US National parks vs other Federally administrated land
1388 9 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

I know that US National parks are off limits, but are other federally administrated areas off limits as well?  Specifically, Mt St Helens Nantional Volcanic Monument?  I had assumed it was off limits but a co-worker posted the link below and I'm jealous of the footage...I'm within a few hours drive of that location and had it on my wishlist but the whole "national volcanic monumment" part made me think it was a no go.

Do I discretely let him know that he shouldn't fly there or is this a legit spot to fly?

On a similar note what about Native American reservations?

2015-9-7
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i believe the country should belong to the people not the feds
2015-9-7
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Let people live and you live your life, fly smart, thats my 2 cents.
And after watching the video, HELL YEAH i would be filming it even if i am knowing that i am going to be arrested afterwards......
2015-9-7
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Indian reservations are sovereign nations. Check with the government in each one.
2015-9-7
Use props
mrapl1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

You can always check here at:   http://dronenoflyzones.com/   for anywhere you have question about in the U.S.A.
Oddly enough according to this site, you should be fine in this area as it is not flagged on the map and a nearby airport is.
I too was under the impression that all national parks were off limits because of an artical I had read several years back about some dimwhit who crashed his craft in a natural hot spring in Yellowstone National Park, at least I think that's where it was, and thus began this whole mess due to one individual, and honarable mentions to the jerk who about a month ago got nabbed for buzzing the Statue of Liberty, and the twit this passed week who crassed his rig into the stands of The US Open in Queens...

BTW... Excellent video...!

Helens Park

Helens Park
2015-9-7
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

It is FINE. Well, pretty sure.

It is a National Monument, not a National Park in this case. National Forests are okay in most cases as well. Sometimes though, these are mingled together. Also, remember it is take-off and landings you cannot do at the Parks, but the Park Superintendents can detain you anyway if you are not prepared to prove your case and you have messed up the wildlife or visitors in any way.

Just be smart, responsible, couteous, and careful regardless of where you go - even at your own city park.

SIDE NOTES:
According to my wife and many others, there is always the looming possibility that I am wrong. Gasp! So, here is the original memo advising National Park System administrators on what they must do to close off from drone traffic: http://www.nps.gov/policy/PolMemos/PM_14-05.htm
AND here is a very good list of areas in the "National Park System" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ... _national_monuments
Mount St. Helens National Monument may be under local administration, so it is up to them what to do.  As for National Parks themselves, A LOT is still under the control of the local NPS administrators; that is, THEY CAN allow special uses.  Here is a quote from the NPS Gov website:

The policy memo directs superintendents to use their existing authority within the Code of Federal Regulations to prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft, and to include that prohibition in the park’s compendium, a set of park-specific regulations.

All permits previously issued for unmanned aircraft will be suspended until reviewed and approved by the associate director of the National Park Service’s Visitor and Resource Protection directorate. The associate director must approve any new special use permits authorizing the use of unmanned aircraft. Superintendents who have previously authorized the use of model aircraft for hobbyist or recreational use may allow such use to continue.

The National Park Service may use unmanned aircraft for administrative purposes such as search and rescue, fire operations and scientific study. These uses must also be approved by the associate director for Visitor and Resource Protection.

So, there you go.  Clear as mud, huh?

2015-9-7
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

Easier to say sorry... Just film
2015-9-7
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-9-8 01:09
It is FINE. Well, pretty sure.

It is a National Monument, not a National Park in this case. Nationa ...

Mr Muddy Waters.

it's permitted to fly unmanned aerial vehicles on National Forrest Service lands. The only prohibition on use I can find is this little didy "UAS are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” as such they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas. "

Per this http://www.fs.fed.us/science-tec ... ems/responsible-use
and this, http://www.fs.fed.us/science-tec ... ed-aircraft-systems
2015-9-8
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-8 08:51
Mr Muddy Waters.

it's permitted to fly unmanned aerial vehicles on National Forrest Service lands ...

As stated, any area run by the Department of Agriculture (i.e. National Forest Service), which includes Mt. Saint Helens, is allowed.  In fact, they give their tips here:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3845323.pdf

(The one that will always get people in trouble is paying attention to TFR areas.)

For the National Parks, it is no go to fly in them...  As someone else stated, took just a couple of idiots to keep flying over areas that had lots of people which generated a lot of complaints and you got the knee jerk reaction.  The National Parks unfortunately "manages" a lot of land, including the Cuyahoga National Park close to my house..  The challenge there is that there is a bunch of county metroparks that butt up against the national forest, so I have learned what I can fly in and what I can't...
2015-9-8
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

Thanks all!
2015-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules