Stuttering Footage
1070 26 2023-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

I fly a Mavic 3 Classic and I've noticed that some of my footage stutters and is jittery. It seems that the problem occurs when the drone is panning left or right (yaw). I shoot at 60fps with a shutter speed of 1/120s to maintain the 180˚ rule of thumb.

I did a bit of research and some YouTubers recommend shooting at a slower shutter speed and/or dropping the frame rate to 30fps. I find it hard to believe that the solution is to change those settings.

I'm still fairly new to video editing but some video and photography basics still apply in terms of clean, detailed footage and motion blur, etc.

Does anyone know why some of that footage stutters and what the best and most logical solution is to fix it?
2023-12-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble. You may check all the propellers installed on your unit and check if there is a crack or some sort of damage then replace it immediately. Perform a test flight to further isolate the issue after calibrating the IMU and Gimbal. If the issue persists, please upload the original video file via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-12-18
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-18 23:52
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble. You may check all the propellers installed on your unit and check if there is a crack or some sort of damage then replace it immediately. Perform a test flight to further isolate the issue after calibrating the IMU and Gimbal. If the issue persists, please upload the original video file via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Thanks for responding but I'm not sure you understood what I was asking. The problem I'm describing is all over the internet and common with drone users. You can find a lot of info about panning and fast panning contributing to the problem, not to mention the frame rate used for filming as well as playback.

So far, what I've found is that even with a proper frame rate conversion to match a time line or other clips, the smoothest video will be when the frame rates match exactly and there is slow and controlled yaw movements.

I'm still doing research but the footage that was giving me the problem, is smooth and steady when my video timeline is at the exact same frame rate as that of the video captured.
2023-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-19 06:12
Thanks for responding but I'm not sure you understood what I was asking. The problem I'm describing is all over the internet and common with drone users. You can find a lot of info about panning and fast panning contributing to the problem, not to mention the frame rate used for filming as well as playback.

So far, what I've found is that even with a proper frame rate conversion to match a time line or other clips, the smoothest video will be when the frame rates match exactly and there is slow and controlled yaw movements.

Thank you for your response. We appreciate you for sharing this test that you've conducted on the unit. Feel free to provide us with the original video about the issue so we can investigate this further and provide you with an accurate resolution. We appreciate your valued support.
2023-12-22
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-22 00:51
Thank you for your response. We appreciate you for sharing this test that you've conducted on the unit. Feel free to provide us with the original video about the issue so we can investigate this further and provide you with an accurate resolution. We appreciate your valued support.

Thanks again. I do see a lot of videos with people attempting to correct the stutter from drone footage. None of the recommendations help me. I've tried everything possible.

Is there chance that this isn't a video or frame rate problem and there is a problem with the drone? I wouldn't want to assume that or send in my drone for a repair if this is a common or known problem with a solution.
2023-12-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Post a video clip for us to look at and then we can actually see what's happening.
2023-12-22
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

I've uploaded 2 clips from the drone and one clip that is a screen recording from the controller. The screen recording contains the video from the 2 clips.

I see the stutter in various parts of the clips. I'm not referring to the fast pans or when I'm repositioning the drone quickly. There are many places where I've seen the stutter come and go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... LQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 2t/view?usp=sharing
2023-12-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-23 05:01
I've uploaded 2 clips from the drone and one clip that is a screen recording from the controller. The screen recording contains the video from the 2 clips.

I see the stutter in various parts of the clips. I'm not referring to the fast pans or when I'm repositioning the drone quickly. There are many places where I've seen the stutter come and go.

Sorry for the late response, Robert. Upon checking the video file that you had posted, it seems that this behavior is under normal range, feel free to use the product. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Happy holidays!
2023-12-26
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-26 04:25
Sorry for the late response, Robert. Upon checking the video file that you had posted, it seems that this behavior is under normal range, feel free to use the product. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Happy holidays!

I was hoping for a more comprehensive answer. Why does it happen? Why do I see the stutter sometimes and not others? Some sections of those clips will stutter but the next time I play then, there is no stutter. How do you explain that? How do film makers and drone pilots ensure buttery smooth footage? I see the stutter even when the drone isn't doing a hard or fast pan.

I'd love to get some technical info on this topic.
2023-12-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-26 04:51
I was hoping for a more comprehensive answer. Why does it happen? Why do I see the stutter sometimes and not others? Some sections of those clips will stutter but the next time I play then, there is no stutter. How do you explain that? How do film makers and drone pilots ensure buttery smooth footage? I see the stutter even when the drone isn't doing a hard or fast pan.

I'd love to get some technical info on this topic.

Thank you for your response, Robert, and we're sorry if the response did not meet your expectations. Please make sure to update/refresh the firmware of both aircraft and controller using the DJI Assistant 2 software and see if there are any changes to the issue. We will also forward this to our relevant team for further clarification. I will surely update you once we receive an update. We appreciate your patience.
2023-12-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-26 04:51

I'd love to get some technical info on this topic.

Your footage looks pretty normal to me. As someone who doesn't shoot in 60fps very often, it's smooth by comparison to the 30/25fps I usually film at. Is there a purpose that you're filming at 60fps, as it's a bit of a novice thing to do in the attempt to smooth out footage, when the opposite is in fact the most cinematic way to capture video (which does seem counterintuitive).

One thing I would bring up is that you film in Auto White Balance. Don't do this. I can see your footage changing WB and I can see a mild heartbeat in the footage when the checkframe (or whatever it's called) comes round and makes adjustments. If you have an editing program with a 'scopes' you'll be able to see a flash every so often which is methodical, this is the frame that it uses to make adjustments and you'll see a change which can appear to be a stutter, when in fact it's an adjustment.

If you set your WB to 5000k for outdoors then you can always adjust it knowing the WB is fixed. With AWB you can't ever adjust for it as it's always changing. I've not personally seen this 'heatbeat' in a while in the more modern DJI drones. Probably the original Mavic was the last time I saw this in fact.

Whilst searching the DJI forums for some additional info on your issue, I did find that someone felt the footage was stuttering and this was fixed using a better memory card. You may want to check your card and ensure it's not a fake.

Finally, your screen recording versus the actual footage will always be slightly different. The screen will playback footage differently to what's recorded, but only slightly. Examples of this are at night when taking photos and the shutter is slower than the lowest video framerate the controller can manage. It's not worth going off anything the screen shows you and always refer to your recorded footage for issues.
2023-12-30
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-30 00:35
Your footage looks pretty normal to me. As someone who doesn't shoot in 60fps very often, it's smooth by comparison to the 30/25fps I usually film at. Is there a purpose that you're filming at 60fps, as it's a bit of a novice thing to do in the attempt to smooth out footage, when the opposite is in fact the most cinematic way to capture video (which does seem counterintuitive).

One thing I would bring up is that you film in Auto White Balance. Don't do this. I can see your footage changing WB and I can see a mild heartbeat in the footage when the checkframe (or whatever it's called) comes round and makes adjustments. If you have an editing program with a 'scopes' you'll be able to see a flash every so often which is methodical, this is the frame that it uses to make adjustments and you'll see a change which can appear to be a stutter, when in fact it's an adjustment.

Thanks for the reply. I don't film at 60fps to smooth things out. I shoot at 60fps for the detail and clarity I get. I'm not trying to achieve that cinematic look. I come from a still photography background, so I absolutely understand about white balance. There are times when light is constantly changing and I will shoot with AWB and just make my adjustments in post. Regarding the micro sd card.... that was one of the first things I checked. I'm using an authentic Sandisk Extreme Pro and that is not contributing to the issue.

I'm well aware of ways to reduce or nearly eliminate stutter from my footage, but the one remaining thing that I can't solve or get an explanation for is why the stutter will appear sometimes and then isn't there when you play back the exact same spot in the clip. If it was predictable or if I could isolate the clip or section, that would be ok, but some of the clips with stutter will have stutter on one playback and then either not be there or it appears in another spot. Is there an explanation for that?
2023-12-30
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-30 05:12
Thanks for the reply. I don't film at 60fps to smooth things out. I shoot at 60fps for the detail and clarity I get. I'm not trying to achieve that cinematic look. I come from a still photography background, so I absolutely understand about white balance. There are times when light is constantly changing and I will shoot with AWB and just make my adjustments in post. Regarding the micro sd card.... that was one of the first things I checked. I'm using an authentic Sandisk Extreme Pro and that is not contributing to the issue.

I'm well aware of ways to reduce or nearly eliminate stutter from my footage, but the one remaining thing that I can't solve or get an explanation for is why the stutter will appear sometimes and then isn't there when you play back the exact same spot in the clip. If it was predictable or if I could isolate the clip or section, that would be ok, but some of the clips with stutter will have stutter on one playback and then either not be there or it appears in another spot. Is there an explanation for that?

Some people will disagree on this forum, but 60fps (in my opinion) doesn't equal greater quality and clarity.

The bitrate for 30fps vs 60fps will only favour the lower number. It used to be a case that the 60fps shared the 100Mb bitrate and therefore the quality of the footage was halved. I don't think it's quite this bad these days, but there has to be a give somewhere.

My point is that it's better to give fewer frames better data than trying to spread the total allowable data between many.
2023-12-30
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-30 13:46
Some people will disagree on this forum, but 60fps (in my opinion) doesn't equal greater quality and clarity.

The bitrate for 30fps vs 60fps will only favour the lower number. It used to be a case that the 60fps shared the 100Mb bitrate and therefore the quality of the footage was halved. I don't think it's quite this bad these days, but there has to be a give somewhere.

OK, but regardless of frame rate, why do some clips that display stutter on one playback not show stutter on another playback? Or display it in a different spot? That's the real mystery here.
2023-12-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-30 13:49
OK, but regardless of frame rate, why do some clips that display stutter on one playback not show stutter on another playback? Or display it in a different spot? That's the real mystery here.

Part of it card related, part is playback device related. Try recording 10 seconds at 60 fps and 10 seconds at 30 fps. Then check the playback.
2023-12-30
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-30 14:44
Part of it card related, part is playback device related. Try recording 10 seconds at 60 fps and 10 seconds at 30 fps. Then check the playback.

I'm using a fast 256GB SanDisk Extreme Pro card. A lot of the comments and suggestions are ignoring the basic question about the stutter.

I can play a clip and see stutter. I note the time. I play back again and no stutter. Play it again and there is stutter in a different place. So far, I've gotten no explanation for that.
2023-12-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-30 14:48
I'm using a fast 256GB SanDisk Extreme Pro card. A lot of the comments and suggestions are ignoring the basic question about the stutter.

I can play a clip and see stutter. I note the time. I play back again and no stutter. Play it again and there is stutter in a different place. So far, I've gotten no explanation for that.

Have you tried a different playback device? PC, laptop, better tablet?
2023-12-30
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-30 17:04
Have you tried a different playback device? PC, laptop, better tablet?

I've tried different players and editors as well as my laptop, phone and tablet. The stutter comes and goes intermittently on all devices.

It's so weird. I understand how  yaw and gimbal movements can cause stutter and I can capture video without stutter if I'm careful with those movements, but I don't understand how stutter can come and go in playback.
2023-12-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-30 17:09
I've tried different players and editors as well as my laptop, phone and tablet. The stutter comes and goes intermittently on all devices.

It's so weird. I understand how  yaw and gimbal movements can cause stutter and I can capture video without stutter if I'm careful with those movements, but I don't understand how stutter can come and go in playback.

Try a different card, that is the ONLY common factor.
2023-12-30
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-30 18:10
Try a different card, that is the ONLY common factor.

This is actually a new card. The stuttering was there with a different card.

But still, how can the stutter come and go? How can it be the file on the card if it behaves differently on each playback? I know it's not my Mac Studio because I've also captured beautifully buttery smooth footage with the same drone and same card and then played and edited on the same Mac.

Like I said, I know how fast yaw and gimbal movements can cause stuttering, and I've also edited the gain and expo to smooth a lot of that out. It's the inconsistency of the stuttering clips that is so baffling.

I should also mention that I posted the same video clips in the BlackMagic/Davinci Resolve forums and there was one person that said the clips were smooth with no stuttering and a few others said they could see it but it was also inconsistent.

None of it makes sense. It's voodoo.. LOL
2023-12-30
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-30 18:20
This is actually a new card. The stuttering was there with a different card.

But still, how can the stutter come and go? How can it be the file on the card if it behaves differently on each playback? I know it's not my Mac Studio because I've also captured beautifully buttery smooth footage with the same drone and same card and then played and edited on the same Mac.

Question - are you filming in h.264 by any chance? I know that you'll have issues with playback if you've shot with this and if you've got a fast Mac it'll probably be doing the best job it can to play it, but dropping the occasional frame.
2023-12-31
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-31 02:45
Question - are you filming in h.264 by any chance? I know that you'll have issues with playback if you've shot with this and if you've got a fast Mac it'll probably be doing the best job it can to play it, but dropping the occasional frame.

H.264 and H.265. If the stutter is going to be there, the codec doesn't make a difference.

I have buttery smooth footage in both codecs and stutter from both as well. But, when I'm very intentional about my yaw and gimbal movements, I can eliminate the stutter that would be induced by fast or jerky movement.

I just wish I could eliminate the random and intermittent stutter in other footage.
2023-12-31
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-31 06:10
H.264 and H.265. If the stutter is going to be there, the codec doesn't make a difference.

I have buttery smooth footage in both codecs and stutter from both as well. But, when I'm very intentional about my yaw and gimbal movements, I can eliminate the stutter that would be induced by fast or jerky movement.

In the nicest possible way, you're completely wrong about the codec.

Always shoot in h.265, especially if the footage is in 10 Bit. You've actually made it even worse by shooting in 60fps, the .264 codec is really not up to handling this footage.

I personally once shot 10bit 50fps in h.264 on a Canon 1Dxiii for a shoot, by accident. All the footage needed transcoding to get it to play back properly. You're only making things hard for yourself (and a client if you're shooting a job).
2023-12-31
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-31 06:32
In the nicest possible way, you're completely wrong about the codec.

Always shoot in h.265, especially if the footage is in 10 Bit. You've actually made it even worse by shooting in 60fps, the .264 codec is really not up to handling this footage.

All well and good but as I've said, I have tons of buttery smooth footage in H.264 and my computer has no trouble with it, and no more trouble than with H.265.

I didn't state that one was better so I don't see how I'm wrong. All I said is that I've shot in both and have the same result. The stutter is coming from something else and it's not written in the file. If it was, it would do the same thing each time and that is not what's happening.
2023-12-31
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robert Mitchell Posted at 2023-12-31 06:37
All well and good but as I've said, I have tons of buttery smooth footage in H.264 and my computer has no trouble with it, and no more trouble than with H.265.

I didn't state that one was better so I don't see how I'm wrong. All I said is that I've shot in both and have the same result. The stutter is coming from something else and it's not written in the file. If it was, it would do the same thing each time and that is not what's happening.

If the stuttering changes each time when you watch the video, then you've got a playback issue with your hardware.

I've played both your clips through and there is no visible stuttering. I can assure you that I am a pixel peeper when it comes to watching footage back and will gladly tell you if there's an issue, but stuttering just isn't there.

I agree that h.264 works, it's just that it doesn't work as efficiently as h.265 and it's evidently giving you a related playback issue. I'd be keen to see some of your clips shot in h.265 to have a look, but my Mac has played your two clips flawlessly. If you're interested, I'm currently using an M1 iMac, 16GB RAM, so it's nothing fancy playing it without issue.

One other thing I noticed is that your SD card is formatted in 32bit. Perhaps more of an observation, but the newer Mavics will format cards to 64bit and it might be preferable to format your SD card in the drone  to have it formatted correctly.
1-1 09:12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 1-1 09:12
If the stuttering changes each time when you watch the video, then you've got a playback issue with your hardware.

I've played both your clips through and there is no visible stuttering. I can assure you that I am a pixel peeper when it comes to watching footage back and will gladly tell you if there's an issue, but stuttering just isn't there.

I agree, I just downloaded it and watched it on my Chromebook. No stutter that I could see. Default viewer and VLC.
1-1 09:33
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Robert Mitchell Posted at 2023-12-26 04:51

I'd love to get some technical info on this topic.

Sorry for the late response. Upon further investigation, we didn't notice any issues when we played the video. Please note that this is under the normal range, please feel free to use it.  Thank you for your understanding.
1-23 23:18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules