Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brusa69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3362251 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Some are saying EU laws are limiting max temp to 48 Celsius degrees
so then in EU Pocket 3 and also action 3 and 4 power off in EU and not in US.
When you activate it if you are in EU you get this temp limit.
DJI should let users decide if they want this limitation via a config switch in settings and not hardcoded in FW.
DJI please confirm this is a software thing in EU, thanks
2023-11-7
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

brusa69 Posted at 11-7 12:48
Some are saying EU laws are limiting max temp to 48 Celsius degrees
so then in EU Pocket 3 and also action 3 and 4 power off in EU and not in US.
When you activate it if you are in EU you get this temp limit.

Would there be any point in expecting companies to reach the parameters of the CE mark. And why should dji risk been banned from selling into the EU. The action 3/4 work fine a lot better than go pros in every region.
2023-11-7
Use props
brusa69
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-7 13:13
Would there be any point in expecting companies to reach the parameters of the CE mark. And why should dji risk been banned from selling into the EU. The action 3/4 work fine a lot better than go pros in every region.

Try this out then we will discuss
https://youtu.be/1Hp3sl882PU?si=MKMQGfXvqDk7G57S
2023-11-7
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

brusa69 Posted at 11-7 13:22

Seems to be a good ‘fix’ for most. I tend to shoot shorter clips anyways, more of a ‘run and gun’ type use, so generally overheating doesn’t affect me too much……..I hope……..lol
2023-11-7
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

brusa69 Posted at 11-7 13:22

I don’t need all the faff my pocket works well, I also own action/1,2 &3 as well as pocket 1/2 and none of them require a hack, adding soft wear to dji products can void your warranty , its not up to dji to decide if they comply with CE parameters . I’m not sure what your point is I already posted the possibility of a hack earlier in this thread.
2023-11-7
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

By now it's pretty evident that units activated in the EU are subject to tighter heating controls. I do not expect any recall from DJI, nor do I expect any statements etc - it would just be nice for companies like this to offer some transparency on the situation, rather then try to hide and hope for the best.
The 'hack' should not void any warranty at all. From my understanding, it simply seems to place the unit into the non-EU temperature bracket, so bypasses the 48 degree shutdown, but will still shutdown at 60degrees, which is most likely where non-EU units are set. Even so, we still shouldn't need to use any such 'hack' in the first instance. It's a bit of faffing around to get something to work as it should out of the box. While I appreciate the situation is out of DJI's control when it comes to the EU, some clarity would be nice - if only to just reassure users that this is 'normal' behavior for EU users and hence not waste time testing and looking for 'fixes'.

Personally, I believe it's best to just use the camera as intended. Avoid any such heat stress tests unless you do actually record lengthy sessions. I personally tend to use these style cameras for short clips, unless its a hyper or timelapse of course, so my intention is to use the camera 'normally' for my uses. I've purchased from Amazon this time, since due to the Xmas season their returns are extended through to 31st Jan 2024 - giving me 2.5 months breathing space to use the camera, with the option of returning for refund if it doesn't meet my expectations.
2023-11-8
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

IftiBashir Posted at 11-8 00:45
By now it's pretty evident that units activated in the EU are subject to tighter heating controls. I do not expect any recall from DJI, nor do I expect any statements etc - it would just be nice for companies like this to offer some transparency on the situation, rather then try to hide and hope for the best.
The 'hack' should not void any warranty at all. From my understanding, it simply seems to place the unit into the non-EU temperature bracket, so bypasses the 48 degree shutdown, but will still shutdown at 60degrees, which is most likely where non-EU units are set. Even so, we still shouldn't need to use any such 'hack' in the first instance. It's a bit of faffing around to get something to work as it should out of the box. While I appreciate the situation is out of DJI's control when it comes to the EU, some clarity would be nice - if only to just reassure users that this is 'normal' behavior for EU users and hence not waste time testing and looking for 'fixes'.

It’s great to see some common sense applied, I do find one thing about common sense “its not very common” :+)
2023-11-8
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

IftiBashir Posted at 11-8 00:45
By now it's pretty evident that units activated in the EU are subject to tighter heating controls. I do not expect any recall from DJI, nor do I expect any statements etc - it would just be nice for companies like this to offer some transparency on the situation, rather then try to hide and hope for the best.
The 'hack' should not void any warranty at all. From my understanding, it simply seems to place the unit into the non-EU temperature bracket, so bypasses the 48 degree shutdown, but will still shutdown at 60degrees, which is most likely where non-EU units are set. Even so, we still shouldn't need to use any such 'hack' in the first instance. It's a bit of faffing around to get something to work as it should out of the box. While I appreciate the situation is out of DJI's control when it comes to the EU, some clarity would be nice - if only to just reassure users that this is 'normal' behavior for EU users and hence not waste time testing and looking for 'fixes'.

All that long post to basically say nothing new but your own preference of usage of this product, which is not everybody's.

If European customers want to record videos of any length, this is a totally normal and legitimate use of the product and it's what it was designed for.

The product could have been designed otherwise so that it wouldn't get hot at all and thus there wouldn't be anything related to the EU regulations involved.

They designed the OP3 in a way the components become pretty hot during a normal use, probably because it would have been more expensive to get higher end components that are not much stressed to do the "job" and wouldn't get (that) hot.

Here we are, they won't change the hardware now, we just need the firmware to help us circumvent this overheating issue without having to rely on a hidden feature.

2023-11-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameras are not designed to produce heat. This is a natural occurrence due to the power of these small chipsets being placed in a tight physical frame. Its inevitable and affects not only the Pocket 3, but also action camera manufacturers, such as GoPro. If you want ridiculously high shooting settings like 4K/60 and 4K/120 from a tiny gadget, then you have to expect the heat to go along with it. I do not understand how you can possibly imagine 'the product could have been designed so it would not get hot at all'? That's simply impossible. Heat will ALWAYS be generated when pushing power from these tiny chipsets. The problem comes down to how you manage heat dissipation, which is difficult when it comes to a tight physical frame, again, as we see with all action camera designs. If you want something so small, but so powerful, then its just part of the parcel I'm afraid.

Should you have to accept it? No, you shouldn't. The camera should record lengthy sessions as advertised, although you may have to do it at lower settings where less heat is generated in the first instance, so less heat to dissipate. If you think a firmware update will fix this issue, it wont. They cant just magically make the camera produce less heat, or make it dissipate that heat any quicker - its down to the laws of physics. All you can do is add airflow in order to aid that heat dissipation somewhat.

What they did with the Action 2 was introduce a case so it didn't 'feel' as hot and burn your fingers in the first place. That doesn't fix the issue, its a workaround.
Similarly, GoPro's attempt to combat heat was to introduce a new 'tripod mode', which would be used with no airflow, and would simply reduce capture settings enough so that the heat threshold wasn't hit in the first instance. Again, not a fix for overheating, just a workaround.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are waiting for a firmware update to 'fix' this, then it won't come. Can DJI do it? Yes, they can. It's clear they can since non EU models do not seem to suffer as much. Will they do it? No they won't, because they are bound to EU laws and have no say in the matter. The only option for now is to try to work around the issue as much as possible by introducing airflow as and where you can (which I appreciate isn't as easy with a handheld camera as it is with an action camera), or lower you settings for lengthy recording sessions to reduce heat generation in the first instance. It all comes down to how users intend to use their camera, which is why I stated I will use it as normal to see how it works for my own personal intended usage - if it's not suitable it'll simply be returned, or a warranty claim placed. Unfortunately, we have no other choice.

What would be nice is if DJI actually came clean and confirmed the operating temp threshold for EU activated models. Saves us all the guesswork. But I suspect they won't. This will just be swept under the carpet, since the majority of Pocket 3 users probably don't even know there is any overhetaing issue in the first place. We on this forum represent a tiny fraction of the user base for this product after all.
2023-11-8
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

hehe2 Posted at 11-8 01:32
All that long post to basically say nothing new but your own preference of usage of this product, which is not everybody's.

If European customers want to record videos of any length, this is a totally normal and legitimate use of the product and it's what it was designed for.

The product could have been designed otherwise so that it wouldn't get hot at all and thus there wouldn't be anything related to the EU regulations involved.

Yes it could but it would be so big they would have to call it “the osmo bag”

There are lots of cameras for sale in Europe that will give you high quality recording for longer periods, but none of them are this small with this size sensor.
2023-11-8
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

IftiBashir Posted at 11-8 02:45
Cameras are not designed to produce heat. This is a natural occurrence due to the power of these small chipsets being placed in a tight physical frame. Its inevitable and affects not only the Pocket 3, but also action camera manufacturers, such as GoPro. If you want ridiculously high shooting settings like 4K/60 and 4K/120 from a tiny gadget, then you have to expect the heat to go along with it. I do not understand how you can possibly imagine 'the product could have been designed so it would not get hot at all'? That's simply impossible. Heat will ALWAYS be generated when pushing power from these tiny chipsets. The problem comes down to how you manage heat dissipation, which is difficult when it comes to a tight physical frame, again, as we see with all action camera designs. If you want something so small, but so powerful, then its just part of the parcel I'm afraid.

Should you have to accept it? No, you shouldn't. The camera should record lengthy sessions as advertised, although you may have to do it at lower settings where less heat is generated in the first instance, so less heat to dissipate. If you think a firmware update will fix this issue, it wont. They cant just magically make the camera produce less heat, or make it dissipate that heat any quicker - its down to the laws of physics. All you can do is add airflow in order to aid that heat dissipation somewhat.

Come, please cut the crap, the Osmo Pocket 1 can record using the 4k@60 resolution for two hours without overheating, it's even tinier than the OP3, this is not "ridiculous" resolution@framerate, it's just nowadays standard.

The "fix" works, DJI should just integrate some setting in the parameters to allow the camera to behave as it does worldwide (with a disclaimer for EU users) so that we don't need this small text file on all our SD Cards.

I don't ask much nor magic, but European people who buy this OP3 will be disappointed (unless they find the solution on this forum or more likely YouTube).

2023-11-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hehe2 Posted at 11-8 05:26
Come, please cut the crap, the Osmo Pocket 1 can record using the 4k@60 resolution for two hours without overheating, it's even tinier than the OP3, this is not "ridiculous" resolution@framerate, it's just nowadays standard.

The "fix" works, DJI should just integrate some setting in the parameters to allow the camera to behave as it does worldwide (with a disclaimer for EU users) so that we don't need this small text file on all our SD Cards.

The osmo pocket 1 doesnt have the same chipset, a 1 inch sensor, etc.
If the Pocket 1 works for you, maybe that's the one you need to stick with??
The chipset in the Pocket 3 is much more powerful, hence the extra heat generated. It's not difficult to understand.

The 'fix' is not actually a fix. It doesn't fix the problem at all. It's a workaround that DJI cannot implement because of EU law. It's not as simple as providing end users the ability to circumvent rules at their own risk. DJI keep responsibility here.

Look, I agree with you. The camera 'should' record for as long as the battery allows at the high settings. But the fact of the matter is us in the EU are screwed over yet again, because of the EU. For the moment the only option we have is to place files on the memory card to fool the camera into thinking it's in some kind of test mode. There's nothing else to offer.

DJI can't fix this issue with firmware - not because the hardware cant handle it, but because they are bound by stupid EU law.
DJI will not recall products. Period.
So what you do from here is your choice and dependent upon how you intend to use the camera.
2023-11-8
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

IftiBashir Posted at 11-8 05:43
The osmo pocket 1 doesnt have the same chipset, a 1 inch sensor, etc.
If the Pocket 1 works for you, maybe that's the one you need to stick with??
The chipset in the Pocket 3 is much more powerful, hence the extra heat generated. It's not difficult to understand.

Are you a DJI employee?

Your answers are so full of self loathing crap it makes me wonder...

You even had to duplicate a lengthy terrible post of yours from one thread to the other, being such an arrogant troll.

If the OP1 can handle 4k@60, the OP3 should be able to handle it really easily with such a "more powerful chipset". That's pure and simple logic.

2023-11-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok I'm done at this point. Not going to argue over a camera. I've been nothing but sincere with my posts and have not resort to insults.
You carry on trying to change the world.
2023-11-8
Use props
brusa69
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

Funny thing
if it happens in US > class action, if it happens in EU.... product works as designed .
This is unbelievable, i have run a day filming without any problem but did not try functions like webcam, timelapses.
We pay for the Pocket3 the same price with half functions, great!
2023-11-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hehe2, I'm sorry, but I for one cannot discuss matters further with you.  Others may decide differently.
2023-11-8
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

brusa69 Posted at 11-8 05:59
Funny thing
if it happens in US > class action, if it happens in EU.... product works as designed .
This is unbelievable, i have run a day filming without any problem but did not try functions like webcam, timelapses.

Well no - we actually pay more when you consider all the taxes etc!

Did you get a day filming with the Pocket 3?? If so, that sounds promising at least!Timelapses etc arent as intensive as video capture, so you shoud be OK!

Need to test mine later!
2023-11-8
Use props
brusa69
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

IftiBashir Posted at 11-8 06:01
Well no - we actually pay more when you consider all the taxes etc!

Did you get a day filming with the Pocket 3?? If so, that sounds promising at least!Timelapses etc arent as intensive as video capture, so you shoud be OK!

I mean short clips for a day of trekking,this is a clip in HDR/HLG (so use an HDR device to see it)  with Pocket 3 and Mavic 3 Classic

Fiming outside with about 10C degrees and short clips in HLG, had no problems.
Then i won't probably use the Pocket3 as a webcam or for long lives on youtube, but i am interested in moving timelapses so need to try. In case of problems, hope that at least DJI won't break the hack. But i still feel they should fix the firmware or let the user decide if they want the 48C protection or not, maybe with a disclaimer.
2023-11-8
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-8 06:00
hehe2, I'm sorry, but I for one cannot discuss matters further with you.  Others may decide differently.

I'm totally fine with that since I don't recall having ever replied to any of your messages.
2023-11-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

brusa69 Posted at 11-8 06:13
I mean short clips for a day of trekking,this is a clip in HDR/HLG (so use an HDR device to see it)  with Pocket 3 and Mavic 3 Classic
https://youtu.be/KBeN6K475H8

Unfortunately as has been described in earlier posts, this is not a firmware issue, unless they can identify some code inefficiency which is causing the device to work harder than it needs to - but I suspect that would only make a minor improvement of a degree or two.  As for the compliance with EU regulations, that's not something that they can decide not to do (whether by removing the EU temperature limit restriction, or by providing a setting which allows the user to circumvent it).  That could at the very least put them at risk of having to pay a substantial fine, or running up a large legal bill trying to avoid it.  Furthermore, DJI operates in the context of some governmental hostility in some parts of the world, and it wouldn't make commercial sense to risk increasing that.
2023-11-8
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-8 06:40
Unfortunately as has been described in earlier posts, this is not a firmware issue, unless they can identify some code inefficiency which is causing the device to work harder than it needs to - but I suspect that would only make a minor improvement of a degree or two.  As for the compliance with EU regulations, that's not something that they can decide not to do (whether by removing the EU temperature limit restriction, or by providing a setting which allows the user to circumvent it).  That could at the very least put them at risk of having to pay a substantial fine, or running up a large legal bill trying to avoid it.  Furthermore, DJI operates in the context of some governmental hostility in some parts of the world, and it wouldn't make commercial sense to risk increasing that.

Touchy issue for DJI for sure. If they know about a (well-publicized now) backdoor hack to circumvent EU safety regulations and do nothing about it, they could potentially be held liable if a hacked unit led to property destruction (or worse) due to the hack totally shutting down overtemp protections.
2023-11-8
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

hehe2 Posted at 11-8 05:50
Are you a DJI employee?

Your answers are so full of self loathing crap it makes me wonder...

Looks like you are intent on pushing the self destruct button
2023-11-8
Use props
fans6f8670ad
lvl.2

United Kingdom

brusa69 Posted at 11-8 06:13
https://youtu.be/KBeN6K475H8

Nice tune, who is the artist please?
2023-11-8
Use props
brusa69
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

fans6f8670ad Posted at 11-8 12:50
Nice tune, who is the artist please?

Audiio
2023-11-9
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

All advertising made one Youtube can be considere as a lie.
Happy bloggers tells you can film anything but in reality Eu countries are limited in time with this camera. About 25 minutes, is this fair ???? The price is the same nor functionnalities.
As it is clearly false advertising and as DJI and retaillers does not communicate the true specs of the product, this should be solve in court !

Me too i used an OP1 in the pas and could fill a 500 Go card in 4K/60fps without any issue, camera plugged on an external battery.
Do you have any idea how long it makes ?

It is a shame.
This camera, is a fake for EU users.
Don't buy it.
2023-11-9
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic Posted at 11-9 12:56
All advertising made one Youtube can be considere as a lie.
Happy bloggers tells you can film anything but in reality Eu countries are limited in time with this camera. About 25 minutes, is this fair ???? The price is the same nor functionnalities.
As it is clearly false advertising and as DJI and retaillers does not communicate the true specs of the product, this should be solve in court !

Thanks for the feedback.

Please upgrade v01.01.08.70 firmware. We optimized this issue, espcially with battery handle plugged.
2023-11-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-10 06:07
Thanks for the feedback.

We are looking into this issue and will get it optimized.

Thank you for the update. Good to know its at least being looked in to.
Any further updates would be most appreciated.
2023-11-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I suspect that "optimised" will be possible but "fixed" might not, without doing something radical as was done with the free case for the Action 2.  (I'm still thinking clip-on heatsink).
2023-11-10
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-10 07:08
I suspect that "optimised" will be possible but "fixed" might not, without doing something radical as was done with the free case for the Action 2.  (I'm still thinking clip-on heatsink).

Where would a clip on heatsink go though?? There isnt space on top of the base of the gimbal, which is where the heat dissipates from at the moment....

I'm hoping for a way to bypass (with disclaimer), but it could just be what GoPro did a few years back - lower the settings and call it a 'Tripod Mode' or something, where theres no airflow.....
2023-11-10
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

IftiBashir Posted at 11-10 07:28
Where would a clip on heatsink go though?? There isnt space on top of the base of the gimbal, which is where the heat dissipates from at the moment....

I'm hoping for a way to bypass (with disclaimer), but it could just be what GoPro did a few years back - lower the settings and call it a 'Tripod Mode' or something, where theres no airflow.....

This might help

2023-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules