Please allow for option to RTH to the controller location
1079 30 2023-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gerdpeterw
lvl.1
  • >>>
Germany

Please allow for the drone to continuously update the HP to the location of the RC - important to all hikers and bikers who love active track.....
If that isn't possible, please allow the "update home point" function to be on either of the function buttons (C1 or C2 on the RC2).

Thx !
2023-12-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. We do appreciate your sharing your suggestion with us. Rest assured that this will be forwarded to our relevant team for future reference. We encourage you to pay attention to our official website for future updates.
2023-12-31
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-31 00:36
Hi, there. We do appreciate your sharing your suggestion with us. Rest assured that this will be forwarded to our relevant team for future reference. We encourage you to pay attention to our official website for future updates.

HI Gamora,

This has been asked for many years now....so guess the relevant team has got a answer by now....or??

cheers
JJB
2023-12-31
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

C1/C2 button would be a bad idea imho as these are too easily hit inadvertently. I would settle for a simple on-screen question when activating RTH, eg: 'Do you want to return to the take-off point or to the RC's current location?'.
2023-12-31
Use props
Gerdpeterw
lvl.1
  • >>>
Germany

trainee Posted at 12-31 02:12
C1/C2 button would be a bad idea imho as these are too easily hit inadvertently. I would settle for a simple on-screen question when activating RTH, eg: 'Do you want to return to the take-off point or to the RC's current location?'.

Good point…I agree with the confirmation prompt…

A dedicated, always visible screen button (and a subsequent confirmation prompt) would also work well….

My preferred choice, though is continuous updating with GPS coordinates of the RC2…simple and
(relatively) fail safe in the situation examples above…

Even if the drone has to trigger emergency RTH for loss of connection or battery drain, there is a good chance that the last known GPS points to the trail u are on, so landing is likely possible (albeit not guaranteed - You wouldn’t use that option if you are hiking through terrain with heavy canopy….)

You would have to know your risks in picking the option - still much better than the drone start moving towards an RTH that may be a kilometer ore more away from my current location…

2023-12-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 2023-12-31 01:31
HI Gamora,

This has been asked for many years now....so guess the relevant team has got a answer by now....or??

Hi, JJB. I appreciate your follow-up on this matter. I'm afraid that we still don't have relevant information regarding this particular request. However, we're continuously forwarding related feedback and requests. If all requirements are met, this may possibly be added in the future. However, it's recommended to pay attention to our official website for future updates. Thank you for your understanding.
1-1 00:25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-1 00:25
Hi, JJB. I appreciate your follow-up on this matter. I'm afraid that we still don't have relevant information regarding this particular request. However, we're continuously forwarding related feedback and requests. If all requirements are met, this may possibly be added in the future. However, it's recommended to pay attention to our official website for future updates. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Gamora,

Ofcourse i will pay attention to your website etc.

But why don`t you have relevant information about this request ??
I will tell you why....because the position of GPS from a mobile device not always work good enough, same for GPS position of the RC.  this means that automatically update HomePoint to the RC/Mob device position often fails. That is why it is not implemented in the FlyApp as an option.

cheers
JJB
1-1 01:35
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

trainee Posted at 2023-12-31 02:12
C1/C2 button would be a bad idea imho as these are too easily hit inadvertently. I would settle for a simple on-screen question when activating RTH, eg: 'Do you want to return to the take-off point or to the RC's current location?'.

I would settle for a simple on-screen question when activating RTH, eg: 'Do you want to return to the take-off point or to the RC's current location?'.
You mean like this ??
The app you fly with already has that feature.
Screenshot_20240101-163102.jpg
1-1 05:08
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-1 05:08
I would settle for a simple on-screen question when activating RTH, eg: 'Do you want to return to the take-off point or to the RC's current location?'.
You mean like this ??
The app you fly with already has that feature.

Aha! Just goes to show how hard I'm concentrating on VLOS…
1-1 12:44
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

C1/C2 button would be a bad idea imho as these are too easily hit inadvertently. I would settle for a simple on-screen question when activating RTH, eg: 'Do you want to return to the take-off point or to the RC's current location?'.

That's actually an option on my Matrice M30 and the RC+ Enterprise controller - but I have to go into the menu and manually update the home point - to the controller position option.
1-1 17:50
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 1-1 01:35
Hi Gamora,

Ofcourse i will pay attention to your website etc.

Thank you for your input regarding this matter. After the request has been forwarded, this will be evaluated by our engineers, however, it will depend on the request and the user's feedback. Our corresponding team may provide information about the request if the request is obviously not achievable for a certain product but we can take it as future reference.
1-5 02:08
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Nice idea, but does not really is the solution for the request.

If i have time to press a btn for RTH, than i have time do dive in the menu and select the RC for my new homepoint.But a prompt to shortcut this is easier to do.

But what if i losse the connection with my drone ?

When i go for a nice walk, drone tracking me. After 10 minutes i loose connection.
Drone returns to homepoint wich was 10 minutes before set a different location.
Oke, so i have to reset HP now and then....Murphy law will be active, lost connection just before i wanna update HP!
No restore of connection, drone lands closeby on top of trees  ;-)
On a riding bicycle ; not very handy to dive into the menu to find the option to reset HP to RC position, so a C1 or C2 option to set HP to RC is usefull in such situations.

Best solution ofcourse is to have a option to set HP to the RC position, every 5 seconds an update if RC position is moving.

Why DJI is not implementing this...well  i have an idea why not.

cheers
JJB

1-5 04:42
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-5 02:08
Thank you for your input regarding this matter. After the request has been forwarded, this will be evaluated by our engineers, however, it will depend on the request and the user's feedback. Our corresponding team may provide information about the request if the request is obviously not achievable for a certain product but we can take it as future reference.

Hi Gamora,

I cannot make any chocloate of your writing, between the lines i read a NO.
This request has been forwarded so many times in the last 5 years....
User feedback ? feedback on a non existing option ?

cheers
JJB

1-5 04:45
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

idea is good, just make it not easy to press by mistake. so i would propose 1) change in menus to activate that option + 2) press C1+C2 together, so it would not switch by accident, which is less likely if only one button would be requred
1-5 06:18
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 1-5 04:42
Hi,

Can the Home Point be updated if you have lost connection?
1-6 01:21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

trainee Posted at 1-6 01:21

no, homepoint position is stored in the drone ofcourse, so without a conection no way to get a HP changed in th drone.

cheers
JJB
1-6 01:28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

trainee Posted at 1-6 01:21

Can you send a message to the drone to tell it what its new home point is .... when there is no connection to the drone.
Sure ... of course you can.
1-6 01:29
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

fully agree! that would be awesome to have
1-6 04:21
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

fully agree! that would be awesome to have
1-6 04:22
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 2023-12-31 01:31
HI Gamora,

I also like the idea of "return to controller".

I often walk a decent distance from the launch point after launching - - - and would prefer the drone to return to where I am; not where I launched.

I would not assign this to the C1/C2: Too easy to hit inadvertently.  (I use C1=autopilot and C2=aux light).
1-6 06:41
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-6 21:26
Use props
Raziel89
lvl.1

Poland

Totally agree with the post author. I make road building photo documentation so i start Drone at some point and land i.e. 5km further - we are heading the drone while seating in the car. (Driver and drone pilot) - so it's always vlos flying.
And yeah, there should be some shortcut to quickly change the RTH poiny or kind of "default" setting to set once - "return to controller position always"
3-14 02:33
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-5 02:08
Thank you for your input regarding this matter. After the request has been forwarded, this will be evaluated by our engineers, however, it will depend on the request and the user's feedback. Our corresponding team may provide information about the request if the request is obviously not achievable for a certain product but we can take it as future reference.

Users constantly ask you for this feature, it is implemented by other drone manufacturers, it is implemented by third-party software developers for DJI drones, why is there still no response? Moreover, such a function was present on older DJI drones and was called “dynamic point”.
It’s strange that your engineers still doubt its necessity.
3-14 04:41
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Serg SSA Posted at 3-14 04:41
Users constantly ask you for this feature, it is implemented by other drone manufacturers, it is implemented by third-party software developers for DJI drones, why is there still no response? Moreover, such a function was present on older DJI drones and was called “dynamic point”.
It’s strange that your engineers still doubt its necessity.

Hi, Serg SSA. Rest assured that all of your suggestions are being forwarded to our relevant team, however, we can't guarantee that everything will be implemented as it depends on their evaluation. Thank you for your kind understanding.
3-14 19:34
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

Just replace the land option in the return to home popup with return to controller, or just add another round selection button in there for it. In my opinion the land option is too easy to for a novice to hit in bright sunlight in a panicky situation, eg, if you're already in a sketchy signal situation and the drone starts to land and lowers altitude and looses signal entirely, you just lost the option to change what the drone is doing, and you're looking at a hopefully I can find my drone scenario.
In terms of the drone returning to the controller, there must be some kind of issue with this otherwise DJI would be using the controller for some of the auto tracking features. Perhaps some liabilty concerns with this, lol
3-15 05:46
Use props
fans7a3a06df
lvl.1

United Kingdom

If I'm correct, the GPS receiver is located in the drone itself and not the controller, so it would not be possible to update the HP as it will update the drone position and not the controller?
3-15 23:33
Use props
fans7a3a06df
lvl.1

United Kingdom

If I'm correct, the GPS receiver is located in the drone itself and not the controller, so it would not be possible to update the HP as it will update the drone position and not the controller position I stand corrected - the RC2 does have GPS  
3-15 23:34
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

fans7a3a06df Posted at 3-15 23:34
If I'm correct, the GPS receiver is located in the drone itself and not the controller, so it would not be possible to update the HP as it will update the drone position and not the controller position

The drone has a GPS receiver, the RC2 remote control also has one,
and if you use the N2 remote control, then the smartphone’s GPS

3-15 23:57
Use props
DJIDronePete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14360 ft
United Kingdom

Serg SSA Posted at 3-15 23:57
The drone has a GPS receiver, the RC2 remote control also has one,
and if you use the N2 remote control, then the smartphone’s GPS

+1 for this desirable feature (albeit in my case for the Mini 3 Pro). I was thinking this the other day as I plan to try out the follow me feature cycling (most likely downhill - would be a right pain to have to cycle back uphill to find the drone, which would also be at risk of theft if it landed itself).

Personally I would prefer a "fly to controller but don't land unless the battery is low" feature given that while the drone might be launched from somewhere that is clear enough for the drone to land, the new location (especially if connection is lost) may not be and hopefully connection can then be re-gained.
3-16 00:28
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

DJIDronePete Posted at 3-16 00:28
+1 for this desirable feature (albeit in my case for the Mini 3 Pro). I was thinking this the other day as I plan to try out the follow me feature cycling (most likely downhill - would be a right pain to have to cycle back uphill to find the drone, which would also be at risk of theft if it landed itself).

Personally I would prefer a "fly to controller but don't land unless the battery is low" feature given that while the drone might be launched from somewhere that is clear enough for the drone to land, the new location (especially if connection is lost) may not be and hopefully connection can then be re-gained.

If you have a Mini 3, you can use the third-party software Litchi Pilot.
This software has a controller tracking feature.Of course, only if you have remote control No. 1
Can be bought cheaply on the secondary market)

3-16 01:33
Use props
MKmini4
lvl.3
Germany

RE: Please allow for option to RTH to the controller location

JJB* Posted at 1-5 04:42
Hi,

In this case, the default setting "Hover" would be better. In the event of signal loss, you would only need to go back a short distance and regain reception.
Sure, an automatic return to the remote control would be more convenient, but it will take some time before this option might be implemented.
3-16 02:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules