Mavic Air 2 - EU C class: which and when?
123Next >
6510 85 2023-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlotaglia
lvl.1

Italy

Hi everyone

I'm an Italian UAS operator, profesisonal videomaker and enthusiastic owner of a Mavic Air 2.
For sure many of you are aware of the new EU regulations about UAS from January 1, 2024, that force operators to fly with EASA C classified drones.

Still the Air 2 was not officially assigned with a C class, instead of other models, meaning that it could be used only in an A3 flying context.
Also, Dji never updated Air 2 RID compatibility with EU standards.

Are these updates going to be released or am I forced to buy a new drone?
Since years I'm a DJI user with Ronin gimbals and I'd be very disappointed if a 2 years old drone had to be considered as obsolete.

Thank you!
2023-12-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's unlikely to be able to get a C classification as it doesnt have the softer propellors required.
2023-12-11
Use props
carlotaglia
lvl.1

Italy

DAFlys Posted at 12-11 23:27
It's unlikely to be able to get a C classification as it doesnt have the softer propellors required.

What do you mean with "softer propellors"?
If I had to find a solution under no commercial/marketing perspective, I would force Mavic Air 2 owners to buy new specifica propellors in compliance with C classification requirements, instead of a new drone.

After all, in case of an accident I don't believe there could be that difference to be hit in sensible areas (like head/face) by a drone with standard plastic propellers or "softer" propellers.

However, thank you for you answer
2023-12-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, carlotaglia. Sorry about the inconvenience. About the Mavic Air 2 model, DJI does not have a plan to do the certification yet. And yes, it could only be used in A3 flying at the moment. About the RID we don't have the information to provide yet. Rest assured this issue will be forwarded to the related team as feedback. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
2023-12-12
Use props
carlotaglia
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Tony Posted at 12-12 01:23
Hi, carlotaglia. Sorry about the inconvenience. About the Mavic Air 2 model, DJI does not have a plan to do the certification yet. And yes, it could only be used in A3 flying at the moment. About the RID we don't have the information to provide yet. Rest assured this issue will be forwarded to the related team as feedback. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

I really appreciate that Tony.
As I said before, if the major obstacle to Air 2 C certification is represented by the need of softer propellors I don't think any professional operator would refuse to spend for that upgrade.
And to be honest I believe that DJI's potential decision to certificate the wonderful Air 2 could damage its own market of new drones .

Finally, about the RID I'm pretty sure that some EU external RID manufacturers work in compliance with EASA regulations, so I would reputate the "RID matter" as secondary with respect to C certification.

Thank you so much!
2023-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

carlotaglia Posted at 12-12 00:34
What do you mean with "softer propellors"?
If I had to find a solution under no commercial/marketing perspective, I would force Mavic Air 2 owners to buy new specifica propellors in compliance with C classification requirements, instead of a new drone.

The C0 and C1 drones use a softer plastic and have rubber orange tips on the end of the blades,  to meet the EASA rules impact rules.   There would be no way to retrospectively get certification without it being returned to the factory under the current EASA rules as they wouldn't have a way to confirm that it had been upgraded.   It could be retrospectively made a C2 drone I think but that really doesnt have any benefit.      I wouldn't expect a 4 year old product to get certification as the rules were not available to DJI when it was designed.
2023-12-12
Use props
carlotaglia
lvl.1

Italy

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 03:27
The C0 and C1 drones use a softer plastic and have rubber orange tips on the end of the blades,  to meet the EASA rules impact rules.   There would be no way to retrospectively get certification without it being returned to the factory under the current EASA rules as they wouldn't have a way to confirm that it had been upgraded.   It could be retrospectively made a C2 drone I think but that really doesnt have any benefit.      I wouldn't expect a 4 year old product to get certification as the rules were not available to DJI when it was designed.

I can understand that around 4 years for a drone seem like an eternity to beginners or recreational operators whose only need is to enjoy a beautiful landscape testing new features (how could we blame them? ).

But I'm afraid I can't explain or justify these kinds of limitations assuming that Air 2 propellors represent the major obstacle to a certification.
At least for a professional operator who doesn't need a higher quality than the one provided by the marvelous Air 2 for his/her works.
I wouldn't have any problem neither to send my Air 2 to the factory to replace propellers (without spending too much ) nor to self-upgrade them taking my responsibilities in case of an accident.

After all...I'm a good driver and if "my old car" isn't equipped with esp, I'd be happier to be told to buy the best winter tires on the market to be lawful, instead of being forced to buy a new car with traction control.
2023-12-12
Use props
Saygone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53297 ft
Poland

carlotaglia Posted at 12-12 14:16
I can understand that around 4 years for a drone seem like an eternity to beginners or recreational operators whose only need is to enjoy a beautiful landscape testing new features (how could we blame them?  ).

But I'm afraid I can't explain or justify these kinds of limitations assuming that Air 2 propellors represent the major obstacle to a certification.

Agree
If this is the only obstacle here it would be fantastic deal if DJI could, even with a fee, give us ability to verify our drones
2023-12-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

carlotaglia Posted at 12-12 01:47
I really appreciate that Tony.
As I said before, if the major obstacle to Air 2 C certification is represented by the need of softer propellors I don't think any professional operator would refuse to spend for that upgrade.
And to be honest I believe that DJI's potential decision to certificate the wonderful Air 2 could damage its own market of new drones  .

You are most welcome. We completely understand the importance of your request. Thank you for your patience.
2023-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

carlotaglia Posted at 12-12 14:16
I can understand that around 4 years for a drone seem like an eternity to beginners or recreational operators whose only need is to enjoy a beautiful landscape testing new features (how could we blame them?  ).

its not really a fair analogy,   really your not being told you can't drive your car just that you cant drive it in a residential area.    Really here the blame is with EASA and not DJI,   EASA introduced rules that sadly applied retrospectively but did give us several years to transition to a more modern product.
2023-12-12
Use props
carlotaglia
lvl.1

Italy

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 23:18
its not really a fair analogy,   really your not being told you can't drive your car just that you cant drive it in a residential area.    Really here the blame is with EASA and not DJI,   EASA introduced rules that sadly applied retrospectively but did give us several years to transition to a more modern product.

Of course I'm not blaming DJI and I'm conscious of the EASA (but EU generally speaking...as a little provocation ) bad evaluation of small semi-pro drones.
But if the main issue has to do with softer propellers I believe that final users could be forced to make that upgrade by themselves (or delivering drones to DJI) and be able to operate at least in A2 class.

Also, IMHO a bad behavior could emerge in this case, choosing if it's more convenient to pay for a fine because of flying in A2 instead of A3 (obviously with a valid insurance and A1-A3/A2 license) with an Air 2 than spending much more money buying a new drone.
And again, assuming that propellors are the dispute I believe that changing them would disincentivate bad conducts and at least drive a drone that is technically in line with C requirements in "DJI's opinion".
2023-12-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

carlotaglia Posted at 12-13 00:25
Of course I'm not blaming DJI and I'm conscious of the EASA (but EU generally speaking...as a little provocation  ) bad evaluation of small semi-pro drones.
But if the main issue has to do with softer propellers I believe that final users could be forced to make that upgrade by themselves (or delivering drones to DJI) and be able to operate at least in A2 class.

Your insurance would be invalid if you were flying A2 and not A3.  There are also other EASA requirements like noise levels,   impact damage etc that all have to be met, the propellors were just one example of where it wouldn't meet the EASA requirements.  
2023-12-13
Use props
carlotaglia
lvl.1

Italy

Saygone Posted at 12-12 15:22
Agree
If this is the only obstacle here it would be fantastic deal if DJI could, even with a fee, give us ability to verify our drones

That's it .
I'd buy a new car if both chassis and engine can't be used anymore in my city, but if buying the best winter tires is the solution...I'd do that!
Often (if not always) an average professional video maker/photographer doesn't even have time to look for the new drone, buy it, "learn it" and buy other accessories, like my 5 original batteries fir the Air 2, the floating landing support and so on.
2023-12-13
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

@carlotaglia: As Air 2 owner I totally understand but I'm affraid that You should consider getting new drone as the certification of "old" drones would be simply unprofitable for DJI.
Dual lens of Air 3 BTW opens new possibilities for creators or sub 250 g drones like Mini 4 are the less regulated in populated areas...
2023-12-13
Use props
djiuser_bJS4xe8itQXj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 706040 ft
Italy

DAFlys Posted at 2023-12-11 23:27

I replaced the propellers with the air 2s propellers, n9n I think this is the problem. If this were the case, it's easily solvable...
1-3 07:45
Use props
djiuser_bJS4xe8itQXj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 706040 ft
Italy

virtual Posted at 2023-12-13 01:34
@carlotaglia: As Air 2 owner I totally understand but I'm affraid that You should consider getting new drone as the certification of "old" drones would be simply unprofitable for DJI.
Dual lens of Air 3 BTW opens new possibilities for creators or sub 250 g drones like Mini 4 are the less regulated in populated areas...

but do you really write this? do you think that a pilot wants to get rid of his perfectly functioning drone to get a new one just because DJI does NOT want to apply the marking for his marketing? do you perhaps find money on trees?
1-3 07:50
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_bJS4xe8itQXj Posted at 1-3 07:45
I replaced the propellers with the air 2s propellers, n9n I think this is the problem. If this were the case, it's easily solvable...

It's not easily solvable as the EU would require the drone to go to a manufacturer for the change as they dont trust us owners to do it.
1-4 00:12
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682438 ft
Spain

DJI has confirmed yesterday on facebook that the Air 2 is not going to recieve the C-label.
1-18 03:17
Use props
amenophis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 397077 ft
Italy

dear dji, you are a great shame and you continue to demonstrate that you have no interest in your buyers or in their comments or displeasures.  I too bought and spent a lot of money on the air 2 that you advertised so much, and then released the air2s a few months later, which turned out to be THE SAME product.  now when you have to show gratitude to your customers (I will be an ex) what do you do... exclude from the back marking air2, a drone that you betrayed by releasing air2s a few months later.  you also betrayed its buyers.  This is an epochal change for the lives of your drones and your customers, who today find themselves in the hands of a betrayed drone that no one wants anymore, except for a few inhabitants of the Sahara.  lack of seriousness, no respect for those who purchased by trusting a company that thought they were paying attention to the so much money spent on air2, despite the fact that at the time since the release of air2 there was talk of marking.  __continue___
1-19 00:39
Use props
amenophis
lvl.1
Italy

what do you do dji.. a few months later you release 2s and cut air2.  shame on you.  no customer loyalty, lots of attention to your earnings.  don't come and talk to me about technical differences between the two drones because they don't exist.  if you want you can overcome these non-existent obstacles.  you still have a chance to regain your face.  exploit it.
1-19 00:40
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Spain

Fozando Posted at 1-18 03:17
DJI has confirmed yesterday on facebook that the Air 2 is not going to recieve the C-label.

1-19 03:23
Use props
amenophis
lvl.1
Italy

Shame on you DJI.  especially because you released two identical drones on the market just a few months apart.  now you are treating air2 owners like beggars.  never again my money to you.  why don't you reply here officially and tell us what the REAL reasons are why you are excluding air2.  there aren't any. that's the truth.
1-20 02:31
Use props
avereza
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11516381 ft

Portugal

I also have the Air 2 and I am very disapointed with this decision that will affect my opportunities to fly my drone, I live in a big city area and will have no more places to fly unless I travel to countryside, that´s completely disgusting and shows no respect for us, people who buy this products and a couple of months later it becomes outdated, and more over now it's complete garbage with this decision.
Now my drone is useless and if I have to buy a new one, for sure it´s not gonna be a DJI.
1-20 13:14
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Spain

avereza Posted at 1-20 13:14
I also have the Air 2 and I am very disapointed with this decision that will affect my opportunities to fly my drone, I live in a big city area and will have no more places to fly unless I travel to countryside, that´s completely disgusting and shows no respect for us, people who buy this products and a couple of months later it becomes outdated, and more over now it's complete garbage with this decision.
Now my drone is useless and if I have to buy a new one, for sure it´s not gonna be a DJI.

Your Air2 keeps beeing a perfect drone to fly away from the city. This situation is going to force you to travel and discover new places.
1-21 04:00
Use props
djiuser_VHxIhI4Nn9rw
New
Belgium

Très déçu aussi, je m'attendais a ce qu'il soit approuvé, mais plus tardivement... IL fallait bien un moment où s'arrêter dans la classification rétrospective, cependant le Mavic air 2 est encore en vente dans certaines enseignes, bizarre comme choix... comme beaucoup j'ai choisi l'achat de ce drone car cette marque inspire confiance et semblait active dans les changements imposés par l'UE. Un geste commercial fort serait le bienvenu dans ce cas... Au minimum, une réduction avec un grand R sur un nouveau drone permettant d'atténuer la perte et de maintenir la confiance... Wait and see
1-24 06:12
Use props
Lunado
lvl.2

Germany

And it's all a lot of fun, because the AIR 2s certificate for A1 is probably a profit!!!!
1-24 10:42
Use props
djiuser_awM36NLuzEJO
New
Flight distance : 28333 ft
Poland

A3 only?
What about my already paid certification?
this is unfair, you can not do it properly @DJI!!!
Contract managers, taking care only about their accounts and bonuses, mercenaries, who leavin' this problem with users, and as well employees...
there is only a details to be agreed upon and solved with UE Commissioners...
1-25 03:38
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_awM36NLuzEJO Posted at 1-25 03:38
A3 only?
What about my already paid certification?
this is unfair, you can not do it properly @DJI!!!

Unfair to blame DJI for not supporting a standard that the EU imposed after they designed and sold the drone.   
1-25 03:52
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lunado Posted at 1-24 10:42
And it's all a lot of fun, because the AIR 2s certificate for A1 is probably a profit!!!!

Looks like the Air2S is delayed now.

1-25 03:53
Use props
Boober_Pilot
New
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 1-25 03:52
Unfair to blame DJI for not supporting a standard that the EU imposed after they designed and sold the drone.

to take money is ok, to think about Customers - not really, and this is not a huge discrepancy - is just details... Air 2 s - is OK...
yes is unfair to treat us like that!

Maybe in wealthy countries, you can change drones like socks, but for me, it is a hard-earned dream - and now I am in a hole...
1-25 04:02
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Boober_Pilot Posted at 1-25 04:02
to take money is ok, to think about Customers - not really, and this is not a huge discrepancy - is just details... Air 2 s - is OK...
yes is unfair to treat us like that!

Then really you should complain to EASA for changing the rules retrospectively.  In fact DJI managed to persuade EASA to allow retrospective classifications without having to send the drone back for service so I have no doubt they are trying.   Have you considered that older drones cannot physically meet the requirements for the c labels.  
1-25 04:22
Use props
Boober_Pilot
New
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 1-25 04:22
Then really you should complain to EASA for changing the rules retrospectively.  In fact DJI managed to persuade EASA to allow retrospective classifications without having to send the drone back for service so I have no doubt they are trying.   Have you considered that older drones cannot physically meet the requirements for the c labels.

I said - they can meet, in general, as there are only some small differences - like soft propellers - which shall be possible to replace, even to buy.
That is all that is necessary...
1-25 05:11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Boober_Pilot Posted at 1-25 05:11
I said - they can meet, in general, as there are only some small differences - like soft propellers - which shall be possible to replace, even to buy.
That is all that is necessary...

And how does EASA enforce you are using the correct propellors.  
1-25 05:57
Use props
Lunado
lvl.2

Germany

DAFlys Posted at 1-25 05:57
And how does EASA enforce you are using the correct propellors.

Mainly it's not about propellers, or: propellers are the smallest. The Air2 does not have remote ID capability, unlike the Air 2s. But DJI should write that here.
1-25 08:52
Use props
EmpieDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741102 ft
Belgium

Does any one knows the difference and why Remote ID seems to be OK for Japan and US for the MA2? But not for EU?
1-25 11:42
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
United States

EmpieDrone Posted at 1-25 11:42
Does any one knows the difference and why Remote ID seems to be OK for Japan and US for the MA2? But not for EU?

Just a marketing thing, but they are gonna say that the software is not compatible to admit the EU remote ID format.
1-25 23:35
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lunado Posted at 1-25 08:52
Mainly it's not about propellers, or: propellers are the smallest. The Air2 does not have remote ID capability, unlike the Air 2s. But DJI should write that here.

If you compare the propellors you'll see the Air2S has the soft orange tips compared to the air 2 that had the silver tips.
1-26 01:27
Use props
Lunado
lvl.2

Germany

DAFlys Posted at 1-26 01:27
If you compare the propellors you'll see the Air2S has the soft orange tips compared to the air 2 that had the silver tips.

Hi.
I do not consider the fact that the AIRs2 has "softer" propellers to be important from the point of view of approval of the drone for category A1.
It is not a fixed part of the drone, they can be replaced, which any AIRs2 drone owner can do at any time.
At the same time, DJI can make the inclusion of the AIR2 in the A1 category conditional on the use of "softer" propellers.
In the approved category A1 are all DJI drones of MINI category, even MINI 1 and 2, which have hard propellers, do not have remote ID and everything is ok.
That the drone is only 250g? His hard propellers will hurt just as much.
I was once cut by SPARK, recently by AIR2, it hurts the same.
1-28 04:48
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lunado Posted at 1-28 04:48
Hi.
I do not consider the fact that the AIRs2 has "softer" propellers to be important from the point of view of approval of the drone for category A1.
It is not a fixed part of the drone, they can be replaced, which any AIRs2 drone owner can do at any time.

You're forgetting its EASA that define what they will accept and they dont trust pilots to make these changes.  
1-28 05:59
Use props
Lunado
lvl.2

Germany

DAFlys Posted at 1-28 05:59
You're forgetting its EASA that define what they will accept and they dont trust pilots to make these changes.

...and do they trust the pilots not to make changes?.
1-28 06:22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules