MC2 not rotating gimbal
578 17 2023-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_QfHLWsCClKeX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13816 ft
United States

First flight with the M3P, Goggles 2 and MC2 and when I rotate the gimble wheel on the left side of the Motion Controler 2, the gimbal doesn't move up or down. Do I have it somehow locked in position and if so, is there a way to unlock it? Or is the MC2 defective?
2023-12-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The MC2 manual states
"FN Dial
Press the dial to open the camera settings panel in the FPV view. Scroll the dial to
navigate the settings menu or adjust the parameter value, then press the dial to
confirm the selection. Press and hold the dial to exit the current menu.

Use the FN dial to control the camera tilt before takeoff or during RTH and landing.
Press and hold the FN dial from the FPV view and then scroll up or down to tilt the
camera. Release the dial to stop the camera"

Which seems confusing but are you doing the press and hold thing?
To me "Release" suggests that the dial needs to be depressed whilst rotating it.
2023-12-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. The wheel on the side of the motion controller is the FN dial for easily adjusting the ISO, shutter, and other camera parameters. You can tilt the Motion Controller 2 up and down to control the gimbal while flying.

Have a nice day.
2023-12-18
Use props
djiuser_QfHLWsCClKeX
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-17 10:38
The MC2 manual states
"FN Dial
Press the dial to open the camera settings panel in the FPV view. Scroll the dial to

Thanks for your comment. Yes, seems a bit confusing to me to. Not sure what adjusting the (parameter?) means in this context, but you're right - I wasn't pressing the wheel. I'll try that next time. Unfortunately, next time is likely a few days (at least) away. We're in to what looks like a week of heavy wind and rain but maybe that will change. Maritime weather is extremely changeable.
2023-12-18
Use props
djiuser_QfHLWsCClKeX
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-18 00:17
Hi there. The wheel on the side of the motion controller is the FN dial for easily adjusting the ISO, shutter, and other camera parameters. You can tilt the Motion Controller 2 up and down to control the gimbal while flying.
[view_image]
Have a nice day.

Thanks for the reply, Tony, but I know that turning the wheel is for moving the gimbal up and down. I was doing that. The manual does make that clear. The problem was the gimbal wasn't responding to the turning of the wheel.  Maybe I need to press it first?  The manual doesn't seem to make that clear.
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_QfHLWsCClKeX Posted at 12-18 04:41
Thanks for your comment. Yes, seems a bit confusing to me to. Not sure what adjusting the (parameter?) means in this context, but you're right - I wasn't pressing the wheel. I'll try that next time. Unfortunately, next time is likely a few days (at least) away. We're in to what looks like a week of heavy wind and rain but maybe that will change. Maritime weather is extremely changeable.

You could probably test it indoors with out flying.
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_QfHLWsCClKeX Posted at 12-18 04:43
Thanks for the reply, Tony, but I know that turning the wheel is for moving the gimbal up and down. I was doing that. The manual does make that clear. The problem was the gimbal wasn't responding to the turning of the wheel.  Maybe I need to press it first?  The manual doesn't seem to make that clear.

I got the impression it was move the dial WHILST also pressing the dial.
2023-12-18
Use props
rgs
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-18 06:16
You could probably test it indoors with out flying.

You're right.  I did test it inside that pressing it is what's necessary.  Works fine when I do it the right way. Thanks for your replies.  Much appreciated.
2023-12-18
Use props
rgs
lvl.2
United States

I have it working now Tony. Just needed to press the dial while turning it. Regards.
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_QfHLWsCClKeX Posted at 12-18 04:41

A question or request.
I am assuming that you have linked the MC2 to the drone, if you have a joy stick controller for the drone could you link that controller to the drone then switch it off and switch the MC2 on?
If the joy stick controller linked to the drone did the MC2 connect to the drone after the joystick controller was switched off?
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rgs Posted at 12-18 06:22
I have it working now Tony. Just needed to press the dial while turning it. Regards.

Great news.
2023-12-18
Use props
rgs
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-18 06:25
A question or request.
I am assuming that you have linked the MC2 to the drone, if you have a joy stick controller for the drone could you link that controller to the drone then switch it off and switch the MC2 on?
If the joy stick controller linked to the drone did the MC2 connect to the drone after the joystick controller was switched off?

Another good question. I'm in a similar position with the the Goggles 2, MC2 and the RC.  I finally unbound the RC from the controller to get the MC2 bound. To do that I had to load another copy of the DJI fly software on my phone and connect the phone to the goggles to get them to all bind. It was a bit confusing because it called my phone the mobile device and I keep thinking the M3P was the only mobile device around. After I understood it was the phone then it all worked: goggles, MC2 and M3P. But the RC is no longer bound and I would like to be able to switch to that occasionally.
1. Wondering what will happen if I turn that back on with the goggles still on.
2. Wondering if I have to have the DJI Fly app always running on my phone to avoid the Remote ID error.
Not your question but a bit similar.
Guess I'll have to do a bit more experimenting.
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rgs Posted at 12-18 06:46
Another good question. I'm in a similar position with the the Goggles 2, MC2 and the RC.  I finally unbound the RC from the controller to get the MC2 bound. To do that I had to load another copy of the DJI fly software on my phone and connect the phone to the goggles to get them to all bind. It was a bit confusing because it called my phone the mobile device and I keep thinking the M3P was the only mobile device around. After I understood it was the phone then it all worked: goggles, MC2 and M3P. But the RC is no longer bound and I would like to be able to switch to that occasionally.
1. Wondering what will happen if I turn that back on with the goggles still on.
2. Wondering if I have to have the DJI Fly app always running on my phone to avoid the Remote ID error.

The experiment stems from behaviour I saw with my FPV.
I can link the original motion controller and the original joy stick controller with the drone.
If I boot the drone and goggles I can then use either the joystick controller or the motion controller to fly the drone BUT ONLY one of them can be connected to the drone at a time.
I recollect swapping the controllers mid flight by switching the connected controller off.
I do not remember if I did this whilst the other controller was switched on but the other controller took over irrespective of whether it was already on or was switched on after the first controller was switched off.

Re the binding stuff, BE CAREFUL there.
If you have fly away insurance the controller being used to fly the drone MUST be bound to the drone other wise FLY away insurance is invalid.

I am not sure if a motion controller can be bound to the drone.

I have seen posts that state that a GPS capable device i.e. a phone MUST be connected to certain googles in order to be RID compliant but I do not remember the model of the googles. If your goggles have GPS ( do any ? ) then the equipment might be able to used that GPS for RID porposes.

2023-12-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Sorry about the confusion, yes, the Gimbal Tilt Slider is only available before takeoff but not while flying. Please try to press and hold then slide while still holding the dial and then release to stop to the desired tilt.
2023-12-19
Use props
rgs
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-19 01:42
Hi there. Sorry about the confusion, yes, the Gimbal Tilt Slider is only available before takeoff but not while flying. Please try to press and hold then slide while still holding the dial and then release to stop to the desired tilt.

Hi Tony, Do you really mean that the only way to change the gimbal position in flight is with head tracking turned on?
2023-12-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

rgs Posted at 12-19 12:16
Hi Tony, Do you really mean that the only way to change the gimbal position in flight is with head tracking turned on?

Hi. Yes, or by tilting the motion controller up or down during flight.

Have a nice day.
2023-12-19
Use props
Andreacutes Prieto Col
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3652818 ft
  • >>>
Colombia

DJI Tony Posted at 2023-12-19 01:42

It's a non sense behavior of the fn dial, knowing that the old rc motion 1 slider can change the camera angle at any moment, even mid flight. The rc motion 2 was supposed to be a step up compared to rc motion1.

¿Can I suggest a firmware update that bring back  the dial possibility to change the camera tilt at any moment?
1-19 07:24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Andreacutes Prieto Col Posted at 1-19 07:24
It's a non sense behavior of the fn dial, knowing that the old rc motion 1 slider can change the camera angle at any moment, even mid flight. The rc motion 2 was supposed to be a step up compared to rc motion1.

¿Can I suggest a firmware update that bring back  the dial possibility to change the camera tilt at any moment?

We appreciate your suggestion. This will be forwarded to the relevant team to provide feedback. Thank you for your valued support.
1-20 02:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules