compass calibration
521 3 2023-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hillbillyflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 360505 ft
United States

I just went out for to do some testing at night. Totally dark. I powered everything on and got a unable to take off compass calibration required. Went through the steps and all worked out fine. After my flight I came in a did some research and saw there may be a possibility that it had something to do with the darkness?  Another question. Is there anything I should keep my eye out for now that I have messed with the compass? Seems like a pretty rudamentry process spinning a drone around in the dark.

2023-12-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, hillbillyflyer. It is recommended to not use the aircraft in a poorly lit environment without GPS signals (such as at night or in a dark indoor corner). The aircraft may drift or not hover when flying in these environments. Using the aircraft in a well-lit environment with strong GPS signals is more advised. Have a nice day.
2023-12-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. The user will be notified on the app if the calibration is required and necessary. The compass can be affected when interference is present such as metal objects, structures, or radio frequency. As for the environmental requirements during the compass calibrations, you may refer to the details below:

> Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground.
> Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones.
> Do not calibrate beside large metal objects.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to reach us anytime.
2023-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I just went out for to do some testing at night. Totally dark. I powered everything on and got a unable to take off compass calibration required.
The message you saw is quite misleading.
It's all about the darkness and has nothing at all to do with the compass.
When I've encountered it, no amount of compass calibrating made any difference.
I've gotten past it a couple of times by using a flashlight and illuminating the area around the drone.

Another question. Is there anything I should keep my eye out for now that I have messed with the compass?
If your drone is hovering and flying properly, the compass is fine.
Normally there's no need to ever recalibrate the compass.

2023-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules