Question About Raised Arms
2168 6 2014-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

This is something that I've been wondering about since the first time I saw the Inspire:

When the arms raise up, the camera gets the unobstructed view. However, my concern is: In the event of a sudden loss of power or crash, the camera/gimbal looks pretty vulnerable down there, and would take the brunt of the crash force.

Is there some kind of "failsafe" that would lower the arms quickly in the even of a crash/power-loss?

And on that subject, can one fly the Inspire in the safer, "arms down" configuration?

Thanks
2014-12-9
Use props
ambambcopter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

All the videos I have seen tend to indicate you can choose when to lift the arms.
But in auto, land/take-off operates the arms regardless, I think.
I bet that because of the extra power the Inspire has.
DJI come up with a recovery chute option later on.
At least one can hope.
2014-12-10
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

ambambcopter@bt Posted at 2014-12-10 16:33
All the videos I have seen tend to indicate you can choose when to lift the arms.
But in auto, land/ ...

I read the optical sensors will drop the landing gearr automatically I just can point you to where I read it.
Hope this helps
2014-12-18
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

ambambcopter@bt Posted at 2014-12-10 16:33
But in auto, land/ ...

not sure the details but dii has a recovery chute system that will be available..but i am not sure it if will work for the inspire. i was checking out options online today. looks like there are a few out there. one of which weighs over a pound. seems like that would hamper flight time a bit.
personally i think i will get one. this baby would be REALLY broken in a hard crash.
2014-12-19
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

can you provide some links to the recovery chute >??
2014-12-19
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

The Inspire1 will not survive a crash even as well as a Phantom.
Skip to 21:30 in the video below where Eric Cheng warns that the Insire1 is not very crash resistant.

Inspire1 is a prosumer product.
It really needs to be flown by an experienced multirotor pilot.
Good pilot skills are your best crash prevention measure.
TahoeEd has reported that I1 is very responsive and loaded with power.

Also, replacement parts are not goping to be cheap...

And, BTW, the recovery chute (DropSafe) was announced some time ago, but has not been released.
It is designed for the larger, professional grade multirotors such as S800, S900, S1000.
I don't see how there's room for it on the Inspire1.

2014-12-21
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-12-22 00:53
The Inspire1 will not survive a crash even as well as a Phantom.
Skip to 21:30 in the video below wh ...

This was good info T.J. to absorb, but I agree I don't see any retrofit for the chute to the inspire 1 also I would have to see data on the success of the chute, so many factors happened before a wreck. I also see Eric Chin saying that the inspire 1 isn't for the beginner that why the have the Phantom and the P2V+ was very delicate as well the gimbal would pull apart in the slights crash and would cost above 650.00 to replace that saying that you didn't rip out any connections on the main board. I have to say every time I pilot a drone I have a flight plan thought out before I start, now with saying that anything can happen and don't for get motor failure this thing will drop like a rock or that pesky bird that attacked your drone, I guess what I am saying anything can happen and there is no real world safety device in the world that can save them all. Now on to the good, I was really glad to hear Eric Chin talk about in that interview that Collision Avoidance Systems are on the rise and that is going to be a huge mild stone for Drone Safety, We as the consumer that spent allot of money including me ($7,500.00) for the inspire 1 project i am hoping DJI start to make retrofit for this Version instead of a complete purchase to upgrade I would like to think they know where the consumer is at on the Inspire 1, and I look forward to there upgrade in the years to come and hope it doesn't take a complete purchase.
2014-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules