Gimbal always gets jammed with Freewell ND filters
727 11 2023-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob Rees
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16280 ft
France

Getting very frustrated with my Pocket 3 when using Freewell ND filters.  When I shut down the Pocket the gimbal rotates to protect the lens, but when it is using a wide-angle adapter or filter it is supposed to rotate to a different position so the external filter can be accommodated (or removed if necessary).  But with the Freewell ND filters the gimbal is just about able to rotate in to the standard position which traps the filter, and worse still stops the gimbal opening up properly next time you power up the Pocket.  It's deeply frustrating.

As a suggestion, can DJI add in a future firmware update the option to tell the camera a filter is fitted, so it always rotates to that storage position rather than trying to rotate to the normal position. Pretty please...!
2023-12-23
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Pocket 3 doesn’t detect the use of any filter, so it will never know if there is a filter installed. The only way it detects is when closing - if it senses an obstruction when the gimbal is being ‘parked’ it will rotate the gimbal and store it in the opposite direction - so its a purely mechanical thing rather then software - as far as I’m aware anyways.
2023-12-23
Use props
Rob Rees
lvl.2
France

IftiBashir Posted at 12-23 07:39
The Pocket 3 doesn’t detect the use of any filter, so it will never know if there is a filter installed. The only way it detects is when closing - if it senses an obstruction when the gimbal is being ‘parked’ it will rotate the gimbal and store it in the opposite direction - so its a purely mechanical thing rather then software - as far as I’m aware anyways.

Yes, I believe that’s the way it does work. But it’s not foolproof; I had three or four occasions today when the gimbal jammed in its normal storage position because it failed to detect that I had a Freewell ND filter attached. The gimbal returned to its normal storage position, then was unable to open to record another clip as the filter stopped it rotating correctly in to the open position.  It’s a real pain when it happened, and I’ve seen a couple of references to this problem on YouTube reviews.
2023-12-23
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It maybe something with the size of the Freewell filters. Perhaps they are slightly smaller? I have the DJI filters and do not experience that issue.
2023-12-23
Use props
Rob Rees
lvl.2
France

Visual Air Posted at 12-23 09:13
It maybe something with the size of the Freewell filters. Perhaps they are slightly smaller? I have the DJI filters and do not experience that issue.

I did wonder if that might be the case.

I just tried again to see what would happen. Tried three times to shut down then turn on the Pocket 3. It correctly detected the filter on one occasion, and rotated the gimbal in to the alternate closed position. But twice it didn’t recognise the presence of the filter and rotated them gimbal in to the usual closed position with the filter still attached.
2023-12-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got a set of Freewell ND filters and not having that issue.  I wonder if it is something wrong with your set of filters.  Have you tried to contact Freewell?  They have always been very responsive to my inquiries.  
2023-12-23
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder whether it’s gimbal itself - we had another post here recently where the gimbal seemed slightly misaligned when in storage mode - I wonder if yours is similar??
2023-12-23
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I had this happen one time. I figured I might have inadvertently moved the camera on the gimbal but, even if not, I frankly doubted whether DJI would be interested. So, as what was intended as a temporary measure, I stuck a piece of Scotch tape onto the camera with a 4x3 TV-shaped hole for the lens so that any filter now sits on a layer of tape. My hope was for the tape to be thick enough to prevent the camera + filter from swivelling to its normal rest position but thin enough to have a minimal effect on the magnetic attraction.

Since it wasn't a persistent problem, I can't say with absolute conviction that it is 100% solved, especially as 8 times out of 10 I tend to remove the filter before shutting down as a precaution, but the theory seems sound and the 'fix' is so inconspicuous that it has probably graduated from temporary to permanent.

I bought a set of tempered glass screen protectors from Amazon which would probably do the same job even better but I only ever fitted the one intended for the touchscreen because I was worried the lens protector might adversely affect the camera's image or magnetism. I did however notice that some of the advertised protectors were plastic film instead of glass (so presumably thicker than my tape yet thinner than glass), which could be another and more elegant way I might try to fully solve the issue.
2023-12-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Installing the Wide-Angle Lens will not affect the device entering Storage Mode once powered off. When Osmo Pocket 3 is powered off and enters Storage Mode, the lens will first rotate inwards. The wide-angle lens touches the axis arm lightly and then rotates in the opposite direction to the screen. Once done, it can be stored in the protective case. Rest assured, I'll forward your concern to the related team for evaluation. We appreciate your patience.
2023-12-24
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 12-24 00:39
Hi there. Installing the Wide-Angle Lens will not affect the device entering Storage Mode once powered off. When Osmo Pocket 3 is powered off and enters Storage Mode, the lens will first rotate inwards. The wide-angle lens touches the axis arm lightly and then rotates in the opposite direction to the screen. Once done, it can be stored in the protective case. Rest assured, I'll forward your concern to the related team for evaluation. We appreciate your patience.

But the OP is referring to third-party filters from Freewell, which it seems may be too thin to always touch the axis arm.
2023-12-24
Use props
Drift.dk
lvl.3
  • >>>
South Korea

TooDeep Posted at 12-23 20:51
I had this happen one time. I figured I might have inadvertently moved the camera on the gimbal but, even if not, I frankly doubted whether DJI would be interested. So, as what was intended as a temporary measure, I stuck a piece of Scotch tape onto the camera with a 4x3 TV-shaped hole for the lens so that any filter now sits on a layer of tape. My hope was for the tape to be thick enough to prevent the camera + filter from swivelling to its normal rest position but thin enough to have a minimal effect on the magnetic attraction.

Since it wasn't a persistent problem, I can't say with absolute conviction that it is 100% solved, especially as 8 times out of 10 I tend to remove the filter before shutting down as a precaution, but the theory seems sound and the 'fix' is so inconspicuous that it has probably graduated from temporary to permanent.

LENS PROTECTOR has a bad effect on image quality.
Even if they are glass, they will increase ghosting and flare at night.

This is true for full-frame cameras as well, and professional videographers advise that protective filters should be removed when shooting.
2023-12-24
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Drift.dk Posted at 12-24 09:06
LENS PROTECTOR has a bad effect on image quality.
Even if they are glass, they will increase ghosting and flare at night.

I guessed as much, which is why I suggest making a hole in a plastic film protector so that it's effectively now a simple spacer for the Freewell ND filters. I trimmed a piece of tape to do the job but may go the made-to-fit lens protector route, which I assume will result in a thicker spacer, if the tape stops working. But I agree, I would not cover the actual lens with what amounts to an extra layer of glass and its adhesive.
2023-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules