How I fixed RC Red blinking, beeping light of death
996 3 2015-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
precisionair
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1594 ft
United States

Hey I1 folks, wanted to reach out to you and share my experience with my attempt at updating my RC firmware and having it fail on me.  Just a little background, I have never upgraded the firmware on my craft or RC, ever.  It has always worked flawlessly and I never saw a reason to.  With the new app and the many new features coming out I decided to take the plunge and jump all the way up too 1.3.  Bypassing 5-6 updates I downloaded the bin file and loaded on to a freshly formatted USB flash drive.  Plugging the drive into my RC it took the file and started the update process quickly.  I was encouraged by this but grew increasingly nervous throughout the update.  5 minutes in my fears were realized when it stopped updating with no green light and no successful beep pattern.  Upon loading the flash drive back into my computer the .txt file read failure and I knew I had just bricked my RC.  Turning it on it made the worst sound imaginable and flashed red very angerly! Panic set in and I had to find a way to fix it.  Try as I might though, every remedy I found on these forums or youtube was either very vague or sadly didnt work for me.  Before attempting DJI service (that I have heard so much about) I knew I could fix this thing.  Turning from the RC to the craft the update went through without a problem and I knew I had a good bin file.  So, looking at my available options I decided to plug the RC into my ipad and see what it said.  Again I was met by a constant angry beeping and red light but I let it go on.  The Ipad read back hardware failure, contact support.  No thanks... But alas, there was also a new option.  Where before my firmware was too old to download and install via the app, this time, because I had attempted an update and fooled the ipad into not know what version I had, it allowed me to download the firmware and install via app!  20 seconds later I had a new firmware downloaded through my Ipad and I hit install.  Nothing.... I backed out of the app, came back in, re-downloaded the firmware again, and hit install.  This time it paused... the angry red light turned blue, and the beeping stopped!  10 minutes later I had a happy green light and a success screen on my ipad!  I know this was long winded but I say all of this to give those of you hope that you can fix your problems and there is a way around that scary red, obnoxious beeping light!  Dont be scared to let it beep at you and act like it is broken.  With the new download feature I was able to get around this issue and now I have two happy RC's and a happy craft!

Brad
2015-9-6
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Pleased to read that it eventually worked for you.  You showed good character in persevering and trying other ways to get your update accepted.  Nice work.

Happy flying.....  Until then next update !!!!
2015-9-7
Use props
virtualbctours
lvl.1

Canada

I am glad you fix it. Mine is doing the same horrible noise, and my next option is to use a hammer.
Which one do you recommend: a concrete hammer or a nail hammer?
2015-9-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Good to hear it worked for you Brad.
2015-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules