RS3 Pro + DJI Transmission w/ Grips for Cam Control - NO DOCS!!
523 2 2023-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dar1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm frustrated with what appears to be a total lack of documentation from DJI for what I consider a common and very important use case for very expensive equipment (I know, what else is new)....

I have the RS3 Pro gimbal, connected with the DJI Transmission system, and am using the High Bright Monitor plus the 4D handle grips for remote gimbal and camera control. My camera is the Lumix S5iix which is listed by DJI as being fully compatible with the RS3 Pro.  All firmware is the latest on all the DJI and camera devices.

My issue is that there is no documentation that I can find anywhere from DJI that even begins to explain how the monitor and 4d grips are expected to function when controlling the camera in "control mode".  The only documentation that exists are the explanations in the 4D manual for how the grips work on the 4D specifically (on pages 29-30 of the 4D manual).   This functionality is VERY different when using the the grips with the RS3 Pro and some (compatible) camera.  It's understandable there's a difference, but DJI has really dropped the ball when choosing not to document how the monitor/grips work for this common use case that is hyped by everyone reviewing and marketing these systems (typcially using their sony bravia-capable cameras to show off the sony-only capability, and not mentioning how non-sony cameras are supported). When reading the 4D manual, I had no idea which grip buttons/functions would work as stated and which ones would not (or which ones would  serve a completely different function) --- this means learning what works and how is painful and inefficient, and maybe more importantly does not allow a user to distinguish designed-in behavior from actual problems.

As examples:
- Not only are many of the left/right grip buttons non-functional in this mode, some of the functions are totally different --- by design apparently.  So we're left to guess and use trial and error, with the only clues coming from the gimbal setting desriptions as shown on the monitor. These numerous differences and designed-in limitations are extremely important to the user, and to purchasing decisions, and NEED TO BE DOCUMENTED!!  (note the high bright monitor manual, nor the grip docs, say anything about how the grip buttons or settings work in this use case).

- Functionality for some grip settings/controls is flaky and seems to be dependent on the power-up sequence of the devices involved. For example, in one case the right grip dial will not control the gimbal if the same dial function happens to be selected on the gimbal dial setting, and changing the setting on the gimbal or grip will be mirrored on the other... In other power-up sequences, the two settings can be made independently allowing for more versatilty. In a 3rd case, again depending on power-on sequence, the drop-down on the grip dial setting is not even available!!  I've gotten the best results when powering on the camera last, but even that is not 100% reliable.

- The camera parameters of iso, aperture, speed can be controlled by the grip handle, but the values are not displayed on the monitor! (even though there is a place for these items along the upper right edge, which apparently work for the 4D.  Even the Raveneye and the Ronin app can display these basic parameters, so why can't the the expensive high bright monitor do the same in control mode??  And, is this just the way it is, or is something not working -- I would not know because there is no documentation on what to expect!  Control mode is for remote control, so controlling these parameters with no display of their current values is like flying blind.

The above is a sampling of things driving the frustration, but again the main purpose of this thread is to point out the glaring lack of documentation for such important and basic functionality on very expensive flagship equipment.  So, this is a request to DJI to provide that documentation, and a request for anyone with insights on these matters to chime in with what you've found.  

Thanks

2023-12-11
Use props
Edson Chuck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1877293 ft
Brazil

Probably many of the DJI customers are also frustrated.

I am a Canon R5C owner, DJI RS3 Pro and also Dji Transmission. I bought this kit with the desire to control everything remotely, to film wildlife.

However, I can't control basic functions like ISO, aperture, or even start/stop recording from the monitor. Basic features that even the simple Raveneye can do. It is also written in the DJI's advertisements since the Transmission was released, that it would be able to start/stop recording from the monitor, but a year has passed, and nothing.

I am always considering and reconsidering buying the Handgrips, to see if they would control my camera. However, the lack of documentation makes it impossible to decide. It is a very expensive toy, and I definitely can't find out how it is going to work with my camera. Will this control basic settings? Trigger? With no documentation is impossible to buy it.

And of course, we still waiting for the Active track in the Transmission, as RavenEye has.

Finally, it would be very nice if DJI could also update their product manuals after a lot of new features is being released in firmware updates.
2023-12-14
Use props
dar1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
  • >>>
United States

Edson Chuck Posted at 12-14 07:07
Probably many of the DJI customers are also frustrated.

I am a Canon R5C owner, DJI RS3 Pro and also Dji Transmission. I bought this kit with the desire to control everything remotely, to film wildlife.

Agreed..  Without the handgrips, there is really no camera control on the high-bright monitor, just gimbal control.  With the grips, you should be able to get control for the things listed for your Canon camera, here:
https://www.dji.com/uk/support/compatibility/rs-3-pro/eosr5c

I too am amazed that the camera control for the $2500 DJI transmission system, when in "control mode", can't be at least as good/complete as what the Raveneye provides for less than 1/10 the money...   All the data is available (same connections as with raveneye) and these could easily be communicated  over the ocusync link.  I think it's a lazy attempt by DJI to take a system (the monitor and grips) that was really designed for the 4D camera and market it as a more universal control system without making the necessary changes to make it viable as a  real universal camera control system with a known set of documented features -- at least half the button/control functionality the grips provide for the 4D are not there, and DJI doesn't bother to explain anywhere what those missing functions are, nor what they provide in their place, if anything, for non-4D setups.
2023-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules