Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Question about new P2V+ v3 Gimbal / SW versions
1171 6 2014-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

Hi Everyone,  

This is my first post and I haven't received my P2V+ v3 as of yet but will soon .   I've been watching YouTubes and reading everything I can find including the manual and all of these topics.  I've been flying a small quad to get the feel of it all over the house and annoying my family with the buzz but I want to be as ready as possible.

I have lots of questions but a few in particular because the more I read these forums the more I get the SH*T scared out of me.  I Here are a few of the questions I have now.

1.  I read it is a good idea to remove the camera from the P2V+ before you first flights to protect it from the possibility of crash.  That makes sense since it seems like the camera is 1/2 the price of the entire unit to replace if needed.  My question is:  What does it take to remove the camera?  Is it really a good idea?  Page 13 of the manual shows the "Anti-drop" kit and I assume there's a cable too.  Is it just a matter of removing the screws and and unplugging the cable?

2.  Does anyone have a good list of the best combinations of software versions for all the components including P2, controller, battery, etc.?  There seems to be some issues with current releases on the website and I don't want to upgrade my future P2 and make it useless.  

3.  Is Phantom mode the same thing as GPS in NAZA-M mode?  The RTH option in IOC seems to have some really great value although I see myself flying with S1 and S2 up 90% of the time but having that option.  I would not even load Manual, just Failsafe on the S1 switch.   

There are more questions but these answers would help me a lot.

Thanks,

Tom
2014-12-9
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Seriously?  You're going to unbox your Phantom and your first step, without knowing anything else about it, you're going to attempt to disassemble the camera?   Ironic how your avatar conveys my reaction to that...

1)  If you're REALLY concerned about your first few flights I'd suggest spending about 40 bucks for one of the little Nano 3D or similar quadcopters.  They fly just like the Phantom, you can fly it indoors, they don't break on the first impact (nor do they break things they run into!) and best of all, in the absolute worst case scenario of total destruction when the dog chews it up you're only out 40 bucks -- not the $900-1400 that a Phantom can cost!  
2)  Go to the Phantom 2 support page and download a copy of the user manual, the Phantom 2 Assistant Software v3.6, the Phantom 2 Vision+ Pilot Training Guide (EN) v1.1 and if you have a windows computer the DJI WIN Driver Installer.  You don't HAVE to do any of the updates but who knows, your Phantom could have been sitting in a warehouse for a while and you can at least check and see if there are any updates.  
3)  Don't worry about all the advanced features until you've managed to maintain controlled flight of your Phantom within a 100 foot radius.  You need to acquire some "muscle memory" in handling the remote control and the best was to do that is by incremental steps.  Otherwise your next forum post we're going to be reading about is "Lucy, you've got some 'splainin' to do!"
2014-12-9
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

TSP,  I am in the same boat and ditto:
the more I read these forums the more I get the SH*T  scared out of me.
  I read the same thing about removing the camera initially, but I'm with Gil in his response, which made me chuckle
Ironic how your avatar conveys my reaction to that...

Gil, it sounds like he's already been practicing on a starter quad.  Also Gil, keep your posts coming, I find them informative and reassuring.
2014-12-9
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

if this is your first heli/quad/r/c , take small steps.

dont go doing what other u tubers do in your first flight. learn to control the quad as gill said with in a 100 feet radius.
above all dont painc. read and learn the basics, use the pilot training booklet.  its all about safety in this hobby.
i think we have all seen vids of people taking this quads to silly heights only for the battery warning to come on and they plumet to the ground.
know the limitaions of yourself and the quad .. it can be a rewarding feeling that you brought your quad back to fly another day.
2014-12-10
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-10 12:56
Seriously?  You're going to unbox your Phantom and your first step, without knowing anything else ab ...

gil, lol - the avatar was my expression of what I think I would look like if I crashed and burned my new phantom.  

I've read the manual front to back and consumed all that I can from forums and youtube, vimeo etc.  I know a lot more than I did when I flew my friends straight up Phantom (no camera) and was hooked.  like I said I have hours of time flying that little quad indoors and I'm naturally conservative which is why I asked about removal of the camera as an option.  I've continued to look and tend to agree with those that say it is as risky to remove it as to leave it in place.  So, it won't be coming off - not on purpose anyway.  

I have found there are some gimbal protector devices available out there.  Has anyone experienced them are they effective while still allowing the gimbal to do it's thing?

here are some examples:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gimbal-S ... hash=item418c1dbc8d

-or-

http://www.acesdeals.biz/apps/webstore/products/show/5353168  

There was another plastic one too but it seemed less robust and I can't find it again anyway.

In the meantime, I'll get my buddy to fly with me and start out low and slow with not far to go.  I promise.    
2014-12-10
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

D'OH!  As my imaginary Zen master might say "You are looking but not seeing, grasshopper"  

I had read where you already had a mini-quad but that's what I get for doing a quickie cut-and-paste from another thread that I answered and not proofreading afterwards.  My apologies.  The fact that you've found a buddy that already has some experience (otherwise known as "adult supervision") and you've mastered the mini-quad sounds like you're already taking a cautious approach so you are leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of new owners with itchy fingers.

I have no personal experience with using a gimbal protector but after a catastrophic crash with my first P2V+ that crushed the battery, cracked the main board and even bent the main arm of the gimbal mount the camera was only thing that still worked!  Ironic, huh?  (By the way, I notified DJI within the first week I had this Phantom, I sent it in and got a refurbished P2V+ back in about 4 weeks so not everyone experience with DJI is bad -- just wanted to throw that in to calm your terror from reading some of the scary stories you've been reading on the forum)   I now have a total of 4 Phantoms and nary a one has any gimbal protectors.    Over the years I like to believe I have gained some wisdom and have developed a philosophy of "it's only a bad experience if you didn't learn anything from it" and so my flying has been tempered with a bit more caution that when I began.

I think you're going to be ok.
2014-12-10
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

14 more days and I get to open the box!!!!  Have not felt this way prior to Christmas since I was a little kid hoping to get a new Atari!  Pretty thrilling.  Until then, I continue to consume all this knowledge and experience who have flown before us.  Gil, good to read your posts, they are helping calm me after reading all the doom and gloom "you just threw away 1300 dollar" posts.
2014-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules