12487 30 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Follow the steps below to setup and use the Waypoints feature in the DJI GO app. If you have additional tips or information below, please comment below.

Note: In order to create a waypoint mission, you must actually fly to each waypoint and manually mark those locations. Your Phantom will then be able to recall that mission and automatically fly it. The steps below will guide you through this process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Launch the Waypoints feature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Your Phantom needs to be started and in the air before you'll be able to access the Waypoints feature in the DJI GO app. Start your Phantom, take off, and hover at the location you'd like to set as the first waypoint in your mission.

2) Flip the PAF switch to the "F" position to access the IOC features. If Multiple Flight Mode is not enabled, you're going to see the following prompt:

If you see the above prompt, click the "OK" button to enable Multiple Flight Mode.

3) Select "Waypoints" from the IOC menu.

4) You might be prompted to verify your RTH Altitude setting. If so, ensure the altitude is set higher than all obstacles in your location. This will ensure that you do not accidentally crash into an obstacle if RTH initiates and your Phantom tries to return to the home point.

Mark the waypoints on the map.

Note: Skip to step #20 below if you want to load a previously flown waypoint mission.

5) Click the "New Mission" button to create a new waypoint mission.

6) A new menu will appear on the right side of the DJI GO app. Use this menu to mark the waypoints on the map.

The "Waypoints" count will show the number of waypoints on the map. It'll start at 0 and count up each time you fly your Phantom to a new location and add a new waypoint.

The "Total Distance" shows you the total distance your Phantom will travel as it flies to all of the waypoints in your mission.

7) Fly to each location where you'd like to add a new waypoint to the map and click the "Record" button. You can also press the C1 button on your remote controller to mark a new waypoint.

Note: Waypoints store the location, altitude, and direction the Phantom is facing. Make sure you descend or ascend to the desired altitude before marking each waypoint. Each waypoint can be set to a different altitude.

Click the "Delete" button to remove the last added waypoint from the map. You can also press the C2 button on your remote controller to remove the waypoint.

8) Click the "Done" button when you're done adding waypoints. Your mission should look something like this:

Configure the Waypoint settings.

9) A new menu will appear showing you settings to configure the heading, speed, and action to perform when the mission has completed.

10) In the "Head to" selection, choose the direction your Phantom should point as it travels to each waypoint. You have the following choices:

Consistent with Record: Point your Phantom in the direction it was facing when you recorded the waypoint.
Consistent with Route: Point your Phantom toward the waypoint it's flying to.
Free: Allows you to yaw and turn your Phantom in any direction as it travels to each waypoint.

11) Choose what should happen when your Phantom completes the mission. You have the following choices:

Hover: Your Phantom will hover at the location of the last waypoint.
Return to Home: Your Phantom will return to the home point.

12) Set the speed at which your Phantom should fly as it travels from waypoint to waypoint.

13) Click the "Apply" button to save your settings, send the mission details to your Phantom, and start the mission.

Important: Your Phantom will automatically fly to the location and altitude of the first waypoint before starting the mission. So, make sure there are no obstacles between its current location and the first waypoint.

Make adjustments as your Phantom flies its mission

14) A new menu will appear on the right side of the DJI GO app to allow you to control your Phantom as it travels on its mission.

15) Click the "Pause" button to make your Phantom stop at its current location and wait for further direction from you. Unpause to continue on with the mission.

16) The "Distance" value shows how far away your Phantom is from the home point. The is the distance in a straight line between the Phantom's current location and the home point.

17) As your Phantom is traveling the mission, you can adjust the speed slider to increase/decrease the speed. The speed value with change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Phantom will also start traveling at the new speed as you increase/decrease it.

18) Click the "Exit" button to stop the mission and exit the Waypoint function. You can also exit by flipping the PAF switch back to the "P" position.

Fly the same waypoint mission again.

19) After creating a waypoint mission, you can fly the same mission again by clicking the "Favorite Missions" button.

20) Select the mission you'd like to fly from the menu on the left and click the "Apply" button.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-9-7
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

Thanks! this is super helpful
2015-9-7
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

COOL.. THANKS
2015-9-7
Use props
lvl.4

United States

Anyone know why the speed is so limited?  Mine maxes out at 11.2 MPH.   Painfully slow
2015-9-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-9-8 01:08
Personally, I like the idea of having to 'fly' the route first. At least that way one would hope tha ...

Yes, you can pause the mission or cancel it.
2015-9-8
Use props
prauxloh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 264957 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-8 09:22
Yes, you can pause the mission or cancel it.

Thank you for the clear instructions, but I have to say I am disappointed with the Go app's waypoint capability.

Am I alone in thinking there is something a bit circular about having to fly a mission manually, in order to then have the aircraft fly it on it's own?   Clearly there are benefits in being able to call up a previous mission, particularly if you are monitoring a changing target, but I was hoping for a mission planner, not a mission recorder.   If most jobs are one offs - which they are in our case - this new waypoint facility does not help at all.

We are avid users of DJI Ground Station, using it to faithfully pilot our s800EVO between WPTs (we fly a lot gridded landscape surveys) having planned the flight to take account of wind conditions and crucially to maintain a constant speed, height and grid line separation.  This ensures we have consistent results and can generate robust orthomosaics.  

Does anyone know if any planning facility will be added to the Go App's waypoint capability?
2015-9-8
Use props
barleydave
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80810 ft
United Kingdom

Great stuff - thanks!
2015-9-8
Use props
gaigysyz
New

United Kingdom

Completely share prauxloh’s disappointment. What we need is a planner, not the ‘record and repeat’ function. Given the relatively short flight times, it is so crucial to be ableto plan the flight with waypoints before the flight and then to execute it. The only hope is that the third parties will develop apps with planning ability. Very disappointing…  
And flying the route first does not help with collision avoidance; most collisions happen because of the changing conditions or moving things (birds are good example). If someone is not taking potential stationary obstacles into account in a planning stage, I am afraid they will hit them even when they fly manually to record the waypoints.   
2015-9-8
Use props
Little132
lvl.2

United States

Great post. Thanks
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

prauxloh@mola.o Posted at 2015-9-8 02:02
Thank you for the clear instructions, but I have to say I am disappointed with the Go app's waypoi ...

I understand your concern and no you are not alone in how you feel about this.

All I can say at this point is that there will be several 3rd party SDK developers that will provide the features you are looking for.

Dave
2015-9-8
Use props
ablampron
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1852297 ft
Canada

Hi guys! Tried it today with my Inspire, this function will be super helpful.
Does someone knows how to erase or rename some of the favourite missions? Now they're just automatically named after the date/hour of the initial flight...
2015-9-8
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

gaigysyz Posted at 2015-9-8 18:07
Completely share prauxloh’s disappointment. What we need is a planner, not the ‘record and repeat ...

The max radius of 500M is what kills it for me.  Thats only 1/3 of a mile and the capability of the phantom is at least 3X's that.  I dont mind flying the waypoint first and saving it but the ability to only go 500M makes it very limiting.  Hopefully the 3rd party apps will be able to overcome these obstacles.  
2015-9-8
Use props
georgeh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168451 ft
Cyprus

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-9-9 04:16
The max radius of 500M is what kills it for me.  Thats only 1/3 of a mile and the capability of th ...

What is the point of waypoints flight, if you have to fly there to set the point. I fail to see, what sort of feature is this.
I was expecting that you could draw on the map (as APM) the waypoints, load it on the aircraft and that will execute the mission. Doint the same flight twice is just ... useless...
2015-9-9
Use props
evolicarus
lvl.3

United States

i was assuming we would have an autopilot mode to where we draw the route on the map and the phantom follows that route...  
2015-9-9
Use props
mikeon
lvl.4
United States

With my P2V Ground Station, I liked how you could edit the waypoints with exact latitude/longitude coordinates.  I would have the P2V fly the periphery of some wooded property I own, by inputting the coordinates of the corners.  Maybe this ability could be added to a saved waypoint flight.
2015-9-9
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

georgeh@gizet.c Posted at 2015-9-9 21:12
What is the point of waypoints flight, if you have to fly there to set the point. I fail to see, w ...

yeah I know.  The vision plus ground station is better.  Its probably some type of liability issue.  This way whatever route flown with the waypoints had to be flown first by the pilot.   If one is a serious filmer its useful to set up the flight route exactly as needed and then be able to retrace the exact route and control the camera only.  I would still prefer the older ground station and not have such a small radius to fly within.  
2015-9-9
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

I have difficulty understanding having to have your Phantom in the air in order to modify the velocity....or make modifications. That doesn't sound very safe to me. Frankly, this feature is " waypoint" in name only.
2015-9-9
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

I noticed when waypoint mission is finished and hovers, it will take no instructions unless I exit "F" mode. When I pause mission at a waypoint, will I have input to the drone before I continue mission?
2015-9-9
Use props
prauxloh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 264957 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mikedaniels Posted at 2015-9-9 23:26
I noticed when waypoint mission is finished and hovers, it will take no instructions unless I exit " ...

Another issue is this.  Surveying in a large area with our S800 , I will create a flight plan which is beyond the endurance of one battery. When that endurance approaches I land the aircraft replace batteries take off again having removed the waypoints that the aircraft has already visited. This ensures  it re-starts precisely where it left off and my image overlaps will be maintained. Dji Groundstation it's great for doing this but editing of an existing flightplan in the Go App in this way  is not possible. Anyone know otherwise?
2015-9-17
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

gaigysyz Posted at 2015-9-8 06:07
Completely share prauxloh’s disappointment. What we need is a planner, not the ‘record and repeat ...

If you use android, I believe the 'Litchi for DJI Phantom/Inspire' app will give you want you want.  it is a little pricey at $15, tho.
2015-9-17
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

mikedaniels Posted at 2015-9-9 18:26
I noticed when waypoint mission is finished and hovers, it will take no instructions unless I exit " ...

I haven't used this Waypoint feature of the GO app yet, but wondering what happens when you press the RTH button?   Can you at least get the copter to come home while it is hovering?
2015-9-17
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-9 00:34
I understand your concern and no you are not alone in how you feel about this.

All I can say at  ...

Hola Dave.  Will SDK Developers provide firmware/changes to DJI, or will Dji Users have to pay for firmware/changes?  Guess you've  heard enough about the 500M limit. Thanks.
2015-9-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-17 16:31
Hola Dave.  Will SDK Developers provide firmware/changes to DJI, or will Dji Users have to pay for ...

As far as I know users will have to pay for SDK firmware. Prices will very but they should be low in price.

Yeah, I know a lot of guys want the 500M limit lifted with the DJI firmware. Unfortunately I do not think that will happen.

Dave
2015-9-17
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-18 08:25
As far as I know users will have to pay for SDK firmware. Prices will very but they should be low  ...

Thanks Dave.................32 flights this week with my DJI3P and all have been perfect.
2015-9-17
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-17 17:28
Thanks Dave.................32 flights this week with my DJI3P and all have been perfect.

Wow and I thought I flew a lot.  Thats great!
2015-9-17
Use props
motch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44213 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lawyers and Liabilities...
Totally understand the meaning behind having to fly a route first.  While GroundStation makes sense, who confirms that there are no obstacle on the route when you planned it using the map?  The current Waypoint route gives DJI an out with regards to a crash using GroundStation.
These things are just going to get more and more controlled, as they become more and more common.  Enjoy it now!

Always
Motch
2015-9-17
Use props
gaigysyz
New

United Kingdom

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-9-17 15:45
If you use android, I believe the 'Litchi for DJI Phantom/Inspire' app will give you want you want ...

Thank you! £15 is little pricey indeed, but let's hope there will be alternatives.
500 metres  limit, in real-life high-resolution mapping application, is not that restricting. Flying bigger squares is not always possible with battery life limitations and smaller squares give manageable orthomosaic tiles. But I understand that not everyone flies exact squares and share there frustration.
2015-10-26
Use props
JimW396
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23228 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

Great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to post it.
2015-10-26
Use props
erik.brossmanfa
lvl.1
United States

Litchi is great. The ability to fly to a way point and stop (take pictures and video), then proceed to the next waypoint is amazing. Also, being able to set POI and have the aircraft always face the POI on its mission is awesome. I bought an android specifically for Litchi. The price for the app and an android device is well worth what I get out of Litchi.

DJI-Dave - Does DJI corporate have plans to limit more capabilities of 3rd party applications in the future. Litchi was able to fly higher than the 500M limit, but in the new upgrade of Litchi it was capped (due to SDK restrictions). I would hate to see the current Litchi app be handcuffed even more with future firmware and SDK upgrades.
2015-10-26
Use props
Little132
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the help
2015-10-26
Use props
usavet1974
lvl.1
Flight distance : 229488 ft
United States

awesome thx, I'll probably never use it!
2015-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules