Waypoints - DJI can do better!!
584 4 2023-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phatav8r60
lvl.2
United States

I love the waypoint feature, and I love the OTG way it works from the controller.  That said, DJI isn't putting in the time to produce a A grade experience here.  It's more of a B to B-, and mostly because there are software out there like Litchi (which for some stupid reason isn't compatible with the mini 4 pro), where you can create, modify, and even virtually fly your waypoint route from your desktop or ipad.

Why DJI? why?  is it that hard to produce a waypoint tool associated with any drone that can use the technology, and allow us to tune and refine our waypoint missions?  

And another bother is that waypoint missions have far too much 'drift'.  I have a mission I've been flying for over a month, it's recording the progress of construction on a building.  But, it seems that the drone and controller have no clue where the home point and waypoints are in respect to each other.  If the home point sets itself very different, the view from each waypoint can differ by 10-15 meters, and that of course changes the perspective if it's supposed to be looking at POI 1, and hovering at WP 6.

Anyway, maybe others have experienced this, but I'm seriously looking forward to DJI going the next step and providing the app or web tool to modify and update missions without requiring fat fingers to try and move waypoints or change the data in each one..
2023-11-28
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

I've noticed that GPS accuracy can be off by as much as 10 meters horizontally on occasion. If I really want precision, I have to use my drones with RTK.
Vertical precision is another issue - since our Mini drones use a barometer to measure height - flying a saved mission from one day to the next will result in different heights whenever there's a change in air pressure.
Have you noticed if your precision varies with the number of satellites in view or is it always bad?
2023-11-28
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Is the waypoint system easy enough to emulate the way a Mini 2 can rotate, while its doing RTH?

I really miss that feature in the Mini 3P. It's really great to have the drone look after the flying, while you just look around. The excuse for not doing it in the M3P was collision avoidance, but the M3 non-pro doesn't have any of that.
2023-11-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello! Thank you for providing your feedback on our Waypoint feature. We always value our customer's feedback, and please be assured that this will be recorded for future reference. Furthermore, would it be possible for you to provide a short video showing the drifting phenomenon? You may consider using Google Drive or Dropbox to upload your video. I hope to hear from you soon.
2023-11-29
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
United States

The phenomenon I am mentioning is that when my drone and controller start up, don't know the issue, but it takes forever to for the actual map to come up.  Mine always is oriented somewhere off the coast of Africa.  I've never had a drone where the map took so long to update - THIS is what affects my home point starting the flight, and when the home point, even if it's over the same point on the ground is off 5-10m, then the waypoints all are off by the same amount.  That is what I call the 'drift effect', but it's caused by the map updating and timing and where it sets the home point.  
2023-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules