INSTA360 ACE PRO vs. Action 4 and the winner is Action 4
23005 74 2023-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m liking what I see with the Ace Pro. The low light capabilities WITH stabilisation look mighty impressive to me. But the huge feature set is on another level - pausing and adding to previously saved clips. Even the little things like ‘cancelling’ a recording etc. These all add up to create a great package. Appreciate this is a DJI forum and many will side with the DJI because of it, but I’m exciting to receive my Ace Pro and can’t wait to start using it!
2023-12-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

The flip-screen makes the camera a bit thicker than I would like.
Ace Pro is one of the best for low light with good stabilization, but we still need to see more real world tests without just walking in the dark.
I have seen one driving in low light with it and it had some stuttering, so if more having that issue it is not good.
2023-12-3
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, one big advantage the Ace Pro has is it has two bit rate modes, standard and high, while the OA4 only has high and for many
uses medium is plenty and has the big advantage of not taking up gobs of space on SD Cards.
For example the Ace Pro with a 256gb SD card on medium bit rate can record at 4k 30 for over 8 hours, while the Osmo Action can't even
hit 6 hours.

2023-12-4
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looks like it might be the Ace 360 that is coming out on top.
2023-12-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

whats wrong with that gopro its got to be level. did not watch Airphotos vid yet  a lot of hand he is
2023-12-4
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

The sky looks much better with Action 4 on this video :

2023-12-14
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought the skin colour on the Ace was a bit strange and then I noticed that he’s left it on ‘vivid’……
2023-12-14
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

yeah happy to see vids
2023-12-14
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Very strange why Insta was so dumb to not make a simple lens cover design that is replaceable.  Even with the 1 year coverage you still have to pay for shipping.  Makes the action camera almost disposable after 1 year if the lens gets scratched.  Understandable that a bubble 360 camera lens is not user replaceable - but for a flat lens - c'mon.  Both GP and DJI have replaceable lens covers.  Insta should as well.  This is a fail and makes the camera not a "real" action camera.  Would not surprise me that Insta decides to correct this miss for a future iteration.

Otherwise the camera has some good points like the 2x zoom.
2023-12-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, this is an issue with 'paid' reviewers.
There is even more bias compared to non paid reviewers.
1-3 01:06
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Insta have been spamming Youtube with paid reviews. I don't blame the youtbers here, but they should be honest. You'll noticed that when the Ace and Ace Pro were released, a lot of the YouTubers weren't huge names or those synonymous with in depth quality comparisons.

That's the reason proper reviewers like DC Rainmaker haven't had the ACE Pro yet yet to do a full review.
1-4 06:42
Use props
djiuser_EwvyrzYvWAqN
New
Italy

Io penso solo che DJI debba fare un app decente di elaborazione immagine
2-18 14:13
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_EwvyrzYvWAqN Posted at 2-18 14:13
Io penso solo che DJI debba fare un app decente di elaborazione immagine

The processing done by the Ace Pro in low light is unbelievably good.

I’ve been using an Ace Pro for a couple of weeks now and I have found it to be fantastic in use. The flippy  screen is so useful to take quiet shots at hip level in crowded places and the quality of video is extremely good. Especially now that hdr can be switched on and off. Audio in camera is good and the audio adapter is nice and solid.

The one thing that I don’t like is no screw thread for filters but ease of use is lovely on the Ace. I'm going to try a filter adapter so that I can use my normal softening filters and nd's. Waiting for one to arrive. I would have liked a screw on adapter for the Action 4 actually.

To me, it feels like a halfway house between an action cam and pocket camera.

2-19 01:36
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I beg to differ the Action 4 loses all quality in closes ups

2-19 07:37
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Ace Pro doesn't focus as close as Action 4, so Action 4 should be way better than your screenshot is showing. I take the liberty of saying that the YouTuber has been paid by other brands
2-19 13:35
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I haven’t found the Ace focus to be a night and day difference with the Action 4 so far.  The biggest difference I've seen is in dynamic range. The Ace tends to pick out small detail in grey skies more than both the GoPro and Action 4. It's quite a subtle difference but it is there more often than not where the other two produce a 'white' sky.

2-20 01:47
Use props
djiuser_kTvFwiRqnv44
lvl.3
Poland

I'm waiting for Action 5 and fixing the flare problem. I'm thinking about purchasing Ace Pro temporarily, but I have concerns about 8Bit - did you notice the difference compared to 10Bit Action 3 and 4?
2-27 03:31
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_kTvFwiRqnv44 Posted at 2-27 03:31
I'm waiting for Action 5 and fixing the flare problem. I'm thinking about purchasing Ace Pro temporarily, but I have concerns about 8Bit - did you notice the difference compared to 10Bit Action 3 and 4?

To be honest, I didn’t. It gets converted to 8 bit when I render in any case and YouTube only sends out 8 bit,  so for me, I don’t feel that 10 bit offers much in reality. Especially when they are played back on an 8 bit system. My TV does 10 bit but I try not to get footage white balance so bad that it needs too much adjustment really. It's not a biggie for me.

I have found the Insta360 to be really very good. Especially in lower light when the weather is bad or indoors. I like it a lot tbh.
Here's a video that I made on the Ace a couple of weeks ago in really bad lighting conditions. It's brighter than it looked in real life .......

One thing that I prefer with the Action though is the screw thread mounting in front of the lens because nd filters screw on rather than a silly press fit on the Ace Pro.That makes using nd filters and slower frame rates much easier than the (lack of) arrangement on the Ace. So I tend to use the Action for daylight, slower shutter shots and the Ace for dull days or interiors. This video is all on the Ace.

Another thing about the Ace is that 24fps is actually 24, not 23.98. So if you mix Action 4 24fps with Ace 24fps, there is a slight mismatch. I change the 24fps speed to 99% to get a closer match.

The last 'oddity' is to do with Catalyst Browse, which I use for brightness and colour correction quite often. That programme can't play or even 'see' Ace files but it sees and plays Action clips. Weird.
2-27 13:15
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I have worked with GoPro Hero many times....in daylight, is a very good camera, especially the 11 Black edition,  liked it more than any other for quality and huge details, better than DJI and Insta. In night time is not, as was not created for night.
For night time, Ace Pro is using a very good highlight management, but also uses a strong denoise that can create strange look at human face. Also the details look less sharp and without some details.
Action 4 is still fighting with strange artefacts in night and a total miss of highlights, being overexposed....would be good a HLG management to get details for highs also. Also the steady shot is way under GoPro...but waaayyy under. For details in daytime is near GoPro and over Ace Pro, in night is best choice but need care with stable shot in night as you have flares from light that go crazy in stable mode, ruining picture. The details in night are the best, but will not be a usable video as long as you have that flares that will move all around and look like is video skipping.

So...my opinion is:
Daytime users: GoPro 11 or 12
Lazy/Vlog  users: Ace Pro
Night users/mixed use: DJI Action 4.
3-14 00:27
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why Lazy users though?

When I first got the Ace Pro, I was so used to using GoPro 11 and Action 4 and found both really good for lazy/vlog stuff.

I saw people talking about close focus on the Ace Pro and I felt that it wouldn't be suitable. So I got it purely for its excellent low light capture. (Like in the cathedral video above)

However, my Ace Pro seems to focus quite well up close and is brilliant for vloggy things as well as low light. I haven't seen the flares going crazy in stable mode yet. I think you are talking about Pure Video mode. When moving around, I have seen videos where people have forgotten to turn on the low light stabilisation and that causes twitching if you walk around or move the camera. For still shots I switch the stabilisation off in Pure Video because it's even brighter, but when walking around in the dark, low light stabilisation needs to be switched on. Many seem to forget it.

I have seen quite an awkward looking flare on the Action 4 though, which I've also seen on other peoples' videos. It comes in at an angle from the corner and abruptly stops. It's quite odd looking.

3-14 01:17
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Yeah the OA4 flare are the actual 7 or 8 layers of lenses for fisheye,  that looks like a speaker. if Ace pro has no flares that be a good reason for me to switch over, DJI will most likely fix it in their next , OA5  they picked the wrong lens if asked.
3-14 03:32
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I only wish Ace Pro didn't have the same desync audio problem that all their earlier cameras also have. And for most people that is not a big issue and can easily be fixed in post, but for me shooting at 30+ min every time it will be a pain to fix.

Just checked, Action 4 is selling now for $333 (sale) and Ace Pro $562 in Norway.
3-14 03:57
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Action 4 is a great buy really. In ‘normal’ conditions, I’m hard pushed to tell the difference between the Ace and Action. Actually, the GoPro stands out more with its skin tones I think.

I agree Fish. OA5 might address that weird flare. I’m just careful with it if I point towards the sun, but it is a pity. Looks awful when you get it.
3-14 05:00
Use props
DJI_user_PL
lvl.3
Poland

Maybe changing the lens glass to something else will help? Has anyone tried to fight it?
3-18 13:16
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Not sure if  I   dialed down so the flares stayed minimal  changed the  bit color o get the low light enhancement and I think the flare came on
3-18 14:39
Use props
Tanhy
lvl.2

Czechia

Aavis Posted at 2023-11-22 02:52
The more native megapixels the smaller the pixel size is in the sensor. It is totally not that simple with megapixels.

You can anyway export DNG raw file to 600 DPI if you want and set resolution what ever you want.

What are you talking about? This is nonsense.
If I am correct, they both have the same sensor wit 48 megapixels, but DJI does pixel binning to 12mpx, even in RAW images. So pixel size is the exact same on both of these cameras, Dji processes them differently to reduce noise, which theoretically produces better quality images.
So for video, its great, but photos are limited to 12mpx resolution, unlike ACE pro. You cant make up resolution in post. Only AI can help you there, but thats different topic.
3-19 12:47
Use props
djiuser_p41EvEioDa3T
New
Peru

Gentlemen of DJI: For Osmo Action 4,
PUT A RECORD BUTTON ON THE SCREEN, THAT START AND STOP THE RECORDING!
just as smartphones have it and so has the Insta 360 Ace Pro.
The physical record button is extremely hard,
those of us who make Vlogs are repeatedly hitting this button
that makes our hand hurt and moves the shots because of how hard it is,
and it is also impractical because it is at the top and not in front.
If we use the voice command it ruins the recording, since the “Stop Recording”
appears in the video and spoils the shot.
I hope they make a software update,
very soon in the short term, and that they include the record button on the screen.
3-19 16:45
Use props
djiuser_p41EvEioDa3T
New
Peru

PUT A RECORD BUTTON ON THE SCREEN, THAT START AND STOP THE RECORDING!
The physical record button is extremely hard,
those of us who make Vlogs are repeatedly hitting this button
that makes our hand hurt and moves the shots because of how hard it is,
and it is also impractical because it is at the top and not in front.
If we use the voice command it ruins the recording, since the “Stop Recording”
appears in the video and spoils the shot.
I hope they make a software update,
very soon in the short term, and that they include the record button on the screen.
3-19 16:50
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_p41EvEioDa3T Posted at 3-19 16:50
PUT A RECORD BUTTON ON THE SCREEN, THAT START AND STOP THE RECORDING!

You can stop and start recordings with the Mimo App.
3-20 03:12
Use props
djiuser_p41EvEioDa3T
New
Peru

JustName Posted at 3-20 03:12
You can stop and start recordings with the Mimo App.

It is not practical to have to constantly start and stop video with a smartphone when you are walking and moving everywhere (video vlogs), being able to do it directly on the Osmo Action 4 screen itself.
3-20 09:19
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_p41EvEioDa3T Posted at 3-20 09:19
It is not practical to have to constantly start and stop video with a smartphone when you are walking and moving everywhere (video vlogs), being able to do it directly on the Osmo Action 4 screen itself.

ok, then train a little strength in your fingers. Even my three-year-old son has absolutely no problem starting and stopping the camera.
3-21 12:04
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I am getting an Osmo Action 4, and I plan to mount it on my Mini 4 Pro to get some amazing aerial shots.
3-24 06:36
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s a great little camera. To emulate a drone, I sometimes swing mine on a long pole and walk with it! You should see the looks I get!!
3-24 23:08
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

USER001 Posted at 3-24 06:36
I am getting an Osmo Action 4, and I plan to mount it on my Mini 4 Pro to get some amazing aerial shots.

Better to use the camera on Mini 4, it is already great
3-25 08:19
Use props
Gabriel Tallon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 829780 ft
United States

Awesome! Thanks for that comparison. Very helpful.
5-10 13:08
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules