New waypoints feature is goofy.
1866 17 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvl.2
United States

So, to use the new waypoints feature you have to actually fly a mission and mark (record) the waypoints  you choose along the way and then save that mission.  What?  Pardon me, I meant to say, WHAT?  Oh, I get it, that's just in case you get really board and want to fly the exact same mission again.  This clearly rules out any mapping or predefined search pattern mission.  I hope there's a fix for this soon.

2015-9-7
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I don't quite get that. Do DJI engineers know of Google Earth, maps...?
2015-9-7
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Clearly, you're looking for pilotless, autonomous flight waypoints, and several third-party apps using the DJI SDK will allow you to perform this type of flight.
However, for the P3 aerial photographers out there, DJI Waypoints, as implemented, allows you to first fly your route without worrying about the camera. Saving your route, and then flying it again, this time concentrating on the camera, the shot and the videography.
2015-9-7
Use props
lvl.4

United States

It's ground station lite.   If you want the real deal....3rd party app.  
2015-9-7
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

One good thing about this setup is that it'll prevent user error where people set the way points too low and crash into obstacles. That is a frequent occurrence with P2 owners.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-9-7
Use props
ps3097
lvl.1

United States

I agree, I was expecting you could pick points on the map and then the P3 would follow them. Will have to try a 3rd party app at this point I suppose.
2015-9-7
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-7 18:29
One good thing about this setup is that it'll prevent user error where people set the way points too ...

What I am making the popcorn for is someone selecting a saved waypoint flight from possibly a different city and wondering why their bird took off unexpectedly.  They will, of course, want warranty from DJI ;-)
2015-9-7
Use props
lvl.4

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-9-7 19:38
What I am making the popcorn for is someone selecting a saved waypoint flight from possibly a diff ...

You need to read up.   Gps coordinates are waypoints.  Maybe it's different in Canada though
2015-9-7
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

United States

Well said     
2015-9-7
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

United States

ps3097 Posted at 2015-9-8 08:36
I agree, I was expecting you could pick points on the map and then the P3 would follow them. Will ha ...

yes but which one?
2015-9-7
Use props
Viper989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891194 ft
Canada

1111 Posted at 2015-9-7 20:44
You need to read up.   Gps coordinates are waypoints.  Maybe it's different in Canada though

We may be a weird country , but i'm guessing we're all using the same GPS
2015-9-7
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-7 20:29
One good thing about this setup is that it'll prevent user error where people set the way points too ...

Yep I see it as DJI covering their bases.
No, HEY YOU WRECKED MY P3!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT HILL, POLE, TREE, ETC WAS 100 FEET HIGH!
2015-9-8
Use props
solsystem7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

ps3097 Posted at 2015-9-7 17:36
I agree, I was expecting you could pick points on the map and then the P3 would follow them. Will ha ...

What 3rd party apps might be usable for waypoints? I'm using IOS-Thanks
2015-9-8
Use props
Highlander Brow
lvl.3

Spain

I am not satisfied with this Waypoint feature as it has been presented in this firmware update. I was expecting mission planning on a map, controlling route, height, speed, hovering, and even camera tilt and drone yaw course lock. Ok. I hope a 3rd party app will come out with such features for IOS. I understand the arguing from DJI saying that is safer the way flight waypoint  recording, but I miss very much controlling height, or the possibility to remove a waypoint o modify it (a little on the left or the right). If this would be possible, then I would be open to accetp that this Waypoint deature could contribute to tune a flight. Flight tuning not only includes the camera orientation, but the height (normally too conservative), or the horizontal proximity to a bypass target.   I feel really disappointed because I was waiting like a child for these features, specially waypoint, Frankly, I think the future of drones will move towards to autonomous flight that will required mission planningon map, and precise height control (barometric and GPS) plus avoidance collision systems
2015-9-8
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

For creating video - I think that DJI has done a splendid job.  By pre-flying you can get a precise yaw angle for the camera recorded at each waypoint.  You could not even hope to do this by tapping on a google map.  When the P3 flys, it actually performs a bezei curve through the waypoints while turning (yawing) to the pre-recorded angles.  You can fly the same route over and yaw & tilt the camera manually and you can change the velocity real-time as well as hit the Pause button for a dwell shot.   As I said, the vehicles sold by DJI are presented as "Photographic Platforms".  I think that they accomplish this definition.  If you want a toy, then by all means buy a toy.
2015-9-8
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7411 ft
United States

I waited so patiently for the DJI updates. Finally they released it on 9 7 15. What a disappointment because of the limitations and waypoint "fly it first" restriction. I can't even look at the new flight mode options unless the P3 is running and airborne? Gee that helps folks learn and understand the app in safe conditions (not). The good thing about the new firmware is it allowed 3rd party apps to use all the features without loading a developer version firmware.  So, I bought/loaded a 3rd party app (for Android only & it's name starts with an L) which went to public version yesterday. It allows all of the same options without limitations and you can "pre" set up your flight plan, waypoints etc., then save, load or fly it. Golly, I didn't even have to turn on the P3 to set it up! I found it very easy & intutitive to use and works the way DJI's app should have been designed! Maybe DJI will change these features in the future, but I'm tired of waiting.  If there was more communication from DJI about whats being developed, what isn't, how it will operate, what it will and will not do and some comprehensive instructions, that would be a huge step in customer satisfaction. Thanks to the forums we have someplace to learn the things that folks test and figure out by trial and error.
2015-9-8
Use props
lvl.2
United States

boxerman Posted at 2015-9-8 11:30
For creating video - I think that DJI has done a splendid job.  By pre-flying you can get a precise  ...

Didn't the Vision have the ability to fix waypoints before flight?   Setting precise waypoints in flight would be nearly impossible if there's a wind because you'd be watching the  FPV and the map and constantly adjusting to maneuver into position.   
Here's my question to DJI:  Why not give us the option to set waypoints before or during flight.
If you're too squeamish to fly autonomously, don't.   For those of you who like using training wheels, that's your preference-------it sure isn't everyone's!
3DR's Tower app is light years ahead of this new update by DJI.   
2015-9-8
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

50418 Posted at 2015-9-8 11:50
Didn't the Vision have the ability to fix waypoints before flight?   Setting precise waypoints in f ...

Agreed.  Options are always better.  And I would'nt mind being able to "tweak" the waypoints of an existing session.  I don't mind, and I do understand, the method DJI gave us to create a new waypoint session.  Safer for you and for your P3.  And be patient, - 3rd parties are working diligently on new P3 software products.
2015-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules