Strange battery operation after firmware upgrade has me afraid to fly (pics)
2242 15 2014-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dustylion
New

United States

So I'm the a 2 week own of a DJI Phantom 2+.  After a few early flights I plugged my phantom up to my PC to update all if its software and firmware.  Everything was going fine till it reached the battery firmware where it stopped halfway through and told me the update failed please try again.  I think got a warning icon in the bottom corner telling me I no longer had a DJI Intelligent Battery.
http://i.imgur.com/uNcmLhQ.jpg

While that is a bit worrying the big problem is a sudden change in battery operation.  The 4 LEDs no longer seem to indicate remaining power, instead only the 2 and 4rd LED's light up.  In addition the power on and power off procedure has changed to a single button press, instead of the two press default.  THis behavior persists whether it is in the drone or not.

http://i.imgur.com/XIlXryr.jpg

Is this a real problem?  Do I need to send my battery back to DJI and is it or is it not safe to fly?

2014-12-10
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Never seen that. I would discharge and re charge. I assume its not a clone battery.
2014-12-10
Use props
dustylion
New

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-11 00:57
Never seen that. I would discharge and re charge. I assume its not a clone battery.

It was at about 20% charge when I started updating it, I put it on the charger afterwards.  I'll run it through a full discharge again.  I don't know what a clone battery is, this is the one that came with the drone.
2014-12-10
Use props
siweckipawel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57070 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Hello, it looks like the firmware in battery is corrupt, pls run update procedure on battery again if possible.

Pawel
2014-12-10
Use props
dustylion
New

United States

siweckipawel@gm Posted at 2014-12-11 04:28
Hello, it looks like the firmware in battery is corrupt, pls run update procedure on battery again i ...

It is not possible, the PC assistant client is telling me no updates are available.
2014-12-10
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Just off topic,  to post pictures on the site I have to enable compatibility mode, saves all the links etc...
No idea about the battery
2014-12-10
Use props
Dboy
lvl.3

China

What is your battery loader and firmware version?
2014-12-10
Use props
dustylion
New

United States

Dboy Posted at 2014-12-11 10:57
What is your battery loader and firmware version?

I don't know what a battery loader is, but here is the relevant screen shots from the Assistant.

http://i.imgur.com/zD1s9qp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HYGt5sF.jpg

I can't help but notice in the second screenshot that all the numbers are the same and that the the number of discharges shown is rediculously higher then the number of times I've flown.
2014-12-12
Use props
b.w.j
Second Officer

Denmark

Do you have 5911 loading times on your battery, like the screen says ????
2014-12-12
Use props
dustylion
New

United States

b.w.j@joergense Posted at 2014-12-13 03:08
Do you have 5911 loading times on your battery, like the screen says ????

No, those numbers are clearly bogus, they're all the same and I've only flown like 5 times before this happened.
2014-12-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

dustylion@gmail Posted at 2014-12-13 03:22
No, those numbers are clearly bogus, they're all the same and I've only flown like 5 times before  ...

Delete your app and reinstall it, then try again.  Also, check the 2 push pins on the plug inside the Phantom and make sure they are clean and not sticking.
2014-12-12
Use props
panadeineforte
New

Australia

I have the same issue.  The battery is almost completely new.  I updated the firmware, then took it for a flight for about 10 minutes. When I switched the battery off and back on, it was only showing the 2nd and 3rd LED.  Phantom won't take off.  Switched back to my other battery which I have not updated firmware and it is fine.  I think DJI needs to come out with a fix pretty quickly.  I'm starting to see numerous reports of this now.
2014-12-14
Use props
Dboy
lvl.3

China

dustylion@gmail Posted at 2014-12-13 02:41
I don't know what a battery loader is, but here is the relevant screen shots from the Assistant.

That may be caused by update failure.
Just like our smartphone, the firmware incomplete may lead to strange problems.
could you re-upgrade the firmware by press 'No Upgrades' button?
If couldn't, I think your battery is still in the warranty, try to contact your local dealer.
2014-12-14
Use props
dustylion
New

United States

Dboy Posted at 2014-12-15 10:21
That may be caused by update failure.
Just like our smartphone, the firmware incomplete may lead to ...

I bought off Amazon, do i contact them or DJI directly?
2014-12-15
Use props
jochasphoto61
lvl.1

United States

I'm also a one week owner of a new P2V+ and tried to update my battery and now it's a brick. Fortunately the dealer replaced the battery.
2014-12-15
Use props
Dboy
lvl.3

China

dustylion@gmail Posted at 2014-12-16 03:15
I bought off Amazon, do i contact them or DJI directly?

You just brought it within 3 weeks, I think it still in the Amazon's warranty, try to contact them in time
2014-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules