect, and existing buyers can determine whether their cameras are actually faulty, or within spec but not within expectations.  

I wish someone would add their endorsements to that request in the request thread I created a couple of days ago.  Right now, they might get the impression that nobody wants than info except for me.
2023-11-1
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Cybermat Posted at 11-1 16:55
I haven't used mine yet due to having a poorly GF but I watch TheSecretVault on YT and he said he had this issue so during his live stream I powered mine up (1st recording on it) left it untouched to avoid hand temp and normal ambient house temperature UK home in winter no heating on.

I left it run whilst chatting on live stream and it died around 40 mins Overheat warning.

They told me to send my device back. So I sent it to DOA replacement. I had other problems too including the overheating.
2023-11-1
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-1 22:38
It all seems very simple to me.  

DJI have said there is an overheat running time limit on 4K 120.  But they haven't given the running times for other modes.  

As a video camera normal video modes should never overheat in the area where it is sold or the device is defective or there is a problem in design of the product. It is that simple.
2023-11-1
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im really reluctant to order because of this overheating issue.
I really want one though!!!!!
2023-11-2
Use props
tzsog
lvl.4
Hungary

Im in EU and 4k60 ,d-logm ,HEVC overhiting after 15min  (22c room temp) on Sandisk Extreme pro 512gb ..What i do now ? 15min?when i tuch the pocket after overhiting i feel realy warm on my hand

update:
i wait to cool down and overhiting  after is 27min
2023-11-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Aavalaakso Posted at 11-1 23:33
As a video camera normal video modes should never overheat in the area where it is sold or the device is defective or there is a problem in design of the product. It is that simple.

Then why do they need to put an overheating warning ?
2023-11-2
Use props
pmcatarino
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59 ft
Portugal

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 08:01

I received two units yesterday.

Both overheat at room temp (23ºC) without battery handle and just placed on a desk without me holding them. Recording 4K60 with screen and face tracking on, only lasted for 10 minutes.

Memory card used is an Angelbird AV PRO MICROSD V60 256GB.

Contacted DJI Support and was told to open a case in order to receive replacement units.
2023-11-2
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-2 08:01

Even car has overheating warning even it is never going to reach it.

But I wish you a good life I wont comment for you anymore
2023-11-2
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
United States

Aavalaakso Posted at 11-1 23:33

Totally agree on this. It certainly looks like there's a systemic overheat issue with EU units. I wonder if they have gotten the overtemp shutdown triggers wrong. I say this because on my US unit, at 82 minutes it was warm to the touch but by no means would I say it felt hot. There is definitely a defect of some kind at play.
2023-11-2
Use props
Rathal3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389078 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

I got mine 2 hours ago directly from DJI and it overheats in 4K/60 D-Log after 16 Minutes and in 4k120 at 6 Minutes. So half of what they claim. I‘m from Europe as well
2023-11-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

pmcatarino Posted at 11-2 10:42
I received two units yesterday.

Both overheat at room temp (23ºC) without battery handle and just placed on a desk without me holding them. Recording 4K60 with screen and face tracking on, only lasted for 10 minutes.

thats why you have a warranty.
2023-11-2
Use props
djiuser_WFHW4vKXRXvZ
lvl.1

Germany

I just did a test with mine:

Room temperature: 22 degrees Celsius
SD Card: SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 GB
Settings: 4K 60FPS HLG (10-Bit)
Region: Germany
Result: 78 Minutes without overheating. I quit the test afterwards.

The camera was connected to the 1/4 extension and then on the small supplied tripod. The unit was warm but not hot. It would have probably gone up to 90 or 100 minutes.
2023-11-2
Use props
Rathal3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389078 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

djiuser_WFHW4vKXRXvZ Posted at 11-2 12:32

Then you are lucky mine shut down with the same settings now at 15 minutes
2023-11-2
Use props
djiuser_WFHW4vKXRXvZ
lvl.1

Germany

SD Card: SanDisk Extreme Pro 256 GB
Settings: 4K 60FPS with HLG (10-Bit)
Region: Germany

Pocket 3 mounted on a tripod with 1/4 thread extension

Result: 78 minutes continuous recording with no overheating. I quit the test afterwards. It would have probably gone for much longer, the unit was warm but not hot.

2023-11-2
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
Belarus

Today i was contacted by the main office of Studiosport , the shop were i bought the camera near Paris..
They ask me to send back the camera for tests purpose and eventually if they come to the same conclusion as me, replace it.
I have to pay to send it, (it is not at the the shop by where i live) and i will probably have to wait undetermined time to get feedback.
To be honest, i do not trust them.
I do not understand DJI attitude with their clients.
2023-11-2
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 701&pid=3168737

So now we have the official guidance on overheating runtimes for more settings.  But they are conditional on wireless off and screen off.  The first might not matter in many situations but the second would be unacceptable usually. Still, someone might care to test whether turning off wireless does make a difference.  Overall though it really does seem like there are a number of defective units out there.
2023-11-2
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-2 16:32
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=300701&pid=3168737

So now we have the official guidance on overheating runtimes for more settings.  But they are conditional on wireless off and screen off.  The first might not matter in many situations but the second would be unacceptable usually. Still, someone might care to test whether turning off wireless does make a difference.  Overall though it really does seem like there are a number of defective units out there.

That is good.
So officially 4K60 can last until battery drained. (More than 110mins)
2023-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules