Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Obstacle avoidance downward (terrain following) ?
1154 8 2023-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ollie7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116362 ft
Germany

Hello everyone!

If the obstacle avoidance is switched on, the drone flies around obstacles.
A sensor is also directed downwards and now I ask myself, whether the drone avoids the ground when flying low.
This means that it flies higher when the ground gets closer, e.g. on a bump or on a slope.
Have any of you tried this yet?

@DJI: A new feature could be a terrain following function

2023-11-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At what horizontal speed and how low do you propose to fly. Landing protection will fly my Mini 1 & 2 & M2P/Z up a slope but ONLY at low horizontal speed.
Put a box or something on the ground and fly over it with a 6" clearance and see what the drones response and response time is.
2023-11-30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Dear customer, we appreciate your suggestion.  However, don't be a cheapskate, take out your wallet and spend as much money as possible on enterprise range products that will give you complete satisfaction regarding terrain follow feature.  Thanks for support.
2023-11-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 11-30 11:47
Dear customer, we appreciate your suggestion.  However, don't be a cheapskate, take out your wallet and spend as much money as possible on enterprise range products that will give you complete satisfaction regarding terrain follow feature.  Thanks for support.

2023-11-30
Use props
ollie7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116362 ft
Germany

So this means, that the downward obstacle avoidance is designed for landing purposes and not avoid crashing into the ground ?
2023-11-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ollie7 Posted at 11-30 13:09
So this means, that the downward obstacle avoidance is designed for landing purposes and not avoid crashing into the ground ?

I don't think it is designed to prevent crashing into the ground whilst moving horizontally at speed.
Try the experiment suggested in post 2 and you will be able to judge for yourself.
2023-11-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
France

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-30 11:41
At what horizontal speed and how low do you propose to fly. Landing protection will fly my Mini 1 & 2 & M2P/Z up a slope but ONLY at low horizontal speed.
Put a box or something on the ground and fly over it with a 6" clearance and see what the drones response and response time is.

FYI, the Mini 2 is so much better at following the slope at its lowest height then the Mini 3 Pro, i don't know about the Mini 4 Pro though...
2023-11-30
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
France

ollie7 Posted at 11-30 13:09

Primarily yes.

But if flying slow enough then it may follow the terrain, i mean crawling speed if its like the Mini 3 Pro.
If its like the Mini 2 then its a bit faster, as to the exact speeds, i never did look, sorry.
2023-11-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Mini 4 Pro is equipped with a TOF infrared sensor and a downward sensor which will keep a fixed minimum distance for safety. Please note that the DJI Mini 4 Pro does not have the option to turn on the Terrain Follow, but this feature is active in ActiveTrack Mode, allowing the drone to automatically ascend and descend with respect to the terrain in regions with relatively modest slopes. Please refer to the user manual for more information.

Note: There is no fixed slope angle value for this mode. We recommend using your drone in areas with a slope angle no greater than 40%.
2023-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules