Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My first build: Rekon 7 fpv drone - DJI O3
12Next >
2646 57 2023-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks to troncat fpv I finally screwed up the courage to build a drone on my own.

I used a different receiver (ELRS) and antennas for the receiver. Here's the setup:

Rekon 7 Frame
FC - T-Motor Velox Cine F7 HD
ESC - T-Motor Velox V50A 32Bit 50A
Motors - T-Motor Velox V2808 1500kv
DJI O3 Air Unit
Radiomaster RP3 V2 ELRS
iFlight 200mm antennas
HQ Prop 7x4.5x2 Bi-Blade Props
GPS - HGLRC M80 Pro (25x25)
Beeper - VIFLY Finder V2
HGLRC LHCP Hammer Long Range Antennas

Took me around 10 hours, maybe 6 for the build and setup and the rest for troubleshooting. As you can see at the end: If flies smooooothly.

Music: Aggressive Electro Cyberpunk | Hidden by Alex-Productions |

Music promoted by http://onsound.eu/

2023-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93526483 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You make that look easy Depp.  
2023-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent build out Depp.    Even better was that it flew really well.  
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 06:31
You make that look easy Depp.

Haha, yes. The first part, the building of the frame, took 22 minutes (sped up 50x or so).
The soldering part was harder (I suck at soldering).
The software sets up was okay, took some time.
The trouble shooting was worst: Took me lots of time to find out that the newest version of Betaflight (sort of the firmware of the flight controller, you can see it at .58) has a bug so you can't change the direction of the motors. As you don't know which of the three cables goes where you'd have to trial and error this (two motors went the wrong direction). So down grade to the older version.
Next problem was that the receiver wouldn't bind to the controller, only when connected to the computer first (I actually used my laptop in the field to get it to fly). Took some help of another forum to figure out that I have to solder the receiver to a different UART (sort of a port on the flight controller).
After that it worked like a charm. Gladly I could hold back my temper and didn't throw it out the window.
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-13 06:58
Excellent build out Depp.    Even better was that it flew really well.

Thank you, Downtown. I just went into more detail with DA about the problems.
2023-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6180449 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well worth the effort you put in, by the looks of it. Well done!  
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 11-13 07:17

Thank you.
Yes, it flies pretty well. And can carry big batteries so flight time and efficiency will be good - at least that's what people say.
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 11-13 07:17

My current best of fpv line up: lineup.jpg

4 inch, 5 and 7...
2023-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 11-13 07:25
Thank you.
Yes, it flies pretty well. And can carry big batteries so flight time and efficiency will be good - at least that's what people say.

I guess you'll be putting it through its paces now that you've done the shake-down and ironed out the bugs
2023-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 11-13 07:29
My current best of fpv line up:[view_image]

4 inch, 5 and 7...

Looks like a family of growing kids
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 11-13 07:32
I guess you'll be putting it through its paces now that you've done the shake-down and ironed out the bugs

I'll give my very best.
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 11-13 07:34
Looks like a family of growing kids

Yes, it does. The 4" is so cute in comparison.
2023-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 11-13 07:39
I'll give my very best.

2023-11-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 11-13 07:40
Yes, it does. The 4" is so cute in comparison.

2023-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 11-13 07:03
Thank you, Downtown. I just went into more detail with DA about the problems.

You're very welcome.  No doubt with a build like that you had issues to face but with patience and perseverance it came out successful.  
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-13 09:11
You're very welcome.  No doubt with a build like that you had issues to face but with patience and perseverance it came out successful.

Yes. And I did have a bit of practice with swapping out motors, frame parts, a Vista and antennas as well as trying to find my way around Betaflight.
2023-11-13
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

Depp Posted at 11-13 07:29
My current best of fpv line up:[view_image]

4 inch, 5 and 7...

Very nice! what VR googles were you using? I want to get a FPV, but dji's is getting old, and the new one when it comes out will probably be more spendy. how much did you pay for you new FPV total? with the RC and googles? I've looked at  the website racedayquads, but it just leaves me in the deep end, and I Can't see to find anybody who knows about this kind of thing
2023-11-13
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-13 11:20
Very nice! what VR googles were you using? I want to get a FPV, but dji's is getting old, and the new one when it comes out will probably be more spendy. how much did you pay for you new FPV total? with the RC and googles? I've looked at  the website racedayquads, but it just leaves me in the deep end, and I Can't see to find anybody who knows about this kind of thing

My best info is Joshua Bardwell on YT. He has a fairly new build video for DJI O3, HD zero and walksnail, which are the three digital systems. You can buy the whole build kit and have to get goggles and controller separately.  If you're going for a 5 inch freestyle quad and like to build and solder (!) it's probably a good place to start.
My 7 inch quad cost around 700  - 750 euros and you'd need goggles and receiver and batteries as well.
For a cheap but good receiver I suggest the standard of ExpressLRS and a Radiomaster Zorro (around 140) or Boxer (same).
For goggles: If you want to go really cheap and use analog (I once had a ready to fly beginner set with analog and hated it but that was probably bad quality anyway). Goggles are from below 100 up to 600 (though I think it's the worst idea to spend a lot on analog goggles). You might want to go for either the DJI Integra (500) or a used Goggle V2.
I got my Goggles V2 in a kit with the DJI fpv drone (which was good for learning but I don't like it) and the Goggles 2 with a used Avata (love/hate relationship, don't fly it much) - they are getting cheap.
If you're not too worried about money but don't want to through it out the window I think there are two good ways:
Easier/more expensive: Get an Avata Kit with Goggles 2 or Integra and once you're good at flying manual get an ExpressLRS controller and a bind and fly quad like the Nazgul Evoque 5 inch with DJI O3.
Less expensive, harder start: (used) Goggles V2 or 2, ELRS controller, BNF quad like the Evoque (1000 to 1200 if you're lucky for everything plus batteries and charger). Before you go that route: get a simulator like Velocidrone (20 bucks) and the controller and practice. If you don't you'll crash and have an even harder time to learn.
Hope this helps. I don't regret anything.
I wouldn't wait for new gear: DJI cranks them out fast but the goggles v2 still work very well (and if you're wearing glasses you might even wear them below the goggles).

2023-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 11-13 10:10
Yes. And I did have a bit of practice with swapping out motors, frame parts, a Vista and antennas as well as trying to find my way around Betaflight.

That's what makes a home build a challenge but also rewarding.  
2023-11-14
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-13 22:44
My best info is Joshua Bardwell on YT. He has a fairly new build video for DJI O3, HD zero and walksnail, which are the three digital systems. You can buy the whole build kit and have to get goggles and controller separately.  If you're going for a 5 inch freestyle quad and like to build and solder (!) it's probably a good place to start.
My 7 inch quad cost around 700  - 750 euros and you'd need goggles and receiver and batteries as well.
For a cheap but good receiver I suggest the standard of ExpressLRS and a Radiomaster Zorro (around 140) or Boxer (same).

Can the dji's googles, (v2, integra, 2) be paired to other systems besides dji 03? Is it cheaper to get a PNP or a BNF?
2023-11-14
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-13 22:44
My best info is Joshua Bardwell on YT. He has a fairly new build video for DJI O3, HD zero and walksnail, which are the three digital systems. You can buy the whole build kit and have to get goggles and controller separately.  If you're going for a 5 inch freestyle quad and like to build and solder (!) it's probably a good place to start.

thanks a ton for the info. I think I'll get the googles integra because they are cheaper, but where to you suggest I find all the parts for a BNF?
2023-11-14
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-14 09:19
Can the dji's googles, (v2, integra, 2) be paired to other systems besides dji 03? Is it cheaper to get a PNP or a BNF?

As far as I know the G2, Gv2 and Integra can bind to: Avata, DJI fpv, O3, Vista, Original Air Unit, Runcam Link. It depends on the firmware.
It's pretty much the same price, building and getting a BNF. Pros of building: fun (more or less), getting experience for repairing after crashes, getting exactly what you want.
Pros of BNF: you know that it'll work and if it doesn't the manufacturer should have your back.
#2:
Some (JB and Madstech, I think) recommend the Integra. A BNF you just buy as a whole drone, no parts (unless you mean spare parts). Maybe watch a review of JB or others maybe for the Nazgul Evoque and use their affiliate links. I don't know if the prices vary much in tue US and I don't understand your VAT-system...
If you want to start out building one then either get the JB set (and you'll know you have all the right parts) or use that tutorial you like and buy exactly the same parts. Usually they provide links. Before you buy: check if all parts are available.
If I went for a build your own 5 inch I'd get the JB one because the videos are top and the parts will be alright and also you get them as one set - much less hassle.
VBut watch the build videos first to see if you really want to do it/can do it.
2023-11-14
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-14 09:27
As far as I know the G2, Gv2 and Integra can bind to: Avata, DJI fpv, O3, Vista, Original Air Unit, Runcam Link. It depends on the firmware.
It's pretty much the same price, building and getting a BNF. Pros of building: fun (more or less), getting experience for repairing after crashes, getting exactly what you want.
Pros of BNF: you know that it'll work and if it doesn't the manufacturer should have your back.

ok. when you said BNF the second and third time, did you mean PNP, plug and play?
2023-11-14
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-14 09:30
ok. when you said BNF the second and third time, did you mean PNP, plug and play?

BNF means Bind and Fly. In reality it means you have to bind the quad to your receiver (harder than with DJI but you get there) and go into Betaflight and configure the controller to the quad. If all goes well it takes maybe 20 minutes and is a one time job.
PNP seems to be used for quads that use the DJI O3 or Vista both as the video link and the control link. That makes setting up easier (though you still have to go into Betaflight) but some say that you tend to lose video signal and the control link at the same time (which is not good). My first two "real" fpv drones were PNP but then I decided to use ExpressLRS. You then have a choice of many controllers.
A BNF is simply a drone that is ready to fly after a bit of configuration and is used in contrast to getting all the parts yourself and build it.
2023-11-14
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-14 10:11
BNF means Bind and Fly. In reality it means you have to bind the quad to your receiver (harder than with DJI but you get there) and go into Betaflight and configure the controller to the quad. If all goes well it takes maybe 20 minutes and is a one time job.
PNP seems to be used for quads that use the DJI O3 or Vista both as the video link and the control link. That makes setting up easier (though you still have to go into Betaflight) but some say that you tend to lose video signal and the control link at the same time (which is not good). My first two "real" fpv drones were PNP but then I decided to use ExpressLRS. You then have a choice of many controllers.
A BNF is simply a drone that is ready to fly after a bit of configuration and is used in contrast to getting all the parts yourself and build it.

Ok thanks slot for the info. I'll look around and see what I find. Where did you find all of your parts, remote and others?
2023-11-14
Use props
sky wombat
Captain
Flight distance : 1423911 ft
  • >>>
Australia

More patience than I have Depp but end result certainly paid off.
2023-11-14
Use props
BetterBizTech
Captain
Flight distance : 3235594 ft
United States

Looks like a fine build and flight.
2023-11-14
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-14 11:18
Ok thanks slot for the info. I'll look around and see what I find. Where did you find all of your parts, remote and others?

The drones I mostly bought from the manufacturer, the RC as well. Otherwise I try to buy as much in Europe because of shipping times/price/import tariffs/better customer laws. But I did buy from Banggood and Aliexpress etc. as well. If you build you have to get lots of parts and you normally don't find them in one shop. Shouldn't be too hard for you in the US as there are lots of stores (Racdayquads, Getfpv, Rotorriot...) but their shipping fees to Europe are a joke (like 80 bucks...).
2023-11-14
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

sky wombat Posted at 11-14 14:12
More patience than I have Depp but end result certainly paid off.

It certainly was a struggle at times but you're right: it paid off - hope it holds up for some time...
2023-11-14
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

BetterBizTech Posted at 11-14 18:28
Looks like a fin build and flight.

Thank you, I hope so.
2023-11-14
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-14 11:18

You may find this video (series) interesting:

2023-11-15
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-14 22:25
The drones I mostly bought from the manufacturer, the RC as well. Otherwise I try to buy as much in Europe because of shipping times/price/import tariffs/better customer laws. But I did buy from Banggood and Aliexpress etc. as well. If you build you have to get lots of parts and you normally don't find them in one shop. Shouldn't be too hard for you in the US as there are lots of stores (Racdayquads, Getfpv, Rotorriot...) but their shipping fees to Europe are a joke (like 80 bucks...).

I was thinking about buying the Googles integra right now, even if i don't get an fpv because they're on a 14% off sale and i might as well buy them while their cheep
2023-11-15
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-15 05:58
https://youtu.be/SpuXqNakP2A?si=s4Rg02VVoDPd6aTL

Thanks I will take a look when i get time
2023-11-15
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-15 08:06
I was thinking about buying the Googles integra right now, even if i don't get an fpv because they're on a 14% off sale and i might as well buy them while their cheep

Yes, might be a good idea. If you want to learn the easy way and there's a nice discount you might get an Avata set and later sell the drone and the Controller 2.
2023-11-15
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-15 10:31
Yes, might be a good idea. If you want to learn the easy way and there's a nice discount you might get an Avata set and later sell the drone and the Controller 2.

I don’t really want to do that just because of the hassle. With the googles at least i can get used to flying with them if I use them and the MC2 with my mini 3pro
2023-11-15
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-15 05:58
https://youtu.be/SpuXqNakP2A?si=s4Rg02VVoDPd6aTL

thanks a lot for the video. JB really does a great job. Looking forward to part 3!
2023-11-15
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-15 16:38
thanks a lot for the video. JB really does a great job. Looking forward to part 3!

!
2023-11-15
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Not to bug you anymore, but went off the deep end and ran into some stuff I had no jdea about.  I've watched quite a few of JB's videos, but I couldn't find out a few things. I'm super confused the compatibility of the O3 unit. I can't figure out with what radios it can be connected to. Can it be connected to the radiomaster boxer? Also, what BND quad would you recommend? Thanks a ton for the help
2023-11-17
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Potato mini Posted at 11-17 15:12
Not to bug you anymore, but went off the deep end and ran into some stuff I had no jdea about.  I've watched quite a few of JB's videos, but I couldn't find out a few things. I'm super confused the compatibility of the O3 unit. I can't figure out with what radios it can be connected to. Can it be connected to the radiomaster boxer? Also, what BND quad would you recommend? Thanks a ton for the help

No problem.
The O3 binds to the grey DJI controller 2 only. Then you only need the O3 and you're done.
Most "seasoned" fpv pilots use other radios like the Radiomasters. This has a few advantages: maybe price but more important: (1) a much wider variety to choose from fitting your hands and your style (2) you're not hooked to DJIs whims when it comes to compatibility (e.g. the black controller for the original Air Unit/Caddx vista is no longer supported on the O3). (3) you can choose from different protocols (old: FrSky; good but getting older "Apple-style" Crossfire, Ghost (no idea about that one) and up and coming ExpressLRS). (4) and maybe most important: A control link that is independent of the video link so if you lose video you can still control the quad to maybe push it up to get video back. Also Crossfire and ELRS are supposed to go further than DJI.
So if you don't want to use the grey DJI controller then you have to get a different controller and an additional receiver. Those are between 10 and 30 bucks. It's a bit harder to set up but if you let JB walk you through it it's okay.
If I were you I'd get a Radiomaster Zorro or Boxer with build-in ELRS and an iFlight Nazgul Evoque 5" O3 version with an ELRS receiver (you can choose that on the iFlight site) 2.4 GHz and the Goggles 2 or Integra.
If you want to start smaller I really like the Flywoo Explorer 4 LR which you can configure with the O3 and ELRS.
If you want to be a bit less future proof but a bit easier in set up get the grey DJI controller 2 and those same quads as "PNP" (then they don't have the additional ELRS controller and just bind to the DJI one).

2023-11-17
Use props
Potato mini
First Officer
United States

Depp Posted at 11-17 22:05
No problem.
The O3 binds to the grey DJI controller 2 only. Then you only need the O3 and you're done.
Most "seasoned" fpv pilots use other radios like the Radiomasters. This has a few advantages: maybe price but more important: (1) a much wider variety to choose from fitting your hands and your style (2) you're not hooked to DJIs whims when it comes to compatibility (e.g. the black controller for the original Air Unit/Caddx vista is no longer supported on the O3). (3) you can choose from different protocols (old: FrSky; good but getting older "Apple-style" Crossfire, Ghost (no idea about that one) and up and coming ExpressLRS). (4) and maybe most important: A control link that is independent of the video link so if you lose video you can still control the quad to maybe push it up to get video back. Also Crossfire and ELRS are supposed to go further than DJI.

Thanks! That makes much more since. I would buy the DJI's fpv remote controller 2, but it's like 300 bucks, whereas the boxer is $130 I think. I'm going to get the Integra goggles.because they are on a sale, but not sure on the drone. I think I'm going to use the dji system, but I guess if I'm using DJI's goggles I have to use the O3 unit anyways
2023-11-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules