17167 423 2023-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hehe2 Posted at 11-4 12:18
That's a nice question, when I'll get my replacement unit on Monday, I'll try a first overheating test (goad : 2 hours of 4k@60 with no issue) before activating it.

If it's passed the test, I'll activate it and then try again to see whether this has an impact or not.

Just wrote the same!
You get yours a day before me so we can compare and see what happens ;)
2023-11-4
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

hehe2 Posted at 11-4 12:18
That's a nice question, when I'll get my replacement unit on Monday, I'll try a first overheating test (goad : 2 hours of 4k@60 with no issue) before activating it.

If it's passed the test, I'll activate it and then try again to see whether this has an impact or not.

Great - and I see that IftiBashir will try the same. It will be interesting to see the results. Good luck to you both on getting units that can work for you. DJI needs to be forthcoming on this issue and the answers they've provided here are vague (at best) wrt EU and UK issues.
2023-11-4
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-3 09:12
There is a problem if you buy your unit in the EU and try to return from outside the EU you will have to pay shipping.

No, DJI took care of the shipping fees, and it actually went to Netherlands so it's still in Europe.
2023-11-4
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

hehe2 Posted at 11-4 19:19
No, DJI took care of the shipping fees, and it actually went to Netherlands so it's still in Europe.

DJI won’t pay shipping if you buy outside the region you are using to apply your warranty. IE if you purchase in the US dji will not cover shipping to have it repaired in Europe.
You are obviously in the EU region and so is Netherlands .

2023-11-5
Use props
Ghenadie1980
lvl.1

Ireland

I think we have found a solution to this problem with overheating!

First I made a recording and the camera turned off after 25 minutes, now I copied this file and the camera is still work!
That this file helped to record for 74 minutes at 4k60 fps and the battery was charged for 34%!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0ubXCI5Hc

2023-11-5
Use props
Ghenadie1980
lvl.1

Ireland

DJI Pocket 3 Overheating FIX ! Over 2 hours of 4k 60fps !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxhbwNoEqAA
2023-11-5
Use props
Ghenadie1980
lvl.1

Ireland

hehe2 Posted at 11-4 19:19

First I made a recording and the camera turned off after 25 minutes, now I copied this file and the camera is still work!
That this file helped to record for 74 minutes at 4k60 fps and the battery was charged for 34%!

2023-11-5
Use props
Ghenadie1980
lvl.1

Ireland

Dieter_Wilke Posted at 11-4 03:58
My tests had a simple conclusion:
The SD-Card is not the cause for overheating and recordbreak. I tested it with different brands (Samsung, SanDisk and Lexar). All stopped at 23 Minutes.

2023-11-5
Use props
Dieter_Wilke
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

That's an absolute nonsense!!
2023-11-5
Use props
Ghenadie1980
lvl.1

Ireland

Dieter_Wilke Posted at 11-5 09:48

he EU has issued a regulation that all devices must switch off when they reach (internal) 48°C. And the devices reach this limit very quickly and sometimes a little slower. The devices then switch off.
2023-11-5
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

It is not that like "if your device is under EU you can't use it at all because it overheats". Well videos cameras sold in EU must be made to record video and work as is it sold. If it does not the device is defective or it is design flaw.

I believe that "heat test" is just config value that allows to skip temperature protective system. If the heating system is physically defective this config setting can eventually burn and broke the device totally. It is not "crack" except the name in the video it is just a value for config settings. It can be also named as config and write the parameters inside the conf.

This actually won't fix your physically defective device. It just skips the protective feature.

Use warranty.
2023-11-5
Use props
Ghenadie1980
lvl.1

Ireland

Dieter_Wilke Posted at 11-5 09:48

I did the second test and at the moment the recording lasts 55 minutes in 4k60fps in HLG
2023-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I suggested this 'fix' here a couple of days ago.  I couldn't test it as I don't have the camera.  From the reports now emerging (that I have seen on YouTube) the fix does work, if the problem relates to the EU heat limit.  If the problem with a particular camera is that it is overheating even beyond the rest-of-the-world heat limit, then no, the fix will not work, because the indivdual camera is defective.  If I were in the EU and I owned the camera, first I would try the 'fix'.  If that worked, end of problem (the problem being more to do with EU law rather than DJI design).  If it did not work, then I would get the camera replaced.  

People might wonder why DJI did not design the camera to run overheat-free worldwide.  That would have meant reducing the ability of the camera for everyone, or designing it with a large heatsink which would have meant it would not longer earn the "Pocket" name.  Also, many users even in the EU do not need to use the camera in such a way that it overheats.  So DJI have gone for the majority benefit.  The only criticism I would make is that DJI should have published in some way their heat test specs, so that people (in the EU particularly) could decide whether their planned use would fall foul of the overheaat limit.
2023-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I will add that I could imagine a 3rd party, or even DJI, developing a clip-on heatsink for those who needed it.  Maybe I should design one quickly and patent it.  But I don't have the camera...
2023-11-5
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-5 19:36
I suggested this 'fix' here a couple of days ago.  I couldn't test it as I don't have the camera.  From the reports now emerging (that I have seen on YouTube) the fix does work, if the problem relates to the EU heat limit.  If the problem with a particular camera is that it is overheating even beyond the rest-of-the-world heat limit, then no, the fix will not work, because the indivdual camera is defective.  If I were in the EU and I owned the camera, first I would try the 'fix'.  If that worked, end of problem (the problem being more to do with EU law rather than DJI design).  If it did not work, then I would get the camera replaced.  

People might wonder why DJI did not design the camera to run overheat-free worldwide.  That would have meant reducing the ability of the camera for everyone, or designing it with a large heatsink which would have meant it would not longer earn the "Pocket" name.  Also, many users even in the EU do not need to use the camera in such a way that it overheats.  So DJI have gone for the majority benefit.  The only criticism I would make is that DJI should have published in some way their heat test specs, so that people (in the EU particularly) could decide whether their planned use would fall foul of the overheaat limit.

It does appear to work based on follow-up replies to the YouTube video I posted a link to a couple of pages back.
2023-11-5
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Ghenadie1980 Posted at 11-5 10:04
I did the second test and at the moment the recording lasts 55 minutes in 4k60fps in HLG

This must be a joke, have you even opened the "crackconfig" file with notepad?

I followed your youtube link, clicked on the "source" website, downloaded the zip, extracted it and here we are...

It's just a simple text file, with a single line, with two words :

heat test

That's it. Do you actually believe DJI has implemented some "magic file" named "crackconfig" at the root folder of the SD Card to load some hidden settings?

I don't think so, and even if that had been the case, I really would have liked a DJI engineer to explain us what other hidden settings are read/loaded from this file, which will never happen.

"crackconfig"

"crackconfig"

2023-11-5
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

hehe2 Posted at 11-5 20:20

I followed your youtube link, clicked on the "source" website, downloaded the zip, extracted it and here we are...

So have you try the file and tested?
2023-11-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hehe2 Posted at 11-5 20:20

I followed your youtube link, clicked on the "source" website, downloaded the zip, extracted it and here we are...

We've been discussing this for a week, there is no mystery about the contents of the file (how to cteate it is explained in detail on the channel concerned), and people are reporting that is has a significant effect on the overheating problem with P3 cameras in Europe.  Now I can understand someone saying "I'm not risking that" - the channel has posted copious disclaimers - but to say in effect that it can't work in the face of all the evidence is a bit, well, head in the sand.  As I said above, if the individual camera is actually defecctive and thus out of spec as far as overheating is concerned, no, the fix will not work.  But only by trying the fix- if you care to do so - can you teil if it is really a dud or not.
2023-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No issues here with the SanDisk Extreme 128 GB U3 A2 V30
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-6 01:10
We've been discussing this for a week, there is no mystery about the contents of the file (how to cteate it is explained in detail on the channel concerned), and people are reporting that is has a significant effect on the overheating problem with P3 cameras in Europe.  Now I can understand someone saying "I'm not risking that" - the channel has posted copious disclaimers - but to say in effect that it can't work in the face of all the evidence is a bit, well, head in the sand.  As I said above, if the individual camera is actually defecctive and thus out of spec as far as overheating is concerned, no, the fix will not work.  But only by trying the fix- if you care to do so - can you teil if it is really a dud or not.

Discussed with whom and where?

- Did it involved official DJI engineers who worked on the firmware?

- Is there any "documentation" describing the lines you can add in this "crackfile"?

Link to the conversation like reddit or something? (youtube comments are not a serious place to discuss a topic).

2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Tide Posted at 11-5 21:27
So have you try the file and tested?

I already sent back my OP3 last week and theoretically should get a new one today, so I couldn't test it.

I'll hopefully won't need this "trick" with the new unit since I shouldn't get any overheating issue if it's not a faulty one.

I'll do many overheating tests as soon as I get it.
2023-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 02:11
Discussed with whom and where?

- Did it involved official DJI engineers who worked on the firmware?

Here's my first post on the subject, back in October (well, on the last day of it I think) -

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =300364&pid=3167102

And here's your response shortly after, couched in much the same terms as your most recent one -

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =300364&pid=3167384

I disagree with you about YouTube comments not being a good place to discuss a topic.  I have some really good exchanges there with people who know a great deal about all sorts of things and I learn a lot from them.  And every now and then, they learn something from me - I think.  Perhaps.

Anyway, I sincerely wish you luck with the replacement and I hope you let us know how it goes in due course.

2023-11-6
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 02:15
I already sent back my OP3 last week and theoretically should get a new one today, so I couldn't test it.

I'll hopefully won't need this "trick" with the new unit since I shouldn't get any overheating issue if it's not a faulty one.

Hope you get a good one this time.
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-6 02:54
Here's my first post on the subject, back in October (well, on the last day of it I think -

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =300364&pid=3167102

OK so nothing new nor serious there, I've already read that "snowman" post.

It doesn't answer to the questions I raised in my previous message about that "file" being actually read by the firmware.

If it's by design, there must be other "keywords" that could alter/modify the behavior of the device.

Since it's undocumented, we might never know but at least regarding this overheating issue, I would really like a DJI engineer to confirm this "trick" it's actually working.

For now, I really wish I could find an actual OP3 owner of this forum, plagued by this overheating issue, confirm it could fix his unit.

2023-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 03:06

It doesn't answer to the questions I raised in my previous message about that "file" being actually read by the firmware.

All cameras that DJI sell in the EU have to comply with EU regulations.  If the users find ways to make the cameras circumvent the regulations, the EU cannot blame DJI for that.  But if DJI helped users in any way to circumvent the regulations, they could be held liable by the EU bureaucrats.  So I would be very surprised if DJI themselves made any comment on this fix, other than to tell us not to do it.  That's why I did not post the precise source of the fix in my original post about it.  Someone else did shortly after, wishing to be helpful.
2023-11-6
Use props
Maxime Bermond
lvl.3
Italy

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-6 03:22
All cameras that DJI sell in the EU have to comply with EU regulations.  If the users find ways to make the cameras circumvent the regulations, the EU cannot blame DJI for that.  But if DJI helped users in any way to circumvent the regulations, they could be held liable by the EU bureaucrats.  So I would be very surprised if DJI themselves made any comment on this fix, other than to tell us not to do it.  That's why I did not post the precise source of the fix in my original post about it.  Someone else did shortly after, wishing to be helpful.

I agree. Indeed, the risk is that by publicizing this fix too much on this forum they will then decide to make it useless with an upcoming firmware...
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Hi,

I received my new OP3 unit this morning.

I'm currently testing it *BEFORE* activating it in MIMO (default firmware, no MIMO "localization").

For now, it's currently recording at 4k@60 (default color profile) for 68 minutes without overheating. When I'm reaching two hours, I'll stop and activate it and start another test.

Note : It's plugged to the battery handle AND to a Samsung wall USB charger (15 W), screen OFF set after30 seconds idling. Room temp must be around 21 °C.

2023-11-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually, the ‘config’ text is not really a ‘fix’ in that the EU stipulates that electronics shouldn’t go over a certain temperature for safety reasons. It's not good for the electronics anyway.

Hopefully, they are just faulty cameras.
2023-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The "fix" simply makes the camera behave the same with regard to temperature sensing as those in (for instance) the USA.  So I don't see that as a risk to the camera as such.  More significant would be if the fix caused immediate damage to the camera by corrupting the firmware (or something like that).  So far I have seen no reports of that happening in respect of the Action 3 & 4 and the Pocket 3.  I would assume such reports would appear in the comments to the relevant videos.  If I had the camera (I don't) and if I lived in the EU (I don't) I think I would be happy to try the fix.  But it's a personal choice of course.
2023-11-6
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 03:06

I don’t believe anyone is plagued by this overheating issues , if you purchased this camera with the soul need that it operate in high quality in high frame rates then you didn’t research correctly and this camera would not be a great choice.
Can dji issue a FW that might help yes the most likely can, but you will still not have the camera you actually need. I understand people bought this camera for different things and different shooting scenarios but if its for professional use or life and death use then it just might not be the answer for everyone.
There are so many factors that directly effect heating in a camera let alone one this size, for me I have now done many tests and inside it works up to 1 hour in 4k 60fps it then shows a warning cuts off but is not really that hot, so FW might help this. Outside it just works forever in hand or on a small tripod in all quality and frame rate this when you’re moving. I do also suspect that because it still has a small sensor 1” that while suitable for some indoor work it will still struggle as all these small sensor’s do in lowlight. Outside in good light it’s a marvel and I have experienced no overheating, I’m sure with a big SD card I could force the issue but there is no point.

Many factors can cause heat and while many have done tests I’m not convinced all variables have been tested or reported correctly. If you’re only getting 10 minutes inside in 4k 60fps with the screen on 50% brightness moving around or on a tripod then it’s likely there is something wrong with your camera and it should be exchanged.

If you require the camera to record in 4k 60fps for a solid 2 hours on a tripod in a warm room then you didn’t think this one out, but there are other options and much better ones. Hand holding indoors or outdoors and shooting for 1 hour is an extremely long time to be concentrating on filming anything and I’m not sure many people actually do this and fewer will do the same for two hours.

So I don’t believe plagued is the right word to be using because if you’re plagued you either have a dud camera or you just didn’t think about what you’re buying. Hopefully new FW by dji will help but I see no miracles on the horizon. I know people will say it should work as advertised and it does there maybe a few problems with some dud cameras but it would be interesting to see how cameras are preforming for users “not testing” but everyday use or using it the way they intended when buying it.
2023-11-6
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 05:37
Hi,

So far so good.
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 05:58
I don’t believe anyone is plagued by this overheating issues , if you purchased this camera with the soul need that it operate in high quality in high frame rates then you didn’t research correctly and this camera would not be a great choice.
Can dji issue a FW that might help yes the most likely can, but you will still not have the camera you actually need. I understand people bought this camera for different things and different shooting scenarios but if its for professional use or life and death use then it just might not be the answer for everyone.
There are so many factors that directly effect heating in a camera let alone one this size, for me I have now done many tests and inside it works up to 1 hour in 4k 60fps it then shows a warning cuts off but is not really that hot, so FW might help this. Outside it just works forever in hand or on a small tripod in all quality and frame rate this when you’re moving. I do also suspect that because it still has a small sensor 1” that while suitable for some indoor work it will still struggle as all these small sensor’s do in lowlight. Outside in good light it’s a marvel and I have experienced no overheating, I’m sure with a big SD card I could force the issue but there is no point.

Well, I'll skip the condescending part of your message basically telling "it's normal for an electronic device to get hot while working".

I'll enforce my point or having specifications telling a product supports a given resolution@framerate for a given duration (alone and even better with the handling battery).

Well, if I can manage to record 2 hours of indoor concert with my OP1 on a tripod and an external battery pack, why wouldn't I expect the latest version (OP3) to be able to do the same?

Your point is irrelevant, I know exactly why I purchased this product and I'm not expecting anything more than what it's supposed to deliver.

I'm still conducting my tests on the new device.

2023-11-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-6 05:58
The "fix" simply makes the camera behave the same with regard to temperature sensing as those in (for instance) the USA.  So I don't see that as a risk to the camera as such.  More significant would be if the fix caused immediate damage to the camera by corrupting the firmware (or something like that).  So far I have seen no reports of that happening in respect of the Action 3 & 4 and the Pocket 3.  I would assume such reports would appear in the comments to the relevant videos.  If I had the camera (I don't) and if I lived in the EU (I don't) I think I would be happy to try the fix.  But it's a personal choice of course.

I’d be happier if it were made according to EU specs with regards to heating, so that the electronics don’t go very hot to cold all of the time. Much better for their longevity.

I think that most P3 cameras are probably OK in the UK and the 10 minute overheating is a problem camera. They need to be exchanged.

Most people will be be wandering around with them, flipping them on and off. They’re not a pro camera and so aren’t really designed for prolonged shoots. Let alone the size of them trapping heat in inside. Have testers actually gone out and used them for a day? Instead of keeping their camera in still air indoors at a high resolution and  frame rate? They might find the camera is ok if they did. If it doesn't, then it must be a faulty camera.

Maybe a mark 2 might appear with vent holes?

I wouldn’t want to set my camera up to not conform with EU standards while I lived in the EU. It’s there for a reason and not supposed to be hacked.

Otherwise, camera manufacturers can just install a switch for us to switch and the EU stipulation becomes a useless piece of legislation. It’s there for our protection just as it is in other countries although they might have set a different temperature thresholds. (Hot countries especially I guess)
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 05:37
Hi,

OK, I reached my two hours of recording.

I got the first "overheating" message at 108 minutes, but it didn't stop the recording but told me it wouldn't charge the device.

The messages poped every minute or so since then (it was 25% at that time, it's now 15% of battery remaining). It's really hot on the base of the gimball.

Note: It's still using the default firmware, not activated yet on MIMO.

I'll do another test with the latest firmware AND after activating it.

PS: I'll edit this message and upload pictures asap.

120 minutes 4k@60 reached

120 minutes 4k@60 reached

overheating alert can't charge

overheating alert can't charge
2023-11-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 06:28

I got the first "overheating" message at 108 minutes, but it didn't stop the recording but told me it wouldn't charge the device.

The battery holds up well for that much recording at 4K 60!
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-6 06:35
The battery holds up well for that much recording at 4K 60!

You must have skipped that part of my previous post :

"Note : It's plugged to the battery handle AND to a Samsung wall USB charger (15 W), screen OFF set after30 seconds idling. Room temp must be around 21 °C."

2023-11-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 06:44
You must have skipped that part of my previous post :

"Note : It's plugged to the battery handle AND to a Samsung wall USB charger (15 W), screen OFF set after30 seconds idling. Room temp must be around 21 °C."

Sorry, I didn’t see that. Hopefully, the charging doesn’t cause heat?
I'm waiting for the next one now. That'll be interesting.....
2023-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 06:28

Thanks for that report.  I have to say I am impressed that it charges intelligently in respect of overheating (in other words, it tries not to make matters worse).

In general, reading recent posts, while I agree that the majority of real-world use will not involve long shots on a  tripod indoors, personally I would want to use it sometimes for recording jazz gigs which tend to be 2 or 3 times 45 minute sets.  But that would be at 25fps which would probably help keep it cool.
2023-11-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-6 07:02
Thanks for that report.  I have to say I am impressed that it charges intelligently in respect of overheating (in other words, it tries not to make matters worse).

In general, reading recent posts, while I agree that the majority of real-world use will not involve long shots on a  tripod indoors, personally I would want to use it sometimes for recording jazz gigs which tend to be 2 or 3 times 45 minute sets.  But that would be at 25fps which would probably help keep it cool.

Oh ok. Not thinking about concert recording.

I do a lot of local shows and have to leave the cameras running for around an hour for each half, so I use camcorders on tripods which run for ages.

My mirrorless can’t do it but never tried a Pocket on that kind of thing.
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-6 07:02

In general, reading recent posts, while I agree that the majority of real-world use will not involve long shots on a  tripod indoors, personally I would want to use it sometimes for recording jazz gigs which tend to be 2 or 3 times 45 minute sets.  But that would be at 25fps which would probably help keep it cool.

With my first unit, I could reach the overheating issue (stopping the recording) even in 1080p@60 in less than one hour (about 25 minutes in 2,7k@60).

And nowadays, they're no reasons not to want 60 FPS, 24 fps is the legacy of the old movies standard, nowadays everything is smoother at higher FPS.

Recording music concerts (jazz/classical or whatever) is one of my main usage.

I sing in a choir and I usually am the one who's in charge of filming ourselves, so I need to be able to put the camera on a tripod, start record, go back to the singers, sing my parts for more than one hour and hopefully get a clean video recording. (for the sound, I got a zoom H4N).

The OP1 can do this with no issue in 4k@60 (even though the low light quality tends to be grainy in some churches where there's not much artificial light).
2023-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules