New Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 Intelligent Flight Modes
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Sirstones Posted at 2015-9-9 17:47
OK, so i have just updated to V1.4 and to be honest it went very smoothly, no reloads or failed mess ...

The FOLLOW ME in the DJI GO-LIMIT app will not work with any device with the Inspire as it just does not work with the Inspire in this app.
2015-9-9
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Shadrack Posted at 2015-9-9 17:55
The altitude is above sea level is it not?  Not AGL?

NO its above your starting point! And this is obviousely not well documented.

Actually if you set 60m and fly over the next hill you probably hit a tree - how many pilots out there will be surprised of this thinking that the inspire will go 60m over the hill automatically?

Not to mention that some may think 60m rth altitude is safe. Just fly around a small hill and loose connection behind and on rth it will crash into the tress. A hill with trees ascending just 30m at 1000m will be enough for hitting the plane at at 60m rth. There was such a case here in Forum.

Just few days ago someone posted his 1345QR propellers had a malfunction (which was the reason for me to investigate this case otherwise i wont care what people are doing). He thought flying at 403ft when he suddenly crashed but it turned out he started from a hill and was actually 767ft over ground just 500m from a airport landing path where planes expected to be at exactly 760ft at this point. He was not aware of this and rather surprised when I told him as he crashed on -364ft starting from 403ft he was actually 767ft over grund! Still dont know why it actually crashed but I could guess.

So its a little tricky and the DJI limit is not really helpful to prevent trouble.

And then the described problem if you want to go up a mountain - which I actually had following a train up in Switzerland.
2015-9-9
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I've seen others comment that the top speed has been reduced by about 25%. Is that just in these new special modes, or was the speed of the P3 dropped across the board?

Thanks,
Brad
2015-9-9
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dave it is Butch again with two more questions…I asked this once before and did not receive an answer or I did not see the answer so here it goes again.

I read where when flying a waypoint route if the RC looses connection the aircraft will continue to follow the route… is this true? To me this would indicate that the route information is transmitted and stored onboard the aircraft. This should allow a route to fly behind some obstructions without RTH being activated… is that right?

This question is tied in with the above… If when flying a waypoint route the RC looses contact and continues with the mission will the POI also do the same? Here is why I ask… I am planning to film church spires in my town. I plan to use POI to circle them but I want to do it at a level that is slightly above perpendicular. The POI will have the spire itself blocking the signal  from the RC for a few seconds as it rotates. I hope I am making myself clear. It the signal is lost for those few seconds will the POI continue to rotate or will a RTH be initiated?

Thanks Butch
2015-9-9
Use props
dsm091
New

United States

I hope it fixes mine always give me the bias too large error.
2015-9-9
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Updated software in P3P AND DJI GO and flew today. All worked well. I only tested waypoints as it's all that I need to do geomaps. It does seems a waste to use up a battery just to plan(set waypoints) the mission but I do have 3.  It is unnerving to watch your bird go off on its own the first time. I'll test POI later. Thanks DJI.
2015-9-9
Use props
ihsolutions
New

United States

I just the did the upgrade, and everything worked as advertised.  The only things I did notice however, were the drone seems slightly less stable in the air, and the top speed has been reduced even when flying manually (<30mph top speed). Anyone else experiencing this?
2015-9-9
Use props
jdbell2004
lvl.3
Flight distance : 305289 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sirstones Posted at 2015-9-9 23:47
OK, so i have just updated to V1.4 and to be honest it went very smoothly, no reloads or failed mess ...

You need a cellular capable iPad to use "follow me" as the WiFi only iPads do not have built in GPS.
2015-9-9
Use props
soerheim.emil
lvl.2
Norway

When i try "follow me" i get a message that the device does not support follow me.

I have tried with both my phone and my tab...

2015-9-9
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-8 19:01
Right! the main reason to set the way-points this way is that it's more precised  then a map. and ...

Sorry but that is a cop out! The reason is because DJI wanted to release new software and this feature was not yet working. The Phantom2 V3 had the complete feature set and worked great. What ever they did to the P3 has caused it to not function properly and they obviously are unable to work out the bugs. As yet anyway.
2015-9-9
Use props
rzade
lvl.1

United States

rzade@hotmail.c Posted at 2015-9-10 03:35
Sorry but that is a cop out! The reason is because DJI wanted to release new software and this fea ...

Dumming down applications because someone might crash is not a good way to do business. Your competition isn't playing this game. I feel all of these limits are being imposed because of limits within the aircraft that are driving the software rather than the other way around. IMO the on board computer is under powered or just to slow to work in high demand situations. That is why 3DR went to two computers in their new bird. Having no ground control software is a huge limitation to the promised functions.  IMO with the exception of the camera this bird is a step back not forward. the P2v3+ was a much more functional bird. If you had just put the new camera on the old bird we would have had a better product.
2015-9-9
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-9-9
Use props
Thekameleon
lvl.1

United States

I keep getting a message that states it is unable to start intelligent flight modes and that the IOC has been set
2015-9-9
Use props
abelcassell
New
Flight distance : 96194 ft
United States

Will Follow me be available soon for the Inspire 1, or are we just out of luck?

2015-9-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-9-9 09:37
Dave it is Butch again with two more questions…I asked this once before and did not receive an answ ...

Butch, if RC is lost then yes the mission will continue.  If when the mission is completed RC is still unavailable it will RTH or land depending on the distance to home point and the setup in the App.

If RC is lost when in POI, the craft will continue to circle until the battery runs out and it lands or it is taken out of IOC and the operator regains control.  This was verified with DJI HQ.
2015-9-9
Use props
freddy.4.u
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2792621 ft
Canada

You cannot imagine how incredibly disappointed I am with DJI giving "follow me" to my competitor with a Phantom 3 and I cannot do "follow me" with the vastly more expensive Inspire 1??  can you see how backwards that is? please tell me that very soon Inspire 1 owners will have the "Follow Me" mode  
2015-9-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

freddy.4.u Posted at 2015-9-9 19:34
You cannot imagine how incredibly disappointed I am with DJI giving "follow me" to my competitor wit ...

Right now we do not know.  The Inspire is an entirely different craft than the Phantom.  13.5" props very powerful motors and 6S lipos.  You saw what happened to Julio when he tried to hand catch one on stage.  What would happen if you were on a bike and something went wrong.  An Inspire could cause some serious damage.  The Phantom, not so much.  DJI continues to work on the problem and will release when they are satisfied that it is a viable solution for the Inspire.
There are third party solutions if you feel that you cannot wait for DJI to provide an acceptable answer.
2015-9-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

rzade@hotmail.c Posted at 2015-9-10 04:15
Dumming down applications because someone might crash is not a good way to do business. Your compe ...

If you are that much unhappy with new features, DJI has other products could statisfy you: Ground Station is exactly the one you need
http://www.dji.com/product/ipad-ground-station
Use it with A2 controller, on S900 or S1000 for the best flight experience!

2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-9 11:08
NO its above your starting point! And this is obviousely not well documented.

Actually if you set  ...

"He was not aware of this?"
Maybe he should be.
Maybe people shouldn't depend on the features and actually use their eyes to look at things.  Use their eyes and feet to walk the course, or to scope out the location.
How could he not know he was 500 meters from an airport?
You just want to complain it seems.
Almost too much.
I love this product.
I just updated the firmware and it does exactly what it was supposed to do.
You can create all the situations you want, but if you use this safely, in LOS, and using good safe practices, then it is a great craft.
If you don't like it, then sell it, return it, do something, but stop complaining over and over without doing something about it.
I can't speak for everyone else, but it is getting annoying to me.
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-9-9 11:37
Dave it is Butch again with two more questions…I asked this once before and did not receive an answ ...

You guys must have different rules there.
No way I get to fly around churches and do shots like that here.  We have one in the country, but here in the city, not a hope.
Totally not safe and the chance of having a drone fall into traffic is too much.
I would love to do that but would get in some trouble here.
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

rzade@hotmail.c Posted at 2015-9-9 15:15
Dumming down applications because someone might crash is not a good way to do business. Your compe ...

Then don't buy one.
Buy a solo.
Get a lot of automatic functions.
Maybe have it so you can push a button and have it even think what path to fly and record.
You are making presumptions about needing two processors because that isn't really the way things work.  Having more processors doesn't make things better.   You see all those fails by the Solo, smashing into a trailer, spinning out at a demo show so the guy had to step on it?
Limitation with the Solo is is depends on the crappy GP and the curved 4K video.  
Amazing how many people are on these forums and do nothing but complain.

I updated today.  Tested today, and drift is gone, maybe flies slower but it didn't feel that way to me.  POI works perfectly, and the android version running on an Nvidia shield worked flawlessly.
Don't care about the other modes.
Bought this to do work with an operator.
Not to do things while I watched.
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-9 21:38
Right now we do not know.  The Inspire is an entirely different craft than the Phantom.  13.5" prop ...

Exactly.
Why do people not get this?
Bigger, heavier, lot more potential for damage.
Professional craft not meant to do gimmick things like follow me.
Want to be followed, then have someone fly it for you and follow you.
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-9 22:08
If you are that much unhappy with new features, DJI has other products could statisfy you: Ground S ...

I have that, and an S1000 and A2, and never use it.
Why would I?
What for?
Crops?  I want to do that, I use a wing with an hour run time.
2015-9-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

tomax Posted at 2015-9-9 02:16
Hey Dave

I love the the new waypoints well done guys , Is there a way to rename the saved waypoi ...

Thanks, nice to hear a positive voice for a change. I know exactly what you mean about being able to save the way points with a name. I thought of the exact same thing when I first tried it.
I will  make the suggestion to the engineers. And follow up with them to see if I can get that to happen.
That's about all I can do, it's not up to me how any of this gets implemented.
2015-9-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-9-9 01:24
Well tested all new flight modes out today.... all working well. Thxs guys at DJI

Thanks, I am also enjoying the new features with my Inspire and P3.
2015-9-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-9-9 09:37

Hi Buch,

Looks like Ed was able to answer your questions.
2015-9-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-9 02:39
Maybe you have a better suggestion? Whats your comment to the gap between your promised PLAN AUTON ...

I have seen you complaining in this thread and in several others. I don't really know what I can say to you at this point that would make you happy.

2015-9-9
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

tomtnt.gmail Posted at 2015-9-9 02:51
Really?  you DEMAND it?  I'm sure they'll listen to your DEMANDS.   If you are unhappy - perhaps y ...

Thats actually not true at all. They did in fact promise ground station.....
2015-9-9
Use props
tim foster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

the speed thing is a bummer i need to fly out over water to film yachts and need to get on site asap this only cuts my time on mission ill stay on .06 pilot app 1.1.2 sorry to here all the trouble some are having, with the older firmware .06 i think the inspire is awsome no update for me.  Just my 2cents but for this much money learn how to fly P.O.I. ON YOUR OWN!!
2015-9-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

tim foster Posted at 2015-9-9 22:30
the speed thing is a bummer i need to fly out over water to film yachts and need to get on site asap ...

That is your choice.  I understand your issue and the need for speed and appreciate that.
2015-9-9
Use props
tim foster
lvl.2
United States

i dont deny the inspire is a great piece of kit!! i love it...
2015-9-9
Use props
christopher.kee
lvl.2
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-9 22:38
Right now we do not know.  The Inspire is an entirely different craft than the Phantom.  13.5" prop ...

I must respectfully disagree. The phantom is no less a potential hazard compared to the Inspire 1.

The Julio Iglesias video that you mentioned :

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was irritated to the point of disbelief at Julio Iglesias obliviousness and really obvious stupidity.

For one, how strong did he think the drone was really? Did he think he could grab hold and just fly away? He kept on tugging at the camera and I am sure that the inspire gave a negative jerky feedback long before the accident did happen.

I am sure he has been in more than one helicopter. This lesson could very well saved his life in the by warning him not to do jumping jacks around the rear rotor of a heli in the future. C'mon are u serious Enrique!?!

The Main thing I came here to ask to DJI Tim or Dave is, what are the real reasons for not applying the follow me feature to the Inspire 1? If these were cars, I believe greater responsibility would be given to the more responsive and agile vehicle, not the other way around, don't you think?  

In conclusion and celebration of Enrique's Idiocy and complete obliviousness, I give to you one of my favorite songs by Julio Iglesias from the 80s:

2015-9-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Dave, Ed, Tim, etc.  So many on this thread ...

This thread has got moderators all over it and some comments about possibly flying close to trees in waypoint auto mode are all logical responses. Could you explain then how this is controlled in the other ground stations models such as the S1000 etc. as surely this risk is also prevalent with the Inspire platform.

Would be nice if this amount of interest was shown on other threads also as some questions have simply gone unanswered.  Such as what is "Smart Go Home"  what happens when it is enabled and disabled.

On the other side, I applaud DJI and appreciate that updates are being released with incremental bug fixes etc. which are gladly welcomed.  The moderators job is certainly not an easy task and requires patience, so thanks for sticking with us and I apologise if you feel that I am or have in the past in any way been getting on your back for any issues, as this is certainly not the case, you are just the link to the higher levels of DJI where frustrations are directed.

2015-9-10
Use props
huntingtherut
New

United States

I'm having a problem with this upgrade and I'm hoping someone here can help. I have the Phantom 3 Professional and have had zero issues with any of the firmware upgrades until 1.4.1. After downloading and installing the firmware, my aircraft will not connect to my controller. The txt file says success, but when I turn on the flight battery to start flying (like I've been doing for weeks now) it ends up with flashing yellow lights. I've reinstalled the DJI Go app as well. Now the app will not get out of "connect your aircraft", and will not even enter camera view. I'm hoping/assuming it might be something simple that I'm overlooking, but darn if I an figure it out. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
2015-9-10
Use props
tim foster
lvl.2
United States

You need to re bind the controller to the aircraft look up the procedure it's pretty easy sorry I couldn't be more help
2015-9-10
Use props
huntingtherut
New

United States

tim foster Posted at 2015-9-10 06:08
You need to re bind the controller to the aircraft look up the procedure it's pretty easy sorry I co ...

I've tried that too. Thanks. I'll have to try a few things again tonight after work I guess. *fingers crossed*
2015-9-10
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-10 07:23
I have seen you complaining in this thread and in several others. I don't really know what I can sa ...

Dave, I am just afraid that future firmware updates will bring more and more limits so that also 3rd party software will only allow waypoints within 500m radius or like that. Thats all. I dont really care if DJI brings the features like promised because its rediculous to claim about spending USD 20,- for 3rd party software but I am worried that everything gets limited like DJI GO is now.

What you could do say is that DJI will not limit SDK features so at least 3rd party software can be developed without permanent risk of loosing features with next update.

I understand the reasons DJI imposes limits and restrictions
- less intelligent population also buying drones focus of course on the cheaper ones but the more range and freedom they have the more accidents will happen
- less speed, less range, less radius .... probably less warranty repairs
- obeying government regulations of all kind (while I dont see any advantage DJI will have from this)

I also understand DJI does not want to read in newspapers DJI drone shoot down cessna, but even government planning papers say "accidents with drones will happen".  Like someone goes to the top of a mountain and fies in 5m alt - he may think he is just over the groud - a straigth line of 500m and directly hits a cessna or a helicopter actually 1500m over ground. There is no limit or firmware you can prevent this unless the avoid technology is here.

Solutions could be

- Big clear warning messages instead of firmware limits. Why not more hefty warning like "If you remove this limit your insurance may not pay and you could be hold liable for a million USD in case of accident" I think this will hold of simple charakters from trying things they dont really understand.

- features unlocked after several flying hours. You have a database of flying hours with DJI GO. It can not be technically impossible to unlock features or remove limits after some hours of flying experience.

- better documentation of critical things which cause accidents especially how altitude works. Have a look at the postings even in this Forum many still think altitude shown is over sea or over ground. Especially people far away from big mountians will take a time to realize this. Most buyers are probably not in any forum what will they think? In my opinion this is the main reason for pilots fault accidents happening including simple things like just flying into a tree with rth because the direct way goes over a hill.

- different firmware for P3 and Inspire. Yes its more work but only little if its just range, radius, alt differences. Its obvious the P3 can easliy blown away from even light winds and its much more unsecure at higher radius. It makes less damage when it falls down but the risk it cannot go home against the wind is much higher. I also expect the not so clever part of the population rather buying the P3 then the Inspire. Its not really resonable giving the same limits to the much more stable inspire.

2015-9-10
Use props
schwartz
New

Germany

I like the Waypoint modus... work fine , thanks.
I had an idea to do it a little bit better: It will be very cool if you could control the movement on the path
by the (right) stick too. Alternate to the auto-movement by chosing speed and press start.

Forward: Move along the path from WP1 over WP2 to WP3 including altitude.
Backward: Move along the path from WP3 over WP2 to WP1 including altitude.

This will be very helpfull at racetracks to get one racer after another at different speed.
Working like CL but on an fixed track.

Possible at next update ?

bad english ... better pilot ;-)
2015-9-10
Use props
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

Czyka Posted at 2015-9-8 01:31
Wasn't there enough time for someone to write a manual describing how to implement these functions?

i'm going to update my P3P later on today.

is there any special instructions on how to install this update or do i just put it on my formatted micro sd and put it in the phantom and put it on a thumb drive for the remote?

thanks in advance.
2015-9-10
Use props
barleydave
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80810 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-9 02:39
No problem Butch,
I am a Forum Moderator/ Forum Technical Support. I enjoy the technical support s ...

Perhaps you could record 2 waypoint missions and save them, one up to the point you want to do your POI then then next from that point on for the rest of the flight?
I have not flown yet since upgrading, so not sure what happens once you reach your last waypoint (stop and wait or return to WP1), so not sure if my idea would work?

Dave
2015-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules