Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Follow-me on Ipad Mini 2
4341 13 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wielmaessen
lvl.1
Netherlands

It seems like I have bought the wrong version of the Ipad Mini 2 a week ago. Obviously it does not support the new follow-me as it lacks GPS.

Is there a way to be able to use this feature anyway?
2015-9-7
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You'll need a GPS receiver. The Dual XGPS160 and Dual XGPS150A are both compatible with Apple devices.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-9-7
Use props
phuzman1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39964 ft
United States

Whitch iPad did you buy?Does it have cell service or just wifi?
2015-9-7
Use props
wielmaessen
lvl.1
Netherlands

phuzman1@yahoo. Posted at 2015-9-8 02:39
Whitch iPad did you buy?Does it have cell service or just wifi?

Just wifi. Seems that tethering my Lumia to the Ipad might work too when out in the middle of nowhere?
2015-9-7
Use props
wielmaessen
lvl.1
Netherlands

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-8 02:26
You'll need a GPS receiver. The Dual XGPS160 and Dual XGPS150A are both compatible with Apple device ...

I guess that receiver needs to be connected to the lighting port? But that is in use by the controller?
2015-9-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You have two weeks to return them, if bought in an Apple Store. Exchange it if you can, for an iPad Air 2 16GB Celluar.
The A8X CPU runs the program great & it's speed helps prevent the iPad from overheating while using the Go App.
I tried the iPad Mini 2, and was disappointed how much it heated up, even after only one full flight battery.
The iOS devices are all pricey, but they seem to work the best with the DJI products.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-7
Use props
clive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

wielmaessen Posted at 2015-9-8 02:11
I guess that receiver needs to be connected to the lighting port? But that is in use by the contro ...

The first GPS receiver is Bluetooth so no, it doesn't need to connect to the port on the iPad.
2015-9-7
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-7 20:26
You'll need a GPS receiver. The Dual XGPS160 and Dual XGPS150A are both compatible with Apple device ...

I have seen multiple people saying this will not work. That you MUST have cellular to enable Follow Me. Do you have concrete proof that this XGPS160 blue toothed to an iPad Mini w/ Retina WiFi only will be sufficient to run Follow Me?  Do you have any videos to support this claim? I really would like for this to work but have yet to find any confirmation that it will.

I am asking because I have also seen many claim that tethering the iPad to an iPhone will allow Follow Me. I just tested that theory and it absolutely does not work. So I have trouble believing that this will.

Any help greatly appreciated!
2015-9-14
Use props
NealR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have to admit, I've not tried out the Follow Me feature yet. I too have an iPad Mini 2 WiFi only. I know it has location services on it, ie, does track via GPS, so I'm kind of assuming that it should work without the requirement of cellular signal.

If it genuinely does not work with WiFi & Location services, then I will immensely disappointed in the Follow Me feature. I hope to go out shortly with my drone, so I think I'll have a quick test.
2015-9-14
Use props
OneKanObi
lvl.1

Bahamas

NealR Posted at 2015-9-14 13:16
I have to admit, I've not tried out the Follow Me feature yet. I too have an iPad Mini 2 WiFi only.  ...

I think it does require the cellular signal as everyone has been saying for the gps lock because i went to test follow me yesterday using my iPad mini 2 wifi and when i hit apply to follow me, my bird that i had sent to focus on myself made a rotation to the left and then began to fly in that direct. I quickly switched flight modes to get control back and wondered why follow me didn't work but no gps on my iPad clearly explains why. Will have to try again using my phone instead of my iPad.
2015-9-14
Use props
NealR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

OneKanObi Posted at 2015-9-14 20:15
I think it does require the cellular signal as everyone has been saying for the gps lock because i ...

Well, having tested it this evening, I too had similar results.

It activated OK, then made a turn, around 90 degrees to the right, then just sat there and hovered. So I started walking off, and it just stayed there. Walked around 200m away from the drone, but it just sat there, not even looking at me.

Like you, I will try again another evening using my phone, but I am disappointed about the feature needing cellular data as well as GPS
2015-9-14
Use props
caiken9621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 499793 ft
United States

NealR Posted at 2015-9-14 16:59
Well, having tested it this evening, I too had similar results.

It activated OK, then made a turn ...

Gents, the iPad Mini 2 & 3 as well as the iPad Air models do not have GPS on the WIFI only models.  The cellular models do have GPS and do not need an active cellular account to work.  The GPS functions do work without cellular data.   "Location Services" on a WIFI only iPad, derives an approximate location from wifi routers and Access points within range if WIFI is turned on.  For that reason, there's also no reason a third party compatible GPS device wouldn't work as an add-on to the wifi only iPad.
2015-9-14
Use props
Sylvain Boulent
lvl.1

France

caiken9621 Posted at 2015-9-15 03:03
Gents, the iPad Mini 2 & 3 as well as the iPad Air models do not have GPS on the WIFI only models. ...

I've tested today follow me with XGPS160 and ipad mini 2 WIFI,I have cached the map and turn off the wifi (bluetooth on for XGPS).
It worked pretty well,even I changed suddenly of direction, the drone still follow me.
Glad to not have spend money for nothing.

This solution could be better if the followed not want to have the controller in hand,but it means it should be have a small distance between the XGPS and the IPAD (10 meters according to the spec).
Another good point XGPS was into pocket all along the test
2015-9-15
Use props
wielmaessen
lvl.1
Netherlands

Sylvain Boulent Posted at 2015-9-15 20:29
I've tested today follow me with XGPS160 and ipad mini 2 WIFI,I have cached the map and turn off th ...

I have so many GPS devices here at thome that I hate to buy a separate dongle for GPS.
So that's why I was trying to connect one of my GPS supporting phones with bluetooth to the Ipad Mini 2. I tried that with my Android Tablet and it worked as a charm within 10 minutes.
But the Ipad is a PITA.
So I did some research and it seems to work with a jailbroken Ipad using the BtStack app. At least, it seemed to work until IOS 8.4.1. My Ipad was sold with 8.4.2 and now upgraded to 9.01. I applied a jailbreak but the BtStack is not available yet for 9.01. So I am now waiting until BtStack is released for IOS 9.01.

Darn Apple! I hate it!
2015-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules