Update firmware over wifi without cards P3S
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

I posted this earlier http://forum.dji.com/thread-30216-1-1.html

I seem to have been able to update my p3 standard over wifi from the phone (iphone 6) - why is everyone saving stuff to cards or am I bonkers?
This could be just a PS3 way of updating

2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't have a P3S but am now downgrading my P3P to 1.3.20 and I will see what it does. maybe its a feature added to the P3S only for now, maybe 1.4.0010 enables the same in the P3P.. Dont now.. Will update soon once my P3P has downgraded.
2015-9-7
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-7 18:34
I don't have a P3S but am now downgrading my P3P to 1.3.20 and I will see what it does. maybe its a  ...

I thought my firmware updated just like this when I got the P3S a few weeks ago but was too new to everything to fully understand what was happening - thanks sploodge for testing it on yours as this was a really easy process to follow and will save people time and effort if it works on the A & P aswell
2015-9-7
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have tested and it appears you cannot update the P3P ( and probably P3A ) with the App. Shows update is required but no option to update.

2015-9-7
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

That is a shame   but made the process nice and easy for me.   Well done for testing
2015-9-7
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

That's how I did it on my P3S this morning. As soon as I launched the app I was greeted with a message that there was a new firmware update. Hit the update button on the screen and it was finished with everything in about 10 minutes. No copying files to an SD card. No muss no fuss.
2015-9-7
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-7 19:45
That's how I did it on my P3S this morning. As soon as I launched the app I was greeted with a messa ...

Yep nice and easy - so there is one advantage of having a standard
2015-9-7
Use props
geoffreyhewat
lvl.1

Canada

I've updated from the app but have no options available for intelligent flight modes?
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

I rather update thru memory card, without the risk of app crashing. Not sure if that's was a smart move by DJI, given how sensitive the app seems to be on different devices.
2015-9-7
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

geoffreyhewat@m Posted at 2015-9-7 17:52
I've updated from the app but have no options available for intelligent flight modes?

You have to have the Phantom in the air to active the intelligent flight modes.
2015-9-7
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-7 19:43
I rather update thru memory card, without the risk of app crashing. Not sure if that's was a smart m ...

Apparently, the app copies the firmware file to the card before the upgrade.  Without the card installed, the upgrade through app won't proceed.
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

gongml Posted at 2015-9-8 00:26
Apparently, the app copies the firmware file to the card before the upgrade.  Without the card ins ...

So the only difference is how it's initiated, by the app or by the user turning on the P3. No benefit by doing thru the app imo.
2015-9-7
Use props
iquadtography
lvl.1

United States

Stan1970 Posted at 2015-9-7 14:47

LOVE THIS!   
2015-9-18
Use props
truckerich
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100814 ft
United States

Any idea all. How to tell on a NEW 1 week old P3 Pro.? And how do you snap the clear caps and pins set of 4 for the Gimble? push together?
2015-10-5
Use props
truckerich
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100814 ft
United States

That's very, very smart. Is that your lcd screen on your drone? Is that the DJI-GO software? Must have the update on the screen somewhere. And will automatically check and upgrade if there is a update. Instead of 1 piece at a time update using the SD Card method. Every thing is connected and on is that correct? Could you explain the steps how we can do that?? That's alsome. What's the F Mode?
2015-10-5
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Stan1970 Posted at 2015-9-7 11:47

On my system,  I have to have the app connected to the p3s via the controller wifi.  To get it to download the update,  I had to connect the app to my router,  then when it downloaded I switched it back to the controllers wifi.  Is this how you did it?
2015-10-6
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-10-7 06:52
On my system,  I have to have the app connected to the p3s via the controller wifi.  To get it to  ...

Yes exactly that
2015-10-6
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The P3 S has always been updated over the air via the app, the Pro and Advance has been via SD Card only, I have seen reports of this may also come the the Pro and Advance in the future.
2015-10-6
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-10-7 08:19
The P3 S has always been updated over the air via the app, the Pro and Advance has been via SD Card  ...

you are correct - check the date of the original post - this was the first firmware update on the Standard
2015-10-7
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Ok,  thought so.  Yes,  it worked well for me also. Mostly automatic and worked the first time.
2015-10-7
Use props
jjjuho
New

Finland

So how do you perform firmware upgrade for only gimbal parts? It says in the software that I should look from DJI Academy, but I can find no information anywhere... I crashed my P3S and ordered new gimbal, installed it and now it says I need to upgrade it... but how?

Its really a shame how badly all this stuff is documented, they should really try harder to make users find answers to their problems. Take for example how to install replacement parts, theres no videos made by DJI... only user made content.

2015-11-4
Use props
rwtsmoke
lvl.1

United States

I have the Standard but unfortunately wasn't so lucky. I started the firmware upgrade (1.2.40) via the app...it made it to about 21% and failed. It said to try again later...which i did. Now when I fire up the drone it makes a very loud "urgent" beep and i get no lights. I connect to the controller, connect to the app, connect to the drone and try again and now it says something about "not getting info from the device"

I've got a full controller battery, full drone battery, full android battery and strong wi fi connection...but i'm stuck, i've been trying for a couple hours and continue to get the same result. I have updated firmware versions in the past via the app and it's been fine...

Any thoughts???
2015-11-28
Use props
je1010
New
United States

rwtsmoke@cs.com Posted at 2015-11-28 10:29
I have the Standard but unfortunately wasn't so lucky. I started the firmware upgrade (1.2.40) via t ...

"I have the Standard but unfortunately wasn't so lucky. I started the firmware upgrade (1.2.40) via the app...it made it to about 21% and failed. It said to try again later...which i did. Now when I fire up the drone it makes a very loud "urgent" beep and i get no lights. I connect to the controller, connect to the app, connect to the drone and try again and now it says something about "not getting info from the device"

Same here with my P3S. It wanted an upgrade today which the DJI GO app dl’d from the internet. When transferring to the aircraft it failed. Tried again, but after about 15-20 min the gimbal started pitching up & down rapidly for about 15 min without progress. SoI powered off. Now the ac BEEPs continuously, whether or not the remote is on/off.

So I copied the new P3C_FW_V01.02.0040.bin file from my android DJI folder to the uSD card (and deleted the old bin file).  Didn’t help. BEEPS forever. Even if I remove the uSD card completely, the ac just BEEPs loudly. I uninstalled/reinstalled the DGI GO app and still no go.

Now whenever I connect remote-ac-phone and start DJI GO it shows Update Required on the connect screen. Fine. But when I attempt it, I always get

--- Battery Level Below 50% ---

even though both batts are 4 greens and phone is >80%.

I inserted a previous uSD card (8 GB) that was working a few days ago. Same problem: Batts below 50% false error msg.

There are 2 micro USB ports on the ac but I gather DJI won’t let us use them. (I installed DJI NAZA Assistant but it won’t connect with either port.)

Help!
2015-11-28
Use props
rwtsmoke
lvl.1

United States

Yup, I got the same behavior with the gimbal when it hit 21%...I didn't think it was a good sign when the gimbal went batshit crazy, and it turns out it wasn't. I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the GO app as well as trying the upgrade from the SD card...neither worked.
However, I don't get anything about battery levels...I just get the "not getting info from the device"

Any help would be appreciated until I can try to get someone on the phone from support Monday...but I don't have a lot of faith in that.
2015-11-28
Use props
je1010
New
United States

je1010@gmail.co Posted at 2015-11-28 15:58
"I have the Standard but unfortunately wasn't so lucky. I started the firmware upgrade (1.2.40) vi ...

Well, I finally got it working. Hours of loud urgent BEEPing in the meanwhile....

It seemed I had to try just about everything.  I kept getting the Battery less than 50% full message, but I entered camera mode and would get the required update msg. Then back to the connect screen, over and over again to try the update.

I just kept doing it over and over: I tried to update and then enter camera mode, ignoring the Update Required red bar and the low batt error. I even charged my phone to 100% and left it on the charger.  So it seems that the 50% Battery Low message not only is bogus but that it happens accidentally.

In other words, I just keep trying and it finally showed a blue xx% Uploading bar! Took about 20 minutes to complete. It now works.

Almost.

Now EVERY time I connect and start the DJI GO app, I see the Update Required msg. I ignore it and go to Camera View, where the familiar red Update Required warning flashes for a few seconds, then shows the Safe to Fly green bar. Go figure. This happens every time I start from scratch. Even if I format the uSD card or use the old card or new one, nothing changes. Still tells me it needs an upgrade, which I have to ignore.

DJI did a wonderful thing is providing WiFi update --- except when it fails. Others have experienced this too. It clearly needs a non-WiFi mode as backup for when their complex system breaks.

I should add I went through a similar fail-to-upgrade right out of the box. Took me about 4 days of trying all kinds of stuff to get flying.  I was just about to return it to Amazon.

DJI is 0 for 2.
2015-11-28
Use props
rwtsmoke
lvl.1

United States

Well like je1010 above, with a little perseverance I was also able to successfully upload the firmware. In case someone finds themselves in the same boat as I was, here is what I did...

I found another micro SD card and mounted it via my home computer. Then I stripped the downloaded .bin file from my Android that was within the GO app. and put that on desktop of my computer. Then I transferred that .bin file onto the SD card. Unmounted the micro SD and placed into the slot in the camera on the drone.

I fired up the drone and again got the annoying "urgent" beeping...I placed it in a closet and shut the door so I wouldn't have to listen to it, when I checked on it about 20 minutes later, the beeping had stopped and the lights on the drone were flashing so I new it was doing something...which was a good thing.

I let it go for another half hour or so but noticed my drone battery getting low. I turned the drone off, installed a fresh battery but this time when I turned it on I also turned on the controller and connected as usual via my Android and the GO app. The good news was the drone fired up normally, the app was telling me an upgrade was required I hit okay (or whatever the prompt was) and this time it blew from 0 to 100% within 10 seconds...said it was successful and to restart the drone, which I did.

So all seems well at this point, I guess I need to recalibrate the compass and a couple other things thing and hopefully when I put it up in the air all will be good.   
2015-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules