Do NOT take your drone to France (I got arrested)
3668 14 2023-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
volaredrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3895945 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know people are going to call me an idiot here... but I feel like this is likely a mistake many other people make and I figured this post could serve as a warning to others....

In September, my wife and I took a trip to France with my (practically brand new) Mavic 3 Pro. I was hired by a chateau there to film their property with my drone. Before leaving, I acquired a French drone license, registered my drone with the French drone authorities, took the required French drone course  – everything that I needed to do to be legal.

When in Paris, I opened the DJI app to see how far out of town I'd need to go to fly. The app showed central Paris was a no fly zone (as I suspected and had read online), but that outside the city center was a forrest that was only a warning zone, so we headed there and put the drone up. What I didn't realize is that the DJI app map is very innacurate in France – practically most of France (including Paris and all sububurbs) is a no fly zone.

DJI-ok-to-fly-zone.jpg

So, the police came while I was flying and took me to jail. When questioned by the police (who were super nice), they were amazed at all the steps I had taken to ensure I was flying legally. They said that in all the years they had arrested people for flying in illegal areas, not a single other person had ever taken the course and all the steps I had (+ labeling drone, showing license, FAA license, liability insurance, etc.). They said they'd be very surprised if the prosecutor confiscated my drone, but unfortunately that is exactly what happened (~$3,500 of equipment betwen M3P and RC pro). I spent the night in jail and had to appear in court the next day – missed a tour we had booked and lost a day of our vacation + the job I had at the chateau, but the worst part was the drone of course.
I was given a sort of deferred adjudication, where I didn't have to pay a fine or be formally convicted if I don't commit the same offense again in the next 6 years in France. If I do, I will spend like 6 months in jail and pay $75,000. The French prosecutor said that to fly practically anywhere in France you need to ask the local police for permission.

The French police called DJI and were told by a representative that the company is aware of the map inaccuracies and has no plans to change it.
I feel like DJI is doing a HUGE disservice to their customers and knowlingly misleading them.
There is no reason DJI should not have these areas blocked off as no-fly zones in the app and require custom authorization documents uploaded for flying in them (like near airports in the US). At the very least, DJI should give a warning in the app saying that it is not permitted without approval from French police and require a checkbox to acknolwedge it. In actuality, there was no warning at all.

-

Here is the real France no-fly map for reference from the French government: https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/donnees/restrictions-uas-categorie-ouverte-et-aeromodelisme

2023-11-15
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I won't call you an idiot. DJI doesn't seem to put in all no fly zones and when I was in France I noticed in a different app that there were many more restrictions than in most other countries which was really annoying. I hope I didn't make any mistakes and wasn't approached by anyone. A real shame about your drone. Thank you for warning us.
2023-11-15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6337615 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Youre right with the link to the French version of their NFZs.
And my word! how those red areas have proliferated over the last few years.

The starting point for anyone wanting to fly drones in France is here:

https://alphatango.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/login.jsp

I lived in France until 2021, obtained my French drone licence in 2017, and enjoyed the hobby.
In all that time I didn't have such an unfortunate experience as you did.
Commisserations.
2023-11-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im curious how you got through the A2 exam without knowing about the real NFZ official site.
2023-11-16
Use props
volaredrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-16 01:42
Im curious how you got through the A2 exam without knowing about the real NFZ official site.

I saw the link in the exam and incorrectly assumed that DJI's map would reflect it (as it has every time I've flown in the US)
2023-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

volaredrone Posted at 11-16 07:37
I saw the link in the exam and incorrectly assumed that DJI's map would reflect it (as it has every time I've flown in the US)

That doenst add up as the A2 exam goes into far more depth than the A1/A3 exam that you can take first at your leisure without being monitored.
2023-11-17
Use props
volaredrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-17 04:45
That doenst add up as the A2 exam goes into far more depth than the A1/A3 exam that you can take first at your leisure without being monitored.

I took the A1/A3 exam in my own time.

Half of the documents were in French and not translated.
2023-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

volaredrone Posted at 11-17 07:36

OK So you needed the A2 exam to fly the Mavic Pro there then as its not C0-C1
2023-11-18
Use props
volaredrone
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-18 00:54
OK So you needed the A2 exam to fly the Mavic Pro there then as its not C0-C1

A C2 drone can still fly in A3 category.

Regardless, the French police didn't take any issue with the course or license I had.
The bigger issue was I wouldn't be able to fly where I was no matter what license I had.
2023-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

volaredrone Posted at 11-19 14:34
A C2 drone can still fly in A3 category.

Regardless, the French police didn't take any issue with the course or license I had.

You were in a park,  thats not an A3 area.  
2023-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It's quite similar in NL (the map inaccuracy).
I always use the local map (whenever available)
2023-12-29
Use props
Irene Lee
lvl.1

United States

So you think people shouldn’t take their drone to France because YOU failed to get all the information you needed?
Drones are legal in France. They can be flown in plenty of places. One  needs to know where and how. You admit you didn’t know. Relying on DJI app to determine flight restrictions? Seriously? I’m taking ny C1 drone to France and have already secured permission from private locations where I want to take photos and will notify local police. As is clearly stated in the local laws.
2-25 20:01
Use props
Irene Lee
lvl.1

United States

volaredrone Posted at 2023-11-17 07:36

Ignorance of the law in any country is never an excuse. It sucks that you had a bad experience but labeling your post as “don’t take your drone to France” is silly. Should have been “don’t make the mistake I made”. Drones are legal in France.
2-25 20:05
Use props
djiuser_JtCxZmvmsIay
lvl.1

Australia

Irene Lee Posted at 2-25 20:01
So you think people shouldn’t take their drone to France because YOU failed to get all the information you needed?
Drones are legal in France. They can be flown in plenty of places. One  needs to know where and how. You admit you didn’t know. Relying on DJI app to determine flight restrictions? Seriously? I’m taking ny C1 drone to France and have already secured permission from private locations where I want to take photos and will notify local police. As is clearly stated in the local laws.

Hello Irene Lei,

I have been trying to understand the laws and regulations for operating drones in France. From the comments, you seem to have a good grasp of the subject. I wanted to ask you a few questions if possible.

I have registered and passed the exam to be an operator in France, but there are many places I would love to film that are marked as no-fly zones on the official map. I read that you contacted the authorities and were granted permission to fly in these zones. Could you please tell me who you contacted? Is it supposed to be the police? Who can give you permission?

I greatly appreciate your time and thank you for sharing your previous experience.

Kindest regards,
Diego Andrade
6-3 15:25
Use props
djiuser_ZrULRrqJf0UK
New
United Kingdom

I am trying to register my Mavic 3pro with Alpha  Tango, however on the registration form it asks for the electronic reporting device ID that is installed in the drone. I had no idea where to get it, so I contacted DJI and to honest neither did they.
So if any one can tell me how to get it I would be grateful.
Nick
7-22 07:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules