Waypoints, continue beyond control range, why do DJI make possible ?
713 18 2023-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A thread elsewhere prompted the thought, why do DJI make this possible?
I would have have thought that in most countries this would contstitue  illegal flying since any flight where this happens means the drone is  also probably out of the pilot's field of view.

2023-12-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Because some waypoints which will go behind trees etc although in VLOS will or can cause a disconnect between drone and RC and having this feature allows the waypoint to finish and then RTH.
2023-12-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought in some countries like the EU they removed that option,   there was a long thread about it - https://forum.dji.com/thread-293219-1-1.html
2023-12-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. The continue option allows some users who wish to prioritize and finish their projects via the Waypoint feature, even if there might be unexpected events that may happen including the disconnection matter. Furthermore, due to EU regulations, the "Continue" option at Signal Lost behavior for the Waypoint function has been removed from the DJI Fly v1.11.0. I hope this information helps.
2023-12-14
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

i dont think drones are for you maybe get into knitting or something.
2023-12-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-14 02:55
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. The continue option allows some users who wish to prioritize and finish their projects via the Waypoint feature, even if there might be unexpected events that may happen including the disconnection matter. Furthermore, due to EU regulations, the "Continue" option at Signal Lost behavior for the Waypoint function has been removed from the DJI Fly v1.11.0. I hope this information helps.

its faciltating flights like these
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/close-call.142821/

look at 3 minutes onwards.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/crash-on-waypoint-mission.142895/

The sort of flying is going to get some hurt and lead to further restrictions, he's already lost or wrecked several drones as listed in one of the posts in the first thread.

2023-12-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-14 07:41
Clearly not a lot of planning goes into these missions.  They are obviously plotted on the map without research or RECON flights of the flightpath.  Hope he has deep pockets?  That said, I would prefer addressing the guy directly, perhaps giving him some pointers on proper pre-flight preparation & planning for a safe mission, rather than snitching to DJI & implying the feature should be removed entirely.  If he continues with reckless & poorly planned missions it will catch up to him soon enough.

That's the thing I doubt he will stop until he injures someone and or gets hammered by the relevant authorites, the latter opens the door for those authorites to have a knee jerk reaction and legislate the imposition of further restrictions on those innocent pilots who don't break the rules.

You might like to look at post 42 of https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... page-3#post-1609165 and his 'flight/disaster record'.

If this person happens to visit the USA, flies such a flight, hits someone or crashes into something over a road with the falling drone causing carnage and it is discovered that the drone was following a pre-planned flight-path whilst out of contact with the controller. Do you not think that, given
a) 'drone angst',
b) the assumption that such flights are illegal in the USA, ( are they ?)
c) how things work in the USA ,
ambulance chasers would be falling over themselves to represent the third parties in civil damages suits against both the pilot and possibly DJI.

If you don't want DJI to delete the "continue" feature might it be an idea to suggest that DJI require the pilot to get authorisation from the relevant airspace authority for such a flight before "continue" can be activated for that particular flight ?
You have surely seen posts that show governments forcing compliance on pilots via forcing DJI to restrict the flight envelope. I.e the EU preventing "continue" and implementing the daft, 120m hard ceiling wrt the take off point. The antics of this guy give goverment every excuse to spread that method of enforcing compliance on individual pilots.

With regards to "That said, I would prefer addressing the guy directly, perhaps giving him some pointers on proper pre-flight preparation & planning for a safe mission" PLEASE DO speak to him but I suspect your words will fall on ears that are deafer than mine. He seems to have ignored all the pointers others have given him.
2023-12-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-14 07:41
Clearly not a lot of planning goes into these missions.  They are obviously plotted on the map without research or RECON flights of the flightpath.  Hope he has deep pockets?  That said, I would prefer addressing the guy directly, perhaps giving him some pointers on proper pre-flight preparation & planning for a safe mission, rather than snitching to DJI & implying the feature should be removed entirely.  If he continues with reckless & poorly planned missions it will catch up to him soon enough.

He has been addressed directly by many. At first in a very kind and helpful manner, now not so much! He also has a few posts here blaming DJI for his ignorance of warranty and repair policies.
2023-12-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-14 09:17
That's the thing I doubt he will stop until he injures someone and or gets hammered by the relevant authorites, the latter opens the door for those authorites to have a knee jerk reaction and legislate the imposition of further restrictions on those innocent pilots who don't break the rules.

You might like to look at post 42 of https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... page-3#post-1609165 and his 'flight/disaster record'.

You think an idiot like that only flies irresponsibly because he uses waypoints?
Perhaps without waypoints, he would become a model citizen?

If this person happens to visit the USA, flies such a flight, hits  someone or crashes into something over a road with the falling drone  causing carnage and it is discovered that the drone was following a  pre-planned flight-path whilst out of contact with the controller. Do  you not think that, given
a) 'drone angst',
b) the assumption that such flights are illegal in the USA, ( are they ?)
c) how things work in the USA ,
ambulance chasers would be falling over themselves to represent the  third parties in civil damages suits against both the pilot and possibly  DJI.

Haven't you got more important things to lose sleep over than what might happen if the doofus goes to the US and flies like that?

2023-12-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

deleted..... accidentally posted before completed.
2023-12-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"You think an idiot like that only flies irresponsibly because he uses waypoints?
Perhaps without waypoints, he would become a model citizen?
"

Certainly not, from  post 42 of https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... page-3#post-1609165 it seems quite exident that he flies "irresponsibly"at other times too.

I would also question whether or not the majority of the two youtube flights where way point flying. The turns in "Pattaya Close Call" are horrible. I doubt DJI would release code that produced such awful turns.
Personally I think the only thing that will stop this guy is getting hauled into  court, either in civil suits or under criminal charges stemming from the  relevant airspace authorities.

I also doubt the OP could program
a) "follow the curve of the road" turns that appear twice in "Dec 12 2023" especially the one around 3:20.
b) flying between cables at 4:11.x, 4:46, 4:55 and narrowly missing several other cables.

"Haven't you got more important things to lose sleep over than what might happen if the doofus goes to the US and flies like that?
I am not losing sleep over this guy's flying.
2023-12-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-14 20:44
I just spent the last couple hours reviewing the topics on MP regarding "SHB", as well as his video portfolio on YouTube.   I agree the guy's Waypoint missions are poorly planned.  He appears to drop pins on the map & cut the bird loose with zero effort in pre-planning.  He must have deep pockets if he is doing these flights with a Mavic 3?   If he continues to fly utterly reckless flights it will eventually catch up with him.  He already seems to have had multiple crashes, near misses, & lost a bird or two.  The flight where he skimmed the balcony, & the latest one where he narrowly avoids several power lines before flying directly into a tree, are nuts.  He also appears to be completely clueless on the capabilities & performance of OA & RTH.

That said, I concur with Labroides' assessment on SHB.  Why lobby DJI to remove a valuable feature because of one careless guy?  If he was dropping C4 from his Mavic would you lobby for the banishment of consumer drones altogether?  I believe the solution to a guy driving 120 mph is to go after that guy directly, NOT a reactionary response limiting all cars to the maximum legal speed limit.  NO I absolutely do NOT want DJI imposing some sort of pre-flight approval for using Waypoints.  Why anyone would willingly cede their freedom & autonomy to government in light of government deceit & lies over the recent years I find utterly perplexing?  I did post a friendly & suggestive comment to one of his video with my thoughts on his flights.  Will it make a difference?  Probably not, but hey I tried.

Agreed, This bloke should be reported to the local authority in that country that he is so recklessly flying so he has learns a hard and firm lesson. Maybe a nice big fine will wake him up from CAA. His recklessness not only endangers other people but in a way he is one of those that causes our hobby to have all those restrictions put on it.
2023-12-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-14 20:44
I just spent the last couple hours reviewing the topics on MP regarding "SHB", as well as his video portfolio on YouTube.   I agree the guy's Waypoint missions are poorly planned.  He appears to drop pins on the map & cuts the bird loose with zero effort in pre-planning.  He must have deep pockets if he is doing these flights with a Mavic 3?   If he continues to fly utterly reckless flights it will eventually catch up with him.  He already seems to have had multiple crashes, near misses, & lost a bird or two.  The flight where he skimmed the balcony, & the latest one where he narrowly avoids several power lines before flying directly into a tree, are nuts.  He also appears to be completely clueless on the capabilities & performance of OA & RTH.

That said, I concur with Labroides' assessment on SHB.  Why lobby DJI to remove a valuable feature because of one careless guy?  If he was dropping C4 from his Mavic would you lobby for the banishment of consumer drones altogether?  I believe the solution to a guy driving 120 mph is to go after that guy directly, NOT a reactionary response limiting all cars to the maximum legal speed limit.  NO I absolutely do NOT want DJI imposing some sort of pre-flight approval for using Waypoints.  Why anyone would willingly cede their freedom & autonomy to government in light of government deceit & lies over the recent years I find utterly perplexing?  I did post a friendly & suggestive comment to one of his video with my thoughts on his flights.  Will it make a difference?  Probably not, but hey I tried.

Bravo!  Not sure how I missed this post over the past few days; totally agree!
2023-12-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-14 04:21
its faciltating flights like these
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/close-call.142821/

Thank you for responding. Some videos aren't accessible, however, we always recommend being responsible for drone usage and abiding by the local rules and regulations regarding flying an aircraft. If the incident happens, it will be handled based on the flight record and warranty period of the product. May we always have a safe flight!
2023-12-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-16 17:11
His videos are from various spots in Southeast Asia.  Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, etc..  Perhaps my message had an effect as it appears he has removed some of his more reckless videos?

I'd be interested to know which video you commented on, even if its only the title.
I don't want to plough through his channels library to find it. I don't want to give hime the clicks.
2023-12-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-17 02:10
Thank you for responding. Some videos aren't accessible, however, we always recommend being responsible for drone usage and abiding by the local rules and regulations regarding flying an aircraft. If the incident happens, it will be handled based on the flight record and warranty period of the product. May we always have a safe flight!

Ah perhaps the lambasting he got on Mavic pilots for some of his recent video had some affect but thanks for having a look anyway.
2023-12-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-17 05:05
The one where he narrowly missed the wires & crashed into the tree.  He did not respond but I notice he removed, or made private, that video & the one where he skimmed the balcony.

Thanks, I see the crashed into a tree thread has been locked. https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ssion.142895/page-2
2023-12-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-17 11:22
If that thread is discussing the incident where he narrowly missed the power lines then flew smack into a tree, I would say he is blowing smoke about the bird flying home on its own.  First, it flew smack into the center of the tree then began tumbling down through the branches before the video shut off.  Didn't even slow down so OA must have been off.  Second, contrary to his mistaken beliefs, RTH doesn't work when the bird encounters an obstacle during a Waypoint mission.  The bird stops & hovers.

It is and I think he is confused about quite a few aspects of drone behaviour.
2023-12-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-17 04:31
Ah perhaps the lambasting he got on Mavic pilots for some of his recent video had some affect but thanks for having a look anyway.

You're most welcome. Please feel free to reach us anytime.
2023-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules