New Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 Intelligent Flight Modes
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-8 08:01
Right! the main reason to set the way-points this way is that it's more precised  then a map. and ...

A lot of folks have been asking, and your response makes perfect sense. Thanks.
2015-9-8
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-8 18:28
The RC unit is in his back pack.

I think you can put one waypoint pretty much on top of another,  ...

And yet DJI says to keep controller in your hands? Not setting a very good example!
2015-9-8
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-8 18:46
I don't need the manual myself,  very easy to figure out once you activate a particular mode while in the air, ...

Wish you good luck. Like flying an airplane whitout instructions manuals. One of these days you'll just press on the wrong button, and you will be out 2K$.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-9-8 16:14
Thanks Dave... hope you don't mind me asking these questions because i have some more...lol

Can a  ...

No problem Butch,
I am a Forum Moderator/ Forum Technical Support. I enjoy the technical support side of the job much more. So answering questions about the use of our products is the fun part for me.

Right now with the way the software is you can not run a waypoint mission with poi mission in the middle.
You would have to cancel the way point mission and then run a poi and them restart the waypoint and that would take you to the beginning of the way point mission. You can pause a way point mission and fly the Inspire manually then resume the waypoint mission.

I like your idea though and I will for sure bring it up at my next team meeting and also bring it up with the engineers.

Dave
2015-9-8
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Czyka Posted at 2015-9-8 20:36
After reading the Autoflight Logic manual I would like to apologize for my criticism.

Can you provide a link to this manual?  Thanks.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-9-8 17:18
Re the RC unit in the backpack . . . looking forward to seeing something similar to this item in th ...

I have a feeling DJI just might come out with something like that soon.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Czyka Posted at 2015-9-8 17:36
After reading the Autoflight Logic manual I would like to apologize for my criticism.

No problem, I understand some people are frustrated and I can sympathize.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

capbat Posted at 2015-9-8 07:21
It seems that DJI is always in a rush to get their new app and software out before any manuals or  ...

Simply not true!  Most all of our products come out with the owners manual coming out on the same day.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

capbat Posted at 2015-9-8 18:34
Wish you good luck. Like flying an airplane whitout instructions manuals. One of these days you'll ...

Actually in CaveDrone's defense he is correct. Once airborne and once you start a mission it walks you through it and it is very intuitive.

Have you tried it yet?
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-9-8 15:32
I will take exception with one comment, even though I do think you should be able to choose the wayp ...

POI is not savable. Sorry.
2015-9-8
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-8 18:41
I have a feeling DJI just might come out with something like that soon.

Thank you Dave for your response.  It is encouraging to know that DJI staffers monitor these forums.  Please don't forget my offer to test prototypes
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-9-8 20:23
Thank you Dave for your response.  It is encouraging to know that DJI staffers monitor these forum ...

I won't forget.
2015-9-8
Use props
texmaster
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-8 19:01
Right! the main reason to set the way-points this way is that it's more precised  then a map. and ...

I'd much prefer the option to assign without flying the route first and let us accept the risk because forcing us to fly the route first has its own risk.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

texmaster Posted at 2015-9-9 13:59
I'd much prefer the option to assign without flying the route first and let us accept the risk bec ...

we just wouldn't like you to crash into the tree which is not marked on a map, flying your waypoints
2015-9-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

texmaster Posted at 2015-9-8 22:59
I'd much prefer the option to assign without flying the route first and let us accept the risk bec ...

Textmaster, I understand your frustration.  However, you are an experienced user that understands the risk and is willing to accept the responsibility.  You are more unique than being the norm.  Sorry.
2015-9-8
Use props
r_helmus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18855 ft
Netherlands

FlyGuy Posted at 2015-9-8 17:49
I have the same issue. I can enable multiple flight mode but can't switch the IOC button  in the a ...

Hi FLYGUY

1.what icon appears in the app (on yr screen) when you flip the switch to "F mode" ? nothing of that happens in my case.
2. do i understand correctly that you actually  can access  AND fly in all the different modes? although you can't activatete the IOS bar in your DJI GO app?
should read IOC bar of course :-)

Rob

2015-9-8
Use props
r_helmus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18855 ft
Netherlands

Show Me Drone Posted at 2015-9-8 23:15
I had the same problem so I deleted the DJI Go app from my tablet and then re-downloaded it and th ...

hi,

i did that several times on my 2 (tw) tablets android and ipad air. did not work for me.

Rob
2015-9-9
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Well tested all new flight modes out today.... all working well. Thxs guys at DJI
2015-9-9
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

r_helmus@hotmai Posted at 2015-9-9 09:51
Hi FLYGUY

1.what icon appears in the app (on yr screen) when you flip the switch to "F mode" ? not ...

hi,

in the app you must turn on multiple flight modes.

once the aircraft is in the air, you flip your RC switch to F mode.

at this point a huge black'ish type box (kinda in the way, DJI) pops up on your screen.

go from there...  

hope it helps.

edit: yes, the IOC is greyed out.
2015-9-9
Use props
tomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3788478 ft
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-9 11:51
Actually in CaveDrone's defense he is correct. Once airborne and once you start a mission it walks ...

Hey Dave

I love the the new waypoints well done guys , Is there a way to rename the saved waypoint routes  so we know what locations were were at when we saved them

Cheers
2015-9-9
Use props
robkuijpers
New

Netherlands

Linolens Posted at 2015-9-8 16:38
seems like you're not the only one.
Might be a bug
At least there are reports of more stability at ...

First tried an apple phone and everything worked
i removed the old app from the android phone downloaded again from the dji site
Problem was solved
2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-8 23:29
Demanding things here is not going to work very well for you!

Maybe you have a better suggestion? Whats your comment to the gap between your promised PLAN AUTONOMOUS FLIGHT ON MAP as shown above and your actual implementation of waypoints?

Whats your comment to the actual problems written in my explaination that your implementation of waypoints causes? I am open for any solutions.

So first you make an unmisunderstanding clear announcement of coming features to get the sales - and then you are angry if someone actually demands it?

I have a very open ear to hear from you whats wrong with that as I dont understand it and what you would suggest to do to get announced features.

However i want to make clear i am not english speaking and demanding something which was promised is not considered unfriendly by me. If you would have a german forum as you are also selling to germany I probably would find better words.
2015-9-9
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-9 11:39
Maybe you have a better suggestion? Whats your comment to the gap between your promised PLAN AUTON ...

Hi Machoman,

let me preface this by saying that i do not want to ruffle your feathers/ upset you further. i am just trying to help.

the waypoint feature that DJI so kindly provided to us is the best of all worlds combined. they simply cannot have people planning insane flying courses sight unseen. it would be far too dangerous. like flying close to (i am assuming as it was not specified) moving trains, for example. :/

and if you want to cut down to the nitty gritty of the language, they delivered on being able to plan autonomous flight via a map. you utilize the map whilst planning your waypoints. after it is planned, on a map, the Phantom/ Inspire will fly it. yes, you do have to fly it first. i imagine that train schedules run pretty smoothly in Austria. can you plan that way to be at a specific time & place and fly manually? (if this is your cup-o-tea...)

another thing, why would you ever buy a device/gadget/ serious piece of machinery based on what someone tells you it WILL DO in the future? this seems like setting yourself up for disappointment. It is great to have possibilities, but one would surely buy their equipment based on the satisfaction it can provide presently.

as far as i can see, DJI has come through on features that "the masses" wanted and most seem to enjoy having the ability to use in a safe and constructive manner.
2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-9 09:22
Textmaster, I understand your frustration.  However, you are an experienced user that understands  ...

Of course overyone who was in school knows within 30 people there are 3 almost stupid. You know them all the years in school but after that they escape in anonymity and of course - can also buy a drone.

But it cannot be the solution to waive promised features "Autonomous flight...plan on map" and just say sorry? No one forced DJI to make this promises but customers trusted you. If you changed your mind whats at least with a compensation as it was DJI mistake to accounce this - 2 free batterys for everyone and who accepts this offer thereby agrees also not to return it for a full refund (in countries like EU where until consumer law this is applicable)? You put a serious clear announcement go generate more sales and spread the word. So it cannot be just sorry if those promises are broken.

Also as I pointed out its much more unsafe to fly near obstacles with just the view on the tablet then program it on the map. Or is the Inspire1 GPS so unaccurate? If its accuracy is as example 5m why not just make a warning window and point it out in the manual that waypoints have to be that far from any obstacle?

You could just make bigger clear red-yellow warning messages for everything (of course with dont show again options) that also stupids understand it.

Another possibility could be to unlock features only after lets say 20 flight hours to make sure pilots who plan on map have already flight practice. As you record flight hours in a database this should not be a technical problem
2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-9-9 11:56
Hi Machoman,

let me preface this by saying that i do not want to ruffle your feathers/ upset you  ...

Unfortunately in Austria and MOST most other countries normal trains are total uninteresting (for me). Now as we have the drone technics - trains are gone. If if would be so easy just to wait for the next I would not have a problem with this. Also I can of course not follow very fast trains.

So there are only few special trains which are applicable. They go once a year probably. Also I dont fly 5m near to them but planning to go along the track not to loose them - i am still testing - and I just have seen that following the train manually is very hard especially to keep the same distance as yaw has to be avoided. (yaw is a video problem at 30p but thats another science)

I made videos of one of the few steam trains left with reguar schedule and was facing the typical problems without the map planning. Of course waypoints are not the right solution in all situations but in some. For this train the DJI implemenation may be fine enough if staying few days there. But if the train would go only once like in 99% of cases it would not be usable. Especially in the middle and end part waypoints would have helped.

regarding your other questions: Yes i buy products for features promised in future if I dont think they will get cheaper until that time anyway so I can start practicing.

Also as you can see in my video it was very hard to guess distance from trees so I often kept too much distance to stay safe. On the tablet this cannot be seen but later in the video you often think why the hell does it not go nearer there is soooo much space left. I already tested how much distance i really have from obstacles at different pitch settings but it looks so near on the tablet that I still often keep too much distance.

Also what if I want to change just one waypoint? With DJI I have to fly all again then?
2015-9-9
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-9 12:23
Unfortunately in Austria and MOST most other countries normal trains are total uninteresting (for m ...

not sure about changing waypoints, haven't flown them yet... but what about deleting them in flight? a possible solution then would be to map out extras and then delete them during flight if necessary. that would be an interesting add-on feature if not there already.

going to have a look at your video now.

2015-9-9
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-9-9 12:43
not sure about changing waypoints, haven't flown them yet... but what about deleting them in fligh ...

cool train.

i see what you mean in some regards, but to be honest with all of the trees and whatnot in that particular location i am not sure i would be trusting too much "pre-programmed" flying anyway. you don't want your sweet I1 stuck in a tree trying to fly out waypoints. ;)
2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

No in such scenario the waypoints would only have been at the open parts or following the track at 100m alt, actually what cannot be seen on the videos is that I often lost the train on the mountain because of bad tablet view and also finding the track in the trees without steam was not possible at some points. So making waypoints on the map at 100m altitude following the track would have been useful in specific situations. Problem is also that in the sun you cannot see anything in such a scenario, is has to be planned at home with secure altitude settings and then probably after a test flight adjust altitude if possible. Doing this at the mountain would also cost more then one battery.

With special trains there is the additional problem that they are sometimes very late and you dont know exactly when it comes. I also lost batterties for such reason so using another one for on site planning is practically impossible. I have six batteries and 2 chargers and try even to book hotels that i can put some for charging while using others but with 10 batteries despite the cost alone the handling would get almost impossible.

I am using 3rd party software at the moment but the problem with it is that DJI just limits SDK features like just for fun with each "update" and i am afraid some day they will destroy it completely bringing all DJI GO-LIMITS to all other apps also. Whats then? Like now whats the situation?

1. all features have to be tested again after each "update" - i mean it cannot be that half battery life is needed only for testing due to sometimes even undocumented SDK changes, new limits, restricitons
2. i need the 55km/h speed sometimes worked for weeks and then suddenly with new SDK it was only 36 km/h anymore. DJI spoiled the 3rd party apps making them useless for some people. A SDK should be only allowed to be enhanced and upgraded with new features but not REMOVED or LIMITED EXISTING FEATURES so already working apps do npt work properly anymore. This in my opinion is very bad behaviour and shows no respect for customers and app programming partners. With 36 km/h I could not use waypoints for most trains, their speed is 40-60 normally.
2015-9-9
Use props
flire8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2546572 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

I did not understand why I have to fly over the POI to be able to record it - if I want to make a building or other object, after all it is not allowed to fly over it :-(
2015-9-9
Use props
Jonathan DesJar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 469984 ft
United States

my opinion on speed limitations... NOBODY needs a Quad flying @ 30+ MPH by itself. Fly it if you need speed. Again just my simple opinion
2015-9-9
Use props
tomtnt.gmail
lvl.2

United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-9-8 17:18
Re the RC unit in the backpack . . . looking forward to seeing something similar to this item in th ...

LITCHI For Android has something similar.  It allows you to use a 2nd phone as the follow device.  Main phone/tablet connected to RC and controlled by primary operator.  2nd phone carried by skier or wakeboarder in waterproof case.  

Only limitation is that it is dependent on both devices having internet access which can be difficult in remote places.  
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-8 13:37
I strongly disagree with this.

If not using a FPV glasses you actually can see MUCH BETTER ON THE  ...

Wow.  Brutal message. You demand it?  That altitude not good enough?  Who needs to go higher than that?  If you do, get a pilots license.
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

FlyRi Posted at 2015-9-8 15:51
Nice option,  fly over, waypoints...

But 3D Solo has much better solution, Cable cam, record point  ...

Does anyone actually fly their P3 or Inspire?  I see these modes as a nice addition, but doubt that I will use them as I can fly POI, and with a second operator, do it better than automatic modes.  The solo is better?  Hope you enjoy that curved horizon with your gopro in 4K.
2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Jonathan DesJar Posted at 2015-9-9 16:58
my opinion on speed limitations... NOBODY needs a Quad flying @ 30+ MPH by itself. Fly it if you nee ...

Well I explained for what I  need it and I bought it because its specifications said it flies at the speed I need.

btw there are many postings here where pilots could get back the drone just in time with few % battery left. Dont want to know how many crashes more would have been reported with lower return speed.
2015-9-9
Use props
FlyGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106483 ft
Belgium

r_helmus@hotmai Posted at 2015-9-9 09:51
Hi FLYGUY

1.what icon appears in the app (on yr screen) when you flip the switch to "F mode" ? not ...

Rob,

It's a icon that looks like the one you can see in the right button corner, which shows you the direction of your Inspire.  This new icon can be found left of  the status bar. If you tap on it the flight modes will appear. I don't think that enable IOC has anything to do with it but you do have to enable multiple flight mode.
In the simulator these modes, except follow me, can be tested.  Strangly in the same simulator the landing gear won't raise automaticaly nore manualy any more.
About the IOC function. I sent an e-mail to DJI Europe. Still waiting for an answer. Wonder what will comes first : a decent manual or their reply
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-9 10:13
Well I explained for what I  need it and I bought it because its specifications said it flies at t ...

That is like saying that people couldn't get home with the gas they have due to the 100 kph speed limit so make things safer and increase the speed limit.
Makes no sense.
If you can't judge your distance and know your batteries, then again, maybe put in more practice and time.  I have never had an issue with the inspire and the run time, or speed.  The inspire is a work tool, and any "work" I do with it has never needed me to be higher, or fly faster, than what it already does.  Not once.  
2015-9-9
Use props
Sirstones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

OK, so i have just updated to V1.4 and to be honest it went very smoothly, no reloads or failed messages... so i'mont sure where others are having issues.

... there is of course a but, Now I have had a trouble free updated, so I can use all the really cool new features, that to be honest might actually be really useful for me... I now find out the 'FOLLOW ME' addition will not work with an iPad MINI 2 WiFi only... really!! WHY not (please, can someone explain)

So Question? does this mean that all the new options will not work with the afore mentioned bit of kit...?

2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Shadrack Posted at 2015-9-9 17:09
Wow.  Brutal message. You demand it?  That altitude not good enough?  Who needs to go higher than  ...

There was no word about altitude in this posting. Its about the 500m range limit in DJI GO-LIMIT waypoint mode. This makes is useless for many.

However as you mention altitude YES this limit is also nonsense, but not that I wanted to fly higher then 150m just understand how it works:

The Inspire does NOT calculate the real altitude over ground and probably will never do. Pilots can start from a hill and fly 1000m over ground in a valley anyway, some of them are not even aware of this but this cannot be changed with a altitude limit but only with tutorials and explainations.

Many pilots are not aware how altitude works - like in the 1345QR thread where someone claimed to have crashed at 403ft while he actually was flying 770ft over ground on a airport landing path but did not realize this. The altitude limit did not prevent this proper documentation how altitude works would have.

On the other side its a problem if I am at a middlestation of a mountain and want to fly up. Probably I will crash into the mountain or even fly into people somewhere (I will not but you know what I mean) because DJI shows me 500m altitude and will stop ascending even i am actually 1m over ground.

So the altitude limit does not support safe flying at all just makes some mountain footage impossible.
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-9 10:50
There was no word about altitude in this posting. Its about the 500m range limit in DJI GO-LIMIT w ...

The altitude is above sea level is it not?  Not AGL?
2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Shadrack Posted at 2015-9-9 17:21
That is like saying that people couldn't get home with the gas they have due to the 100 kph speed  ...

If you would have followed my postings you would have seen that

1. I did not ask for higher speed i opposed the speed cut which happened for some time cutting speed from 55 to 36.  What if you use it like you say as tool for work book a 4000,- Euro trip to narrow gauge train in wales and when you arrived a firmware "update" cuts your speed from 55 to 36 and you cannot do your work then because of this? That was my statement.

2. I never had the described problems but you will find many threads here where pilots could get it back just in the last minute. It didnt happen to me but I am not so egoistic only thinking on my needs and claiming what I dont need nobody needs.
2015-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules