Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Geminids meteor shower 2023 - Settings?
551 7 2023-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

I need some expert advice on how I might set up my OA4 tonight to capture some of the activity in the night sky during the peak of the Geminids meteor showeer tonight.  I haven't had time to do much experimenting with it so far and I know some of you have done this type of photography with the OA4 already so if you could give me a list of recommended settings for this I would appreciate it very much.
2023-12-13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Are you planning on shooting video, timelapse, or just photos? (...although timelapse can shoot photos, too, so that's the best of both worlds) Meteors thend to travel faster than a snail so you might just capture a streak.

I attach some shots I made a while back. This was inside city limits and my first try.

This first shot was ISO 100 with 30 second exposure. I tried ISO 100 for the cleanest shot possible.

This is an ISO 800 with 30 seconds.

This is ISO 800 with 20 seconds.

And ISO 800 with 10 seconds.

2023-12-13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Forgot to mention that these were just plain, ol' fashioned starry sky shots. No visible meteors. Although city lights are disturbing, if you are out in the open, I'm guessing iSO 800 with 10 seconds would work. But the 10 second exposure would make the meteor just s streak - if that's what you're going for. You could try ISO 1600 with less exposure time, but the noise will start to creep in, so depend on the look you're going for.
I'd save various settings in custom modes in increasing order. Say, C1 = ISO 400/10s, C2 = ISO 800/10s, C3 = ISO 1600/10s, or something like that and just quickly switch settings between shots to see which one works better.

If you are shooting timelapse, well, based on my photos, I'd say ISO 800/10s, or try ISO 1600/5 sec (for shorter tail). And the OA4 is better in low light. I was using the OA3.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert!
2023-12-13
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Thanks osmonauta.  I will try as you suggest.  Looking for photos mainly but will try the time lapse also.
2023-12-13
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Were U able 2 make some shots? How did they turn out?
2023-12-14
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

I got nothing.  My settings that I tried just were not right for the job.  I need to experiment more with the camera.
2023-12-15
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Well, that's bummer. I got some decent timelapse using ISO400 and 10 second shutter, but no signs of any meteors. Also about 30 minutes into the shot the clouds moved in - despite hourly forecast specifically said "CLEAR" (...thanks, www.weather.com!)
2023-12-15
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Well, around 12:30 AM I did see about 2 meteors per minute while laying on my back in the middle of a field next to my camera! Ha ha.  But it was very cold and I only lasted about 45 minutes before getting back indoors. The meteors were very fleeting so luck would play a big part in capturing one on the camera.  I suppose a 2 minute or more exposure might have worked.
2023-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules