ND Filter Question
701 5 2023-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tech-Retard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 344 ft
United States

Are there ND filters being made for the newer OSMO 3?

I ask, not because I actually own or plan to buy an OSMO 3 but, it's because I'm wondering if there are actually any ND filters that are made for these new DJI cameras.

I own a cheap off-brand action camera that no matter what adjustments I make to it I'm still getting video recordings that are far too bright for my liking.  I can fix most of it in post editing but it would be nice if I could just use an ND filter to tone it down a bit instead, and from the looks of it, the lens dimensions of the OSMO 3 look to be close enough to the actual glass lens dimensions of my off-brand action camera.

I'm wanting to find an action camera or vloging camera with a lens size close to the size of the outside dimensions of the circular lens housing that protrudes from the face of my older AKASO Brave 4 action camera.  If I can buy an ND filter of the approximate size or just close enough, I can then use my CAD software to model and 3D print an adapter to fit the ND filter onto my action camera.

The outside diameter of the lens housing that protrudes from the front of my action camera measures 24mm.  The actual glass lens diameter in the middle measures 14mm.  If I can find an ND filter with similar diameter dimensions I can just make an adapter to use to mount it to my action camera.

It doesn't have to be those exact dimensions.  It can even be a little bit bigger.  I just want to try using an ND filter to tone down the images I'm getting out of this particular action camera.  The video recordings are great otherwise.  It's just that I've grown weary of all the editing to get them to where I want them.

Can anyone here suggest an ND filter in 32 or 64 with close enough dimensions of any of the DJI camera offerings? If you can it would be a big help for me.

akaso.jpg
2023-11-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you looked on Aliexpress.   There's thousands of ND filters over there.
2023-11-2
Use props
Tech-Retard
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-2 01:10
Have you looked on Aliexpress.   There's thousands of ND filters over there.

Yes I have looked there and on the Temu site.  They do have many different ND filter types for various cameras.

I've contacted sellers at both sites asking if they could tell me the dimensions of their ND filters.

The ones that look to be the closes in the photos in the item descriptions have all turned out to be either too big or too small.

If it's too big I could still model an Adapter in my CAD software and 3D print it but a larger ND filter lens would block the little front screen on my action camera.

If it's too small I'm afraid that it would create a sort of vignetting effect in the shots.  Eventually I'll come across the right ND filter to be able to adapt it to my action camera.

Thanks for taking the time to offer up a suggestions.  It was a good idea.
2023-11-2
Use props
Tech-Retard
lvl.2
United States

I found what I was looking for on Amazon.  A set of 4 ND filters made to fit the older GoPro 3 and 4.
It turns out that the inside diameters of those particular ND filters are the same as the outside diameters of the lens protrusion on my El-Cheapo action camera.
The action camera I'm using shoots nice video and is really reliable, it's just that the videos were coming out a bit on the bright side.
This 12-dollar set of ND filters should be just the ticket to compliment this equally inexpensive action camera.
Many thanks to DAFlys for taking the time to reply.
2023-11-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you manage to find some?
3-15 06:54
Use props
Tech-Retard
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-15 06:54
Did you manage to find some?

Yes I did.  Thanks for asking and sorry it took so long to reply.
4-24 19:03
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules