A Close Encounter
562 7 2023-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jack Hart
lvl.2
United States

They appeard magically and in a minute they were gone.  Unlike gulls and hawks they had no interest in attacking the drone.  The buzzards were apparently all riding the last thermal to get enough altitude to glide to nightime roost.

2023-11-12
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

That's a lot of buzzards!
Good to see they were not agressive.
Last week I did find myself among a lot of crows. From what I have read here, they are prone to attacking drones, I have seen them before fighting buzzards mid-air. But they didn't give me any trouble, they appeard to be fleeing from my M3P. It does make interesting footage flying among birds, though I usually avoid them if I can.
2023-11-12
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

When I had gliding lessons the instructors talked about how buzzards would often hang around the gliders in thermals as though they enjoyed the company. Perhaps that’s why they’re not interested in attacking the drone. The instructors also said that they were more than envious as the amount of control the buzzards ha over their wings when soaring.
2023-11-12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amazing to see. It's always a bit alarming to be surrounded by birds. Mostly pigeons and jackdaws around here. The pigeons just circle round silently, but the jackdaws are more aggressive and make a racket.
2023-11-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful to see.   
2023-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely filmed.  Looks like the birds were just a bit inquisitive.  
2023-11-13
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

Very cool. Often, when I'm out mapping in rural areas with my Matrice 30 our local turkey vultures will spot it from miles away and drift over and fly in lazy circles with it - almost like it's another bird. Never had more than 10 at one time though.

I flew over around 300 geese on a couple of ponds at around 200 feet. I worried I would upset them and was ready to abort the mapping mission, but it didn't bother them at all going back and forth over them.
2023-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, nice footage.
2023-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now