Follow Me Mode? More like do nothing and then Fly away mode.
12Next >
7109 52 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

What the Efff DJI! You promise us these features for months and when they finally come out they don't work and possibly put your bird at risk. I flew my P3 to a height of 150ft and turn on follow me and despite having a mobile device strenght of "stong" and having connection to 15 sattelites it starts only going in mygeneral direction for about 20 feet and stops. I turn around and head about 250 feet in the other direction. The P3 stays still. I walk to its location and try again. I make it to the end of my yard and turn around. It starts to follow me and as Im walking it flys past me and starts flying away. I suddenldy smash the Go To Home button and it comes back and I land it. Whats the deal! Did I do something wrong or is Follow me this buggy for everyone else? The wind was calm so that wasn't the problem. Now Im just afraid to fly at all.

2015-9-7
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is your tablet/smartphone GPS enabled and if so, is it enabled?
2015-9-7
Use props
lbram1
New
Flight distance : 572818 ft
United States

where do you see the new features?  I can't even find them on the app.
2015-9-7
Use props
PerlanSwed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1086257 ft
Sweden

I have run a lot of follow me without any problem at all. Upload the video from your follow me experience and maybe we can suggest what went wrong for you.
2015-9-7
Use props
Akaemit02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5894029 ft
United States

lbram1 Posted at 2015-9-7 16:14

Have to set the remote to F mode then the options will pop up..you also have to be in the air
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

What mobile device, and how did you check the gps signal on it ?
2015-9-7
Use props
lbram1
New
Flight distance : 572818 ft
United States

Akaemit02 Posted at 2015-9-7 16:25
Have to set the remote to F mode then the options will pop up..you also have to be in the air

Thank you, I just figured out the F mode setting.  That was a frustrating hour plus of research!
2015-9-7
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-7 16:37
What mobile device, and how did you check the gps signal on it ?

LG G2 and it tells you your mobile devices signal strength on screen.
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Cell phone reception and GPS isn't the same thing..also LG G2 is not a recommended device to begin with.

But sharing a video of the flight might help, also the flight log.
2015-9-7
Use props
me
lvl.4
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

so am i right in if you have an ipad mini wifi only the follow me feature will not work ? does the wifi only model even have true gps

2015-9-7
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
United States

flight log
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... _%5B15-36-08%5D.txt
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Yes you need a device with GPS receiver, the Wifi model lacks that...

You can of course get one, but then you won't be able to connect to the RC..

EDIT: It does say the Bad Elf GPS unit has a pass thru port... for charging. Not sure if it will connect to the RC properly though.

2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Brandon00151 Posted at 2015-9-7 22:56
flight log
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33460250/DJIFlightRecord_2015-09-07_%5B15-36-08%5D. ...

Can see the data here

2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

You did have weak GPS signal at one point at least.

2015-9-7
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
United States

My device DOES have GPS
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Yes i was replying to the post above your's..
2015-9-7
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

lbram1 Posted at 2015-9-7 14:14

Read up on the new functions and how to use them at this excellent post by splooge.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-29855-1-1.html
2015-9-7
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

My follow me does not function properly. Keep getting weak gps in the middle of the country. Not sure what that's about. It's a little disappointing but I am going to keep working on it. Do you guys think airplane mode needs to be on to help with the signal strength? To help with interference? I haven't tried that. But, all of my devices lose GPS and resets the "follow me".
2015-9-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Follow me is always an accident waiting to happen - which is why DJI was so reluctant to put it in. But everyone demanded it.

I would never use in anything but a desert or 1000+ acres of flat cleared land.
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-8 01:32
My follow me does not function properly. Keep getting weak gps in the middle of the country. Not sur ...

Airplane mode on iOS devices will turn off GPS.. so no it won't help. A thing to keep in mind is that Follow me rely very much on the GPS on the device you are using. And there for the result will vary  A LOT!

2015-9-7
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-8 07:42
Airplane mode on iOS devices will turn off GPS.. so no it won't help. A thing to keep in mind is th ...

I'm on Android and you can toggle GPS back on after turning on airplane mode. I used 3 different devices with the same result. There are some trees around but I was not directly under any. I will test it more in the days to come.
2015-9-7
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-9-8 07:42
Follow me is always an accident waiting to happen - which is why DJI was so reluctant to put it in.  ...

I want to use it at 200 feet elevation. On a boat and things like that. It can definitely be dangerous at low elevation.
2015-9-7
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-7 18:42
Airplane mode on iOS devices will turn off GPS.. so no it won't help. A thing to keep in mind is th ...

On my Android device, in airplane mode,  GPS stays on,  may not update the Sat map due to no data, but still works.
2015-9-7
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-7 19:32
My follow me does not function properly. Keep getting weak gps in the middle of the country. Not sur ...

my follow me works just perfect, no signal issues. But then jim, u know i use apple from my apple orchard up north!!
u guys just keep on fighting with the unsupported droids, or supported for that matter!!! god bless you guys, god bless you
2015-9-7
Use props
Akaemit02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5894029 ft
United States

I have used the waypoitns and POI with no issues. Follow me on the other hand not so good.  I was in an open field and my signal got weak... word of advice if you ever have a problem in one of the flight modes just switch it back to G and it will cancel and lock its position. I also noticed the new features put more strain on the device and temp goes up quick..
2015-9-7
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-8 01:58
I'm on Android and you can toggle GPS back on after turning on airplane mode. I used 3 different d ...

Yes i clearly stated iOS devices, BUT again the follow me mode rely's on the GPS on your device simple as that. Thus the result vill vary A LOT!!

Add to the fact people use devices not recommended for the DJI GO app.

Personally i couldn't care less about the follow me feature. But for those who do care, i think you should get you expectations in line with reality. DJI can be held responsible for a lot of things, but the GPS performance of your tablet, or interference in the are you fly is not one of them.

2015-9-7
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-8 04:57
Yes you need a device with GPS receiver, the Wifi model lacks that...

You can of course get one, bu ...

"Yes you need a device with GPS receiver, the Wifi model lacks that..."
Crap, more surprises. Will waypoints work with an Ipad w/ wifi only?
2015-9-7
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-9-7 21:42
"Yes you need a device with GPS receiver, the Wifi model lacks that..."
Crap, more surprises. Will ...

yes LP it does work without gps on device. it is  not doing  any following of the tablet/phone.
in fact once initiated, if it looses connection to rc it will carry on with the path. i would set the option to return home once finished instead of hover at the end. in case there is a rc connection while on the predefined path.
2015-9-7
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-8 09:04
my follow me works just perfect, no signal issues. But then jim, u know i use apple from my apple  ...

:@ Ray! Enough of that!
2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

well wait its gonna get better for all the droiders with these new features!! i wont stop till u buy an apple!
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-7 18:49
yes LP it does work without gps on device. it is  not doing  any following of the tablet/phone.
in ...

Good idea, I was thinking the same thing for RTH at the end of a WP mission.
2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-9 10:26
Good idea, I was thinking the same thing for RTH at the end of a WP mission.

dave, dji-tim had put up a quick tutorial oif the 5 functions, yesterday. but after a little while it disappeared. ive asked him where it went to, as i thought it was very good and to the point. there were some language issues but overall i thought they were good.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-8 19:30
dave, dji-tim had put up a quick tutorial oif the 5 functions, yesterday. but after a little while ...

Sorry, I never did see it, yesterday was a long day, I was on the forms till late into the night.  

He might have been asked to pull it by the higher-ups. Maybe there was something that was not accurate.

Dave
2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-9 11:46
Sorry, I never did see it, yesterday was a long day, I was on the forms till late into the night.  ...

well i thought it was good, but yes couple things that people would have gone crazy over:
she said turn on p3 and then rc. but she did it the right wy, rc first then p3
couple of language issues
but over all it was quick and very easy to unserstand
oh well, now it will come back, will take for ever and no one can follow it!!
2015-9-8
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

hi all,

i am not going to say anything about follow-me as i haven't been blessed with being able to test it yet.
(edit: almost forgot. Thank You DJI, for your continuous improvements on a great flying platform!!)

BUT

in regard to all of this craziness with turning on airplane mode, on off features in phones and all of that - it seems a bit over the top. i have an apple watch on my wrist, an iphone 6+, with me at all times & an ipad air 2. (i switch between the devices for flying in different circumstances) anyway, i sometimes have friends/ family/ onlookers who all have phones attached to their faces non-stop. anyway, i have never experienced even a hiccup with interference from a device, or feature, nearby. even when flying with other Phantom pilots standing near to me.

obviously there is a possibility of interference, but it is just that. kind of like a tree could fall on you too in the forest. it is there, but by no way a certainty.

ok, enough ranting about that. just trying to calm some of the worries.

on to the gps of it all. most mobile phone use a-gps to keep good signal coverage on a constant basis. hoping you know what a-gps is, but quick and dirty - it uses cell towers & an internet connection to augment the quality & speed of the "gps" positioning.
Both the LG G2 & Apple products use this... (amongst countless others)

by putting your phone/device into airplane mode you are putting yourself at risk for poor "gps reception". & not really accomplishing much else (other than keeping the wife/ significant other from bothering you whilst you fly)

just my 2-cents.
2015-9-9
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-9-7 18:42
Follow me is always an accident waiting to happen - which is why DJI was so reluctant to put it in.  ...

I agree.  I will have to be in the middle of "no where!" to use the Follow Me and then what's the point!  But POI and Waypoints I have already used.
2015-9-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-9 10:13
well wait its gonna get better for all the droiders with these new features!! i wont stop till u b ...

I want to try one first Ray. Come visit!
2015-9-9
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-9-10 07:58
I want to try one first Ray. Come visit!

jim, i ll buy you one, as soon as i kick my kids out of the house, only thing is the youngest is 5.
but i will come and visit and let you use mine. im only using the 6+ but should be buying an air2 any day soon, as soon as apple brings out the new ipad, the air2 will drop in price.
now, i do what i say jim. so dont be surprised if i show up on your door step one day with an air2 in hand
2015-9-9
Use props
rodmael
New

United States

1. I am among those very thankful for the added features.  I have a Tesla car and over the last year very may features have been added and we love this new era we live in!

2.  Follow Me is indeed risky.  My first try in my backyard it seemed to work.  Later in a park it worked sometimes and other times it would accelerate into a wild flyaway! (turn and burn!) Yes, re calibrated everything but experienced more wonky "turn and burn" erratic behavior.

3.  Went back to check POI and was thrilled that it seemed to work flawlessly.  That's the one I like the best anyway.  I appreciate the posts from people who said "it worked for me".  That would have been my first post too.  Then  wonky time.

Anyway, Thanks DJI for working to make our product more versatile.  If anyone gets a for sure answer about the instability of "Follow Me".  (GPS was fine)  I would like to know.  If it needs some "tweaking" by DJI.....I would appreciate that too.  Cheers.  Happy flying.
2015-9-9
Use props
jb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 270728 ft
  • >>>
United States

rodmael@hotmail Posted at 2015-9-9 21:03
1. I am among those very thankful for the added features.  I have a Tesla car and over the last year ...

rodmail,
What is the mobile device you are using?

I too have had trouble with the Follow Me and had a fly away resulting in a crash into some trees.   Fortunately, other than some scrapes and bruises the Phantom survived.  

I am using an authorized Samsung Note 4.  I do wonder if the problems related to Follow Me are all Android related.   Your thoughts?
2015-9-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules