Maintenance Required - Pilot 2 alarm
1374 23 2023-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CDKJnr
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi All. Our fleet can be serviced locally, but in order to clear the Maintenance requiered alarm in the pilot 2 app, DJI is saying that we need to ship all kit's back to them This makes no sense, so now we have certified resellers who can service all Enterprise drones, but we have to pay thousands to ship it to DJI just to have the event cleared............
2023-12-21
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not to mention the down time waiting on it to come back.  : )

I have one I'm waiting on return from maintenance so i can relate to your thoughts.
2023-12-21
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We confirmed with our engineers. The local dealer or seller can not clear the "Maintenance Required" message. It requires you to ship back to our service center for removing it. If your device can not be sent back now because of the mission, please send the drone back soon as it is idle.
2023-12-22
Use props
CDKJnr
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi Wanda, thanks for your reply. The current quoted shipping cost is about 1/10'th the cost of the entire drone, and this ONLY for a software update. If this is a request from DJI surely they should cover the cost for international shipments? Also we are trying to understand the "technical "reasons behind this? This means that many of our customers with more than 12 drones, will need to make at least 1 shipment every month?
2023-12-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

What causes this “Maintenance Required” message anyway? You’ve got me worried
2023-12-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

CDKJnr Posted at 12-26 06:45
Hi Wanda, thanks for your reply. The current quoted shipping cost is about 1/10'th the cost of the entire drone, and this ONLY for a software update. If this is a request from DJI surely they should cover the cost for international shipments? Also we are trying to understand the "technical "reasons behind this? This means that many of our customers with more than 12 drones, will need to make at least 1 shipment every month?

Sorry for the late response. May we know where you bought the device from? Can we have the SN of your device?
Note: Kindly click Reply so that we can receive a notification.
2023-12-28
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Now I know for sure that my next commercial drone will NOT be a DJI.  
2023-12-30
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 12-28 23:01
Sorry for the late response. May we know where you bought the device from? Can we have the SN of your device?
Note: Kindly click Reply so that we can receive a notification.

THIS is the kind of admin response that is a meaningless word salad. The question at hand is asking why this policy is in place with M3E's in general. Why is DJI the only one with the power to reset this warning? Then you come in requesting the DJI dealer and SN of the drone like it has anything to do with what's being asked? You yourself said "dealers can not clear this message" and "it requires you to send it back to our service center". So why is your next post asking who the reseller was? Just answer the question.

What is the technical reason behind this policy?
2023-12-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 2023-12-30 16:13
THIS is the kind of admin response that is a meaningless word salad. The question at hand is asking why this policy is in place with M3E's in general. Why is DJI the only one with the power to reset this warning? Then you come in requesting the DJI dealer and SN of the drone like it has anything to do with what's being asked? You yourself said "dealers can not clear this message" and "it requires you to send it back to our service center". So why is your next post asking who the reseller was? Just answer the question.

What is the technical reason behind this policy?

Hello, there. Sorry for the late response. OP's replies contain about the expensive shipping cost, which have to confirm with our teams. To this end, we need the Serial Number for checking and need to know the region and seller.
1-5 03:38
Use props
djiuser_5HdM5cq1FKGZ
lvl.1

Italy

A basic "deep cleaning, update & calibration" service for a M3E costs 250€ and gives you a downtime of about 3-4 weeks, not to mention standard & premium prices or the M30-M350 ones.
Not even car manufacturers are allowed to forbid third parties to do periodic maintenance and reset an indicator, this is absurd. Anyone with some drone knowledge is able to do those operations on his own, however not even trained dealers are allowed to do so (locally and with way lower downtimes).
1-5 07:09
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I just started receiving this same error message on the first of the year. Exactly one year after activating my current drone. So this relentless error message is purely based on time and not at all related to the actual use of the drone. If an M3E is flown once and sits in it's case for a year it will receive the same error message as a drone that is flown every day for a year straight. Why don't consumer Mavic's see this same message? Because DJI feels like companies are more likely to just pay up and send it in. Meaning, this message is just a money grab that won't go away until you have bent over, paid up and sent it in for DJI to clear. Only for it to re-appear a year later and you can bend over once more.
1-5 11:07
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-5 03:38
Hello, there. Sorry for the late response. OP's replies contain about the expensive shipping cost, which have to confirm with our teams. To this end, we need the Serial Number for checking and need to know the region and seller.

Please explain what this is all about. When you go to apply for maintenance it requires a code. When you go to retreive a code it says this: "Contact your nearest Enterprise Dealer for quotation". You have just stated above that "The local dealer or seller can not clear the "Maintenance Required" message." Does this make sense to anyone?

Second, it says one free maintenance is granted within the first year. So DJI waits exactly a year and one day to present us with this big red warning on Pilot 2's home screen every time we boot up the RC. How convenient to show this warning for the first time the day after our free maintenance has expired. Please tell me I have misunderstood something because this is a new low for your company.

Screenshot_20240105-212236.png
1-5 19:47
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-5 19:47
Please explain what this is all about. When you go to apply for maintenance it requires a code. When you go to retreive a code it says this: "Contact your nearest Enterprise Dealer for quotation". You have just stated above that "The local dealer or seller can not clear the "Maintenance Required" message." Does this make sense to anyone?

Second, it says one free maintenance is granted within the first year. So DJI waits exactly a year and one day to present us with this big red warning on Pilot 2's home screen every time we boot up the RC. How convenient to show this warning for the first time the day after our free maintenance has expired. Please tell me I have misunderstood something because this is a new low for your company.

Hello, there. Yes, those services include maintenance code and quotation service. Both services can contact the local Enterprise dealer. However, to clear or remove the Maintenance code, the device has to be sent back to our service center.  

The warning is just a reminder. If you think the device works properly, you can ignore it and continue to use the device.
The warning is calculated based on the total flight time/time since activation of the aircraft. It is a value-added service, you can choose whether to do that. We do not force our users to pay for it.
You can check here for the recommended maintenance time:  
https://enterprise.dji.com/enterprise-maintenance
1-6 00:30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_5HdM5cq1FKGZ Posted at 1-5 07:09
A basic "deep cleaning, update & calibration" service for a M3E costs 250€ and gives you a downtime of about 3-4 weeks, not to mention standard & premium prices or the M30-M350 ones.
Not even car manufacturers are allowed to forbid third parties to do periodic maintenance and reset an indicator, this is absurd. Anyone with some drone knowledge is able to do those operations on his own, however not even trained dealers are allowed to do so (locally and with way lower downtimes).

Sorry for the inconvenience. The warning is just a reminder. If you think the device works properly, you can ignore it and continue to use the device.
If you think the quotation is not reasonable, you can also contact us.
1-6 00:31
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-6 00:31
Sorry for the inconvenience. The warning is just a reminder. If you think the device works properly, you can ignore it and continue to use the device.
If you think the quotation is not reasonable, you can also contact us.

There needs to be a way to clear this message then. Being a litigious society, you’ll eventually be forced to do so.

The message popping up after 366 days is preposterous. These drones are NOT real aircraft with REAL people in them. Just like a drone “pilot” is not a REAL pilot in any way. So having some mandated maintenance like it’s a Part 121 air carrier is simply unnecessary.
1-6 08:00
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-6 00:30
Hello, there. Yes, those services include maintenance code and quotation service. Both services can contact the local Enterprise dealer. However, to clear or remove the Maintenance code, the device has to be sent back to our service center.  

The warning is just a reminder. If you think the device works properly, you can ignore it and continue to use the device.

No, this is not a warning nor is it a reminder. This is a bright red MAINTENANCE REQUIRED on the home screen in all caps. How do you think this looks to clients when they are looking over our shoulder and see this displayed? This is a very unprofessional look. If I have an accident with my drone, DJI Care Express will have me a replacement on my doorstep in 2 buisness days to minimize down time. With this crazy yearly requirement I have to start the process with DJI, then find a local Enterprise Dealer, contact that dealer, recieve a code, input that code back with DJI, send my drone to a dealer for a few days, they send it to DJI, you have it several days, send it back to the dealer who sends it back to me. This isn't a hobby to many of us, this is how we feed our families. Little Timmy's Mini 2 that's all beat up and sits on a shelf for a month at a time doesn't have this warning message come up. A week or 2 downtime would be no issue for them. So why does it come up on Enterprise drones that we depend on to put food on the table?
1-6 09:20
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got my code from DJI and sent the drone directly to DJI service in Cerritos CA. Took less than 2 weeks and cost nothing. No more red message on the home screen. Also, I think it is a part 107 requirement to follow manufacture maintenance guidelines but I'm not the FAA police.
1-6 15:04
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 1-6 15:04
I got my code from DJI and sent the drone directly to DJI service in Cerritos CA. Took less than 2 weeks and cost nothing. No more red message on the home screen. Also, I think it is a part 107 requirement to follow manufacture maintenance guidelines but I'm not the FAA police.

This is directly from the FAA: "You are responsible for ensuring a drone is safe before flying, but the FAA does not require small drones to comply with current agency airworthiness standards or obtain aircraft certification." Source- https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/small-unmanned-aircraft-systems-uas-regulations-part-107

Notice how it says YOU are responsible for ensuring a drone is safe. It doesn't say anything about the manufacture maintenance schedule.

However... If flying under Part 107.140 Category 4 operations (over people) it states..

Maintenance requirements for Category 4 - (i) Uses the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the manufacturer's current maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness that are acceptable to the Administrator, or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator;
(ii) Has the knowledge, skill, and appropriate equipment to perform the work;
(iv) Inspects the small unmanned aircraft in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions or other instructions acceptable to the Administrator; and
(v) Performs the maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alterations using parts of such a quality that the condition of the aircraft will be at least equal to its original or properly altered condition.
Source- https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/107.140#c_1
So by law DJI dealers are allowed to preform this routine maintenance. Actually, anybody "with the knowledge, skill, and appropriate equipment to perform the work" could do this. So the added step of sending it back to DJI is just to ensure they are the only ones in control.
1-6 15:52
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 1-6 08:00
There needs to be a way to clear this message then. Being a litigious society, you’ll eventually be forced to do so.

The message popping up after 366 days is preposterous. These drones are NOT real aircraft with REAL people in them. Just like a drone “pilot” is not a REAL pilot in any way. So having some mandated maintenance like it’s a Part 121 air carrier is simply unnecessary.

We understand this scenario may cause some inconvenience to our users. We also confirmed this message to our engineers and as we explained above, you can continue to use the device if you think maintenance is not required. It is not an error message and will not impact the warranty or Care services. It does not mean the maintenance service is necessary.
Of course, we also passed the thread and the requests to our engineers for evaluation.
1-8 04:11
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-6 09:20
No, this is not a warning nor is it a reminder. This is a bright red MAINTENANCE REQUIRED on the home screen in all caps. How do you think this looks to clients when they are looking over our shoulder and see this displayed? This is a very unprofessional look. If I have an accident with my drone, DJI Care Express will have me a replacement on my doorstep in 2 buisness days to minimize down time. With this crazy yearly requirement I have to start the process with DJI, then find a local Enterprise Dealer, contact that dealer, recieve a code, input that code back with DJI, send my drone to a dealer for a few days, they send it to DJI, you have it several days, send it back to the dealer who sends it back to me. This isn't a hobby to many of us, this is how we feed our families. Little Timmy's Mini 2 that's all beat up and sits on a shelf for a month at a time doesn't have this warning message come up. A week or 2 downtime would be no issue for them. So why does it come up on Enterprise drones that we depend on to put food on the table?

As we explained above, the message does not mean your drone has any issues and we confirmed with our engineers that it will not influence the warranty services or Care services you had. We do not force any users to take the maintenance service.  You can continue using the drone if it works properly.
We understand it may cause inconvenience to some users, we have forwarded the thread to them and let them consider the request.
1-8 04:26
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 1-8 04:26
As we explained above, the message does not mean your drone has any issues and we confirmed with our engineers that it will not influence the warranty services or Care services you had. We do not force any users to take the maintenance service.  You can continue using the drone if it works properly.
We understand it may cause inconvenience to some users, we have forwarded the thread to them and let them consider the request.

Thank you for bringing it to your engineers attention. It's still didn't touch on the question of why this is only for Enterprise drones and not the almost identical consumer series. The process would be much easier, around the same price and save almost 2 weeks of downtime if... Instead of sending for maintenance I just intentionally run my M3E into a tree on day 364 and use one of my DJI care replacements. Don't worry, I can't do this anyways because my DJI care expired when it said I had 14 days still remaining to renew. I called your support number and spoke with someone 3 weeks ago who was going to reach back out to me via email, and I have yet to hear back. They took my drones SN# and said they would review but I'm not sure if it went any further.
1-8 06:09
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-8 06:09
Thank you for bringing it to your engineers attention. It's still didn't touch on the question of why this is only for Enterprise drones and not the almost identical consumer series. The process would be much easier, around the same price and save almost 2 weeks of downtime if... Instead of sending for maintenance I just intentionally run my M3E into a tree on day 364 and use one of my DJI care replacements. Don't worry, I can't do this anyways because my DJI care expired when it said I had 14 days still remaining to renew. I called your support number and spoke with someone 3 weeks ago who was going to reach back out to me via email, and I have yet to hear back. They took my drones SN# and said they would review but I'm not sure if it went any further.

Sorry for the late response.
DJI Enterprise provides lifetime maintenance program to your aircraft, so you can fly safer as the aircraft is kept at top performance all the time.
For the support service you said, can we have the number you called and your own phone number?
We have to let our related teams confirm what has happened.
1-10 01:13
Use props
mpresutto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 732287 ft
United States

Thank you for the information.
2-6 10:09
Use props
nicopty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2636198 ft
  • >>>
Panama

How can I reset or delete this maintenance required message?
4-22 11:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules