1506 36 2023-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not mine, this is in the US so obviously in FCC mode 20000ft - 3.78 miles (6km) with 4 bars left, low battery prevents any further.

I have also seen in SRRC mode 5km in sem- urban with room to spare

2023-10-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice finds Bashy.    Those are some pretty good range tests.  Occusync 4 is definitely a difference maker.
2023-10-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-29 06:54
Nice finds Bashy.    Those are some pretty good range tests.  Occusync 4 is definitely a difference maker.

From what ive seen so far, it seems to be an improvement despite some reports on here.
2023-10-29
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-29 15:38
From what ive seen so far, it seems to be an improvement despite some reports on here.

do we know if there is any improvement with the signal being blocked by trees? I know that O2 did a better job with trees then O3
2023-10-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Potato mini Posted at 10-29 18:51
do we know if there is any improvement with the signal being blocked by trees? I know that O2 did a better job with trees then O3

You would need to create a new thread because i do not have a Mini 4 Pro yet, as much as i would like one, i just cannot justify another large outlay in this climate

What i do know is that the Mini 2 was more forgiving when it came to the alignment when closer in and with regards to objects, i mean, i could go around a church at knee height (in FCC mode) and it wouldnt lose connection, the signal would drop down some but thats all. No way can i do that with my Mini 3 Pro.

With the Mini 4 Pro, the range is extended somewhat, so that has to be a stronger signal so there has to be some improvements somewhere, someone who is clued up with regards to the best alignment needs to do some decent testing with theirs to see where any improvements lay.
2023-10-29
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Potato mini Posted at 10-29 18:51

That was not my experience at all. O3 outperformed O2 in both penetration and range. O4 has been a game changer. I have found penetration through dense foliage better than O3/O3+ and range is so good that like O3/O3+ you will run out of electrons long before miles.
2023-10-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-29 15:38
From what ive seen so far, it seems to be an improvement despite some reports on here.

With my Air 3 I can tell you the signal strength is so much stronger than on my Air 2S.  Not sure if being in the FCC area makes the difference between what is being reported from UK and EU pilots.  

I haven't done any long range tests but the video quality is so much better coming back to the RC2 and I'm sure Occusync 4 is the contributing factor.  
2023-10-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-30 05:39
With my Air 3 I can tell you the signal strength is so much stronger than on my Air 2S.  Not sure if being in the FCC area makes the difference between what is being reported from UK and EU pilots.  

I haven't done any long range tests but the video quality is so much better coming back to the RC2 and I'm sure Occusync 4 is the contributing factor.

That sames to be the consensus, i do like both that and the Mini 4 Pro, sadly i cant even afford the later lol
2023-10-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-30 07:21
That sames to be the consensus, i do like both that and the Mini 4 Pro, sadly i cant even afford the later lol

I like the Mini 4 Pro also but I didn't upgrade to it from the Mini 4 Pro as I had just purchased the Air 3 and it met all my needs at this point.  No doubt I'll update when the Mini 5 Pro comes out in another 11-12 months.  
2023-10-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-30 07:45
I like the Mini 4 Pro also but I didn't upgrade to it from the Mini 4 Pro as I had just purchased the Air 3 and it met all my needs at this point.  No doubt I'll update when the Mini 5 Pro comes out in another 11-12 months.

Cant fault ya chap, if your able, why not, i would if i could If amazon ever give me "12 month buy now pay never" then i might be tempted lol
2023-10-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-30 08:01
Cant fault ya chap, if your able, why not, i would if i could  If amazon ever give me "12 month buy now pay never" then i might be tempted lol

I've made some really good investments over the years and got some fabulous returns and now that I'm retired I can afford to live comfortably but I'm still quite frugal with my money.  I'm still drawn in by all the prerelease hype but at least I have enough self control to not succumb to buying every new release.  Just every other one.    Just kidding.  I have to devote funds to my other retirement interests such as my passion for scuba diving.  

Anyway, I hope your week is off to a great start.  
2023-10-30
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 10-30 04:40
That was not my experience at all. O3 outperformed O2 in both penetration and range. O4 has been a game changer. I have found penetration through dense foliage better than O3/O3+ and range is so good that like O3/O3+ you will run out of electrons long before miles.

Sounds like DJI is needing to make better batteries
2023-10-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-30 08:47
I've made some really good investments over the years and got some fabulous returns and now that I'm retired I can afford to live comfortably but I'm still quite frugal with my money.  I'm still drawn in by all the prerelease hype but at least I have enough self control to not succumb to buying every new release.  Just every other one.    Just kidding.  I have to devote funds to my other retirement interests such as my passion for scuba diving.  

Anyway, I hope your week is off to a great start.

I wish i had had the knowledge back when it would have been useful, oh well, there's always the lottery ;)
I love suba too, not done it since 2007 mind and i wont leave the country whilst i have my dogs, heck, I've never left them forever one night yet and the oldest is 12
2023-10-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KLRSKIR Posted at 10-30 04:40

Thats my experience too in CE mode, i had to turn back else i would have ran out not much later.
2023-10-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-30 18:27
I wish i had had the knowledge back when it would have been useful, oh well, there's always the lottery ;)
I love suba too, not done it since 2007 mind and i wont leave the country whilst i have my dogs, heck, I've never left them forever one night yet and the oldest is 12

The best time to start saving and investing is at the youngest age possible.  Makes the combination of compound interest and time multiply considerably.  Also gives you time to get into stocks for the long haul vice short term with its many ups and downs.

I was diving a while back at a lake and another diver showed up and he had 2 dogs with him in his boat.  They just laid down and waited on him to return from his short dive.  Then the 3 of them took a dip in the lake.  He had to coax the dogs back out of the water as all they wanted to do was swim circles around the boat.   
2023-10-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-31 05:44
The best time to start saving and investing is at the youngest age possible.  Makes the combination of compound interest and time multiply considerably.  Also gives you time to get into stocks for the long haul vice short term with its many ups and downs.

I was diving a while back at a lake and another diver showed up and he had 2 dogs with him in his boat.  They just laid down and waited on him to return from his short dive.  Then the 3 of them took a dip in the lake.  He had to coax the dogs back out of the water as all they wanted to do was swim circles around the boat.

Yeah, im a tad late to the stocks and shares party thats for sure

Thats the problem with the UK, even when its warm, the water is still fairly cold, if the sea ever reaches 20C its at the height of a heatwave, so it would mean having to go abroad and i wouldnt leave my dogs with anyone for that, i will wait till i am able again but i reckon i will need to do a refresher PADI course, thats for sure
2023-10-31
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Japan

Bashy Posted at 10-31 18:56

Thats the problem with the UK, even when its warm, the water is still fairly cold, if the sea ever reaches 20C its at the height of a heatwave, so it would mean having to go abroad and i wouldnt leave my dogs with anyone for that, i will wait till i am able again but i reckon i will need to do a refresher PADI course, thats for sure

Are your dogs the same as the one in your profile picture?
2023-10-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Potato mini Posted at 10-31 20:29
Are your dogs the same as the one in your profile picture?

Yes chap, although the one on the right, Brandy, passed back in April, 1 month shy of 16, a damn good age for a Beardie
2023-10-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-31 18:56

Never too late to hit the lottery.

It's just like a riding a bike, you never forget.  However, having said that for safety purposes it never hurts to do a refresher course.
2023-11-1
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-31 22:59
Yes chap, although the one on the right, Brandy, passed back in April, 1 month shy of 16, a damn good age for a Beardie

That's old
2023-11-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is a good range
2023-12-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not bad with the standard battery  too
2023-12-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-14 03:59

Exactly.
I've yet to test the range of my Mi 3 Pro here in NL, but I'm sure its a lot less.
2023-12-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-14 04:09
Exactly.
I've yet to test the range of my Mi 3 Pro here in NL, but I'm sure its a lot less.

I hit 5.5km with my Mini 3 Pro and that was in CE mode using the standard battery, so its quite a capable drone, I turned back at 65% and arrived back with about 22%
2023-12-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-14 04:16
I hit 5.5km with my Mini 3 Pro and that was in CE mode using the standard battery, so its quite a capable drone, I turned back at 65% and arrived back with about 22%

That sounds promising.
Was that in an open area?
2023-12-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-14 04:29
That sounds promising.
Was that in an open area?

Yes, very much so...
2023-12-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-14 06:44
Yes, very much so...

I'm going to test urban areas out when I have more time to fly
2023-12-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-15 00:47
I'm going to test urban areas out when I have more time to fly

My urban tests are all from home, biggish village, 2 reasonably size housing estates, I am in the lower one and fly over the top one and out the other side, if I make it that far, the mini 3 pro did, especially when flying backwards lol, I think it's about 1.2km to the other end and I did it at about 100m. My main issue is rows of council houses behind me, so I actually lose Los before I lose distance Los lol, I can sneak the signal through the houses directly behind me but then there's the house further away. On the flight path about 400m away, there's one council property that I fly over and my GPS signal drops big time, enough so that the app warns me and omits only that house, my guess, they have a jammer or some other device that's killing the GPS signal :/

I can't remember my best figures for FCC urban other than when using the RC Pro, I maxed at just over 2km I think (last 2 or 300m in reverse) , I know it surpassed the N1 and DJI RC. CE was, I think, about 900 to 1km max. A town or major city would be a different ball game for sure, I think to even get 500 m you'd probably need FCC
2023-12-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-15 01:13
My urban tests are all from home, biggish village, 2 reasonably size housing estates, I am in the lower one and fly over the top one and out the other side, if I make it that far, the mini 3 pro did, especially when flying backwards lol, I think it's about 1.2km to the other end and I did it at about 100m. My main issue is rows of council houses behind me, so I actually lose Los before I lose distance Los lol, I can sneak the signal through the houses directly behind me but then there's the house further away. On the flight path about 400m away, there's one council property that I fly over and my GPS signal drops big time, enough so that the app warns me and omits only that house, my guess, they have a jammer or some other device that's killing the GPS signal :/

I can't remember my best figures for FCC urban other than when using the RC Pro, I maxed at just over 2km I think (last 2 or 300m in reverse) , I know it surpassed the N1 and DJI RC. CE was, I think, about 900 to 1km max. A town or major city would be a different ball game for sure, I think to even get 500 m you'd probably need FCC

I'll find out next spring when the renovation is over.
But from what I read online, 500m is doable. And if you're lucky you will get to 1km.
As long as the connection is stable and not dropping suddenly like it was with my Mini 2, I'm 'ok' with that.
Not very convenient for catching trains, but yeah, VLOS is gone at 500m in most cases.
2023-12-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-15 01:25
I'll find out next spring when the renovation is over.
But from what I read online, 500m is doable. And if you're lucky you will get to 1km.
As long as the connection is stable and not dropping suddenly like it was with my Mini 2, I'm 'ok' with that.

Yeah, VLOS, minor details though ;)
2023-12-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-15 07:10
Yeah, VLOS, minor details though ;)

Hahahahahahahahaha. LOL
2023-12-15
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Good job man, those range tests were proper
3-24 01:47
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2023-12-14 03:59

Plus battery will be even better
3-24 01:47
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I have a suggestion for the future: next time, do it in S (Sport) mode. N (Normal) mode can go 24mph but S mode can go 36mph. The current flight mode is shown on the top left corner of the display.
3-24 01:50
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 3-24 01:50
I have a suggestion for the future: next time, do it in S (Sport) mode. N (Normal) mode can go 24mph but S mode can go 36mph. The current flight mode is shown on the top left corner of the display.

Hi, it's quite well known that Sports mode will drain the battery quicker and have less range capability than Normal mode
3-24 02:20
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 3-24 02:20
Hi, it's quite well known that Sports mode will drain the battery quicker and have less range capability than Normal mode

But what if you use the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus?
3-24 07:41
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 3-24 07:41
But what if you use the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus?

Of course, that would go further than the standard battery but if you want to get the best range possible then use the Plus battery in Normal mode, I have only done 7000m so far with the Plus battery, I have not used it for quite some time as I have started up kayaking again, so I haven't had chance to see what I can get out of it with the Plus battery. Also note the max height I use when I do the range tests.
3-24 07:52
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules