The Pocket 3 is now a four-channel audio recorder with video!
4683 24 2023-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The latest FW allows the camera to record stereo audio in wav format  from the 3 internal mics, while recording the external wireless mic to  the video track, or a mono or stereo external usb-c mic.  So you now have a  four channel audio recorder with video.  Interesting!  

The  wave file created from its internal mics is 16bit, 48kHz.  The audio  component of the video file created from an external USB-C mic (in my  test, a Zoom M3 stereio shotgun mic/recorder) is AAC LC 317 kb/s at 48Khz.  So the  actual format of the audio files isn't spectacular but still usable.   However, the Zoom M3 can of course not only feed the camera but it can  record 32 bit float internally at the same time.  So one way and  another, you would get an interesting choice of options for the audio  source(s) of the final edited production.  

Another option that would almost certainly work would be to use a Sennheiser Ambeo binaural mic (tested by me with the Action 2, not yet with the Pocket 3 but highly likely to work) as the external mic, so in post-production you could at any time use the binaural mic as the audio source, or the internal mics.  Usually, your own speech when recorded with binaural mics doesn't come out that clearly, but for the bits where you spoke to camera, you could mix in the internal mics to taste.  Unfortunately my Ambeo headsets are 50km away from here at the moment so it will be some days before I can do a practical test of that option.

Of course the DJI wireless mic can also be used in this configuration too.

Really, DJI sure does innovate!

2023-11-29
Use props
PROFIMC
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi

How do you use binural mics in windy conditions?

Could you show me how you carry the Poket 3 and M3 Recorder together? Do you have a special handle or stand?
2023-11-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2023-11-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The binaural mics I use have wind muffs but I wouldn't use them in high winds.  In this video I just held the two units as best I could - almost all my gear is 50km away at the moment, including stands etc so I just had to manage!
2023-11-29
Use props
PROFIMC
lvl.2
Netherlands

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-29 20:31
The binaural mics I use have wind muffs but I wouldn't use them in high winds.  In this video I just held the two units as best I could - almost all my gear is 50km away at the moment, including stands etc so I just had to manage!

I am also the owner of these two gadgets. Now I'm wondering how I can fit them in one hand. And I can't find any compact solutions. Only Ulanzi PT-8 1655

I also have binural headphone mics. But it's difficult to use them in winter: the wind and my ears freeze.
2023-11-29
Use props
PROFIMC
lvl.2
Netherlands

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-29 20:31

I just thought of another option:

1. Flip the M3 mount
2. Use the Fujimi FJ-1414 adapter
3. Mount the Pocket 3 on top

Yeah, the buttons won't be as easy to use. But for long scenes (more than 10 minutes) it's not bad!)
2023-11-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We appreciate your valued feedback and we're happy that you are satisfied with the latest firmware update for the DJI Osmo Pocket 3. Rest assured that we will continue to provide the best features base on our customer's suggestions. For more information about the new update of the DJI Osmo Pocket 3, you may click the thread below. Feel free to contact us if you have any inquiries. Have a nice day ahead!

https://forum.dji.com/thread-300341-1-1.html
2023-11-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But they still haven't given us the option to mute the microphones.
2023-11-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 11-30 01:03
But they still haven't given us the option to mute the microphones.

Genuine question - wouldn't that be straightforward in editing?  But I guess if you needed silent audio in unedited footage, well, mute would be handy.  But it would need something dispayed on screen to ensure you hadn't muted them by accident!
2023-11-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-30 02:26
Genuine question - wouldn't that be straightforward in editing?  But I guess if you needed silent audio in unedited footage, well, mute would be handy.  But it would need something dispayed on screen to ensure you hadn't muted them by accident!

There's no option to edit if you're in live stream mode.  
2023-11-30
Use props
janoroh
New
Flight distance : 394 ft
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-29 22:58
Hi there. We appreciate your valued feedback and we're happy that you are satisfied with the latest firmware update for the DJI Osmo Pocket 3. Rest assured that we will continue to provide the best features base on our customer's suggestions. For more information about the new update of the DJI Osmo Pocket 3, you may click the thread below. Feel free to contact us if you have any inquiries. Have a nice day ahead!

https://forum.dji.com/thread-300341-1-1.html

The new update is great, but I'm confused as to why the internal recording even saves a wav file if no external mic (USB or wireless) is connected. It doesn't really make sense since in that case, it just records the same audio that is on the video anyway. The firmware changelog makes it seem like the option, when turned on, saves an additional track from the internal mics if an external mic is connected, but it actually *always* saves that track when turned on. So if you don't want to unnecessarily fill up your SD card, you always have to turn the internal backup recording off if no external mic is connected. Could this maybe be changed or could there be an additional switch that would allow us to always leave it on but have it only save the backup track if an external mic is actually connected? That would be even more awesome.
2023-11-30
Use props
janoroh
New
Flight distance : 394 ft
Germany

Sorry, accidental double post.
2023-11-30
Use props
Thevion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 549925 ft
Poland

How did you enable the option to record separate tracks from each microphone to the WAV file? I have the latest FW and when I have an external microphone connected, I have mono sound in the separate WAV file
2023-11-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

PROFIMC Posted at 11-29 20:52
I just thought of another option:

1. Flip the M3 mount

It is one of the few downsides of the M3 that it can't easily be mounted from the top, due to the layout of the buttons there.  I did recently buy an alternative mount which had some potential but it's still not brilliant.  Another way of going about it is to use one of those short strips of metal with a tripod screw at each end, so that one end is screwed into the base of the P3 and mic attaches to the other end using the clip as intended.  The mic can end up projecting to the left or right side but that shouldn't have a significant effect on the stereo image.  Currently all my gear apart from te M3 and the P3 is the other side of town so I can't put such a rig together for a photo at the moment.
2023-11-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 11-30 02:30
There's no option to edit if you're in live stream mode.

Ah.  I had forgotten about that.  Good point.
2023-11-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

janoroh Posted at 11-30 03:04
The new update is great, but I'm confused as to why the internal recording even saves a wav file if no external mic (USB or wireless) is connected. It doesn't really make sense since in that case, it just records the same audio that is on the video anyway. The firmware changelog makes it seem like the option, when turned on, saves an additional track from the internal mics if an external mic is connected, but it actually *always* saves that track when turned on. So if you don't want to unnecessarily fill up your SD card, you always have to turn the internal backup recording off if no external mic is connected. Could this maybe be changed or could there be an additional switch that would allow us to always leave it on but have it only save the backup track if an external mic is actually connected? That would be even more awesome.

Well, having an uncompressed version of the audio in wave format might please some, who might prefer to ditch the audio embedded in the video file.  AAC audio is data compressed of course, and when you edit it, it is likely to go through a decoding and encoding process which is at least in theory going to degrade the audio a bit.  But I take your point - it would be convenient to have options to turn it on always, or only when external audio is present, or off.  Meanwhile, it just has to be enabled and disabled by hand as appropriate.

Here comes a bit of wild speculation - at launch one reputable reviewer said that he had been told by DJI that 32 bit float might become available on the camera itself, not just on the mic.  If so you would need to have a 32 bit float wave file created alongside the video file... so perhaps this is stage one of that plan, and soon there will be an option to enable or diable 32 bit float as well as enabling the creation of that file as at present.  Hmmm...
2023-11-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thevion Posted at 11-30 03:55
How did you enable the option to record separate tracks from each microphone to the WAV file? I have the latest FW and when I have an external microphone connected, I have mono sound in the separate WAV file

I can only assume that you've set it to mono in the main audio options.

[Edited to add that actually you had me worried, and I have just created a new wave file, talking into either side of the camera, and it's quite definitely stereo.]

2023-11-30
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 162270 ft
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-29 20:29
https://youtu.be/5y1lKZSmn-8

Thanks - good video and straight to the point.
2023-11-30
Use props
Rishio
lvl.3
Taiwan

I do single person interviews with the DJI Pocket 3. I sit behind the camera, and ask questions to someone with the wireless mic placed on them. The problem has been that since there is no second wireless mic available, I’d have to do a voiceover to get the audio from my question into the interview. I was desperately waiting for the second wireless mic to solve this issue. The good thing about having the internal camera record audio is, since I sit right behind the camera, I can now get high quality audio from my subject with the wireless mic, and high quality audio from myself with the build in mic, and put it together in post. Game-changer and extremely useful for me. Not needing a second wireless mic is really nice - simplifying my setup, though I may still get it depending on how well this works day to day and for additional flexibility in case I want to interview two people with this format.
2023-11-30
Use props
PenguinSix
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if they fixed the low volume problem people are reporting.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 775&pid=3184735
2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

janoroh Posted at 11-30 03:04
The new update is great, but I'm confused as to why the internal recording even saves a wav file if no external mic (USB or wireless) is connected. It doesn't really make sense since in that case, it just records the same audio that is on the video anyway. The firmware changelog makes it seem like the option, when turned on, saves an additional track from the internal mics if an external mic is connected, but it actually *always* saves that track when turned on. So if you don't want to unnecessarily fill up your SD card, you always have to turn the internal backup recording off if no external mic is connected. Could this maybe be changed or could there be an additional switch that would allow us to always leave it on but have it only save the backup track if an external mic is actually connected? That would be even more awesome.

Thank you for your feedback We will surely forward this to our developers for attention. If you have other suggestions or concerns, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-12-1
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-1 05:53
Thank you for your feedback We will surely forward this to our developers for attention. If you have other suggestions or concerns, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead.

DJI, please do not change this feature!  I have been touting it all over the internet as a major upgrade to the Pocket 3, enabling lossy AAC audio to be ditched in favour of lossless wave format.  AAC has traditionally been used with video in order to save space on the memory card, but those days are gone.  There is no excuse for using lossy audio in serious productions, and the new wave backup file mechanism at last gives videographers the chance to get rid of AAC in their productions.  Anyone who doesn't want the option should simply turn it off - not a big deal!

[Edited to add that I only just discovered that GoPro have offered the option to record audio to wave files for some years...]

2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-1 14:21
DJI, please do not change this feature!  I have been touting it all over the internet as a major upgrade to the Pocket 3, enabling lossy AAC audio to be ditched in favour of lossless wave format.  AAC has traditionally been used with video in order to save space on the memory card, but those days are gone.  There is no excuse for using lossy audio in serious productions, and the new wave backup file mechanism at last gives videographers the chance to get rid of AAC in their productions.  Anyone who doesn't want the option should simply turn it off - not a big deal!

[Edited to add that I only just discovered that GoPro have offered the option to record audio to wave files for some years...]

Thank you for your response. Rest assured that this feedback will be recorded. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Happy filming!
2023-12-4
Use props
warnersmith323
lvl.1

Bangladesh

This is exciting news about the DJI Pocket 3's new firmware update and its expanded audio recording capabilities! It's great to see that DJI continues to innovate and push the boundaries of what's possible with a small camera.
2023-12-13
Use props
Irish Mafia
lvl.1
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 11-29 20:29
https://youtu.be/5y1lKZSmn-8

Great stuff!  Good job!

How do you embed a YT into a discussion group post?   I tested USB plus Wireless...  I was HAPPY to learn the wireless Mic and the USB Mic worked together, so that's 2 channels.  I did not notice a 3rd (local Mic) channel.  Is that encoded in the video or as a .Wav file you have to add it Post?  Once we get that 2nd wireless Mic, I'm hoping, there'll be at least 3 channels.  I wish they'd change the firmware with the option to use or not use the local mic along with USB C and Wireless.
2023-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules