10674 129 2023-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1080728 ft
Netherlands

Hi all,

Quite a few times, when powering up my Pocket 3, it doesn't start up properly. As you can see in the picture below, it ends in some sort of gimbal protection state.
A press on the button continues the start up properly, but it all does take a few seconds. It seems to happen irregularly as well. One day it doesn't happen once, the other half of the time.
Any chance this can be fixed with a software update? Or does anyone have a different solution?

FullSizeRender.jpeg
2023-11-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'd be concerned that this is some kind of hardware problem - kind of stiff gimbal - that the system is reacting to.  Possibly a return will be required, but see what others think.
2023-11-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The DJI device enters “Gimbal protected” state due to external force. Please confirm how often you experience this message. Does it appear every time you use the unit? Try the following:

1. Click the camera view screen. Then, the gimbal will automatically return to its normal working state.
2. Power off the gimbal and check whether there is a foreign object (such as sand or a stone) between the axis arms. If there is, clean them and restart the gimbal.

Please let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.
2023-11-14
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-14 21:21
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The DJI device enters “Gimbal protected” state due to external force. Please confirm how often you experience this message. Does it appear every time you use the unit? Try the following:

1. Click the camera view screen. Then, the gimbal will automatically return to its normal working state.

Hi Paladin,

This happens every once in a while. Like I said earlier, it happens irregularly. If I use the camera throughout the day, it happens about 3-4 times. Absolutely no external forces are applied.

1. When I click the screen, it returns to normal working state immediately. No issues then.
2. My Pocket has barely left the house so far and is being treated like a baby, so I can’t imagine having debris or sand stuck somewhere already.

The only thing I can see is when sometimes powering up the device, the pan motor seems a little bit sticky. It then bounces a little when going into position. But also not always.
Please tell me; can this behavior be expected sometimes? Or is it a faulty unit?
2023-11-15
Use props
DevonDine
lvl.1
Taiwan

I'm experiencing the exact same problem too!
2023-11-15
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sticky gimbal. If it were me I'd be requesting a replacement........
2023-11-16
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

I’d really like to hear from DJI about this. Seems like I’m not the only one with this issue. Already contacted my local store where I bought it from.
It seems to happen every time it has been powered off for a longer period of time. A little shake kickstarts it sometimes, which to me indeed seems like a sticky gimbal or a lock that doesn’t disengage properly.
2023-11-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Marc_v_L Posted at 11-16 01:48
I’d really like to hear from DJI about this. Seems like I’m not the only one with this issue. Already contacted my local store where I bought it from.
It seems to happen every time it has been powered off for a longer period of time. A little shake kickstarts it sometimes, which to me indeed seems like a sticky gimbal or a lock that doesn’t disengage properly.

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. If the issue happens next time, would you please memorize the time and the date when the issue occurred, and then export the camera logs for us?
2023-11-16
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-16 04:42
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. If the issue happens next time, would you please memorize the time and the date when the issue occurred, and then export the camera logs for us?

I’m about to get it replaced by a new one through my local store, but I’d like to help you with this.

How do I get a log file of the Pocket?
2023-11-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Marc_v_L Posted at 11-16 04:44
I’m about to get it replaced by a new one through my local store, but I’d like to help you with this.

How do I get a log file of the Pocket?

Thank you in advance. You can follow the steps:
1. To export the logs, follow these steps: Swipe down from the top of the screen, select "Settings," then choose "Device Info," and finally tap on "Export Log".
2. When the device is connected to a computer, open "My Computer" and access the microSD card drive (with the corresponding drive letter). From there, navigate to the "logs" folder to locate the log files.
2023-11-16
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-16 05:09
1. To export the logs, follow these steps: Swipe down from the top of the screen, select "Settings," then choose "Device Info," and finally tap on "Export Log".
2. When the device is connected to a computer, open "My Computer" and access the microSD card drive (with the corresponding drive letter). From there, navigate to the "logs" folder to locate the log files.

I am currently uploading the logs to Google Drive so you can view them.
It's a big file (~1.5GB) so it might take a while here.

Is there any way I can check the log file?
EDIT:
Here are the logs that I have found on the SD card.
The last time the gimbal went into protection mode is today (16 november 2023) at 15:00 (UTC+1)
https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... KbHg?usp=share_link

2023-11-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Marc_v_L Posted at 11-16 06:16
I am currently uploading the logs to Google Drive so you can view them.
It's a big file (~1.5GB) so it might take a while here.

Thank you so much. We have downloaded the files and forwarded them to our engineers.
2023-11-16
Use props
djiuser_NNNMWURWoTve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3698819 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-14 21:21

Having the same problem nearly every time I turn on the device. Device asked to re-centred the gimbal however that fails often fails with the gimbal shaking.

Have checked for foreign bodies etc, the gimbal is clean and has free movement otherwise.
2023-11-17
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

djiuser_NNNMWURWoTve Posted at 11-17 14:23
Having the same problem nearly every time I turn on the device. Device asked to re-centred the gimbal however that fails often fails with the gimbal shaking.

Have checked for foreign bodies etc, the gimbal is clean and has free movement otherwise.

That doesn’t sound good either. At least mine always starts up normally once the button is pressed. And mine only does this when it’s not been used for an hour or so. I really hope this can be solved by firmware, as it only seems that it can’t free itself from the magnetic brake the first time.
2023-11-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_NNNMWURWoTve Posted at 11-17 14:23
Having the same problem nearly every time I turn on the device. Device asked to re-centred the gimbal however that fails often fails with the gimbal shaking.

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we confirm:
1. Whether you turn on and off the device multiple times consecutively?
2. How about environmental temperature when using the device?
3. Whether there are some objects in the gimbal?
2023-11-18
Use props
djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw
lvl.1
United States

Hello DJI Support Team, I am having the exact same issue.

I have purchased pocket 3 Creator combo 10 days ago and what I have noticed is that upon starting the camera, camera gets stuck vertical and doesn't come back to horizonal normal positions as what it is set to go per the settings.

Now the same way, it doesn't go back and close completely when I shut down the camera.

I have noticed that always happens when I start camera after a long time let say after 1 day or so.

I have tried recalibration a few times already. But it doesn't fix the problem completely. I have already updated firmware when I registered the product.

Please advise if I should return the product and get a new one? It's a brand new one and I didn't expect such issues out of box. Keeping camera intact. Never experienced any damage or force at all.  

Please advise.
2023-11-18
Use props
djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-16 05:09

Hello DJI Support Team,

I have purchased pocket 3 Creator combo 10 days ago and what I have noticed is that upon starting the camera, camera gets stuck vertical and doesn't come back to horizonal normal positions as what it is set to go per the settings.

Now the same way, it doesn't go back and close completely when I shut down the camera.

I have noticed that always happens when I start camera after a long time let say after 1 day or so.

I have tried recalibration a few times already. But it doesn't fix the problem completely. I have already updated firmware when I registered the product.

Please advise if I should return the product and get a new one? It's a brand new one and I didn't expect such issues out of box.
2023-11-18
Use props
djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw
lvl.1
United States

Marc_v_L Posted at 11-18 00:14
That doesn’t sound good either. At least mine always starts up normally once the button is pressed. And mine only does this when it’s not been used for an hour or so. I really hope this can be solved by firmware, as it only seems that it can’t free itself from the magnetic brake the first time.

Did you get it replaced?
Let us know if you face similar issues with new one.
I am in CA, USA and New one shows arriving after Dec 5th. I hate to wait that long to get a new one.  What if I will have similar issues with new one?
I am going for long vacation and can't afford to go without the new one now.
2023-11-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw Posted at 11-18 16:19
Hello DJI Support Team,

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know if you control the camera with joysticks? The camera will not rotate whatever turning on or off, right?
2023-11-19
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw Posted at 11-18 16:41
Did you get it replaced?
Let us know if you face similar issues with new one.
I am in CA, USA and New one shows arriving after Dec 5th. I hate to wait that long to get a new one.  What if I will have similar issues with new one?

I send it back yesterday, the local store also agreed that it shouldn’t behave like this. The new one should show up somewhere this week, fingers crossed! I’ll let you know.

For anyone interested, I made a few videos of how my Pocket powers up. It’s always random. Some go very smooth, most have a bounce (as if released under tension) and almost always when it has been off for a while, it doesn’t start up properly at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cregzFCyMUQtumkNgWtlqxH0BaV2GVLv/view?usp=drivesdk

2023-11-19
Use props
fans77be6877
lvl.1
Flight distance : 371667 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine starts doing the same thing. Noticed that after the latest firmware updates. It might be a coincidence too. Once I press Recenter, it works. Only does it once in a while. So annoying. If I don’t press the recenter button, it gets funnier, as the camera gets blurry. Definitely an issue. Want to mention that , I never dropped it, used it only inside my house or office, so is completely clean. Looks like the magnet doesn’t work properly. Only a week old too
IMG_2502.png
2023-11-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I can't help commenting that this seems to be more frequently encountered than the screen rotating failure issue...  hopefully it will not be encountered on mine which I am picking up tomorrow!
2023-11-19
Use props
djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-19 01:17
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. May we know if you control the camera with joysticks? The camera will not rotate whatever turning on or off, right?

No. As per what others have reported, I am having the same problem of gimble not starting properly and giving error upon startup and shutdown.
I have returned the camera and now awaiting new one.
2023-11-19
Use props
djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw
lvl.1
United States

Marc_v_L Posted at 11-19 01:55
I send it back yesterday, the local store also agreed that it shouldn’t behave like this. The new one should show up somewhere this week, fingers crossed! I’ll let you know.

For anyone interested, I made a few videos of how my Pocket powers up. It’s always random. Some go very smooth, most have a bounce (as if released under tension) and almost always when it has been off for a while, it doesn’t start up properly at all.

Great good luck.
Thanks.
I also returned assuming it's hardware problem. Since I am planning vacation, I can't take chance.
Mine will likely get delivered in couple of weeks. So please keep all of us updated once you receive it and try it out.
Hope it's not the issue with new one as well.  Seems like only few people having the issue that means it's hardware and not software issue if I have to guess. Best approach is to return it if one can. Initially I thought it's probably calibration issue but it seems like it's not as I have calibrated multiple times but issue still exist.

2023-11-19
Use props
djiuser_83fZdb9ww0cw
lvl.1
United States

fans77be6877 Posted at 11-19 03:22
Mine starts doing the same thing. Noticed that after the latest firmware updates. It might be a coincidence too. Once I press Recenter, it works. Only does it once in a while. So annoying. If I don’t press the recenter button, it gets funnier, as the camera gets blurry. Definitely an issue. Want to mention that , I never dropped it, used it only inside my house or office, so is completely clean. Looks like the magnet doesn’t work properly. Only a week old too[Image]

Ouch. Yes, that's classic issue. This will likely continue especially when you use the camera after a while. Meaning some.decent several hours of break between last start up. It's random but certainly issues if it doesn't start per the design. Lots of YouTubers have received free models but none have pointed out this issue that seems strange to me. I would assume at least one would have encountered similar issue with the device..
The only hope is new one we receive doesn't have this issue whether it's hardware or software. More likely it seems like a hardware and not software but I guess will wait for DJI to confirm based on our friend's log file sent to Dji engineering team to look into further.
Good luck with yours. I would suggest returning if you can.
2023-11-19
Use props
fans98c49fe4
lvl.2
Canada

Brand new out of box same issue.  First start seems problematic.  I also sometimes have it fail to completely lock back in its off position.  Like a motor sticking.  Once it gets past it seems to work fine.  Odd problem. I think this could be fixed in a software update.  
2023-11-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Same problem here.  I used it for about 10 minutes (after having gone through registration and FW update), then shot a 10 minute video, then put it back in its case for about an hour.  Then when I took it out of the case, I got the "recentre" error as soon as I tried to turn it on (using the power button).  I haven't got time to test further right now, but it's an annoying bug.  (Otherwise, it's superb!)
2023-11-20
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-16 19:14
Thank you so much. We have downloaded the files and forwarded them to our engineers.

Hi Wanda,

Thank you! Any response on what it could be? Is it hardware, or software related?
More people here start to get this issue unfortunately. I’ve also seen a Facebook post about it and some people on Reddit confirmed they have this issue.
2023-11-20
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I suspect that the gimbal is locked with some kind of little pin internally and I bet that the pin is not being withdrawn fast enough before the gimbal motors start up.  So the motors are trying to rotate the gimbal but the pin is getitng in the way for a fraction of a second.  If my analysis - or guess - is correct, it should be fixable with a FW update to change the timing of the motor startup by half a second or whatever.
2023-11-20
Use props
clause
lvl.2
Flight distance : 378783 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Hi, I also have this problem. It typically occurs when Pocket 3 has been turned off for an extended period (e.g., an hour or more). I am on firmware 0870. I do not recall seeing this problem with the earlier firmware version, so it may be related to the latest firmware, or is it a HW problem, and I need to return the P3
This is quite annoying, and I am worried it will negatively impact the gimbal in the long term.
2023-11-20
Use props
fans98c49fe4
lvl.2
Canada

I contacted support and gave them the link to this thread.  Hopefully we can get an answer.  I don’t  want to be replacing this thing over and over if it’s a simple FW glitch/fix.  I tried to get a video of the issue to share with them but alas I had powered it on and now it won’t do it again.  I’ll leave it for an hour or so and I’m sure it will fail again.
2023-11-20
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

fans98c49fe4 Posted at 11-20 11:56
I contacted support and gave them the link to this thread.  Hopefully we can get an answer.  I don’t  want to be replacing this thing over and over if it’s a simple FW glitch/fix.  I tried to get a video of the issue to share with them but alas I had powered it on and now it won’t do it again.  I’ll leave it for an hour or so and I’m sure it will fail again.

Thanks for contacting them! I’ve returned it once, don’t want to do it again. I really hope it can be fixed with software. Like someone said earlier, perhaps it’s just a timing issue with powering up and releasing the whole mechanism a few milliseconds too late.

I’ve made a video of turning my Pocket on a few times. The last one shows the issue. The others show the 'bounce' my gimbal always makes, as if released under tension.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... v/view?usp=drivesdk
2023-11-20
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Marc_v_L Posted at 11-20 12:00
Thanks for contacting them! I’ve returned it once, don’t want to do it again. I really hope it can be fixed with software. Like someone said earlier, perhaps it’s just a timing issue with powering up and releasing the whole mechanism a few milliseconds too late.

I’ve made a video of turning my Pocket on a few times. The last one shows the issue. The others show the 'bounce' my gimbal always makes, as if released under tension.

Haven’t read all the thread so forgive me if this has already been asked, have you tried calibration.?
2023-11-20
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-20 12:07
Haven’t read all the thread so forgive me if this has already been asked, have you tried calibration.?

No problem! Yes I’ve calibrated it quite a few times. Reset it to factory settings a few times. Others here have done the same.
Many of us have it happen after it’s been turned off for say an hour. After that initial protective state, it’ll start up properly every time until you leave it again for a while. Something happens in that first second that it doesn’t like.
2023-11-20
Use props
fans98c49fe4
lvl.2
Canada

Marc_v_L Posted at 11-20 12:00
Thanks for contacting them! I’ve returned it once, don’t want to do it again. I really hope it can be fixed with software. Like someone said earlier, perhaps it’s just a timing issue with powering up and releasing the whole mechanism a few milliseconds too late.

I’ve made a video of turning my Pocket on a few times. The last one shows the issue. The others show the 'bounce' my gimbal always makes, as if released under tension.

Interesting your gimbal arm that attaches direct to the top of the body is the one failing.  Mine is the upper one.  It fails to rotate out and allow the camera head to sit in normal position.   The camera comes out and points outward, but in portrait position until I press recentre.  
2023-11-20
Use props
Marc_v_L
lvl.3
Netherlands

fans98c49fe4 Posted at 11-20 12:19
Interesting your gimbal arm that attaches direct to the top of the body is the one failing.  Mine is the upper one.  It fails to rotate out and allow the camera head to sit in normal position.   The camera comes out and points outward, but in portrait position until I press recentre.

Oh, that’s a new one! Might be useful to have that on video. So far I’ve only seen the way my gimbal does it.
2023-11-20
Use props
fans98c49fe4
lvl.2
Canada

I’ll see how I can upload it
2023-11-20
Use props
fans98c49fe4
lvl.2
Canada

Ok. Seems they don’t want my logs but just want to exchange it.  It was a nightmare getting this one through the mail. I am wondering if I hold onto it or just get my money back.  What a shame.  I’d prefer they diagnose it and find out what’s happening.  
2023-11-20
Use props
fans98c49fe4
lvl.2
Canada

So in my travels in this forum I came across the firmware thread.  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=300341&extra=&page=4#comments

In it on post #50 the user says that after the new FW update it will freeze at times and the gimbal enters protection mode.  This happens when if it is powered on and you see the DJI logo, it indicates a cold start.  So this does appear to be a firmware bug.   DJI.  I have my logs now if you want to see them.  
2023-11-20
Use props
djiuser_Ol1DkztuhcUj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 545 ft
France

Pareil pour moi il se fige en position portrait, après achat et déballage à froid il ne le faisait pas.
Après mise à jour ça a commencé, il le fait uniquement a froid. Je précise que je parle bien de l’osmo pocket 3.
Je pense qu’il manque au démarrage de la puissance à froid pour libérer le cardan.
J’espère qu’une mise à jour réglera ce problème et pour l’instant je ne le changerai pas car je préfère ça au problème d’écran qui ne se fixe plus.
2023-11-20
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules