2.4 or 5.8 GHz or Auto for distance
1135 8 2023-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Louis Riel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123563 ft

New Zealand

Mini 3 Pro with CE RC. Latest versions. Relative newby.Thanks for all the replies on my previous posts.

I leave my frequency selector on Auto.
However, I start losing signal bars out about 1300 m from Home.
Unobstructed line of site and I try to pay attention to orientation with a little help from the Radar display.
Flying across a rural valley about 150 m up, no power lines or other sources of interference.

Apparently the CE version is somewhat underpowered compared to the FCC settings locked away in the firmware.
It is my understanding that lower frequencies achieve the best penetration and distances relative to the power of the signal.
And higher frequencies are better able to handle RF interference but require more power to achieve the same distance.
In my rural situation, would I be better off manually choosing 2.4 GHz and selecting the channel displaying the least interference?

If so, what bandwidth, 10 or 20 MHz, is best for this task?
Or, should I just leave it to the device to choose what frequency, channel and bandwidth it judges to be best at any given time?

2023-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I keep mine on Auto and dont have any real distance issues.  
2023-11-20
Use props
nikonya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 527740 ft
Slovenia

As you said by yourself, in theory 2.4 Ghz should work better in non urban enviroment, and 5Ghz in urban, but to be honest I never had time to test if manual channel switch works better than automatic. Auto setting should in theory scan both frequencies and look for the one with less intereferance, but how it work i real life I really don't know.
It would be interesting to know but on other side 90% of my flights are under 1,5km in distance, firstly because in many cases there is no need, and secondly because of VLOS demand in EU, and after few hundred mt there is almost no way to see the drone anymore.
Also to add, there is really a lot of thinghs to be careful about when flying from wb, iso, shutter speed, where to fly, not to fly to high, not to crash it, weather, other flying objects.... so for me it is honestly much easier to leave it as it is and don't even think about it
2023-11-20
Use props
FL_Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810594 ft
United States

nikonya Posted at 11-20 03:23
As you said by yourself, in theory 2.4 Ghz should work better in non urban enviroment, and 5Ghz in urban, but to be honest I never had time to test if manual channel switch works better than automatic. Auto setting should in theory scan both frequencies and look for the one with less intereferance, but how it work i real life I really don't know.
It would be interesting to know but on other side 90% of my flights are under 1,5km in distance, firstly because in many cases there is no need, and secondly because of VLOS demand in EU, and after few hundred mt there is almost no way to see the drone anymore.
Also to add, there is really a lot of thinghs to be careful about when flying from wb, iso, shutter speed, where to fly, not to fly to high, not to crash it, weather, other flying objects.... so for me it is honestly much easier to leave it as it is and don't even think about it

LOL… that’s good advice, I also usually leave my camera on auto settings too since flying in crowded/difficult spaces takes a lot of work. The transmitter is best left alone to “do its own thing”. I figure that DJI engineers know more about it than I do. Happy flying!
2023-11-20
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152605 ft
United Kingdom

If you’re going to be legal and stay within VLOS (unless you live in Canada) then it doesn’t matter which setting you use
2023-11-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Auto setting should serve you the best.  
2023-11-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If youre in FCC then it makes no difference as they both have the same power.

If youre in CE then 2.4 is better for distance (unless its urban) but you should just keep it on auto as it will sort it all out automatically anyway.
2023-11-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. It is recommended to use Auto. It will switch the 2.4/5.8 GHz frequency automatically during the flight. Have a nice day.
2023-11-20
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United States

2.4 for me.
2023-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules