Battery Dead-Cell Warning after Latest Firmware Upgrade
2864 8 2014-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
graham
lvl.1

Thailand

Have a P2 Vision+ only about 7 or 8 flights, no problems with anything. Upgraded firmware to latest version last week including new battery firmware.

1st flight since upgrade:

1st battery;
Took off as usual, after about 3mins got a "not enough power to return to home" warning message. Battery still showing over 80%, only 20m above my head !  Landed, power cycled and took off again. Had a good flight without any further issues.
2nd battery;
Took off as usual, after about 6 - 8min got an audible "the world is ending" sound with a message saying "Bad Cell - further use not recommended" (or something similar). Dropped height to around 1m and attempted to fly back as it was quite close. Power just dropped off to nothing and the model landed quickly and turned over. No damage to anything, luckily the ground was very soft and wet and it was only moving slowly.

The 2nd battery was not taken out of it's box until last week and has only been discharged 3 times !

It appears that the latest firmware you have released has a problem with the batteries in my model which was the root cause of this incident.
It goes without saying, this could have been a very serious and expensive situation had the model not been flying in the area that it was and the speed in which I reacted to the battery failure.
Reading through the forums I see I am not the only one that this has happened too !

Not easy to talk with the supplier as he's 500KM away Thai and I am English, purchasing is easy as it was done online.

Have sent a message to DJI through this site and have had no response !
How do I get a replacement battery ?

Thanks.

battery spec4.JPG
2014-12-9
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Send an email to your dealer outlining the problems RIGHT NOW!  DJI official policy is for you to go through your dealer first and if you're still within 7 days from when the box hit your doorstep you should be able to get a refund or exchange.  
However, if that doesn't work out, the very first entry on any of the topic pages : Contact local dealer or DJI service center

2014-12-9
Use props
MatChen23
lvl.2
China

Hi graham, could you also share the screenshot of the page of Upgrade?
2014-12-9
Use props
graham
lvl.1

Thailand

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-10 13:18
Send an email to your dealer outlining the problems RIGHT NOW!  DJI official policy is for you to go ...

As mentioned, it's not easy to communicate with the dealer in this case as I live in Thailand, I'm English. My Thai language skills don't include the ability to discuss in great depths the eventualities of a failed Phantom 2 firmware upgrade process and the effect that it has had on my batteries.
But what I did do,  as stated on this site, was contact DJI direct "when you have difficulty in contacting the supplier". Seems like it was a waste of time as they have not responded to 2 messages already sent to them ! Hence why I decided to post here thinking someone from DJI might comment.
Below is a shot of the firmware settings, think that was what MatChen23 was referring to;

Capture 3.JPG
2014-12-9
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I buy a lot on line - mostly from asian countries but I live in England, I bought my Phantom2 from a UK supplier because of potential communication issues. So I know where your coming from.

Just for clarification your sure is a genuine battery ?  if so I can't see why DJI would not help. Its supposed to be a good company, I guess were about to find out
2014-12-10
Use props
graham
lvl.1

Thailand

Definitely genuine DJI Battery - still not had any communication from DJI, over a week now!
Why doesn't someone from DJI who monitors this forum reply ?

Got this reply back from the supplier;

"Dear Sir
My Technician check your Battery already. 1cell damage and swelling.
I recommend change a dead cell. cost about 1000-(add new cell+soldering)"

Not the kind of answer I was quite expecting ! New battery with only 3 discharges...
How much confidence would you have flying after you have had someone chop up your new battery and solder in a replacement cell from which ever non-DJI battery part supplier !!

This a DJI recommended and approved repair job after all the warnings and disclaimers they have in place for us using these models with non-dji batteries ?

Told them, not acceptable...waiting answer now.
2014-12-12
Use props
graham
lvl.1

Thailand

Still no answer from DJI !

Do they have any interest in their customers ?

Worst support I've ever come across...
2014-12-13
Use props
MatChen23
lvl.2
China

graham@thai-con Posted at 2014-12-14 14:23
Still no answer from DJI !

Do they have any interest in their customers ?

Hi graham, I should have informed you in advance that I am currently working in DJI. After internally discussing with colleagues, I am sorry to tell you that your battery is damaged and not recommend you use it any more. The latest firmware is able to detect the damage of batteries but not the reason to cause a damage. Is your battery still in warranty? If the damage is an quality issue (I mean not because of misusing it), you may have the right to argue for a free repair service. Can you provide any information about the warranty policy of your supplier? Thanks~
2014-12-15
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

MatChen23 Posted at 2014-12-15 16:35
Hi graham, I should have informed you in advance that I am currently working in DJI. After interna ...

If the battery is an original & 3 months old or less then DJI must replace it regardless where he bought it from.
2014-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules