I'm torn. P3 or Inspire.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ace789nj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151309 ft
United States

So I've quickly moved from the P2V to the P3A and other than Dji's stellar tech support, I have zero issues and I'm loving the quad. I recently attended a drone seminar and traing course (for my job) and the builds we are most likely going to be using are modded inspire units. I have to say...I really really like it. My question is, anyone regret getting a Phntom because you feel like you should've went to the next level? Is it worth it? (I'd be buying my own for personal use, wouldn't be bringing the work unit home ...and it wouldnt have the extra goodies )
2015-9-5
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

hell no, i love the p3. now if you require the dual rc capabilities and 360 camera, then .....
2015-9-5
Use props
ace789nj
lvl.2
United States

I don't require them personally. I think I'm being lulled by the bad ass look and function of the inspire. Plus the payload ability.
2015-9-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I would love to be wearing shoes like yours... ;-)

It must be tough, having to make such difficult decisions, where drones are concerned?

Good luck, choose wisely. Hahaha they both are awesome.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-5
Use props
ace789nj
lvl.2
United States

@Redhot I'm wearing those fancy new fiscally irresponsible shoes by MasterCard. LOL Have fun now pay later....I keep thinking... It's not like I had the money for the P3 to begin with so F it, maybe go all out.
2015-9-5
Use props
AlmostTan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118665 ft
United States

For personal use, the P3 is much more portable than the inspire.  Other than that, the inspire pretty much beats it on all accounts.

BTW: you get to fly drones for work? Did they pay for you to get your pilot's license? That's badass!
2015-9-5
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

I recently got the P3P for my business, and my sole purpose is to use it as a photographic tool. I returned my first P3P's and contemplated on getting the Inspire 1 instead, the ONE thing that held me off was the portability.

The inspire 1 while being the superior tool in every way, there is one thing the P3P has over the inspire 1, and that is portability. P3 can be taken just about anywhere since its fit in a backpack easily. There is no dedicated backpacks for the Inspire 1. (sure you can wear outside of some backpacks, or get harness for the "hardcase")  The Inspire 1 will attract more attention which is also not desired for most people working.
So my reasoning was i can have a P3P on it's own, but not a inspire 1.

Don't get me wrong, ill get the Inspire 1 later this fall or in the spring to go with the P3P. There are features i already now can see the benefits of over the P3P.

2015-9-5
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

To me it comes down to what's to gain by flying an Inspire? Same basic camera as the Phantom, same company supporting it. The 4k video camera is OK for video, but the 12 megapixel for stills doesn't cut it.
The 360 degree gimbal of the Inspire is nice, but with no auto iris the benefits are a larger heavier quad, and the ability to have a dedicated camera person. That wasn't enough for me.

I went with another brand's hexacopter and a DSLR. For not much more than the cost of an Inspire 1, I got a package with will lift close to 10 pounds and has the ability to use dual batteries for longer flight times.

There are DJI Flame wheels out there on the used market for less than an Inspire if you still wish to stay with DJI.
2015-9-6
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-6 08:24
To me it comes down to what's to gain by flying an Inspire? Same basic camera as the Phantom, same c ...

Gregg, if I may ask which hexacopter did you go with for your DSLR? I am looking to add one. Thanks Al
2015-9-6
Use props
mech
lvl.2

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-6 06:24
To me it comes down to what's to gain by flying an Inspire? Same basic camera as the Phantom, same c ...

One addition thing, the P3 has a longer battery life.
2015-9-6
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

P3 kicks butt in the distance department.
2015-9-6
Use props
ace789nj
lvl.2
United States

AlmostTan Posted at 2015-9-6 01:18
For personal use, the P3 is much more portable than the inspire.  Other than that, the inspire prett ...

It's not set in stone yet, its going to cost us somewhere bewteen 42 and 50 K. If it goes through, two of us will come out of it with licenses and a few other perks.
2015-9-6
Use props
ace789nj
lvl.2
United States

Thanks guys for the input. I really don't *need* the inspire, I just thought it was so cool when we trained on it. I'm happy with the P3 so I guess I should leave well enough alone. It's nice to know there are pros to the P3 over the inspire. I hadn't even taken portability into account but now that it's been mentioned, the setup that was proposed for my work pretty much took up an entire trunk, that's a lot of space.
2015-9-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both and it is a toss up. The Inspire itself is a different Quad all together in it's capabilities.
2015-9-6
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

mech@wispertel. Posted at 2015-9-6 10:04
One addition thing, the P3 has a longer battery life.

It's close -- 22 minutes (Inspire 1) vs 23 minutes (P3).

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-9-6
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are some other differences I noticed between the two:

- Inspire 1 parts and accessories are much more expensive.
- Many Inspire 1 parts cannot be purchased online (if you crash). So, you need to send it in to DJI to be repaired.
- The Inspire 1 has a much wider landing gear base, so it cannot tip over when landing.
- It takes longer to get the Inspire 1 ready to fly. You need to take it out of travel mode and attach the camera.
- Inspire 1 cases are huge.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-9-6
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

al.zamorski Posted at 2015-9-6 10:02
Gregg, if I may ask which hexacopter did you go with for your DSLR? I am looking to add one. Thank ...

I went with the Align M690L. $1500 for the hexacopter , $400 for the radio, $200 for the video transmitter  and another $1200 for the gimbal..

Align lets you remove motors to make the 690 into the 490 if you don't need the power. You can still use the dual batteries for almost 35 minutes for flight time.
2015-9-6
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-6 11:20
I went with the Align M690L. $1500 for the hexacopter , $400 for the radio, $200 for the video tra ...

Thanks Gregg!
2015-9-6
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

ace789nj@comcas Posted at 2015-9-6 01:00
I don't require them personally. I think I'm being lulled by the bad ass look and function of the in ...

The payload that the Inspire can carry is moot, as as far as I know, no one other than a custom manufacturer makes a gimbal to interchange another camera system. The camera/gimbal from the Inspire can be used with DJI's hand held camera system

What the Inspire does do over the Phantom is being a heavier craft, it handles wind better.

As I typed before, if you want to stay with DJI, look at the Spread Wings  (S900 or S1000) craft. Then you have the ability to interchange camera/gimbal systems.

The smaller Phantom for what it is, is a well designed quad. The execution could have been better, but in the price range, it's the best available.  You can't fly in heavy winds, nor should you. Just remember this.

A basic Inspire 1 is $2900 with one remote. A S1000 will set you back close to $4500 with gimbal and then you need a camera. Another $2k will get you a DLSR and lens. The price goes up exponentially the more you want. Decide if 4K video and a 12 megapixel is going to suit your photographic needs.
2015-9-6
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

I saw an inspire today.   Very impressive
2015-9-6
Use props
jebryant10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56112 ft
United States

I started out with a P2 Vision, upgraded to a P2 Vision +, then to an Inspire 1. I loved all of them but flew the P2 Vision + more then the others. Decided to sell all of them and bought a P3 Advanced. I don't need two controllers and never use 4K. For a $1000 it is a good choice, I like it a lot!
2015-9-6
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-6 00:45
hell no, i love the p3. now if you require the dual rc capabilities and 360 camera, then .....

I would pay good money for a device that had a built-in FPV display. The Blade Chroma has a display built-in, but it's WiFi and not the great display we see on our mobile devices with the Phantom 3. But, if there was a Phantom with a similar screen built-in that would run the HD view we see *and* the GO app (or equivalent), I would pay a lot for that!

We'll probably eventually see it, but it might cost $3K or $4K.
2015-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules