DJI Osmo Pocket 3 : The Truth! FULL UNSPONSORED REVIEW!
5557 61 2023-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 14:31
It seems like being an idiot is what you’re here for. It certainly nothing to do with buying or owning dji products “a whining ninny” is what they would call you in my country “and they’d be right”

Talking from personal experience again, are we?!?...

2023-11-24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

RayNY Posted at 11-17 07:20
I had the opposite view in my video where I actually think when there is enough light, the Pocket 2 is better than the Pocket 3.

Could you please post a link to this video here in the forums? I would be interested in seeing that. I currently have no plans to get the Pocket 3, as my Pocket 2 is fine as of now, but still interested in seeing some information and comparisons. For what I have seen, the Pocket 3 does blow out the Pocket 2 out of the water in low-light scenarios, but it could possibly be different in well-lit scenes.
2023-11-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Very nice and honest review, I am happy that you mentioned the obligatory activation. It was what annoyed me the most with the Pocket 2, as nobody seemed to mention it before and my phone was not compatible at the moment. Keep up the good work!
2023-11-26
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 11-26 09:34
Very nice and honest review, I am happy that you mentioned the obligatory activation. It was what annoyed me the most with the Pocket 2, as nobody seemed to mention it before and my phone was not compatible at the moment. Keep up the good work!

Thanks - yes I do dislike the activation - I like to be able to purchase and use straight away without the need for any app etc. Generally, I rarely use apps to change settings or control. I always prefer to do everything on camera rather than fumble about with apps when out filming. Activation does add the unit to your profile etc, but its also a way to get end user information, add you to newsletters etc, and start marketing other products/accessories onto you!
2023-11-26
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I don't recall DJI user activation leading to annoyances or invasion of privacy but I can understand people having doubts about it in this over-connected world.
2023-11-26
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 11-26 09:32
Could you please post a link to this video here in the forums? I would be interested in seeing that.  I currently have no plans to get the Pocket 3, as my Pocket 2 is fine as of now, but still interested in seeing some information and comparisons. For what I have seen, the Pocket 3 does blow out the Pocket 2 out of the water in low-light scenarios, but it could possibly be different in well-lit scenes.

I messaged you the the video.  The 3 is a lot better than the 2 in low light.  If there is enough light, the 2 is better for most uses.
2023-11-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

RayNY Posted at 11-26 15:43
I messaged you the the video.  The 3 is a lot better than the 2 in low light.  If there is enough light, the 2 is better for most uses.

Thanks for the PM, will have to check it out with a big and powerful enough screen. I think my hybrid tablet/laptop wouldn't do justice to the video, so would likely be better to use something else to check the comparison..
2023-11-27
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-26 13:44
I don't recall DJI user activation leading to annoyances or invasion of privacy but I can understand people having doubts about it in this over-connected world.

On the plus side, it’s good how all products are saved to your online profile - easy when looking for serial numbers, upgrading with Care Refresh, etc.
Guess it has its pro’s and con’s, although generally I’m not one for shooting alongside the app as I generally create quick, short shots rather than pre-planned video…….
2023-11-28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-26 13:44

For me, it was a huge problem at first, having bought a +500 euro camera set and not being able to use it at all due to the activation not working properly. But I did solve it eventually and after that, been happy with the Pocket 2. And I can see there could be some benefits in online registration such as the ones IftiBashir mentioned. I'm not saying there should be no activation options, I'm just saying that it should be truly optional and not mandatory.
2023-11-29
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agree with optional activation. Alas, not something that I can see DJI changing very soon regardless ;)
2023-12-3
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

After a contraption that covers the Z-Axis for smoother walking shots without the up/down bobbing (and without looking like an idiot doing the ninja walk!)........but something that actually works well.......
2023-12-5
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

IftiBashir Posted at 12-5 02:36
After a contraption that covers the Z-Axis for smoother walking shots without the up/down bobbing (and without looking like an idiot doing the ninja walk!)........but something that actually works well.......

https://us.scottymakesstuff.com/ ... pro-2-plus-4th-axis
2023-12-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Yeah, I had one of those for the Pocket 1 - or was it 2? - but never really used it much.  If I did walk with the Pocket 1/2/3 personally it would be likely to be in the city, where the Z axis device would attract attention I fear.
2023-12-5
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-5 07:06
Yeah, I had one of those for the Pocket 1 - or was it 2? - but never really used it much.  If I did walk with the Pocket 1/2/3 personally it would be likely to be in the city, where the Z axis device would attract attention I fear.

Did you find it actually made a difference to the quality of your moving shots though? Big enough difference to be worth the cost?
2023-12-5
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1859232 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for your excellent review.  I love my Pocket 2, and will be purchasing a Pocket 3 in the near future.  There seems to be plenty of room for future improvements.
2023-12-9
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

smbishop Posted at 12-9 17:00
Thank you for your excellent review.  I love my Pocket 2, and will be purchasing a Pocket 3 in the near future.  There seems to be plenty of room for future improvements.

Would deffo recommend the Creator Combo - it comes with useful accessories that you'll only want to purchase later on!
2023-12-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-16 03:48
It's kind of depressing but the Pocket 3 YouTube video with the most views - 1M - is the one by "Unbox Therapy" which only skims the surface of the device and really tells viewers next to nothing about it, compared with the in depth coverage of Ifti's review (and many others with rather less than 1M views).  Strange place, YouTube.  After labouring mightily to create videos about various aspects of various DJI cameras on my own channel, the biggest audience there was actually 1 minute of footage from a security camera in the garden, during an earthquake...  oh well.

[Edited to confess that having just checked, the one I did about the five gimbal modes of the original Pocket, 4 years ago, does have slightly more views than the earthquake.   Well, that's made my day.  I must get around to changing the title of that video to mention DJI Pocket 3, thus getting a few more views.]

Yeah, it's a weird thing. Youtube knows very well what people like to watch. But that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy after a while. So many get 'left out'.
2023-12-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good review!
2023-12-29
Use props
ciyop35621
New