Data cable incompatible with my Otterbox phone protector. Alterna...
479 7 2023-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Treb
lvl.2
United States

The Otterbox phone case for my Samsung Note 20 (a supported phone), does not work with the DJI controller data cable suppllied with my DJI MINI 2 SE, because the cable's cord makes an immediate right turn out of the socket, which crashes into the case.

Does anyone know of a good replacement cable that goes straight, so that wouldn't be a problem?

O̶r̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶c̶h̶n̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶  ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶N̶o̶t̶e̶  ̶2̶0̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶J̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶r̶?̶ ̶U̶S̶B̶-̶C̶ ̶t̶o̶  ̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶U̶S̶B̶-̶B̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶i̶?̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶.̶.̶.̶?̶

Oh, I see - I need USB-C to USB-C. Looks like THIS would work, but is a foot long: https://www.amazon.com/Poyiccot-Degree-Angled-Type-C-Charging/dp/B07QYPZBNH

Looks like this would work better (6 inches): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKGPS46J

2023-11-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It depends on why your cable will not work with the case.
Many cases prevent the plug from going deep enough into the socket to make suitable contact.
I suspect all plugs are manufactured to specified, standardised dimensions so you may have to enlarge the opening in the case or find another case.
2023-11-26
Use props
Treb
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-26 11:04
It depends on why your cable will not work with the case.
Many cases prevent the plug from going deep enough into the socket to make suitable contact.
I suspect all plugs are manufactured to specified, standardised dimensions so you may have to enlarge the opening in the case or find another case.

Right, thanks.

In my case, it's because the supplied cord has 90 degree turns immediately on the plugs, and my Otterbox has strong plastic ridge shields on both sides of the USB port. The protected port works with other USB cables I have that don't turn, so I think almost any straight cable will work, as long as the "controller side" labeling on the DJI plug is not some other issue.
2023-11-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Treb Posted at 11-26 12:50
Right, thanks.

In my case, it's because the supplied cord has 90 degree turns immediately on the plugs, and my Otterbox has strong plastic ridge shields on both sides of the USB port. The protected port works with other USB cables I have that don't turn, so I think almost any straight cable will work, as long as the "controller side" labeling on the DJI plug is not some other issue.

Fair enough.
2023-11-26
Use props
TimothyMirandaa
New

India

To resolve the compatibility issue, you need a USB-C to USB-C cable. The 90-degree angled design is suitable to avoid interference with your Otterbox case. The 6-inch cable you found on Amazon seems like a better fit for your setup, providing the needed flexibility without excess length.
2023-12-6
Use props
Treb
lvl.2
United States

I just tried out the straight-connector 6-inch cable. It barely works, but it works.

The problem is that 6 inches is only barely right with right-angle connectors. With a straight connector, it'd be best with a 7-8" cable, but I'm not sure if anyone makes or sells that.

Also, with the Otterbox on the phone, the brace to hold it has to be stretched out about as far as it seems to want to go. And in order for the 6" cable to work, the phone needs to be moved an inch or so left of center, which is a bit awkward, but it seems to function ok.
2023-12-6
Use props
JeremyB31
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1364560 ft
United States

My Samsung A14 didn't fit in the holder well with the protective case(too thick) on it but there is no issue with my A32.  Could you open up the hole for the USB on the otterbox so the factory wire would work?
2023-12-6
Use props
Treb
lvl.2
United States

I could, but it'd be some serious surgery. That's a hard plastic bulkhead, so it'd take something like a hot knife or serious sawing/dremel tool, and it'd remove a fair amount of the protective strength from that side.

For now, I think the way I have it with the phone shifted to one side works ok. The USB cable I ordered came in a 2-pack, so if one dies due to the tight plug-in, I may try something else. I can also remove the Otterbox but it's kind of a pain to do, and I might end up dropping my phone while it's unprotected . . .
2023-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules