2290 15 2023-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gherk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2727018 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is there a 120m flight limit in Aus? (I live in a hilly area, it would be a nightmare)

Also anyone know if you can fly a sub 250g within 5km of an airport as the front of the casa website suggests?

2023-11-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is there a 120m flight limit in Aus?
Perhaps you should read the CASA website a little more.
Yes there is a 120 metre (above ground limit) in Australia

(I live in a hilly area, it would be a nightmare)

Not particularly, it's fairly easy to estimate your drone's height above the ground.
2023-11-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can check the NFZ that the drone will enforce here - https://fly-safe.dji.com/home
2023-11-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@gherk you need to differentiate between the nature of the heights talked about when referring to drones. They are
a) the height normally seen on the screen device is the height relative to the take off point.
b) The height normally referred to in laws is the height of the drone above the ground directly beneath the drone, known as "AGL", or in some jurisdictions the distance to the closest ground.
c) The height above sea level, AMSL, this is infrequently of concern or mentioned and is only of concern if you are in/up high mountains.

All the recent discussions of EU heights relate to a) and this is new behaviour by law makers.
2023-11-1
Use props
gherk
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-1 03:51
Is there a 120m flight limit in Aus?
Perhaps you should read the CASA website a little more.
Yes there is a 120 metre (above ground limit) in Australia

I'm talking a hardware limit on the mini 4, not a legal limit
2023-11-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

gherk Posted at 11-1 13:00
I'm talking a hardware limit on the mini 4, not a legal limit

Chances are, that if you buy the Mini 4 Pro it will come with the software limitation already installed...
2023-11-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Surely the 120m hard ceiling relative to the take off point is an EU restriction and NOT applicable outside the EU?
If correct then I am fairly sure DJI are capable of programming the firmware so that OUTSIDE the EU the old 500m hard ceiling is applied.
2023-11-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

gherk Posted at 11-1 13:00
I'm talking a hardware limit on the mini 4, not a legal limit

Your drone has a hardware limit of 500 metres and a user-configurable limit which has a default setting of 120 metres and can be set at any height up to 500 metres.
It does not have a hardware limit of 120 metres.

2023-11-1
Use props
simmoji
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
Australia

It's a bit more complicated than just < 250g being allowed within 5.5 km. Check page 16 of https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/de ... ide-interactive.pdf

The way I read it is, controlled aerodromes, yes, but not inside the grounds, on runways, takeoff/landing paths, taxiing areas. Note takeoff/landing paths continue beyond the 5.5 km zone to 7 km, and then to 8.5 km with a max height of 90m.

Non-controlled, helipads etc. I read it as no restrictions if no aircraft operating, but if so, then not within 5.5 km, flightpaths etc. Logically I read it as you can land on a runway or helipad if no aircraft are operating, but I can't imagine being the case.
2023-11-1
Use props
gherk
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

simmoji Posted at 11-1 16:14
It's a bit more com;licated than just < 250g being allowed within 5.5 km. Check page 16 of https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-08/part-101-micro-excluded-rpa-operations-plain-english-guide-interactive.pdf

The way I read it is, controlled aerodromes, yes, but not inside the grounds, on runways, takeoff/landing paths, taxiing areas. Note takeoff/landing paths continue beyond the 5.5 km zone to 7 km, and then to 8.5 km with a max height of 90m.

Thanks!  Yes I think the salient paragraph is this:

Micro RPA are permitted to be flown within
5.5 km (3 NM) of the movement area of a
controlled aerodrome provided they are:
› not operated over the movement area
› not operated over or in the departure or
approach path
› not operated inside the boundary of the
aerodrome
› not creating a collision hazard to other
aircraft taking off or landing.

Seeing as what I'm due to be photographing is on the flight path and within 5.5k I think I can safely say it's a no go
2023-11-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-1 14:17
Surely the 120m hard ceiling relative to the take off point is an EU restriction and NOT applicable outside the EU?
If correct then I am fairly sure DJI are capable of programming the firmware so that OUTSIDE the EU the old 500m hard ceiling is applied.

They already have...

The software does and will change your fly altitude limit based on your country restrictions.. It doesn't even have to be 120 metres. It could be less or more... DJI has full control on where and how you fly...

When they can't control or check on you, like when you are logged out, the 50 metres limitation applies.

And regarding the EU restriction here is Australia, I have noticed that often but not always, what does happen in Pommyland, it somehow finds his way here as well... It is a sad state of affair... We try to look like the US, but then we really follow what the UK does... I guess that's the way it goes with most colonies...
2023-11-1
Use props
simmoji
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 11-1 20:02
They already have...

The software does and will change your fly altitude limit based on your country restrictions.. It doesn't even have to be 120 metres. It could be less or more... DJI has full control on where and how you fly...

I've seen nothing about the 120 m limitation happening in the UK - have you?  Only EU.

And nicely, the UK doesn't simp to the EU.

2023-11-1
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

The drone laws are so complicated in the EU, I don't think anyone understands them.

But ultimately, the 120m hard limit above takeoff point is a DJI thing. Autel is 800m.

As long as Australia is not using miles per gallon, we shall be fine.
2023-11-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

simmoji Posted at 11-1 21:09
I've seen nothing about the 120 m limitation happening in the UK - have you?  Only EU.

And nicely, the UK doesn't simp to the EU.

Not yet, and hopefully the UK will take a different approach to the issue..
2023-11-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Zoooom Posted at 11-1 21:29
The drone laws are so complicated in the EU, I don't think anyone understands them.

But ultimately, the 120m hard limit above takeoff point is a DJI thing. Autel is 800m.

I don't think so... It is the law. If you want to sell a drone in Europe under a specific class, you need to follow the restrictions...

At least that's my understanding...

But you are 100% right on a disturbing and overly complicated they made it... Perhaps it will become just another licence and registration to pay annually (read new tax)...

Miles? Gallon? Feet? Yard? Stone? Why stop there... Elbow = 1 1/2 foot, Rock = 2 stones...

Thanks, God, for the French...

Here is a little gem from the US...

2023-11-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, gherk. Thank you for reaching out. The 120m altitude limitation is applicable in the EU region only. For specific limitations in your area, we suggest contacting the local aviation authorities or https://www.casa.gov.au/ for confirmation. You may also check https://fly-safe.dji.com/home. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules