Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OVS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78842 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi DJI,

It would be great if there was Mimo option (or additonal menu option on the Pocket 3) to Lock the gimbal in a particular direction so it does not pan/tilt/rotate like the "Press and hold 5D joystick - Lock the gimbal" option on the Pocket 3 itself.

This would be great for in-car dashcam footage because even on the "Fast Rotational" speed the gimbal "lags" when cornering and does not always return to it's original direction.

Thanks.

2023-11-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thank you for your recommendation. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. Please visit the DJI official website for any news and updates at https://www.dji.com/. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-11-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

We wanted that for the Pocket 2 (which actually has a better hardware gimbal lock implementation than the Pocket 3), but the app never provided for it.  Here's hoping for both cameras.
2023-11-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with gimbal lock being needed.  There are times you may also just want to use the Pocket 3 as a traditional camera for some specific photos of objects when shooting real estate.  This would be nice.
2023-11-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 11-15 06:58
I agree with gimbal lock being needed.  There are times you may also just want to use the Pocket 3 as a traditional camera for some specific photos of objects when shooting real estate.  This would be nice.

To use the Pocket 3 as a conventional camera, FPV mode should be selected.  Gimbal lock does kind of the opposite, whereby it doesn't matter what you do with the handle, the gimbal head keeps pointing in the direction that it was pointing when the button was pressed.  On the Pocket 2, it was possible to lock the lock, so you could take your finger off the button if it was a prolonged shot and the gimbal direction wouldn't move until the button was pressed again to unlock.  Good use case is when attending a concert and you want to keep the camera pointing at the stage, regardless of whether you waggled your tired hand round during the 4th encore.
2023-11-15
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s strange that this was a really good feature of the original Osmo. It should be implemented with option to use left hand button to lock an release.
2023-11-16
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Actually in testing further there is gimbal lock on pocket 3. Just press and hold left joystick button a lock will appear right hand top corner and gimbal will hold lock on the frame you are shooting, release the button and you will unlock.

Edit; sorry you were looking for permanent lock hands free..
2023-11-18
Use props
OVS
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-18 02:37
Actually in testing further there is gimbal lock on pocket 3. Just press and hold left joystick button a lock will appear right hand top corner and gimbal will hold lock on the frame you are shooting, release the button and you will unlock.

Yes thanks I’m aware of that, I’m asking DJI to provide a “lock option” ideally from the Mimo app that replicates this without having to press and hold the joystick.
2023-11-18
Use props
OVS
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 11-18 02:37

Yes thanks I’m aware of that, I’m asking DJI to provide a “lock option” ideally from the Mimo app that replicates this without having to press and hold the joystick.
2023-11-18
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

OVS Posted at 11-18 02:40

Sorry I just noticed and edited my post.
2023-11-18
Use props
Altero
lvl.2

Thailand

This is what I need too. It has to be a separate gimbal mode. Add it after FPV please. And I'm still wondering why you can't change gimbal modes by button.         
2023-11-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Altero Posted at 11-18 20:11
This is what I need too. It has to be a separate gimbal mode. Add it after FPV please. And I'm still wondering why you can't change gimbal modes by button.

We appreciate your valuable suggestions. We will forward your feedback to the related department. Thank you for your great support.
2023-11-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Altero Posted at 11-18 20:11

If it was a separate gimbal mode it would be a right pain to use.  Locking the gimbal (to the scene it's pointing at at any given moment) should be an instant option and should also be instantly unlocked when required, reverting to the gimbal mode currently in use.  Have you used the gimbal lock on previous models?  Maybe not...  It has nothing to do with FPV mode at all, which is the mode which locks (more or less) the gimbal head to the handle.  Gimbal lock is the opposite, locking the gimbal head to the scene regardless of which way you point the handle.  One of the uses for this is to allow you to manually recenter the handle and the gimbal head - you apply the lock, then move the handle so that its position relative to the head is what is now required.  This has no effect on the running footage, unlike the recenter function which causes a sudden jerk in the picture.

[Edited to add that I have just remembered I did a video entirely about gimbal locking on the Pocket 2 which is relevant to this discussion]

2023-11-19
Use props
Altero
lvl.2

Thailand

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-19 03:10
If it was a separate gimbal mode it would be a right pain to use.  Locking the gimbal (to the scene it's pointing at at any given moment) should be an instant option and should also be instantly unlocked when required, reverting to the gimbal mode currently in use.  Have you used the gimbal lock on previous models?  Maybe not...  It has nothing to do with FPV mode at all, which is the mode which locks (more or less) the gimbal head to the handle.  Gimbal lock is the opposite, locking the gimbal head to the scene regardless of which way you point the handle.  One of the uses for this is to allow you to manually recenter the handle and the gimbal head - you apply the lock, then move the handle so that its position relative to the head is what is now required.  This has no effect on the running footage, unlike the recenter function which causes a sudden jerk in the picture.

[Edited to add that I have just remembered I did a video entirely about gimbal locking on the Pocket 2 which is relevant to this discussion]

Nice video! Thank you! I had many gimbals and some of them had "lock gimbal mode" as 4th mode. Nothing was bad about it. If it can be done the same way as in Pocket 2, then maybe it's even better. Maybe if DJI finally could make changing gimbal modes by physical button (1 short press on joystick), the next cool feature would be to make the mode list (for this button) customizable. For example, I never use FPV mode, so hiding it would be great. All modes could be left intact in the menu as it's now.  BTW I film every day and 4 clicks to change gimbal mode is so annoying.
2023-11-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

While reducing the number of physical buttons is good up to a point, maybe they have taken it slightly too far.  I am surprised that there's no trigger button on the back of any Pocket-style gimbal camera that I've seen.  That would be a great way to handle locking (hold it down for a moment to lock/unlock) and also mode selection (short press to cycle).  Double click to switch between Follow and Tilt Lock modes (like the button on the side of the official Pocket 2 extension rod).  Actually, for me the extension rod with its controls is almost indispensible, so I'm hoping that a Pocket 3 version of that is on its way, complete with all the buttons that are on the Pocket 2 rod.
2023-11-19
Use props
EnTuMente
lvl.3

Spain

They are not going to add it because DJI has decided to take a step back from the Pocket 2, and they have removed such useful buttons that the Pocket 2 did have.

There is only the button on the direction lever and they already have it saturated to add an option that blocks the gimbal.

It can only be locked if you leave the direction button pressed. If you let go or press it wrong, you can only get angry and remember DJI a lot.

It's unfortunate what DJI has done regarding the fixed lock button that the Pocket 2 had. It was great for me when I was recording concerts because that way I could rest leaving the gimbal lock fixed (I record concerts in full and without cuts).

Likewise, I find it ridiculous that they also eliminated the option that the Pocket 2 had when you left the record button pressed. Which could pause the recording.

Whether the camera gets hot or not, WHICH IT HAS NEVER HOT, is my problem and I decide whether to pause the recording or not. I have not rented the camera and I have bought it.

Soon I will do a mega review to explain to everyone the virtues and faults of this camera (which has many, good and bad).

Especially a comparison with the Pocket 2 in terms of settings and quick access buttons.

2023-11-21
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I am sure firmware update could fix this one - for instance, after holding lock for five seconds, lock the lock, press again to unlock.  Or whatever.  The camera is very "young" and I am sure that there will be all sorts of improvements via FW in the coming months.
2023-11-21
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

Hi OVS
Locking the gimbal position is not for in-car shoot. when the car turns left or right, the gimbal direction staying the real world position is not what your want.(gimbal rotational speed set to Slow might be more suitable instead)
Locking the gimbal needs to either remote control the direction or switching locking status as 5d joystick, which is very cumbersome for beginners.
2023-11-21
Use props
ochiosu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86752 ft
Romania

I want that all direction lock feature to. So please dJi doit with a firmware update.
2023-12-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ochiosu Posted at 12-20 11:26
I want that all direction lock feature to. So please dJi doit with a firmware update.

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com.
2023-12-21
Use props
GeekyPhilip
New
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would buy three of these today if the gimbal could be set in position and does not change position in a moving vehicle.
1-10 13:32
Use props
Drift.dk
lvl.3
  • >>>
South Korea

The photos on the OP3 don't look like they're from a mobile device, they look like they're from a mirrorless camera.
The white balance and colors are both great, so if the OP3's camera modes could be improved to be more convenient, I wouldn't be taking photos with my phone.
1-10 17:36
Use props
djiuser_1unmL0AVr4a3
New

Cambodia

I actually want a lock so that I can wipe my lens clean without it moving, lol.
2-1 00:13
Use props
djiuser_86RRoAgr8Yda
New

United States

djiuser_1unmL0AVr4a3 Posted at 2-1 00:13
I actually want a lock so that I can wipe my lens clean without it moving, lol.

You just gave me a way to hold the gimbal still while adding or removing a filter.  THANKS
2-13 09:21
Use props
fans90a3eaed
New
Flight distance : 68097 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Please add the gimbal lock feature as I film a lot while driving a car and the movement is too much for viewers. Thanks in advance
4-17 14:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules