4069 12 2023-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

Hi.  

I am currently drone shopping; and I am looking to upgrade my Mini 2 Pro to a Mini 4 Pro.

I am totally a *recreational* flier.

My understanding is:
  • With STANDARD batteries, I do not require remote ID on a Mini 4 Pro.
  • With PLUS batteries, I require Remote ID and the drone must be registered  (over 249 g limit; even with recreational use)

My goal:  I want a drone without remote ID and without registration.
I am not looking to do anything illegitimate; I just want to buy a drone that meets the rules and doesn't require Remote ID. (I like my privacy) This is a main reason I am looking at a mini 4 vs something bigger.

QUESTIONS:
  • Is remote ID enabled by default on the Mini 4?
  • Can remote ID be disabled by the user if flying standard batteries?
  • Will putting in heavier PLUS batteries turn on Remote ID automatically?  (not sure if I would upgrade down the road)

Thank you for your time.

2023-10-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

You cannot disable RID, that is part of the regulation. Don't worry about RID, any concerns you have are way overblown.
2023-10-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, OneSnark. Yes the Remote ID is on by default. According to the Remote ID rule, the Remote ID system cannot be disabled by any person, and once the drone is upgraded to RID-compliant firmware, it cannot be downgraded. Manufacturers are prohibited from providing users with any method or tool in any form that can disable Remote ID. A Remote-compliant aircraft will always broadcast its  RID when in use. But if you only wish to fly for recreational purposes, there are other DJI drones that you can use that weigh below 250g and do not have RID such as DJI Mini, DJI Mini 2, and DJI Mini 2 SE. Have a great day ahead.
2023-10-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, we don't have an option to disable the remote ID.  According to the Remote ID rule, the Remote ID system cannot be disabled by any person, and once the drone is upgraded to RID-compliant firmware, it cannot be downgraded. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-10-30
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

Thank you all for your replies.

I suspected this was the case; but my google-fu failed me.
I will consider my choices with this information   ;)

To quote someone above:  "Don't worry about RID, any concerns you have are way overblown."
Without quibbling too much: I understand the arguments for RID. It's just my view that people these days are far too willing to be "tracked"; be it usage tracking or location tracking. My desire for the most privacy I can get (while still being a functional member of society) is a strong personal preference that informs my consumer choices.  Your mileage may vary - and have a nice day!

2023-10-31
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

OneSnark Posted at 10-31 07:15

RID probably exists because amazon and walmart wanted a way to control the airways for their commercial drone business.  I would bet their commercial drones will have rid readers and they would report anyone interfering with them.

Other than the occasional someone being dumb and flying into an mlb game, etc there was never any issue that required RID to exist.

If you have a drone with non-standard RID, and want to be compliant look at this video.  It shows an RID module that can disable transmission that the "Karen" apps can read and still be compliant with the FAA.

2023-10-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

OneSnark Posted at 10-31 07:15

Hi, OneSnark. You are most welcome. We understand your preferences, as long as you intend to follow your local laws and regulations. We appreciate your great support.
2023-10-31
Use props
fans98f93eaf
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2023-10-30 20:17
Hi, OneSnark. Yes the Remote ID is on by default. According to the Remote ID rule, the Remote ID system cannot be disabled by any person, and once the drone is upgraded to RID-compliant firmware, it cannot be downgraded. Manufacturers are prohibited from providing users with any method or tool in any form that can disable Remote ID. A Remote-compliant aircraft will always broadcast its  RID when in use. But if you only wish to fly for recreational purposes, there are other DJI drones that you can use that weigh below 250g and do not have RID such as DJI Mini, DJI Mini 2, and DJI Mini 2 SE. Have a great day ahead.

DJI says yes you can downgrade
But find the older file . Must be done on a computer
The controller only upgrades  .
If you download an exchange, it’s a lot of trouble.
You won’t have a problem until something happens.

Remember DJI software has to approve it, or it won’t start doesn’t matter what battery you have in it if you exchange it and downgrade if you use. If you use before you fly and says you’re OK, DJ might refuse to start if you’re not in a (Fria)
park
1-3 10:39
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans98f93eaf Posted at 1-3 10:39
DJI says yes you can downgrade
But find the older file . Must be done on a computer
The controller only upgrades  .

Hi. You can downgrade the firmware using  DJI Assistant 2 if it's still available on the server. The firmware cannot be downgraded to a removed version. Any firmware that can be obtained from DJI Assistant 2 is available for usage. Have a nice day.
1-6 00:20
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

OneSnark Posted at 2023-10-31 07:15

I think if someone's drone were regularly flying over/around my home/property, albeit legally, I would want to find out who was flying it. We all have a desire for privacy and that includes all the folk who don't own a drone. I expect RID to evolve into an online look-up where authorities, and eventually the public, can trace drone movements in real time on a map and find out who the owners are.
  Meanwhile, the UK's regulator, the CAA, has stated that RID will be compulsory by 2026 on all camera drones (including those below 249g)…by forcing the retrofitting of an RID module if necessary. I assume that the CAA will be acting in concert with other national regulators.
   Manufacturers will comply by preventing take-off if RID isn't active (and if the pilot's ID hasn't been keyed in).
1-6 01:03
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-6 21:31
Use props
Fukfac-3rd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78283872 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you can disable the stupid remote id. You just can't let nobody know and you can't let no body know either.  Especially the Mini 4 because its going to cry.   To do this you need  a skiled technician. Take the cover off the mini pro.  Then the technician needs to located the RFID device. It's like a you'll know kinda like a square with a ribbon cable going to it. if you know what it looks like this should be relatively simple.  Then you can take some Tinfoil and carefully rap it around the antenna portion of the module.  Be sure not to put the tin foil directly on to the module. You'll need to probably tape up the module with electrical tape. Put one layer that over it. Then you can wrap the module with tinfoil over the electrical tape. So it doesn't shorten anything out and make sure. The tin foil doesn't touch any boards on that drone either.  Hey, I'm just being honest here. That's how you gonna do it. I know a lot of people try. I don't like that approach but you know what I ask question. Nobody's answering so there's your answer, buddy. I hope that helps you. It's pretty simple. It's it's risky because you can lose warranty if you don't know what you're doing and but it. It's very simple if you take your time and get somewhere that notice how to work on all electronics, you'll be fine.
4-6 00:30
Use props
Rkorell
lvl.2
Germany

OneSnark is asking:

Q1: Is remote ID enabled by default on the Mini 4?
ANSWER: NO it is NOT! DJI is prompting a wrong answer.
Mini 4 pro is a C0 class hobby drone WITHOUT RID.
( You CAN start a process (which currently works) to DEclassify from C0 and start another process (which currently DOESN‘T wok!) to re-classify to C1 -> THIS requires remote ID)

Q2: Can remote ID be disabled by the user if flying standard batteries?
ANSWER: NO - this information is stated correct - disabling required rID is forbidden by law.

Q3: Will putting in heavier PLUS batteries turn on Remote ID automatically?  (not sure if I would upgrade down the road)
ANSWER: NO. You will get an information on-screen on the RC which you can acknowledge by clicking on it.

Conclusion: If you buy a standard Mini 4 pro, all of your requirements are met.
You are not allowed (legally) to use the bigger batteries or the old ones from mini3 pro - because they are a little bit heavier as well.

Warm regards,
Ralf
4-6 07:25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules