Almost lost the Mini 4 pro during flight
1746 13 2023-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mrhonidji
lvl.2

United States

I took the drone out yesterday.  Wanted to get some closer video of part of the mountain.  I almost lost the drone.  It went over a ridge out of direct line of communication.  Was getting weak signal and could hardly control it to get it back to me.  In the end I got it.
Would it have come back on its own?

2023-11-18
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2007070 ft
Canada

If the signal was lost for more than 6 seconds it would initiate a lost signal return to home procedure. If you had the correct rth settings selected such as rth and not hover or land. As well as an appropriate rth altitude so it did not run into obstacles on the way back and an updated hompoint at your current location then yes it should have returned to you on signal loss.  
2023-11-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

You need to read the manual. ESPECIALLY the RTH section!!!
2023-11-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That you are asking the question "Would it have come back on its own?" is surprising.

I too would suggest you spend some time reading the manual, paying particular attention to both the failsafe/loss-of-control-signal and RTH sections.
In addition I would suggest you then work your way through all the RTH behaviours, in a safe place, to ensure that you understand them correctly.
2023-11-18
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152569 ft
United Kingdom

Why do some people think that all radio waves at all frequencies can magically go through rock or trees or buildings.  I learned about radio waves in secondary school.  Don't they teach kids anything in school these days?  Whilst some radio waves can go beyond line of sight due to reflection and defraction, this is unlikely in the case of your RC2.  If you don't maintain line of sight between your drone and the RC there is a high risk you will lose control - as you discovered.  Physics 101!!!  
2023-11-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello there. It depends on how you set it in your Advanced Safety settings. It can be set to Return To Home, Descend, or Hover.

Here is the link for the User Manual for your reference: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf. Have a great day ahead.
2023-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 11-19 00:53
Hello there. It depends on how you set it in your Advanced Safety settings. It can be set to Return To Home, Descend, or Hover.
[view_image]
Here is the link for the User Manual for your reference: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_4_Pro/DJI_Mini_4_Pro_User_Manual_EN.pdf. Have a great day ahead.

That doesn't tell him anything useful.
He needs to read the Failsafe RTH section.
2023-11-19
Use props
mrhonidji
lvl.2

United States

Steph Jant Posted at 11-19 00:44
Why do some people think that all radio waves at all frequencies can magically go through rock or trees or buildings.  I learned about radio waves in secondary school.  Don't they teach kids anything in school these days?  Whilst some radio waves can go beyond line of sight due to reflection and defraction, this is unlikely in the case of your RC2.  If you don't maintain line of sight between your drone and the RC there is a high risk you will lose control - as you discovered.  Physics 101!!!

I failed Physics 101.
I had control of the drone until I got weak signal. I didn’t look at the distance but it was at least a mile away from me.  I didn’t anticipate my angle to where the drone was going.
Lesson learned.  
2023-11-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

mrhonidji Posted at 11-19 06:28
I failed Physics 101.
I had control of the drone until I got weak signal. I didn’t look at the distance but it was at least a mile away from me.  I didn’t anticipate my angle to where the drone was going.
Lesson learned.

You also need to take the TRUST test, there is some legal information about maintain visual line of sight with your drone as well.
2023-11-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Steph Jant Posted at 11-19 00:44

I believe some people simply think of it like an FM radio.  When you tune into your favorite radio station, you can listen to music whether you are inside the school room, driving in a car, outside on the patio, or on the 5th floor of your office.  Or maybe the cellular phone, you get the signal pretty much everywhere.  People don't realize the drone is not as powerful as the cellphone signal or the FM radio station but maybe powerful enough for 1 or 2 miles (according to DJI).  When it comes to these things, blockage doesn't come to mind right away.

Also none of these kids had to climb up on the roof to adjust the TV antenna.  They don't teach these things in school any longer.  
2023-11-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-18 13:42
That you are asking the question "Would it have come back on its own?" is surprising.

I too would suggest you spend some time reading the manual, paying particular attention to both the failsafe/loss-of-control-signal and RTH sections.

Not only surprising but also shocking.  It's a good think DJI has adequate default settings which take care of new flyers who don't review all the settings.  DJI should force you to review the RTH options and check the box on first power up just like it does with "checking the propeller positioning...."
2023-11-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

This guy.  He is "that" guy.
2023-11-19
Use props
djiuser_r57o24SIsrB9
New

United Kingdom

It would be nice if people could reply to the guy without adding all the sanctimonious BS.
5-3 04:04
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

djiuser_r57o24SIsrB9 Posted at 5-3 04:04
It would be nice if people could reply to the guy without adding all the sanctimonious BS.

First of all,  I do not understand what is the meaning of reviving a thread that was sleeping for more than 6 months, just to add some banalities ...

And then, people that start operating a drone are supposed to know the safety basics. And RTH is one of them and it's clearly described in the manual. A person asking this kind of question deserves all the consequent BS ...

In addition, I do not understand what is the meaning of reviving a thread that was sleeping for more than 6 months, just to add some banalities ...
5-3 05:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules