Avata ignores the RTH height (Avata, Integra, RC2)
618 20 2023-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

I just had the Avata ignore the RTH height twice, and the 2nd time the drone was not retrievable.
All firmware was up to date on the Avata, Integra and RC2 the day before the incidents (12/3/2023).
Luckily DJI is replacing the drone, so I must give them kudos, as I truly appreciate a vendor that stands behind their product 100%.

With that said, I have video proof from my Integra that once Low-battery RTH is triggered (after the countdown), the Avata remained at 9m+- and ran straight into a tree and was stuck at about a 45 degree angle (according to the Avata's camera).
There was no possibility of stopping that flight path with any button, or restarting the drone.

RTH NEEDS to have the ability to be easily CANCELLED without question at any time. If I could have stopped it, I could have easily landed the drone myself.
My suggestion... The pilot MUST to have the ability to easily STOP and HOVER at ANY TIME, without question.

In addition, there is a feature on the Avata that blocks takeoff and Turtle-Mode if the drone is pitched more than 45 degrees+-, but is not completely upside down (+-).
These restrictions also needs to be removed ASAP.
If I feel Turtle-Mode (or a simple take-off) will save my drone, I should be able to make that decision at ANY TIME, without question.

Thanks again to DJI for their great support after the fact, but if programming issues like this are quickly resolved, there would be less support requests ;-)

2023-12-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good to hear DJI is replacing your drone.  As far as the crash, how close was the drone to your homepoint when the battery ran low and it decided to return to home?  Did you see the countdown before this triggered and were you unable to respond to the countdown?  Ok, so let's say you want the drone to RTH and you allow it and when the drone was returning to home, were you unable to pause or stop the drone from moving by pressing the button?  Not exactly cancel the return the home (which I think you can do) but freeze the drone (until you can figure out what to do)?
2023-12-5
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

The Saint Posted at 12-5 08:43
Good to hear DJI is replacing your drone.  As far as the crash, how close was the drone to your homepoint when the battery ran low and it decided to return to home?  Did you see the countdown before this triggered and were you unable to respond to the countdown?  Ok, so let's say you want the drone to RTH and you allow it and when the drone was returning to home, were you unable to pause or stop the drone from moving by pressing the button?  Not exactly cancel the return the home (which I think you can do) but freeze the drone (until you can figure out what to do)?

It was maybe a few hundred yards away when it LB-RTH (Low Battery - Return To Home). Which brings up another issue I found... A fully charged battery connected to an Avata (but not powered on) will drain overnight. It is a must to charge your batteries and NOT connect them to the Avata until you are ready to fly. I did not expect this at all.
Sad to say that I didn't notice the RTH warning until it went into LB-RTH mode about 30 seconds into the flight. Another modification I will request from DJI is to make the LB-RTH warning MUCH more noticeable.
Once it went into LB-RTH mode, I could do nothing at all for those 30 seconds of RTH but watch it fly back to me at 9m, right into the tree. Granted, I did not have time to ensure that I pushed the proper button(s) for the proper length of time to pause the LB-RTH, but I did what I could.
Ideally, just cancelling the LB-RTH would be preferable, so I could simply land it where it is, as freezing the drone and then continuing return to RTH would probably have resulted in the same situation.
2023-12-5
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 291345 ft
Brunei

RTH altitude needs to be at least 50m away in terms of distance from H for it to work.
2023-12-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx Posted at 12-5 10:20
It was maybe a few hundred yards away when it LB-RTH (Low Battery - Return To Home). Which brings up another issue I found... A fully charged battery connected to an Avata (but not powered on) will drain overnight. It is a must to charge your batteries and NOT connect them to the Avata until you are ready to fly. I did not expect this at all.
Sad to say that I didn't notice the RTH warning until it went into LB-RTH mode about 30 seconds into the flight. Another modification I will request from DJI is to make the LB-RTH warning MUCH more noticeable.
Once it went into LB-RTH mode, I could do nothing at all for those 30 seconds of RTH but watch it fly back to me at 9m, right into the tree. Granted, I did not have time to ensure that I pushed the proper button(s) for the proper length of time to pause the LB-RTH, but I did what I could.

Ok sounds like you experienced some sort of weird situation resulting from taking off with a low or depleted battery.  Please try again with a full-battery and your experience will probably be a lot different.  Easy enough to insert the battery into the drone but don't connect it.
2023-12-5
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

D35Archangel Posted at 12-5 13:27
RTH altitude needs to be at least 50m away in terms of distance from H for it to work.

Thanks. That's good to know and certainly makes sense when I think about my observations. Maybe I'm just simply not flying far enough away, but in the United States you are supposed to maintain visual of your drone :-(
Maybe LB-RTH should just completely disable itself closer than that, but either way, I would prefer a method to just simply hold down a button and completely stop LB-RTH and have the drone hover and wait for my command.
I know that you can pre-set return to home for loss of signal. I don't understand why you can't do the same for low battery.
2023-12-5
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

The Saint Posted at 12-5 15:16
Ok sounds like you experienced some sort of weird situation resulting from taking off with a low or depleted battery.  Please try again with a full-battery and your experience will probably be a lot different.  Easy enough to insert the battery into the drone but don't connect it.

Thanks. I have a feeling you may be correct. If the battery was at borderline warning level at the time it took off and the drone didn't get an accurate reading initially, that could certainly be a problem. Batteries will not necessarily reflect an accurate voltage level until under full load, so that delay could have created an issue.
2023-12-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why not post the flight log then things may become more clear.
2023-12-5
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-5 17:18
Why not post the flight log then things may become more clear.

Good thought. Is there a method to access that via the DJI Fly app or the website?
2023-12-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We appreciate your kind feedback. Rest assured that the feedback that you posted will be forwarded to our designated team for attention. We will continue to provide the best service for our consumers. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-12-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx Posted at 12-5 19:52
Good thought. Is there a method to access that via the DJI Fly app or the website?

I do not know sorry, I merely know that it is possible.

That said I suspect it will be similar to the process used with the DJI FPV.
With the FPV you connect a phone, which has the fly app installed, to the goggles via a USB-C male to USB type A female cable (supplied with the drone ) and a normal USB_type_A_to_phone data cable. Switch the goggles on, start the App and wait and in some cases wwwwaaaaaiiiittttt. I have NO idea what causes the difference in wait-times.

Make sure wifi on the phone IS SWITCHED OFF, I made the mistake once of leaving Wifi switched on and I was FORCED to update the drone and controller.

Once the logs are presumably on the phone I would suggest that you connect the phone to your computer and copy all the .txt flight logs to the computer then open the presumed MCDFlightrecords folder on the phone and copy all the .DAT flight logs to your computer as well.
2023-12-6
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-5 20:41
Hi there. We appreciate your kind feedback. Rest assured that the feedback that you posted will be forwarded to our designated team for attention. We will continue to provide the best service for our consumers. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. Have a nice day ahead!

Thank you!
2023-12-6
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-6 02:48
I do not know sorry, I merely know that it is possible.

That said I suspect it will be similar to the process used with the DJI FPV.

Thanks. Sounds like quite a process, but I returned everything already. I am just waiting for a replacement. DJI sent me an email that shipping times are slow due to the holidays :-(
2023-12-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx Posted at 12-6 05:28
Thanks. Sounds like quite a process, but I returned everything already. I am just waiting for a replacement. DJI sent me an email that shipping times are slow due to the holidays :-(

It is a bit of a falafel but if you still have the goggles the logs are, at a guess, stored on there so you should be able to access them.
Once they are on the phone and you know where to look you could have accessed them on the phone in the time it took me to type this post.
2023-12-6
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-6 06:12
It is a bit of a falafel but if you still have the goggles the logs are, at a guess, stored on there so you should be able to access them.
Once they are on the phone and you know where to look you could have accessed them on the phone in the time it took me to type this post.

Thank you for the details.
DJI asked me to send everything back, but I'll remember that for next time.
2023-12-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx Posted at 12-6 09:24
Thank you for the details.
DJI asked me to send everything back, but I'll remember that for next time.

Fair enough.
2023-12-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You are most welcome. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-12-7
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-7 03:12
You are most welcome. Have a nice day ahead!

Thank you.
By the way, I just noticed something in my last-flight's video that I did not realize...
It seems that the RTH cancellation button changes from the MODE button to the LOCK button.
From these screenshots from my last video, you can see that to cancel RTH BEFORE it starts, you have to hit the MODE button,
but to cancel RTH AFTER it starts, you have to hit the LOCK button.
That is incredibly confusing for a new RC2 pilot, and may have been the cause of my inability to cancel the RTH after it went into effect.
(I don't really remember, but I believe I may have been attempting to cancel the RTH with the MODE button while already in RTH mode.)
https://forum22.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/file:///C:/Users/tonyl/Downloads/rth1.jpg

rth1.jpg
rth2.jpg
2023-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The key is to take action before you only have 1 second left.

In any case, I never remember exactly what to do which is why I tend to hit both buttons repeatedly since they are near to each other....and it gets the job done.  Between the two buttons, one being cancel and one being stop, only good things should happen if you hit either one of them.

If you have any issues with this, just practice it until you get use to it.  If you spend the day just going over these, you'll get the hang of it really quickly.

For me, I almost never get a low battery RTH and so for me, cancel by hitting the mode button is all i ever need to really learn how to do proficiently.  The minute I see RTH, I cancel it; don't screw around.  I don't want my FPV drone to ascend.

Plus, the Avata is a pretty tough drone, it's rare that you can't get to a function before the drone gets into a serious crash.  Only some sort of malfunction should end up with a bad day.
2023-12-10
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

The Saint Posted at 12-10 21:16
The key is to take action before you only have 1 second left.

In any case, I never remember exactly what to do which is why I tend to hit both buttons repeatedly since they are near to each other....and it gets the job done.  Between the two buttons, one being cancel and one being stop, only good things should happen if you hit either one of them.

Agreed, but in my defense, I actually didn't even know that the 2nd button was necessary in the 2nd RTH mode (which is ridiculously programmed IMO).
It would have been nice if there were specific instructions regarding this now-obviously omni-important feature and the caveats involved (like the drone never ascending to the set RTH height).
I will be sure to add a section regarding this to the FB page I am creating for newbies "DJI AVATA, Integra, RC2 Tips".
2023-12-11
Use props
djiuser_ySviUDrwlaGx
lvl.1

United States

While I am venting, let me also ask (rhetorically) how the bottom sensors on the Avata confirmed that it was acceptable to land in a palm tree.
drone-rth-landing.jpg
2023-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules