o(^-^)o
hugechoons
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9931 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
My first post so go easy
I was thinking of upgrading from the vision+ to a phantom plus GoPro 4. I know there are numerous posts about this so I'll trawl through them but for info on the addons, but I had a couple of specific questions for anybody with experience using these setups.

1: Can you remotely control the GoPro camera from the ground? Say to take a picture and then start shooting a video after that, similar to the way that the vision+ can. I know you can get wireless remotes for these cameras as well so wondered if that would be an option?

2: What is the quality of the new GoPro like for stills? I know it's pretty good for video but is it comparable to vision+ when taking photographs? Obviously vision+ is pretty good because it does RAW and can be manipulated more than a standard .jpeg. but this is really a deal breaker for me because I do both video and photography.

Thanks!
2014-12-10
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

You generally cannot control the Gopro from the ground like you can with the V+ camera. So, you'll have to start recording or set it to periodically snap photos before you take off. You can use the Gopro WiFi if you want, but you're only going to get a range of around 300 feet at most. The Gopro WiFi should not interfere with the V+. I believe guymacdonald is thinking of the standard Phantom 2 which uses 2.4Ghz for it's controller. The V+ uses 5.8Ghz for it's control signal so that's not an issue and the V+ WiFi will most likely play nice with the Gopro WiFi. Even if they wouldn't, the worst that could happen is your video and telemetry will cut out. Also, be aware that in order to use a Gopro with the V+ you are going to need a quick release from dronexpert.nl (which will allow you to see the video feed, get telemetry, and control the movement of the gimbal) and a new gimbal (H3-3D). A pretty expensive upgrade really. Unless of course you just want to stick the the Gopro to the bottom of the V+ without a gimbal, but that would not give you very good video/photos. As for the still quality of the Gopro images, I believe they are comparable to the V+'s.
2014-12-10
Use props
siweckipawel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57070 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Hello, stills form Hero4 Black are really good now, wat better than soap quality Hero3+. You can use RAW now.
As for WiFi in GOPRO you should disable it, it will work in REMOTE mode for 50 metres only. In REMOTE mode there is no problem with interference with DJI RC, but in STREAMING MODE you Phantom will enter GO HOME MODE due to powerful interference from GOPRO.
2014-12-10
Use props
filmworx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9931 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's good to hear the stills are pretty good on the GoPro but if I can't control it properly from the ground it seems like a bit of a dead end for me, (50m with the remote isn't going to cut it for my work). Seems like I'll need to save up for an Inspire 1. Arggghhh!
2014-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules