Over heating issue poll
17153 423 2023-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think comparisons with earlier Pockets are a bit of a distraction - the P3 is much more of a beast in terms of the processing being undertaken, sensor size, etc etc, and although it is larger than the first two versions, the amount of extra surface (particularly the metal section at the top) isn't massively larger to dissipate the heat.  That's why I'm wondering whether a 3rd party, or DJI, or improvised clip-on heat sink plate might be necessary for concert use.  I doubt whether it would need to be very large, especially if the surface was corrigated.  It might not be bigger than the screen - perhaps.  As for smoothness, well, that usually is noticable mostly with panning.  With relatively static performers (unless you dance as well as sing!) then I would have though 30fps would be sufficient, but you may have found that inadequate for your taste.  [Edited to add that the normal shutter speed for 60fps is 1/120 - which doesn't help when in low light]
2023-11-6
Use props
Dieter_Wilke
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Can I reset the camera and then set it in US-mode?
Or will it remeber my first adjust to german mode?
2023-11-6
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 06:24
Well, I'll skip the condescending part of your message basically telling "it's normal for an electronic device to get hot while working".

I'll enforce my point or having specifications telling a product supports a given resolution@framerate for a given duration (alone and even better with the handling battery).

Not condescending every single go pro in every country in the world suffers from overheating, every single camera that records in 8k suffers from over heating and many over the years suffered from over heating in 6K and 4k .

Fact is this pocket 3 is working well except for a few that may well be duds , its not a fluke or an accident that mine has been tested more than it needs to be and is working as the specs say it should.

My point is not irrelevant if you want to buy a tool for use not intended thats your lookout , enjoy the long winded concerts , over and over again :+)….
2023-11-6
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dieter_Wilke Posted at 11-6 07:55
Can I reset the camera and then set it in US-mode?
Or will it remeber my first adjust to german mode?

There are all sorts of hacks and not difficult to do, it doesn’t matter where you first set it. But some hacks can be a pain, but the camera is working well and I have tested. If yours is not I suggest you send it in to be checked or replaced.
2023-11-6
Use props
Cpt. Joe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28389 ft
Austria

The overheating problem is really dramatic - I have the problem with 4K/30, 2.7K/30 and also on 1080P

We have a lot of event orders with interviews, press conferences and lectures from speakers. After 20-35 minutes - depending on the resolution, the overheating problem occurs (allways with connectied battery handle) .

Sorry, DJI, but completely unusable for professional use. If there is no corresponding update in the next few days, the device will be returned via Amazon (have still 14 days left before the returning periods ends)
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

OK, my first test after the MIMO activation isn't promising at all...

It lasted only 13 minutes in 4k@60 before overheating and stop recording, but the conditions were not the same as the first test ones.

It was directly plugged to the basic handle extension itself plugged to the wall plug. (no battery handle in this case).

The fact I had to recharge both the OP3 and the battery handle without having a fast charging wall plug here made me try this test.

I'm not really confident, I don't know whether it's due to the fact the battery was "only" at 35% at start (but seriously, 13 minutes??) or the fact it was directly charging to the wall plug through the basic handle...

This is not good so far, I'll try other tests when back at home tonight.

I'll also try the "magic file" trick and see if it can solve the issue.

I actually despise DJI for the fact the device *HAS* to be activated to be usable, the OP1 had not such a requirement, I don't really understand why they do force us to do this... and I'm pretty sure that's when they alter the settings depending on your region.

If only a DJI official engineer could be there to answer our questions...

Anyway, for now, my device is not working as expected.
2023-11-6
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 08:29

It lasted only 13 minutes in 4k@60 before overheating and stop recording, but the conditions were not the same as the first test ones.

That would appear to indicate that it is not a faulty unit but rather that it is a result of the region settings.
2023-11-6
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

DaveSp Posted at 11-6 08:40
That would appear to indicate that it is not a faulty unit but rather that it is a result of the region settings.

Like said many times in this forum:

Regional setting like EU MUST NOT change the normal use as it is sold. It is video camera and it cannot overheat under normal video mode or the product is defective or it is design flaw.

No matter what regional requirements are products sold to areas must meet the requirements and product must be designed to work in that area.
2023-11-6
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

Aavalaakso Posted at 11-6 08:51
Like said many times in this forum:

Regional setting like EU MUST NOT change the normal use as it is sold. It is video camera and it cannot overheat under normal video mode or the product is defective or it is design flaw.

I agree. At the barest minimum, DJI needs to make it very clear in its advertising and literature what the expected runtimes are in different regions. And "reduced recording time" is inadequate.
2023-11-6
Use props
robertodel
lvl.3

Germany

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-6 08:28
There are all sorts of hacks and not difficult to do, it doesn’t matter where you first set it. But some hacks can be a pain, but the camera is working well and I have tested. If yours is not I suggest you send it in to be checked or replaced.

Why need I a hack? Is there not a normal way to change to the US-mode?
2023-11-6
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

robertodel Posted at 11-6 09:52

Obviously not, why would we need regulations if manufacturers could just choose to offer a system to bypass them. Many of our regulations are different than the US some seem like they are for the better some seem a little strange a bit like swings and roundabouts.
2023-11-6
Use props
MTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3281 ft
Netherlands

robertodel Posted at 11-6 09:52

Would it be an option to use vpn to select us and then use mimo to activate?
2023-11-6
Use props
MTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3281 ft
Netherlands

It lasted only 13 minutes in 4k@60 before overheating and stop recording, but the conditions were not the same as the first test ones.

Did mimo also the firmware update after activating?
2023-11-6
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I guess the config file works well.
2023-11-6
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 05:37
Hi,

I received my new OP3 unit this morning.

Hello, i am happy for you :-)

I went to the shop and the vendor admit very quickly the camera had a problem. Just by shuting it down turning the screen. The way the camera react was enough for him.
unfortunatly the shop was out of stock.
So DHL went today to pick it up, free of charge, for a little trip to Holland.
Now i wait.
Edit : That message was before to see your last post.
If i understand well, we must not activate the camera. Otherwise its unusable at all.

Some wrote it is normal for EU countries,  twenty  minutes at 4K/60fps, are they kidding ?
2023-11-6
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

Please let us know all result you get.
Thanks
2023-11-6
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

It lasted only 13 minutes in 4k@60 before overheating and stop recording, but the conditions were not the same as the first test ones.

Hello,

So, after having run several tests, I can confirm a few things already:

- If you activate your device in EU (I believe the MIMO app is using your GPS location to figure your country out), your OP3 becomes instantly garbage.
And *yes*, the MIMO app updated the firmware to the latest one.

I don't know if you do a factory reset whether you have to activate your unit again. I might even try this.
I think a workaround could be using a "fake gps" app, to trick the MIMO app into thinking your a US resident... I didn't test this for now.

- At my happy and surprised disbelief, the "crackconfig" file with a single line "heat test" at the root of the SD card WORKS.

I could record almost 3 hours straight while charging to the wall plug in 4k@60 (without the battery handle, screen off after 30 seconds of idling)

The camera was *really hot* though but it didn't fail.

This is obviously a hidden "feature" that must have been unofficially disclosed by a DJI engineer.

European customer should be glad to have this solution at their disposal, even though you have to put your file at the root of each SD Card (my tests are ongoing to confirm this).

I urge the DJI officials to include this workaround in an official parameter in the settings like "bypass regional overheating threshold (at your own risk)" or something, because european people who don't know this "trick" will eventually be really disapointed by this product.

- The slowmotion 4k@120 could last 18 minutes (real recording time, 74 minutes of displayed recording time), as "advertised" before stopping for "overheating".

- I'm gonna remove the "crackconfig" file of my SD card and perform all my tests again to confirm.

- I'm gonna do several other tests as well (using the battery plug, with and without wall plug) to confirm that this file is mandatory for all european customers.

Note: I'll update this message with some pictures asap.

174 minutes of recording without overheating

174 minutes of recording without overheating
2023-11-6
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

hehe2 Posted at 11-6 20:22
Hello,

So, after having run several tests, I can confirm a few things already:
It’s good that config file works in your favor.

Sometimes the regulation, legal obligation and unofficial backtrack solution can make a puzzling situation.
2023-11-6
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Pocket 3 should not be sold in EU at all If it is not working because of regional setting.

I will forward this topic to the consumer protection of EU for clarification and to look at.
2023-11-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aavalaakso Posted at 11-6 23:06
Pocket 3 should not be sold in EU at all If it is not working because of regional setting.

I will forward this topic to the consumer protection of EU for clarification and to look at.

Knowing them, they will insist that DJI prevents this 'crack'' from working, by requiring them to change the firmware to block it.  Do you really feel that it's a good idea to draw attention to this matter in the way you propose?  It just gives me a nasty premonition...
2023-11-7
Use props
Dieter_Wilke
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-7 01:58
Knowing them, they will insist that DJI prevents this 'crack'' from working, by requiring them to change the firmware to block it.  Do you really feel that it's a good idea to draw attention to this matter in the way you propose?  It just gives me a nasty premonition...

European customer should be glad to have this solution at their  disposal, even though you have to put your file at the root of each SD  Card (my tests are ongoing to confirm this).

This is important!
On each SDCard you must place the hackfile.

Remove of the file also removes the hack.

2023-11-7
Use props
ChMueller001
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

:-) What do you want to reach with that? Can only make the situation worse, when they prohibit the crack or DJI is removing it themselves.
2023-11-7
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-7 01:58

Yes.

It is much better that DJI makes better quality products if they want to sell something. Heating also causing damage and wear to the hardware to shorten the lifespan of the product. I have US friends with overheating Pocket 3s. This is not just EU thing regardless of the heat test setting.

Isn't that enough that they force us to install spying Mimo in your phone and share all your location and phone information?
2023-11-7
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

ChMueller001 Posted at 11-7 02:27
:-) What do you want to reach with that? Can only make the situation worse, when they prohibit the crack or DJI is removing it themselves.

DJI told me to do so and I sent my Pocket 3 for their hardware and software analysis and they sent me another Pocket 3 which is on the way.

If you have defective devices use warranty. If you broke your device using things not accepted you loose your warranty of the device. Pocket 3 logs when different system settings are used.

I rather keep the warranty of the device.
2023-11-7
Use props
p3dork
lvl.1

Netherlands

Dieter_Wilke Posted at 11-7 02:08
European customer should be glad to have this solution at their  disposal, even though you have to put your file at the root of each SD  Card (my tests are ongoing to confirm this).

I think the 'hack' is simply putting the P3 in an internal DJI heat test mode which is used test the heat generation of the camera and simply deactivates all overheating warnings. This means that this is NOT the same mode that non-EU units are running, since they still can give an overheating warning (although at higher temperatures than the EU mandated 48C cut off).   

I think all users who use this 'hack' should simply be aware of this, and do their own tests to see how hot the camera can get in 'heat test' mode. I think for most use cases this will be no problem. I also don't think most overheating tests are done in a realistic environment, since most people do the tests in a static setup, while in real use you move the camera around and have an air flow around the camera. So do your own tests and don't rely on random youtubers.     

Users of the 'hack' should also be aware that there might be (unlikely) scenarios where a camera is accidentally switched on, records and starts to heat up beyond temperatures where it is safe to carry (for example in a  bag next to temperature sensitive items, although it's doubtful it generates much heat filming in a pitch black environment). To be safe you could always remove the SD card when storing it.   

My guess is that DJI does not care about users applying the 'hack' because in the end the ability to do so might sell more units. However, if the 'hack' becomes more well known I would expect them to release a statement that people who apply it will lose their warranty. Which is simply for liability reasons. Because if DJI would endorse the 'hack' they would violate EU law and wouldn't be able to sell the camera in all of the EU.   

tl;dr: If you use the 'hack' do your own tests and be aware of the extra heat generation. Be also aware that you might lose your warranty while doing so. If you can tolerate both, just go ahead and have fun with the P3.
2023-11-7
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

p3dork Posted at 11-7 02:45
I think the 'hack' is simply putting the P3 in an internal DJI heat test mode which is used test the heat generation of the camera and simply deactivates all overheating warnings. This means that this is NOT the same mode that non-EU units are running, since they still can give an overheating warning (although at higher temperatures than the EU mandated 48C cut off).   

I think all users who use this 'hack' should simply be aware of this, and do their own tests to see how hot the camera can get in 'heat test' mode. I think for most use cases this will be no problem. I also don't think most overheating tests are done in a realistic environment, since most people do the tests in a static setup, while in real use you move the camera around and have an air flow around the camera. So do your own tests and don't rely on random youtubers.     

100% agreed.
2023-11-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Well, I am unaware of any reports of harm to the Action 3 & 4 using this hack (on the assumption that affected users would be quick to report such harm to the person who uploaded the original YT video).  The hack only works when the camera is used with a card with the necessary file on it, so I would have thought DJI would not be able to prove that any damage had been caused by the presence of that file, unless the user was daft enough to return the camera with the SD card in it, and the file on the card as well.  As for normal use in airflow reducing the camera temperature, that's indeed likely to be the case, but the overheating is most likely to occur when doing something like recording some kind of concert or long event, where the camera might well be indoors and static.  If I had the P3, that would be my concern, so I would check it indoors.
2023-11-7
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I think all users who use this 'hack' should simply be aware of this, and do their own tests to see how hot the camera can get in 'heat test' mode. I think for most use cases this will be no problem. I also don't think most overheating tests are done in a realistic environment, since most people do the tests in a static setup, while in real use you move the camera around and have an air flow around the camera. So do your own tests and don't rely on random youtubers.     

- The slowmotion 4k@120 could last 18 minutes (real recording time, 74 minutes of displayed recording time), as "advertised" before stopping for "overheating".

It seems it still shows over heating warning massages with this config file applied.
2023-11-7
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-7 03:19
Well, I am unaware of any reports of harm to the Action 3 & 4 using this hack (on the assumption that affected users would be quick to report such harm to the person who uploaded the original YT video).  The hack only works when the camera is used with a card with the necessary file on it, so I would have thought DJI would not be able to prove that any damage had been caused by the presence of that file, unless the user was daft enough to return the camera with the SD card in it, and the file on the card as well.  As for normal use in airflow reducing the camera temperature, that's indeed likely to be the case, but the overheating is most likely to occur when doing something like recording some kind of concert or long event, where the camera might well be indoors and static.  If I had the P3, that would be my concern, so I would check it indoors.

I have worked as software engineer and I'm 100% sure they log a lot staff including when special settings are used directly to the memory of the Pocket 3 where whole operating system is installed. SD card is just an external link to add settings without usb connection to the operating system and its parameters.
2023-11-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Personally I dislike excessive use of slow motion, and calling it "cinematic" seems a bit odd to me.  In the good old days, slow motion in the cinema was only used for the final shot where the reunited couple ran along the beach towards each other before ending up in a passionate embrace as the credits (and waves) rolled.  The thought of 74 minutes of it makes me fall asleep.  But I guess that saves on medication.
2023-11-7
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-7 03:36
Personally I dislike excessive use of slow motion, and calling it "cinematic" seems a bit odd to me.  In the good old days, slow motion in the cinema was only used for the final shot where the reunited couple ran along the beach towards each other before ending up in a passionate embrace as the credits (and waves) rolled.  The thought of 74 minutes of it makes me fall asleep.  But I guess that saves on medication.

Master peace if used well but obvious if used too much.

2023-11-7
Use props
tzsog
lvl.4
Hungary

I try too and the txt file hack WORING but sure this camera not build for became this hot! my is 50c about 45min and i prefer dont use it .i think you will destroy you camera ..just so HOT ..i wait for the Dji firmware can do better maybe
2023-11-7
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Dieter_Wilke Posted at 11-7 02:08
European customer should be glad to have this solution at their  disposal, even though you have to put your file at the root of each SD  Card (my tests are ongoing to confirm this).

Just so you know, I did several tests at my lunch break and I can confirm this.

I removed the "crackconfig" file from the SD, started to record and in 11 minutes the OP3 stopped recording for overheating.

I just plugged it back to the computer, in explorer, I right clicked  on the root of the SD Card => New => Text File (you then name it "crackconfig" without the ".txt" extension).

Then you double-click => open with => notepad, you type "heat test" then enter (to make a new empty line), then you CTRL+S to save and you quit.

That's it, I've restarted the recording and it's been almost one hour with no issue for now.

So you can copy this simple "crackconfig" somewhere on your computer to be able to easily drag&drop it on each of your newly formatted SD Cards.

I'm glad because the fix is actually working. I'm not actually satisfied with the existence of this overheating issue for European customers in the first place but for now it can be "easily" circumvented.

We'll keep testing and I hope a DJI operative will take this into account and add an option as asked in the next firmware.
2023-11-7
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Tide Posted at 11-7 03:21

It seems it still shows over heating warning massages with this config file applied.

Yes, it basically behaves like any non European OP3, with actual overheating enabled (thus the limitation of  4k@120 which stopped after 18 minutes).

The overheating protection is still on, the threshold is just not the poor/lower European one anymore when we use the "hat trick" (crackconfig file).

It should be useless/harmless for non European customers.
2023-11-7
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-7 03:36
Personally I dislike excessive use of slow motion, and calling it "cinematic" seems a bit odd to me.  In the good old days, slow motion in the cinema was only used for the final shot where the reunited couple ran along the beach towards each other before ending up in a passionate embrace as the credits (and waves) rolled.  The thought of 74 minutes of it makes me fall asleep.  But I guess that saves on medication.

The idea is to be able to shoot like a sport event (I tried playing table tennis with a colleague at work, while filming in slow motion). Then you can look and find the nice rallies and get a cool slowmotion effect.

Note that the OP3 also records the sound in a separate file so you can sync it in your video editor for cool effects. You could still play the content at the actual real time speed if you want (you just have to play the footage at x4 speed) and just use the slow motion at specific times.
2023-11-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The EU regulation is more to do with protecting user's fingers than protecting their cameras.

If DJI plan to continue to do business in the tightly regulated European market, and to do so without having massive fines imposed on them, the chances of them doing anything whatever to assist European users circumvent the regulations by bypassing the lower temperature limit through firmware or any other way are zero.

I'll say again that some kind of physical means of cooling the camera would be more likely, as an optional accessory.  Some kind of clip-on heatsink, for instance.  This would be for the concert recording fraternity in particular!
2023-11-7
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I would expect them to release a statement that people who apply it will lose their warranty.  

This is already written into warranty guarantee.
2023-11-7
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

They said the same for Pocket 1 and 2 and action cams, but they turned out to be really fine cameras.
2023-11-7
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

It is actually funny that people are fine that companies sell products that are designed to fail, cant understand that product may be defective "it is just regional thing" and it is totally fine that we use cracks, VPN:s to Belarus and US and finish the product making the own heat system. And some are saying just because some live in EU nothing works there because everything overheats. And some says Youtube comments are better statistics source than DJI own collected data. So some are also fine to download 3rd party operating system to the Car to run and you build own radiator for the motor to run more than first 10 kilometers. And doing these you don't have warranty anymore. And rest are scared if DJI knows that we use Youtube hacks and hoaxes to get products work or they will keep selling products that do not work at all because preventing hacks usage.

This is hilarious and makes me smile. Give it more.

Anyways. I hope DJI fixes the production line if there is defective production batch, optimize the firmware if that is possible to lower the needed processing power, re-plan heat system physically for later models and replaces defective units as Monday products.

At the moment only thing you can do is use warranty if product is not working.
2023-11-7
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-7 05:53
They said the same for Pocket 1 and 2 and action cams, but they turned out to be really fine cameras.

I have Pocket 1, 2 and OA4. All of those always records battery to empty. They never overheat.

Waiting my second P3 from DOA.
2023-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules