DJI Osmo Pocket 3 : The Truth! FULL UNSPONSORED REVIEW!
12Next >
5384 61 2023-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unsponsored review!
I purchase my own cameras for review. I do not reach out to manufacturers for review units, nor do I take units in for review in this way, so that I can remain impartial and am not influenced to create a biased review.
In the below video we take a close look at the new DJI Osmo Pocket 3, including my own thoughts on whether it deserves your hard earned money!

2023-11-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice review.   
2023-11-15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice review.  
2023-11-15
Use props
BlueBird7
lvl.3

Ireland

Excellent review it will particularly help firs time users and explains all new features. Great job.
2023-11-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great review you went through almost every aspect and explained it really well good luck.
2023-11-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I hardly dare watch it, but I will... The local camera dealer, five minutes drive away, is getting stock of the Pocket 3 kit next week, and the moths keep flying out of my wallet due to the heat in there.

[Edited to add that I have now watched it, even though it's 2.30AM here, and it's a well structured tour of the features and good and bad points.  For the first time when watching a review, it struck me that it would be pretty neat if the screen rotated like the gimbal so that it was horiontal at all times.  One for the Pocket 4 methinks.  ]

2023-11-15
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks all for your comments!!
2023-11-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's kind of depressing but the Pocket 3 YouTube video with the most views - 1M - is the one by "Unbox Therapy" which only skims the surface of the device and really tells viewers next to nothing about it, compared with the in depth coverage of Ifti's review (and many others with rather less than 1M views).  Strange place, YouTube.  After labouring mightily to create videos about various aspects of various DJI cameras on my own channel, the biggest audience there was actually 1 minute of footage from a security camera in the garden, during an earthquake...  oh well.

[Edited to confess that having just checked, the one I did about the five gimbal modes of the original Pocket, 4 years ago, does have slightly more views than the earthquake.   Well, that's made my day.  I must get around to changing the title of that video to mention DJI Pocket 3, thus getting a few more views.]

2023-11-16
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-16 03:48
It's kind of depressing but the Pocket 3 YouTube video with the most views - 1M - is the one by "Unbox Therapy" which only skims the surface of the device and really tells viewers next to nothing about it, compared with the in depth coverage of Ifti's review (and many others with rather less than 1M views).  Strange place, YouTube.  After labouring mightily to create videos about various aspects of various DJI cameras on my own channel, the biggest audience there was actually 1 minute of footage from a security camera in the garden, during an earthquake...  oh well.

[Edited to confess that having just checked, the one I did about the five gimbal modes of the original Pocket, 4 years ago, does have slightly more views than the earthquake.   Well, that's made my day.  I must get around to changing the title of that video to mention DJI Pocket 3, thus getting a few more views.]

Yeh it does kinda get deflating at times, especially when you put so much into a review video. But alas, my thinking is I am helping someone else make an informed decision about whether it would deserve their purchase or not, whereas for large YouTubers this is a business where their aim is to make money, and they know they are at the level where a simple 1 minute video showing the outside of a box would get them hundreds or thousands of views anyways, so less effort required!
2023-11-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-16 03:48
It's kind of depressing but the Pocket 3 YouTube video with the most views - 1M - is the one by "Unbox Therapy" which only skims the surface of the device and really tells viewers next to nothing about it, compared with the in depth coverage of Ifti's review (and many others with rather less than 1M views).  Strange place, YouTube.  After labouring mightily to create videos about various aspects of various DJI cameras on my own channel, the biggest audience there was actually 1 minute of footage from a security camera in the garden, during an earthquake...  oh well.

[Edited to confess that having just checked, the one I did about the five gimbal modes of the original Pocket, 4 years ago, does have slightly more views than the earthquake.   Well, that's made my day.  I must get around to changing the title of that video to mention DJI Pocket 3, thus getting a few more views.]

Yeah but thats because they have an enormous following, it’s like getting a name for getting up early in the morning , once you get the good name you can stay in bed all day ;+)…
2023-11-16
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-16 08:53
Yeah but thats because they have an enormous following, it’s like getting a name for getting up early in the morning , once you get the good name you can stay in bed all day ;+)…

Exactly this! lol
2023-11-17
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-15 12:26
Thanks all for your comments!!

Are you saying that everybody else on youtube are lying in their reviews?

I read your comments but I really don't get the title...
2023-11-17
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 11-17 01:07
Are you saying that everybody else on youtube are lying in their reviews?

I read your comments but I really don't get the title...

Not at all - however, a lot of reviews on YouTube can be quite biased. Some reviewers receive early access to items so that they can be tested and reviewed for publication on launch day - that's why you see all the big channels with their reviews ready as soon as the product is announced.

In some cases the manufacturer will provide a 'guide' with a list of features they want highlight in the video - pretty much dictating what they want. In other cases part of the terms state that the manufacturer is able to view the video before it is publicized - so they can 'check it over' and 'suggest' any changes before it goes public.....

I've worked with DJI before (not on a new product launch however) and they didn't do either with me TBH, so all good from DJI's side, but saying that, although some manufacturers will be happy for the reviewer to say whatever they want, many YouTubers will still only highlight the positive features - issues/bugs and any negative areas are often 'ignored' in order to create a positive review and help promote the item - that way the relationship with the manufacturer remains open, and the manufacturer will be more likely to provide early access to future products. It's all typical marketing stuff.

Aa a result its wise to take all the initial bunch of reviews with caution. I'm only a small timer anyways, but I prefer to purchase my own unit so that I am free to say whatever I want, with no pressure to provide accountability to anyone else. Of course if I'm offered a free unit I wouldn't say no - but I do explicitly stipulate that all thoughts will be my own, both positive and negative, and the manufacturer will only see the video when it goes public - not before. I've had times with other manufacturers where they do not agree - hence I politely thank them for their interest and decline. I'd rather not mis-inform people to forward myself - just doesn't sit right with me and goes against my morals.
2023-11-17
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-17 02:21
Not at all - however, a lot of reviews on YouTube can be quite biased. Some reviewers receive early access to items so that they can be tested and reviewed for publication on launch day - that's why you see all the big channels with their reviews ready as soon as the product is announced.

In some cases the manufacturer will provide a 'guide' with a list of features they want highlight in the video - pretty much dictating what they want. In other cases part of the terms state that the manufacturer is able to view the video before it is publicized - so they can 'check it over' and 'suggest' any changes before it goes public.....

Interesting...

"I've worked with DJI before"

When was that? What were you reviewing then?
2023-11-17
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 11-17 04:56
Interesting...

"I've worked with DJI before"

Oh that was many years ago - no exciting new release, just accessories etc from what I recall.
2023-11-17
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

I had the opposite view in my video where I actually think when there is enough light, the Pocket 2 is better than the Pocket 3.  
2023-11-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RayNY Posted at 11-17 07:20
I had the opposite view in my video where I actually think when there is enough light, the Pocket 2 is better than the Pocket 3.

It wouldn’t really make sense that the smaller sensor would be better in low light as the bigger sensor will let in much more light as well as night mode which is even better.
2023-11-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RayNY Posted at 11-17 07:20

I saw that video. Do you think it might also have something to do with a different depth of field?
2023-11-17
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-17 07:42
I saw that video. Do you think it might also have something to do with a different depth of field?

No because when I use my real cameras, my full frame Sonys, the background even at f1.2 have bokeh but not mushy like the Pocket 3.  At first, I had thought it might be that so I actually started making the video for my own comparison and not really to put on youtube.  

I was trying to decide if I was going to return it because as you can see in the side by side comparisons, the pocket 2 has more details even with subjects that are closer so that shouldn't be the case if it was just a depth of field problem.  My intention of putting out the video was to get DJI to fix whatever noise reduction/sharpening algos they are using to be more like the pocket 2.  I think this is the root cause of the problem.  And after the first firmware update, it is better and I can almost get the 3 to match the 2 in the daytime.

I have since played around with the settings, framerate, SS and I have gotten it to perform better but not sure if I will release another video yet.  I think DJI will soon release another firmware to fix the image issues.

2023-11-17
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 07:34
It wouldn’t really make sense that the smaller sensor would be better in low light as the bigger sensor will let in much more light as well as night mode which is even better.

Sensor is one thing, how the image is processed is another part of the camera that I think they screwed up.  Yes it is better in low light by a mile but I think their processing is geared towards and making a mess of details when there is enough light.
2023-11-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

RayNY Posted at 11-17 07:59
Sensor is one thing, how the image is processed is another part of the camera that I think they screwed up.  Yes it is better in low light by a mile but I think their processing is geared towards and making a mess of details when there is enough light.

Honestly I think it’s all subjective. I don’t think the P2 is better in good light, I think all cameras or most of them are good in good light. The 3 is excellent if you dont like the look you get then thats more you than the camera the tracking is 100% better than the 2 so if your vlogging or simply just tracking something I think the soft blurry background is pretty good  , you can’t expect to get the same results from a 2 grand F 1.2 lens on a 2.5 grand body . For me the footage in most cases is the best of all osmo cameras including the osmo raw. But thats only me and I bought it because I hoped and thought footage would be better and I’m happy with it. But I do hope it improves in time with updates.
2023-11-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RayNY Posted at 11-17 07:56
No because when I use my real cameras, my full frame Sonys, the background even at f1.2 have bokeh but not mushy like the Pocket 3.  At first, I had thought it might be that so I actually started making the video for my own comparison and not really to put on youtube.  

I was trying to decide if I was going to return it because as you can see in the side by side comparisons, the pocket 2 has more details even with subjects that are closer so that shouldn't be the case if it was just a depth of field problem.  My intention of putting out the video was to get DJI to fix whatever noise reduction/sharpening algos they are using to be more like the pocket 2.  I think this is the root cause of the problem.  And after the first firmware update, it is better and I can almost get the 3 to match the 2 in the daytime.

Yes, something  is quite different because I could see it on an iPad screen. It seemed to have slightly less contrast as well but that can also be caused by (as you say) less detail.

I’m guessing it sharpens up much the same in post?
2023-11-17
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-17 05:35
Oh that was many years ago - no exciting new release, just accessories etc from what I recall.

Do you remember who it was from DJI that did approached you?

Do you still have the video?
2023-11-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Burt37 Posted at 11-17 13:56
Do you remember who it was from DJI that did approached you?

Do you still have the video?

When dji opened this forum many members were asked to be beta testers, you tube was not that important so dji used members for testing and firmware beta testing, they still do. I have beta tested the phantom 4 and phantom 4 pro mavic 1 Crystal Sky RC pro and was asked to do others, for me I was just first contacted by moderators here .
2023-11-17
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 14:21
When dji opened this forum many members were asked to be beta testers, you tube was not that important so dji used members for testing and firmware beta testing, they still do. I have beta tested the phantom 4 and phantom 4 pro mavic 1 Crystal Sky RC pro and was asked to do others, for me I was just first contacted by moderators here .

So it was not related to reviews, then...
2023-11-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Burt37 Posted at 11-17 14:27
So it was not related to reviews, then...

No you were actual beta testing and given certain things to test and report. You could not mention what you were testing until it was released and many products you continued to beta test after they were released . It was very new tech then and somewhat exciting.
2023-11-17
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 14:44
No you were actual beta testing and given certain things to test and report. You could not mention what you were testing until it was released and many products you continued to beta test after they were released . It was very new tech then and somewhat exciting.

That still does apply today, but it is still not related to youtube reviews...
2023-11-17
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Burt37 Posted at 11-17 14:54
That still does apply today, but it is still not related to youtube reviews...

Almost all of that is now done in-house, I do know a couple of guys who beta test their industrial drones, they are professional drone pilots.
2023-11-17
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-17 15:16
Almost all of that is now done in-house, I do know a couple of guys who beta test their industrial drones, they are professional drone pilots.

I concur.
The units sent out to review are generally just for the release of promotional content and marketing, rather then to 'test' the product. By this stage all testing is complete.
2023-11-21
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-21 00:10
I concur.
The units sent out to review are generally just for the release of promotional content and marketing, rather then to 'test' the product. By this stage all testing is complete.

So, the bottom line is that you have never done reviews for DJI, just some beta testing, not related to youtube...

Am I understanding this correctly?
2023-11-21
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 11-21 05:07
So, the bottom line is that you have never done reviews for DJI, just some beta testing, not related to youtube...

Am I understanding this correctly?

No. Ive never been a beta tester. I have done some product reviews for YouTube in the past in collaboration with DJI, as mentioned above.Not sure what this has to do with anything, other then investigating my background?! lol
2023-11-21
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-21 12:23
No. Ive never been a beta tester. I have done some product reviews for YouTube in the past in collaboration with DJI, as mentioned above.Not sure what this has to do with anything, other then investigating my background?! lol

Is not an investigation on your background... It is simply that you never answer my question in post n.31

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 603&pid=3181029

Then David replied about beta testing, so I thought that he was replying on your behalf...

If you don't like answering simple questions about your youtube channel, after you have posted a video, why bother to post it here in the first place?!?

2023-11-21
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I posted a video review - not my entire channel. I don’t mind answering questions at all, but didn’t want to derail the thread. Nevertheless, I wouldn't release any information on who approached me in the first instance, not without his/her authorisation beforehand.
2023-11-21
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-21 14:33
I posted a video review - not my entire channel. I don’t mind answering questions at all, but didn’t want to derail the thread. Nevertheless, I wouldn't release any information on who approached me in the first instance, not without his/her authorisation beforehand.

I had the feeling when you failed to answer the first time, that this is where it was going to be ended..

Thank you for confirming, my doubts...
2023-11-21
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 11-21 15:07
I had the feeling when you failed to answer the first time, that this is where it was going to be ended..

Thats fine.
You do you.
2023-11-22
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

IftiBashir Posted at 11-22 00:15
Thats fine.
You do you.

Indeed, fine, but embarrassing...
2023-11-22
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't really see how. But as I said. That's fine. You do you. ;)
2023-11-22
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Burt37 Posted at 11-21 15:07

Yo tiger life’s too short, the man has many videos and a really good you tube channel , he doesn’t have to explain everything he’s posted , move on the sky won’t fall in.;+)>>>>
2023-11-24
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 04:34
Yo tiger life’s too short, the man has many videos and a really good you tube channel , he doesn’t have to explain everything he’s posted , move on the sky won’t fall in.;+)>>>>

Yo Poof, you and your mate are done here... Everybody can see "The Truth" now...

But your best performance David, it has got to be this one:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=301367

Thanks for the laugh...
2023-11-24
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Burt37 Posted at 11-24 13:27
Yo Poof, you and your mate are done here... Everybody can see "The Truth" now...

But your best performance David, it has got to be this one:

It seems like being an idiot is what you’re here for. It certainly nothing to do with buying or owning dji products “a whining ninny” is what they would call you in my country “and they’d be right”
2023-11-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules