newbie, does the drone use up mobile data?
2071 13 2023-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark the Lark
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sorry to ask probably very nerdy question. got a mini 2 SE few days now. it's brilliant but concerned it may be going thru my mobile data which is not unlimited? thanks in advance

2023-12-17
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

The data is very limited to showing Google map view when flying. On some of these mini's the WIFI and Bluetooth is turned off when flying so the data is 0 when flying.
I have other DJI drones and the data plans for the controllers show only a few hundred MB's at most and a lot of that is downloading firmware updates in the field which isn't necessary.
2023-12-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Strictly speaking you do not need a network connection at all. None of my drone phones are connected to a network. Maps can somehow be downloaded whilst you have wifi.
The problem with Fly is that it has an automated time-delay log out and that is catching quite a few people out, they get out in the wilds and find they are logged out and that restricts height and distance SEVERELY. I have no idea how much data logging in via a network will consume.
2023-12-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

The simple answer is that your drone doesn't use any internet data.
2023-12-17
Use props
Mark the Lark
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Great start. thanks all.
2023-12-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Mark the Lark. Mobile data/internet connection is not necessary when flying a drone. however, you will need it when logging in, downloading maps, or upgrading firmware and the Flysafe database. Have a great day.
2023-12-17
Use props
Mark the Lark
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Great thanks all. OK next question would I get live video from the camera away from mobile signal/satelites? eg in a railway tunnel/empty abandoned buildings? cheers
2023-12-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Mark the Lark Posted at 12-18 04:01
Great thanks all. OK next question would I get live video from the camera away from mobile signal/satelites? eg in a railway tunnel/empty abandoned buildings? cheers

Your live video comes through the radio link between your drone and the contoller.
It has nothing to do with mobile signal or anything from satellites.
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The simple answer is ....... yes you should.
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

.. would I get live video from the camera away from mobile signal/satelites? eg in a railway tunnel/empty abandoned buildings? cheers

Be wary of flying in a tunnel, it's likely to be dark as well as having no GPS and the combination of the two will result in the drone switching to ATTI mode. ATTI mode means it will not hold position, not fight wind and not actively brake.
If you are not experienced in ATTI flying you will likely crash the drone.
2023-12-18
Use props
Mark the Lark
lvl.1
United Kingdom

good news and less good news then. Clearly being able to handle the thing is a big plus and yes after my previous Lidl Toy one that was constantly on the move this thing makes you very lazy. hands off and it's fine. Some sort of additional lighting is clearly required without overloading the poor little thing. A really powerful helmet mounted light is a good start and I have that. time to brush up on my flying skills then. thanks a lot all. A mine of information
2023-12-18
Use props
Dee004
lvl.1
Flight distance : 89131 ft

Canada

Mark
Practice flying acro mode on a simulator would be a good start at learning to control drones with no stabilization.  
2023-12-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dee004 Posted at 12-18 12:24
Mark
Practice flying acro mode on a simulator would be a good start at learning to control drones with no stabilization.

acro mode ?
2023-12-18
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-7 15:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now